HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Botta: Can Snow pull off a game changer?

Old
07-14-2011, 02:18 PM
bam09

vCash: 500
Bouwmeester needs a change of scenery, and we need young players, NHL ready or not. I'm sure we can work something out.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:23 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
Bouwmeester needs a change of scenery, and we need young players, NHL ready or not. I'm sure we can work something out.
I honestly can't see Calgary trading J-Bo. They already unloaded Phaneuf and Regehr so who do they have left to fill that #1 role. If they going into rebuild mode then they should go full out(ie trade Iginla)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:36 PM
neofury*

I don't get why so many players are so a posed to playing in long island. I'd gladly accept a trade there any day.

Get overpaid to play on a young team which could be up and coming. There are a lot of question marks but it seems like a fun challenge to me. Also it's in NY state and it isn't Buffalo.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:38 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
The islanders missed the playoffs by 20 points last year.

From the phrasing of this article "real improvement to their playoff chances" that is a defenceman who can bring an extra 10-12 wins to this team.

Based off this criteria Drew Doughty right now is the only thing that really fits what the author is writing. If you think Dan Girardi or even Jay Bouwmeester is the difference between 73 and 93 points this year I want what you're smoking.
And that was without thier best player Striet (missed the season), Okposo (missed 44 games), Eaton (48 games), Hunter (65 games), Wieght (64 Games), Mottau (62 Games), Jurcina (36 games), MacDonald (22 games), Martinek (18 games)

Without just a third of those injuries I bet you they would have picked up at least 5 more points.

With a pick-up of a #2/3 D-man, more healthy roster, stabilized goaltender situation (remember the Islanders used 7 different goaltenders), and stabilized coaching situation (fired their coach early in the season) and continued development of a very young team I think they could shrink that game by 15 pts.

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:39 PM
giddy up*

Quote:

From the phrasing of this article "real improvement to their playoff chances" that is a defenceman who can bring an extra 10-12 wins to this team.

Based off this criteria Drew Doughty right now is the only thing that really fits what the author is writing. If you think Dan Girardi or even Jay Bouwmeester is the difference between 73 and 93 points this year I want what you're smoking.
The difference between 73 and 93 points is not just adding a defenseman. It's adding a new defenseman, also adding Mark Streit, also adding Kyle Okposo, continued development of good young players, and most importantly HEALTH. the isles were absolutely decimated by injuries last year and set an NHL record for man games lost.

So it's not just about adding a defenseman. It's adding a defenseman in addition to the above mentioned.

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:

This isnt completely true... Considering the Islanders were missing arguably two of their best players (Streit for the whole season and Okposo for a large chunk of it). Add those two in and chances are the Islanders dont lose 15 straight (or whatever crazy number it was). Not saying theyd've made the playoffs by any stretch of the imagination, but just saying they are pretty much getting the equivalent of trading for a top pairing guy in getting Streit back...its just the 2nd spot that is iffy

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:54 PM
trebendan

Hainsey (admittedly, not a game-changer) for Comeau?

trebendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:55 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1118
Quote:

Ya missed the part in the article,where Botta points out that the Isles expect to have Streit,their best defenseman, back for the entire season?He should also have pointed out that Okposo,arguably their best all round player,won't miss 42-44 games.

The Isles are looking at the two halves of their 2010-2011 season.
5-18-5 before Dec. 16th and playing 3 games over .500 after Dec. 16th.
Clearly the isles are counting on..

1. Several key players getting and staying healthy.
2.the win/loss record after Dec. 16th, being based on youngsters taking big steps in their development and that development continuing.
3.Upgrading their D by adding a quality #2 or #3 d-man.

The isles ARE NOT expecting 1 defenseman to come in and carry them to a playoff spot.They expect 1 defenseman to come in and play a big role in helping them get to a playoff spot,by logging a lot of quality minutes.

Yeah,that expectation is very farfetched.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:58 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
This isnt completely true... Considering the Islanders were missing arguably two of their best players (Streit for the whole season and Okposo for a large chunk of it). Add those two in and chances are the Islanders dont lose 15 straight (or whatever crazy number it was). Not saying theyd've made the playoffs by any stretch of the imagination, but just saying they are pretty much getting the equivalent of trading for a top pairing guy in getting Streit back...its just the 2nd spot that is iffy
Lets go with the old adage that for someone to get higher, someone needs to go lower.

Right off the bat the top teams in the East should be Washington, Boston, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, New Jersey (whole season without Parise and the failed Maclean experiment).

In the second tier of teams you have Philly (assuming they didn't ship off too much talent), Buffalo, Rangers (adding Richards)

Even with Streit and Okposo I don't think the Islanders can claim to be better than any of those teams.

Then we get to the lower end teams like Montreal, Toronto, Carolina. I still have a tough time seeing the Islander placing higher than any of these three teams.

With the remaining three in the East I see it finishing with the Islanders, Senators and Panthers.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
Hainsey (admittedly, not a game-changer) for Comeau?
I'd rather see Snow hold onto Comeau,wait and see who becomes available during the season.

Isles can get a warm body on the ufa market.The point is to get a big minute eating blueliner,who'll play at a high level for several seasons.Snow has the cheap,young trade chips to offer.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Lets go with the old adage that for someone to get higher, someone needs to go lower.
Right off the bat the top teams in the East should be Washington, Boston, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, New Jersey (whole season without Parise and the failed Maclean experiment).

In the second tier of teams you have Philly (assuming they didn't ship off too much talent), Buffalo, Rangers (adding Richards)

Even with Streit and Okposo I don't think the Islanders can claim to be better than any of those teams.

Then we get to the lower end teams like Montreal, Toronto, Carolina. I still have a tough time seeing the Islander placing higher than any of these three teams.

With the remaining three in the East I see it finishing with the Islanders, Senators and Panthers.
I agree whole-heartedly with the bolded. My post was not saying the Islanders will absolutely beyond the shadow of a doubt make the playoffs or anything, just stating that they SHOULD have a better team than last year regardless of if they pull that #1/2 d-man in. Also, it was just responding to the idea you presented that they would be relying on 1 guy to come in and make that much of a difference in points, which is simply not the case as myself and several other posters have pointed out

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:04 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
I think Winnipeg is intent on hanging on to Bogosian right now, but it they did entertain the idea of trading him it would likely cost the Islanders Comeau, Nelson and a 1st.

I think the Islanders are poised to be better and their first may be around 12 or so.

Regardless, it's a bit of a risky trade for both teams, but may also end up being a rare win/win situation.
NYI is looking for more of a veteran and established defense man. Nothing against Bogo but I think Snow wants more experience.

Snow is supposedly looking for a top 6 player as well.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:11 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:

I see it as closer to
top tier: Washington (1-4), Boston (1-4), Pittsburgh (1-4), Tampa Bay (1-6)
Next tier: Philly (1-8), Buffalo (4-9), Rangers(6-10), Montreal (6-10), New Jersey (7-12)
Bottom: Carolina (7-13), Islanders (7-13), Toronto (7-13), Senators(8-15) and Panthers (8-15)

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Yep, the Isles could really use a dominating force on the blue-line to really complete the team going forward. From an outsiders POV, that D looks real thin no matter how much Isle fans will disagree
I dont think any objective Islander fan will disagree with you.

Right now the D is...

Streit
MacDonald
Hamonic
Jurcina
Mottau
Eaton
Wishart

If I had to guess. Our opening lineup 6 would look like

Streit - Eaton
MacDonald - Hamonic
Mottau - Jurcina

I'm hoping Wishart has a good camp and bumps Mottau out of the 6, but thats minor. Still Streit needs someone better to play with. As an Isles fan I could live with AMac and Hamonic on the second unit, neither are a top pairing on a playoff team. Not yet at least. The Isles need to get someone better to play with Streit.

Macch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I see it as closer to
Next tier: Philly (1-8), Buffalo (4-9), Rangers(6-10), Montreal (6-10), New Jersey (7-12)
Bottom: Carolina (7-13), Islanders (7-13), Toronto (7-13), Senators(8-15) and Panthers (8-15)

I would say that's pretty fair and accurate.

Macch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Yep, the Isles could really use a dominating force on the blue-line to really complete the team going forward. From an outsiders POV, that D looks real thin no matter how much Isle fans will disagree
They have Streit, Hamonic, and MacDonald in their top 4. That is great. Streit is a terrific number one dman and Hamonic and MacDonald will be the second pairing. MacDonald could end up playing with Streit though, leaving the 4th spot to be filled. The 5 and 6 spot is filled well with Eaton and Jurcina and the depth is good with Mottau, Wishart, Reese ready to step in. The problems lie in the fact that Eaton and Jurcina each missed half the year last year and can be classified as injury prone now. Streit missed a whole year with an injury problem. MacDonald had a late season surgery. Losing one sucks, losing 4 decimates the team. Having Reese or Mottau fill in is ok, but both? And Wishart? That is a problem.

With no injuries it is a really good defense.
Quote:
This is what I'm looking for. Bailey + Nelson? An nhl ready center and one in the ranks.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
NYI is looking for more of a veteran and established defense man. Nothing against Bogo but I think Snow wants more experience.

Snow is supposedly looking for a top 6 player as well.
The last I read,Snow was saying he was set among his forwards and was focusing on his blueliner.

Where did you read/hear the rumor,that he wants a top 6 player?

Old
07-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
I dont think any objective Islander fan will disagree with you.

Right now the D is...

Streit
MacDonald
Hamonic
Jurcina
Mottau
Eaton
Wishart

If I had to guess. Our opening lineup 6 would look like

Streit - Eaton
MacDonald - Hamonic
Mottau - Jurcina

I'm hoping Wishart has a good camp and bumps Mottau out of the 6, but thats minor. Still Streit needs someone better to play with. As an Isles fan I could live with AMac and Hamonic on the second unit, neither are a top pairing on a playoff team. Not yet at least. The Isles need to get someone better to play with Streit.
This is a better breakdown then the jumbled mess I put together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I see it as closer to
The only one I disagree with is Philly. With the loss of Richards, Carter and Leino, they lost 3 of their top 5 scorers. I don't put too much faith in Jagr outside of the PP and I think JVR will do better but they will take a hit this year in the standings even with Bryzgalov.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Islander102

Quote:

Because they arent adding just one more defenseman. Its whoever they add +Mark Streit, who played 0 games last year, + Kyle Okposo who didnt play until after they were figuratively eliminated from contention. Even swapping Konopka with Reasoner, while hardly monumental, is an addition of 20 points to the roster. Will that make them a playoff team, maybe, maybe not, but lets not act like whatever defenseman they trade for will be the only addition to the roster next season. They are adding two players to the roster that both rank in the top 5 on their roster that they didnt have the overwhelming majority of last season.

And FWIW, the Islanders immediately started improving upon Okposo's return last year. With Okposo and Streit in the lineup, combined with another likely 2nd pairing defenseman, they are not going to lose anything close to 20 out of 21 games next year, and that streak is about the sole reason they were so far out of contention last year.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:29 PM
bam09

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I honestly can't see Calgary trading J-Bo. They already unloaded Phaneuf and Regehr so who do they have left to fill that #1 role. If they going into rebuild mode then they should go full out(ie trade Iginla)
Well, I'm an advocate for that, and if we do trade Jaybo, it signals/will be(a part of) a rebuild. Bouwmeester isn't a number one guy. I shutter to think of needing him to step up in the playoffs and play 30+ great minutes when he gives us ~25 decent minutes and not much else.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:32 PM
bam09

Quote:
This is what I'm looking for. Bailey + Nelson? An nhl ready center and one in the ranks.
Not a bad package, but I think many would prefer a guy like Neidereiter if that's possible. I'd like to see him on the same team as his compatriot Bartschi again.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Hulk Hogan*

Komisarek for Yashin?

Hulk Hogan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:37 PM
AvsGuy

If the Isles want a true game changer, why don't they offer sheet Drew Doughty?

AvsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:42 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

If Snow can pull this off

I'm sure he won't have a problem finding a good top-4 blueliner without crippling the team

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:44 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Quote:
Not a bad package, but I think many would prefer a guy like Neidereiter if that's possible. I'd like to see him on the same team as his compatriot Bartschi again.
No. Not our top prospect

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote