HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Autograph Signings and Memorabilia Thread (Official Thread For Questions) Part 2

Old
07-11-2012, 11:48 PM
apice3*

vCash: 500
I bought them of DCSportsCards so wherever they're located. Somewhere in NY I think.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:03 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
BAP never was able to hold it's value. I don't know whether it was the large set or the lesser known players or the fact in came out every year but it just never did. I have a Parise/Gionta/Elias signed BAP card numbered to 35 that I got for I think $25. Chump change compared if that same card came out in a set like Limited or SP Authentic.
I dont know much about this stuff, but like I said, I didnt buy them for an investment, I bought them because I thought they were cool.

Those BAP Signature Series cards from the late-90s through earlier-00s (when I collected) where beautiful cards on crazy thick cardstock. Just checking now and it looks like the killed the set about 4 years ago? Anyway, the reason I collected them was solely for the certified autographs (didn't care about the other cards).

As for the run, that's the problem with most sports cards, they make too many of them to be of much value.

Which leads us to.......

Quote:
Look at ebay completed auctions. Beckett's book values are totally off
THIS.

There is such an overinflated sense of what most stuff is worth it's ridiculous. I dont care if XYZ guide tells me card #85 of a given set is $50; if I can log onto EBAY and typically get it for $25 - $30, then the "value" is $25 - $30.

IMO, the connectivity of the internet has REALLY brought down prices of, not just sports cards, but all sorts of things.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:50 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

BAP stopped after the 2009-2010 season. The last year it was good was the 2007-2008 year.

And agreed, the internet gave local shops a competition it could not compete with.

And I forgot to mention with Score, the last card in every pack is the "glossy" card. Looks just like base but is slicker. Most don't use it when trying to finish the base set but it's up to you.

DatBoyJPP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
apice3*

Ill look at them when i open the boxes and decide what i want to do. You seed they sell individual packs at Modells?

Old
07-12-2012, 01:20 PM
daron7
HFBoards Sponsor

2011-12 sp authentic came out today, really nice set. larsson, henrique auto rcs!

daron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:28 PM
ThreeCups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I dont know much about this stuff, but like I said, I didnt buy them for an investment, I bought them because I thought they were cool.

Those BAP Signature Series cards from the late-90s through earlier-00s (when I collected) where beautiful cards on crazy thick cardstock. Just checking now and it looks like the killed the set about 4 years ago? Anyway, the reason I collected them was solely for the certified autographs (didn't care about the other cards).

As for the run, that's the problem with most sports cards, they make too many of them to be of much value.

Which leads us to.......

THIS.

There is such an overinflated sense of what most stuff is worth it's ridiculous. I dont care if XYZ guide tells me card #85 of a given set is $50; if I can log onto EBAY and typically get it for $25 - $30, then the "value" is $25 - $30.

IMO, the connectivity of the internet has REALLY brought down prices of, not just sports cards, but all sorts of things.

The internet has certainly brought prices down on many things. One notable industry as pointed out, was sports cards. The internet/eBay created a true "global marketplace". Before that, all you had was a Beckett to go by, and a few local card stores and an occasional card show. You were limited geographically where you could find product. Now you can buy and sell with people all over the world.....

More supply, prices go down....

ThreeCups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:26 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Ill look at them when i open the boxes and decide what i want to do. You seed they sell individual packs at Modells?
Some do. The one I go to does not. Targets usually have good card sections as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron7 View Post
2011-12 sp authentic came out today, really nice set. larsson, henrique auto rcs!
SP Authentic is always a nice looking set but as a whole it is severely overpriced. I'll wait until October to pick up the rookie autographs from that for a third of the price. Set collectors overpay for those rookies the first few months.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:14 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Looks like Larsson was a bad boy and went back to Sweden before signing his

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-12-SP-A...item53eddde482

Old
07-12-2012, 06:29 PM
apice3*

Is that a redemption ticket for an auto'd card?

Also, opened one box so far. Nothing spectacular but I like the cards. Personal favorite pull so far was probably the Henrique rookie. I like the Gudbranson one too.

A few other nice cards here and there. Gold border Tavares, Brodeur net cam, Carey Price "Score B" and some more.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:35 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Yup.

Also to tell if a rookie is one of the rare ones look at the number on the back. If it's 551 or higher it's shortprinted. I know Henrique is a normal rookie. Not sure on Gudbranson. I think he may be one of the rare ones.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:42 PM
apice3*

Gudbranson is above 551. Pretty cool.

Old
07-12-2012, 06:49 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

You are guaranteed one of those per box. Most of the rares are the bigger names. I think the only really ****** rare rookie is Harri Sateri. The 5 I pulled are RNH, Couturier, Read, Smith and Gardiner

Old
07-12-2012, 07:39 PM
apice3*

Just opened the second box. Didn't get one of those rare rookies but I got a Skinner Snow Globe card. Really cool card.

Pulled a lot of dup's in the second box. Do you need any from 1-500? Got a few rookies too.

Edit: Actually after googling, the second short print rookie I pulled was Roman Horak. For some reason, the one I pulled isn't numbered. I guess it's a misprint.

Old
07-12-2012, 07:44 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Damn, that's the first box I have seen without one. Here's the list just to make sure

Hot Rookies SPs
# Person Seq.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
C - Edmonton Oilers

Mika Zibanejad
C - Ottawa Senators

Gabriel Landeskog
LW - Colorado Avalanche

Devante Smith-Pelly
RW - Anaheim Ducks

Brandon Saad
LW - Chicago Blackhawks

Mark Scheifele
C - Winnipeg Jets

Sean Couturier
C - Philadelphia Flyers

Brett Connolly
RW - Tampa Bay Lightning

Tim Erixon
D - New York Rangers

Jake Gardiner
D - Toronto Maple Leafs

Ryan Johansen
C - Columbus Blue Jackets

Adam Larsson
D - New Jersey Devils

Justin Faulk
D - Carolina Hurricanes

Erik Gudbranson
D - Florida Panthers

Matt Read
RW - Philadelphia Flyers

Alexei Emelin
D - Montreal Canadiens

Roman Horak
C - Calgary Flames

Craig Smith
C - Nashville Predators

Harri Sateri
G - San Jose Sharks

Cam Atkinson
RW - Columbus Blue Jackets

And I need a small handful left. I'm currently in the process of making a list. I'm taking a day trip to the beach tomorrow but should have it done when get home tomorrow night

Old
07-12-2012, 07:48 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Also, Hodgson is rare but is numbered 533 for some reason

Old
07-12-2012, 09:01 PM
apice3*

Yeah, I edited my post. My rare rookie was Horak but he wasn't numbered. Not sure if it's a misprint or possibly an alternate picture.

I got a little more than 3/5 the base set complete, which isn't bad for only 2 boxes. Missing 193 base cards (only 163 missing if you count glossy/gold borders), 22 top rookies, and 18 shortprint rookies.

Let me know when you come up with your checklist and we can swap dup's.

Old
07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

My. Craig Smith isn't numbered either. Some kind of production issue I suppose. Are you going to keep your inserts as well? I'm still trying to finish off some of those subsets.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:32 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:

Looks like Larsson was a bad boy and went back to Sweden before signing his
Same thing happened to the 95 Signature Rookies Miracle on Ice set.

All the cards were autographed to 2000, but for some reason, Jim Craig and Herb Brooks didnt get them back to the company on time, and they were redemption inserts.

But since not all packs get opened and boxes sold before the expiration date of the redemption, not all the autographs get filled - thus those cards become much rarer. Same thing will happen to that Larsson card.

AFAIK, nobody knows exactly how many Craig signed of each (presumably he'd know), and the autographed Brooks in that set is EXTREMELY rare. I bought 2 of them back in the day for something like $30 or $40 each, because I figured out what was going on and saw the writing on the wall. I havent looked in a Beckett in years (literally), so I have no idea what they say it's worth, but I've seen them sell for $400 or $500 each on EBAY.

Old
07-12-2012, 11:09 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Same thing will happen to that Larsson card.
Nope. Redemptions happen all the time now in the card industry. There's actually people that's only job for Upper Decks/Panini/Topps etc that travel to hunt down these guys to get them to sign. When he comes back in September for training camp someone will get him to sign all 999 copies of the card and everything will be normal.

I'm actually sitting on a Couturier autograph redemption that I'm too lazy to redeem mostly because it's a Flyer.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:40 AM
apice3*

P4P, clear your private message totals. Your inbox is full.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:50 AM
daron7
HFBoards Sponsor

did well on a devils box break on ebay for sp authentic. brodeur redemption auto patch /25! also some sort of henrique rc subset. not bad at alL! had to share with someone ( if anyone is listening).

Old
07-13-2012, 04:00 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Nope. Redemptions happen all the time now in the card industry. There's actually people that's only job for Upper Decks/Panini/Topps etc that travel to hunt down these guys to get them to sign. When he comes back in September for training camp someone will get him to sign all 999 copies of the card and everything will be normal.

I'm actually sitting on a Couturier autograph redemption that I'm too lazy to redeem mostly because it's a Flyer.
But redemptions expire, and lots of inventory doesn't get opened until after the expiration date, and some wont be opened until years from now.

For instance, I still have a few unopened boxes of the MOI set that's now 17 years old, and I imagine I probably have a Brooks or a Craig redemption card in there somewhere - worth nothing now.

So of that #999 run, a not unsubstantial percentage will never be distributed to collectors. Notunless someone at UD or Topps etc... decides to hand them out to people in some other method rather than destroy them, but at least with the MOI set, that never happened (hence why Brooks can sell for $400+ and Craigs for much more than other players).

EDIT: Out of curiosity, if someone has a Beckett, can you tell me how much they claim that Brooks autograph is worth?

Old
07-13-2012, 04:03 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
did well on a devils box break on ebay for sp authentic. brodeur redemption auto patch /25! also some sort of henrique rc subset. not bad at alL! had to share with someone ( if anyone is listening).
Can you explain how that works. I guess people do this to bring down their costs on the entire box? And how do you know you can trust the person?

Old
07-13-2012, 08:44 PM
daron7
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Can you explain how that works. I guess people do this to bring down their costs on the entire box? And how do you know you can trust the person?
you just bid on whatever teams you're interested in and the seller breaks the box(es) on youtube. it works pretty well and i've certainly done well with the breaks. the authentication # and time of break is taken into account by the seller, and it's all done on video, so there's nothing sketchy about it. some sellers are better than others, but overall it's legit.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:24 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
you just bid on whatever teams you're interested in and the seller breaks the box(es) on youtube. it works pretty well and i've certainly done well with the breaks. the authentication # and time of break is taken into account by the seller, and it's all done on video, so there's nothing sketchy about it. some sellers are better than others, but overall it's legit.
The idea is ingenious, but the bolded bit is worrying.

Does that mean some seller might show a Game Used Elias, but they dont ship it to you? And out of curiousity, not that BAP Signature Series is deceased, are there any sets that have 1 autograph per pack anymore?

Last edited by BenedictGomez: 07-13-2012 at 10:30 PM.