HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Autograph Signings and Memorabilia Thread (Official Thread For Questions) Part 2

Old
07-14-2012, 12:38 PM
daron7
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
The idea is ingenious, but the bolded bit is worrying.

Does that mean some seller might show a Game Used Elias, but they dont ship it to you? And out of curiousity, not that BAP Signature Series is deceased, are there any sets that have 1 autograph per pack anymore?
i've never had this problem at all. it's a pretty honest system and i've scored some great stuff. sets with an auto per pack upper deck the cup, upper deck ultimate. when i first came across this on ebay i ignored it, then i tried it once, and i've been on it ever since. it's pretty fun to see what comes out of the boxes, even if you don't win.

daron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:32 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
But redemptions expire, and lots of inventory doesn't get opened until after the expiration date, and some wont be opened until years from now.

For instance, I still have a few unopened boxes of the MOI set that's now 17 years old, and I imagine I probably have a Brooks or a Craig redemption card in there somewhere - worth nothing now.

So of that #999 run, a not unsubstantial percentage will never be distributed to collectors. Notunless someone at UD or Topps etc... decides to hand them out to people in some other method rather than destroy them, but at least with the MOI set, that never happened (hence why Brooks can sell for $400+ and Craigs for much more than other players).

EDIT: Out of curiosity, if someone has a Beckett, can you tell me how much they claim that Brooks autograph is worth?
Redemptions don't expire, just the date to apply. As long as you apply to redeem the card before the expiration date you will get the card. It may take a while but you will get it. All 999 of these will reach the publicAnd the experation date probably isn't until 2015 so this really is a moot point. You seriously are clueless to how these work.

And unless you want to pay $100+ a pack there are no more guaranteed autograph packs. There are several sets that guarantee a game used jersey card in the $20/pack range.

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:33 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
P4P, clear your private message totals. Your inbox is full.
My PM box only holds 1 message now due to too many infractions. Sorry

Old
07-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Mr.Krinkle
Hello there children

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
Redemptions don't expire, just the date to apply. As long as you apply to redeem the card before the expiration date you will get the card. It may take a while but you will get it. All 999 of these will reach the publicAnd the experation date probably isn't until 2015 so this really is a moot point. You seriously are clueless to how these work.

And unless you want to pay $100+ a pack there are no more guaranteed autograph packs. There are several sets that guarantee a game used jersey card in the $20/pack range.
Uh, isn't that an expiration date? I think what he's saying is that let's say you find one of these redemption cards, and it says, 'Send this to us by January 1, 2015, and we'll get you that autograph"

Well what happens when on January 2nd there's still 25 of those redemption cards sitting in unbought, unopened packs?

That said - 100 dollars a pack? 20 dollars a pack?

Oh yeah the economy is in ****ing tatters with people spending that **** on pictures of people.

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:10 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
Uh, isn't that an expiration date? I think what he's saying is that let's say you find one of these redemption cards, and it says, 'Send this to us by January 1, 2015, and we'll get you that autograph"

Well what happens when on January 2nd there's still 25 of those redemption cards sitting in unbought, unopened packs?

That said - 100 dollars a pack? 20 dollars a pack?

Oh yeah the economy is in ****ing tatters with people spending that **** on pictures of people.
First off, 99% of the packs will be opened by that date. Secondly, there's a good chance you can still redeem it after that date. The date is just a guarantee time frame. After that Upper Deck will hold the cards as replacement for damage cards. However if you try to redeem it and they haven't given it out yet they will give it to you. Either way the fact still stands that all 999 will reach the public.

Again I said earlier you aren't paying for the pictures but I'm about done trying to explain that to people that are just going to come in here and ignorantly bash the hobby. And the $100 packs really aren't that outrageously priced if you don't like base cards. You can get a $100 box with 24 packs that has 2 autographs, 2 game used cards and a bunch of base or just get all your hits in one pack. And again like I said earlier, there are still sets like Score that are under $1/pack and Score is often considered one of the better quality sets each year.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:14 AM
HenriqueItsOver

Quote:
First off, 99% of the packs will be opened by that date. Secondly, there's a good chance you can still redeem it after that date. The date is just a guarantee time frame. After that Upper Deck will hold the cards as replacement for damage cards. However if you try to redeem it and they haven't given it out yet they will give it to you. Either way the fact still stands that all 999 will reach the public.

Again I said earlier you aren't paying for the pictures but I'm about done trying to explain that to people that are just going to come in here and ignorantly bash the hobby. And the $100 packs really aren't that outrageously priced if you don't like base cards. You can get a $100 box with 24 packs that has 2 autographs, 2 game used cards and a bunch of base or just get all your hits in one pack. And again like I said earlier, there are still sets like Score that are under $1/pack and Score is often considered one of the better quality sets each year.
are you on any trade forums?

HenriqueItsOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:14 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriqueItsOver View Post
are you on any trade forums?
Hobby Insider and Sports Card Forum

Old
07-15-2012, 12:17 AM
HenriqueItsOver

username?

HenriqueItsOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Mr.Krinkle
Hello there children

Quote:

I'm just shocked that cards are going for 100 bucks a pack. Autos really aren't worth that much in this day and age, and I'm sure a lot of those autographs aren't really top tier guys you'd want. Guess I'm in the wrong business.

But as to BG's point - the decided factor is the spread. How many packs that have these special inserts are even made? What's the odds of finding a specific player and the odds of finding just one of those cards. If those odds are long enough you'd be shocked at how long it could take for all of them to reach circulation. And the key - how many of these packs to they make?

I think the last time I bought cards was when Score first came out

Mr.Krinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:51 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Krinkle View Post
I'm just shocked that cards are going for 100 bucks a pack. Autos really aren't worth that much in this day and age, and I'm sure a lot of those autographs aren't really top tier guys you'd want. Guess I'm in the wrong business.

But as to BG's point - the decided factor is the spread. How many packs that have these special inserts are even made? What's the odds of finding a specific player and the odds of finding just one of those cards. If those odds are long enough you'd be shocked at how long it could take for all of them to reach circulation. And the key - how many of these packs to they make?

Here's the data for the set that got this discussion going.

http://www.sportscardradio.com/index...ckey-checklist

And in terms of autographs, UD says on average, each box will contain 3 autographed cards, and of those 3, one will be a Future Watch RC. A (very) quick search online looks like boxes are $110 each for 24 packs, so roughly $4.60/pack. Less than I used to pay, but then again, the set I bought had 1 autograph per pack so I didnt mind paying since I didnt give a ratz azz about jersey and stick swatch cards etc...., I only collected certified autographs.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:07 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

And 2 of the 3 autographs are future watch autographs not one so quick math would say there's only 30,000 boxes of this stuff. I highly doubt you have boxes rarer than a set labelled "Short Printed Authentic."

Old
07-15-2012, 11:01 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
And 2 of the 3 autographs are future watch autographs not one so quick math would say there's only 30,000 boxes of this stuff.
I took that info from Upper Deck.

Quote:
I highly doubt you have boxes rarer than a set labelled "Short Printed Authentic."
The MOI set didnt overtly use the term "Short Printed" as a marketing gimmick, but the boxes are each numbered, and numbered up to 4,850, which is fairly small.

The number 4,850 is lower than 30,000, so quick math would say they're a little over 6X rarer if your 30,000 figure is correct. Based on UD's 1 per box, and the fact that they're 40 FW RC numbered to 999, it would seem there are actually 40,000 boxes (39,960).

EDIT: But now that I think about it, even if it were an average of 2 per box, that would be 20,000 boxes. If you assumed 1.5, that would be about 26,600 boxes.

Last edited by BenedictGomez: 07-15-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old
07-15-2012, 01:45 PM
daron7
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I took that info from Upper Deck.

The MOI set didnt overtly use the term "Short Printed" as a marketing gimmick, but the boxes are each numbered, and numbered up to 4,850, which is fairly small.

The number 4,850 is lower than 30,000, so quick math would say they're a little over 6X rarer if your 30,000 figure is correct. Based on UD's 1 per box, and the fact that they're 40 FW RC numbered to 999, it would seem there are actually 40,000 boxes (39,960).

EDIT: But now that I think about it, even if it were an average of 2 per box, that would be 20,000 boxes. If you assumed 1.5, that would be about 26,600 boxes.
it's a great product, and by no means it is easy to get they guys you're looking for. i lucked out with the brodeur, no doubt. nothing much else, so far. great product, seen some patches pulled, claude lemieux and brett hull autos!! hopkins, landeskog rcs, etc. always a fun product!

daron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:46 PM
apice3*

The Score cards that P4P referred me too are really nice.

Solid material, only one glossy card per pack so they won't stick together when stored in boxes, a few inserts and chase cards, and only a dollar a pack (or less if you buy bulk.)

My only complaint about them is the abundance of subsets. There's a 500 card base set, a 50 card rookie subset, 20 card short print rookie subset, 10 card "Making an Entrance" subset, 15 card "Net Cam" subset, 10 card "shield cut" subset, 10 card "playoff heroes" subset, 10 card "Score B" subset, 10 card "snow globe" subset, 20 card "Supreme Team" subset, 15 card "First Goal" subset, 25 "sudden death" subset, and a 30 card "The Franchise" subset.

I bought 2 boxes, 72 packs total. My totals are:
27/50 rookies
2/25 SP rookies
6/10 Making an Entrance
6/15 Net Cam
0/10 Shield Cut
3/10 Playoff Heroes
2/10 Score B
1/10 Snow Globe
2/30 The Franchise

And the rest I don't remember off the top of my head. So do the math, the subsets are impossible to complete without spending an insane amount of money or buying individual cards.

Aside from the subsets, I think the base cards are really cool and it's definitely a series I will continue to buy if the price stays where it' at.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:06 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daron7 View Post
it's a great product, and by no means it is easy to get they guys you're looking for. i lucked out with the brodeur, no doubt. nothing much else, so far. great product, seen some patches pulled, claude lemieux and brett hull autos!! hopkins, landeskog rcs, etc. always a fun product!
That's pretty awesome.

Quote:
So do the math, the subsets are impossible to complete without spending an insane amount of money or buying individual cards.
Honestly, that's one of the primary reasons I stopped collecting. It just got so friggin' complicated. Emereld inserts, Gold inserts, Platinum inserts, #50, #100, #200 etc...., it would take a 40 hour FTE to try to assemble one of these suckers. I think there's a paradox in that while lots of this limited stuff clearly drives demand, I believe there's also a subset of the market that gets a bit turned off by it.

Old
07-15-2012, 07:19 PM
apice3*

i dont really mind the subsets, i just think its ridiculous to have 10+ different subsets, when youre really only going to pull one card every other pack at best. Like i said, i opened 72 packs and certain subsets i have 0, 1 or 2 of. Impossible to complete unless you buy single cards which im very strictly against doing.

Old
07-16-2012, 12:39 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
i dont really mind the subsets, i just think its ridiculous to have 10+ different subsets, when youre really only going to pull one card every other pack at best. Like i said, i opened 72 packs and certain subsets i have 0, 1 or 2 of. Impossible to complete unless you buy single cards which im very strictly against doing.
Yea, that's the one knock I have with Score is that the inserts never end. I'm still working on the Franchise and Snow Globe set from 2010. I'll get back to your PM in a bit, but between my laptop dying and working 14 hours at the Red Bull game yesterday I'm behind on a lot.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:07 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Yea, that's the one knock I have with Score is that the inserts never end. I'm still working on the Franchise and Snow Globe set from 2010. I'll get back to your PM in a bit, but between my laptop dying and working 14 hours at the Red Bull game yesterday I'm behind on a lot.
Alright cool. I'm probably gonna buy another box or two depending on how many dup's we can swap.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:09 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriqueItsOver View Post
username?
Sorry, missed this earlier. I usually pick the name Elias_Devil but depending on the place's rules on characters the underscore may be replaced and whatnot. Not gonna lie, I never pay attention to my name

Some one today offered to trade me a Gomez autograph (and to boot it's from one of the cheaper sets) for my Couturier rookie autograph from Certified. I had no idea how to say no without calling him retarded so I didn't respond.

Quote:
Alright cool. I'm probably gonna buy another box or two depending on how many dup's we can swap.
PM sent, I did find the missing Net Cam inserts that I referenced in the PM. I have to have at least 300 doubles/triples so between that and another box you should be within a 10 or so cards so you can finish the base set with one of those pick your card ebay auctions.

Old
07-16-2012, 06:31 PM
apice3*

Quote:
PM sent, I did find the missing Net Cam inserts that I referenced in the PM. I have to have at least 300 doubles/triples so between that and another box you should be within a 10 or so cards so you can finish the base set with one of those pick your card ebay auctions.
Yeah, thanks man. I have Net Cams 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, and 14.

Old
07-17-2012, 06:43 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Brodeur and Clarkson are signing at Frozen Pond again this summer

Old
07-19-2012, 05:52 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

This bad boy came in the mail today. Got it for a tenth of ebay's going rate

Old
07-19-2012, 06:14 PM
apice3*

What's ebay's going rate?

Old
07-19-2012, 07:16 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

In the 30s, Ice is usually 4th in the hierarchy of rookies behind Cup (the most expensive pack), SP Authentic and then just the basic Upper Deck one. I found one that no one was bidding on and somehow won it for $3.50

I shipped your cards out today, they said it will be there Saturday. I also found another stack of about 75-100 cards so if you bust another box or two I may have a couple more cards you still need.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:38 PM
apice3*

Alright sweet deal. I threw like 6 bucks in with the ones I shipped you. Figure shipping wouldn't cost any more than that.

And like I said, I owe you a beer if we meet up at a game.