HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Who should be the Wild's 2nd line center in 2011-2012?

View Poll Results: Who should be the 2nd line center next season?
Brodziak 16 28.57%
Cullen 29 51.79%
Wellman 3 5.36%
Sheppard 5 8.93%
Coyle 0 0%
Other (Almond, Phillips, etc.) 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-14-2011, 02:20 PM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Who should be the Wild's 2nd line center in 2011-2012?

Although Fletcher has suprised and impressed me with his trades, I can't see him pulling off another one this summer to bring in a top-6 center. And Granlund won't be on the Wild until at least 2012-2013, if not longer. So, the 2nd line center for 2011-2012 is in the system. Who will it be?

Brodziak
Pros: Big and strong. Plays a two-way game. Very strong on the puck. Able cycler. One of the best forwards the Wild have at maintain puck-possession in the offense zone. Fights for the puck. Good at faceoffs. Drives to the net. Shown impressive offensive numbers (50+ points over 82 games) when playing with Havlat in 2010-2011 and Lats and Havlat in 2009-201. Seems to play well with softer players.

Cons:
Limited offensive-upside. Was his point production a result of chemistry with Havlat, who is gone? Does not create chances himself. Average shot at best. Does not shoot a lot. Is not offensively creative, leading to repetitive and predictable offensive possesions. Average speed (although he can be fast when he gets a full head of steam). Does not lay many big hits for a man of his size (is more likely to skate by to get into defensive position, or go after the puck instead of the man).

Cullen
Pros: Fast. Good shot and decent enough hands. Fairly creative in the offensive zone. Good at faceoffs. Positionally sound. Two-way game. Has put up 40-50 points consistently. Goes through stretches where he is offensively dangerous.

Cons: Weak on skates and on boards. Ends up on the ice a lot or knocked off puck. Can not play the cycle game. Tends to disappear. Does not develop chemistry with linemates. Plays on an island. Only really an offensive threat on fast breaks or PP. Game on the decline. Not physical. No upside at this point in his career. You get what you see.

Wellman
Pros: Speedy. Sniper's shot. Thinks an offensive game. Looks the part of a goal scorer at points, reading the play. Upside is there. Could develop into a very good 2nd line center if everything works out perfectly. Has a body that could be decent size. 30-30 guy within reach if he puts it together.

Cons: Still needs to develop, but his time is short. Needs to be offensively consistent and defensively reliable. Faceoffs at the NHL level questionable. Only put up so-so numbers in Houston. Speed and size of the NHL gave him trouble last season. Weak along the boards and didn't seem to know how to cycle well. Strength must be added. Must get off shot quicker. Must develop the goal-scorer mentality at the NHL level.

Sheppard
Pros: (Don't laugh). Defensively sound. Strong on the puck. Offensive potential there. Very young, but has 3 NHL season under belt. Could still develop into 20-40 center if the light comes on.

Cons: Lots. Didn't play last season due to major injury. Regressed the season before that. Has not displayed offensive ability at the NHL level. Rushed. Bad at faceoffs. Not quick. Poor shot. Is it too late?

Coyle
Pros: NHL-body and offensive upside to become a top-6 forward.

Cons: Still young. Has played in inferior leagues. Plenty of development to go through.

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 07-14-2011 at 02:26 PM.
nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 02:36 PM
J22

IMO, its either Brodziak or Cullen and I think it depends on what the first line looks like. If Bouchard plays on the first line, then I think Cullen will be the 2nd line center. Cullen is a better puck carrier and passer than Brodziak, something that neither Seto or Lats are great at, and Cullen would be able to keep up with Setoguchi much better than Brodziak.

If Setoguchi plays on the first line, then I could see the Wild trying a Latendresse - Brodziak - Bouchard line, hoping it would be similar to when Havlat was on that line.

I really cant see any of the other options playing a top6 role this year, in fact I dont think any of the 3 even make the team.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Cullen gets first crack IMO.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

If Lats and Seto are on the 2nd line it has to be Cullen IMO. I think that would be pretty balanced line and creates an opportunity for Brodziak to do what he's best at, and what he wants to do, on the 3rd line. Cullen will create better opportunities for his shoot-first linemates. I don't think he's really suited to grind it out with Clutterbuck and Powe or Gillies.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
If Lats and Seto are on the 2nd line it has to be Cullen IMO. I think that would be pretty balanced line and creates an opportunity for Brodziak to do what he's best at, and what he wants to do, on the 3rd line. Cullen will create better opportunities for his shoot-first linemates. I don't think he's really suited to grind it out with Clutterbuck and Powe or Gillies.
I agree with this. I think Brodziak with Clutterbuck and Powe will make the third line one of the best grinding lines in the NHL. So if I could vote my vote would be for Cullen to center the second line.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Nice topic, this was something that boggled my mind while i was going to work today.

Brodz, i think Brodz would mesh well with Bouchard and Poutine. He is great at opening space, playing in the boards and positioning. Had a lot of garbage and important goals last season.

I'm not a fan of Cullen playing as second center, he is more offensive than Brodz, but IMO, he would be far better playing in the 3rd line with Clutz and Gillies. This line would be amazing fast.

Wellman is another option, but i just dont feel he is mature enough to play in this line. He may be immensely good, but as well immensely bad.

To be honest, i think that a line of Heater - Koivu - Seto would fit better. You got a Sniper - Playmaker - Sniper/Power forward.
2 line would be
Power forward/Sniper - Power forward/Grinder - Playmaker.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:48 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Cullen is more natural in the offensive zone. Brodziak is a quality player, but the only reason he was there was due to Havlat and Cullen's complete lack of chemistry. I don't think that will be an issue with Setoguchi.

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 03:52 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
I agree with this. I think Brodziak with Clutterbuck and Powe will make the third line one of the best grinding lines in the NHL. So if I could vote my vote would be for Cullen to center the second line.
I actually think Cullen might be a better fit with Clutterbuck and Powe. If those two are doing their jobs and hitting everything that moves, maybe they can spring Cullen and his speed on a few breakaway/odd man rushes a game. Also, Brodziak's strenghts on offense are getting in on the forecheck, gaining and controlling the puck on the boards, and cycling the puck. None of those are very usefull if Clutterbuck and Powe are your wingers.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:00 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I think you have to give Cullen first crack for the reason Generic User brought up, mainly that the big reason for Cullen being demoted was a lack of chemistry with Havlat. Plus having a Powe-Brodziak-Clutterbuck line sounds amazing on paper.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think Cullen will have a bounce back year. He was a dog last year, at least even strength after the first month.

It would be great to see the speed he could have with Seto if they mesh. Not sure how Lats would fit into that equation though.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:06 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

I like Brodz up there now but I really want to see Cullen under Yeo's direction. And i'm actually fairly excited to see Brodz, Powe, and Clutterbuck line up and play--we need someone responsible at center if those are the wings and preferably someone who can also hit and stand his ground in the inevitable scrums.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Sheppard.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Caior89

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
I actually think Cullen might be a better fit with Clutterbuck and Powe. If those two are doing their jobs and hitting everything that moves, maybe they can spring Cullen and his speed on a few breakaway/odd man rushes a game. Also, Brodziak's strenghts on offense are getting in on the forecheck, gaining and controlling the puck on the boards, and cycling the puck. None of those are very usefull if Clutterbuck and Powe are your wingers.

I'm know that on paper is amazing and scare the **** of everyone. But i really dont see any creativity or production in this line.(brodz,-cluter-powe)

Old
07-14-2011, 04:12 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caior89 View Post

I'm know that in paper is amazing and scare the **** of everyone. But i really dont see any creativity or production in this line.(brodz,-cluter-powe)
Considering it's a line made to harass the other team's scoring lines, you don't need creativity, just good defense, a lot of physical play, tons of energy. What they add to the score sheet is purely bonus.

Face it, we were just a one line deep team, and now have two legit scoring lines, our third line will be a checking line...and well be until we get more skill in the bottom 6. We're not looking at 3 scoring lines just yet guys.

Last edited by TaLoN: 07-14-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old
07-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Caior89

Yeah, but thats the point. You already have 3 defensive/checkers forwards. With the addition of Cullen you would still have defense and at least someone could make a play or give a breakaway chance. It would also make the forechecking more successful.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:29 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Disagree, with Clutterbuck and Powe on the wings, forechecking will never be very good on that line, you are wasting Cullen's strengths in playmaking there. Brodziak's strength along the boards works great with those guys... on the backcheck.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Cullen needs to improve on last year to really be a playmaker, far too often he just turned the puck over on his own. Clutter is a heck of a forechecker too, don't know what you're referring to...Powe should be the same way.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:20 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I think Cullen needs to get the first shot at it. He's more naturally offensive than Brodziak. If he looks like he did last year, swap him back down to the third line, but he needs a shot at it before being moved down.

I'd love if Wellman could do it, but I don't have faith that he's there yet.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:35 PM
saywut

You look at what Yeo did in Houston, he did try to build a "scoring" top-6 and "checking" bottom-6. Matt Cullen is the better scorer between he and Brodziak. Kyle Brodziak is the better checker. Martin Havlat is gone. Todd Richards(Kyle Brodziak's coach in WBS) is gone. It's Matt Cullen's job to lose.

Cullen's worst season post-lockout was last year at 39 points. Kyle Brodziak's best season was last year with 37 points. Yes, the PP and hot start helped Cullen but he's always outproduced Brodziak.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Well, they can play Brodziak on the 2nd line only when the Wild are playing against the Oilers.

Old
07-14-2011, 06:50 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Well, they can play Brodziak on the 2nd line only when the Wild are playing against the Oilers.
if only Nystrom could find that magic against the Flames.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Sheppard.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I got him Sharpied on the Butch/Heater line. Koivu is our 2nd center now.

And now for my serious moment. I think #2 is Cullen's spot to lose. He sets up Seto, and Laten plays the Ciccarelli role of knocking in the rebounds when applicable. Cullen hanging back to be the defensively responsible one.

Good break down of our centers nickschultzfan. Although I'm not sold Cullen is on the decline quite yet. For a 34 (soon to be 35 in Nov) year old he is a fitness machine. Cheers.

I hope that is how it is going to play out, cuz I am excited about the potential of POWE!!!-Brodz-Cluttersmash shut down line as our 3rd.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I think Powe could be the one that gets sprung for breakaway chances.

I doubt that the third line gets many chances like Powe did in the video, but it's nice to know they have some speed. If a line with Clutterbuck - Powe - Brodziak gets something like 40 goals and finishes with a + instead of a - I will be more than happy. The main thing for this line isn't scoring just to check and chip in a few goals.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Dammit how much longer till I can vote in these? Anyway, if some nonvoter reads this, put me down for "other". I still think we can do better than Cullen for the 2nd line center.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Fel 96
JFC

It's 45 days after your registration so you should be able to vote soon.