HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

34% of iPhone 4 owners think they have a 4G device

Old
07-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

vCash: 500
34% of iPhone 4 owners think they have a 4G device

http://www.bgr.com/2011/07/13/confus...4g-study-says/

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

And the 24 percent of BB owners think the same? Did they seriously go find the stupidest people in America to poll?

I'm sure if you asked people who TRULY know what their cell phones are capable of, they'd have a more accurate poll.

Of course in Apple's case, it doesn't matter. They'll release a 4G one and people will flock to it like candy, ready to plunk down $500 out of contract just to own it.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:17 PM
MayDay

Not surprising at all.

Apple released a phone called 'iPhone 3G' and then they subsequently released another phone called 'iPhone 4.'

If you were an average person who doesn't follow the ins-and-outs of wireless data standards and technologies, what would you assume? It's easy to see how people would conclude from the names that 'iPhone 4' is a fourth-generation device and that's what 4G must stand for.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

I was just coming to post this

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:21 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Not surprising at all.

Apple released a phone called 'iPhone 3G' and then they released their next phone called 'iPhone 4.'

If you were an average person who doesn't follow the ins-and-outs of wireless data standards and technologies, what would you assume?
Version 'x' of something.

But 29% isn't much better than 34%, and I doubt they're that many Android users with a Thunderbolt, EVO 4G, etc.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Puck
Ninja

Well, a lot of 3G products have been branded as near-4G or 4G capable by clever marketing, so it isn't very surprising. Who knows what 4G means anymore.

A good question to ask when buying a new 4G phone will have to be, 'What does 4G really mean on this phone with your network?' (in other words, will your existing cell network be capable of pushing real consistent 4G bandwidth according to international standards in this city?). Getting near 4G speeds only between midnight and 7AM might be 4G to some telecoms but maybe not their clients.

Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Version 'x' of something.

But 29% isn't much better than 34%, and I doubt they're that many Android users with a Thunderbolt, EVO 4G, etc.
Actually, if you look at all the high end handsets available over the past half a year 29% seems a bit low actually. I'd say more Android users aren't aware they have a 4G device.

4G Android Phones available in US (via carriers):

AT&T:
Motorola Atrix 4G (HSPA+)
HTC Inspire 4G (HSPA+)
Samsung Infuse 4G (HSPA+)

Verizon:
HTC Thunderbolt (LTE)
Samsung DROID Charge (LTE)
LG Revolution (LTE)

Sprint:
HTC EVO 4G (WiMAX)
HTC EVO 4G Shift (WiMAX)
HTC EVO 3D (WiMAX)
Samsung Nexus S 4G (WiMAX)
Samsung Epic 4G (WiMAX)

T-Mobile:
HTC G2 (HSPA+)
HTC myTouch 4G (HSPA+)
HTC Sensation 4G (HSPA+)
Samsung Galaxy S 4G (HSPA+)
Samsung Sidekick 4G (HSPA+)
LG G2X (HSPA+)

I don't agree with calling HSPA+ 4G, but for the sake of giving some people dupped by carrier reps the benefit of the doubt I include the HSPA+ devices.

Also this aligns well with the latest manufacturer marketshare stats. Also, HTC's best selling phone in the US is the EVO 4G.

Last edited by Sined: 07-13-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old
07-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Actually, if you look at all the high end handsets available over the past half a year 29% seems a bit low actually. I'd say more Android users aren't aware they have a 4G device.

4G Android Phones available in US (via carriers):

AT&T:
Motorola Atrix 4G (HSPA+ aka pseudo 4G)
HTC Inspire 4G (HSPA+ aka pseudo 4G)
Samsung Infuse 4G (HSPA+ aka pseudo 4G)

Verizon:
HTC Thunderbolt (LTE)
Samsung DROID Charge (LTE)
LG Revolution (LTE)

Sprint:
HTC EVO 4G (WiMAX)
HTC EVO 4G Shift (WiMAX)
HTC EVO 3D (WiMAX)
Samsung Nexus S 4G (WiMAX)
Samsung Epic 4G (WiMAX)

T-Mobile:
HTC G2 (HSPA+)
HTC myTouch 4G (HSPA+)
HTC Sensation 4G (HSPA+)
Samsung Galaxy S 4G (HSPA+)
Samsung Sidekick 4G (HSPA+)
LG G2X (HSPA+)

I don't agree with calling HSPA+ 4G, but for the sake of giving some people dupped by carrier reps the benefit of the doubt I include the HSPA+ devices.

Also this aligns well with the latest manufacturer marketshare stats. Also, HTC's best selling phone in the US is the EVO 4G.
Sprint users should know they've got 4G phones. They pay an extra $10 a month for it.

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Sprint users should know they've got 4G phones. They pay an extra $10 a month for it.
ROFL So true

Old
07-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

General public is dumb when it comes to anything technical (how many people still press the throttle when starting their fuel injected car?), but I think most of us knew this already?

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Hahaha, not at all surprising. I work at Fido, and tons of people call the phone the "iPhone 4G". I always subtly (or not so subtly) correct them by repeating, "yes, the iPhone 4..."

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:13 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:

Just about any new Android phone in the last 6 months is 4G.

And some like the EVO and Epic have been around longer.

Given the obscene (and accelerating) rate of Android growth, it's really not hard to believe that statistic isn't reasonably close to accurate.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:17 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Hipster Elitists!

General public still thinks Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11, and that Barrack Obama is a practicing Muslim. Never underestimate the stupidity of the masses.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:46 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I love when costumers ask for an iPhone 4G

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:57 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
It has the apps and the wifis!

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
What kind of costumes do they wear?

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:12 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
What kind of costumes do they wear?

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:22 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
It has the apps and the wifis!
And a lot of gee bees!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:29 AM
OnlyTheBrave*

3G works, when people finally get 4G phones, 5G or whatever will come out. I don't really care, just like I don't care that I own a blackberry phone and the Iphone and Android snobs keep asking me "omg, why do you even own that, barely anyone owns those!" - then I make that person stand with me for 10mins in one place and count how many people whip out a blackberry phone.

Apparently even more than I thought. People mostly buy the older ones though, I have the Torch but I don't see it around as often.

OnlyTheBrave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:28 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
And the 24 percent of BB owners think the same? Did they seriously go find the stupidest people in America to poll?

I'm sure if you asked people who TRULY know what their cell phones are capable of, they'd have a more accurate poll.

Of course in Apple's case, it doesn't matter. They'll release a 4G one and people will flock to it like candy, ready to plunk down $500 out of contract just to own it.
Come on though you have to admit even yourself that these comments are quite laughable.

I mean... of course they'd have a more accurate poll if they only polled people who are in the IT field or something

What would be the point of the poll then though

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:41 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
3G works, when people finally get 4G phones, 5G or whatever will come out. I don't really care, just like I don't care that I own a blackberry phone and the Iphone and Android snobs keep asking me "omg, why do you even own that, barely anyone owns those!" - then I make that person stand with me for 10mins in one place and count how many people whip out a blackberry phone.

Apparently even more than I thought. People mostly buy the older ones though, I have the Torch but I don't see it around as often.
Next time tell the person to whip out their phone and text you back and forth as fast as you're able to respond to them with the ease that you do it with, you know without deleting every 4th character or taking your sweet time in order to make sure it's all perfect.

Whenever I had a blackberry texting was a joke. Now that I have an Android texting is a nightmare. The T9 makes it even more annoying imo. I just disable it as I'd rather have 1 typo in a word than it change the word to something it completely isn't. It simply isn't intuitive at all imo. It will change words into **** they totally aren't, stuff that isn't even close to what you wrote or tried to write.

Not even joking you put something like hungry and you spell it hungy or something it changes it to "Hung Jury". This is just one example I made up and not what would really happen, just an example of the kind of stupid **** I see the T9 doing on a regular basis. I recently disabled it because honestly I don't see the point in using a T9 that is accurate maybe 1/20 times it's used. Then when you go to delete the characters unless you noticed it right away it won't revert to the original spelling. Sorry but when I'm trying to type fast and I hit R clear as day on the keyboard, I don't expect it to put an E therefore I continue typing and by the time I see the mistake/change it won't revert back to the original word. I have to go back, delete the word, re-put the word. It's just useless imo, it doesn't make it easier at all.

What seems harder to you

1) Changing one letter, having the thing never fix your mistakes.
2) Changing an entire word, having the thing fix one mistake out of twenty properly making you delete and re-type the word 19/20 times. Hrmm...

I don't know if it's just Android or this phone specifically, I thought T9 was just standard on phones. But I really find it to be absolute garbage. I know some people who swear by it but once you've had a blackberry with or even without T9 you realize just how garbage touch screens are for typing. Even with it setup to the best comfort level it doesn't even compare to a BB.

The only people who rag on BB are super huge nerds who whip their dick out at a bunch of apps and beat it, or the people who are just too cool for the BB. In a business world the BB is far and away the best phone to have.

Last edited by neofury*: 07-14-2011 at 09:51 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
And it's still cheaper than Verizon and AT&T...

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

In addition to that, 95% of iPhone/Mac/iPad/Mac owners think they're better/smarter/hipper/more entitled than other people.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:30 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I just bought mine (Verizon), and they didn't even bother to tell me. Although, I like to do my own research before I buy anything that costs a few hundred dollars, so I knew that already and didn't actually ask.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTheBrave View Post
the Iphone and Android snobs keep asking me "omg, why do you even own that, barely anyone owns those!" - then I make that person stand with me for 10mins in one place and count how many people whip out
Highly unlikely this has ever happened.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote