HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NYR] Rangers re-sign Brian Boyle (3 years, $1.7M per)

Old
07-15-2011, 05:07 AM
Black Tank

vCash: 500
Last year the Rangers started McDonagh and Sauer as the second pairing and arguably they played almost as well as the top pairing of Staal-Girardi. The Rangers are not afraid of playing rookie dmen if they are very good. They will not play an aging vet over a rookie if the rookie performs.

Conversely, they have no problem sending down a 37 point rookie dman if he is not improving like they want.

They are not worried about adding "vets" on D....so that has no impact on the cap space left for Callahan and Dubinsky.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards to Gaborik View Post
Could be a really good signing. I worry slightly because sometimes I debate if Boyle has the skill to pot another 20 goals, but with his size he should be at least good for another 10+ goals along with good defensive play and a lot of hits. So overall I definitely cannot complain!
Living abroad I don't get to more than a handful of games at MSG. But at the games I've been at, it's interesting to see Boyle in the goalmouth scrums after the whistle and during the commercial break. When Boyle leans in on a dman, all 6'7" 250 of him, the facewashing is pretty much one way, usually with Prust doing the abusing and next season I expect Rupp to do the same.

There is no teaching size so a big guy that is very responsible defensively is almost worth the cap hit alone. If he can continue to chip in offensively, then this should be a great signing.

Boyle is a very good bottom six player.

Old
07-15-2011, 05:23 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

steal of the offseason. Thats incredible. He could of doubled that with the way contracts are going at the moment.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:23 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
So you're starting the season with 5 defenceman? Don't think so.

Most likely you have to add in Erixon and his 1.750 million contract, after that there is 9.4 million left for Callahan and Dubinsky. If the Rangers start with Zuccarello in the AHL it's a wash though and cap space left for Dubinsky and Callahan would be 11.1 mil, but that would be only 21 player roster.

Also there's 3 defencemen on ELC, some might say it's a bit risky to start season with 3 "rookies" on blueline when your goal is to win some hockey games and make the playoffs.
And it's still not a problem. If Dubi and Cally get 4 mil each, we can sign a vet 6/7 dman for cheap and still have enough for injury callups.

If the money gets tight, there are plenty of ways we can shuffle the lineup to make space.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:30 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:

Most likely you have to add in Erixon and his 1.750 million contract, after that there is 9.4 million left for Callahan and Dubinsky. If the Rangers start with Zuccarello in the AHL it's a wash though and cap space left for Dubinsky and Callahan would be 11.1 mil, but that would be only 21 player roster.

Also there's 3 defencemen on ELC, some might say it's a bit risky to start season with 3 "rookies" on blueline when your goal is to win some hockey games and make the playoffs.

With a plethora of line options - I see the following panning out:
  • Eric Christensen traded or waived/sent down at camp
  • Vaclav Prospal signed for around 1 million for a one year contract (he has already exceded in salary what his original 4 year deal with The Bolts /where he was bought out/ gave him so he will most likely be very cheap esp. given injury concerns)
  • Brandon Dubinsky signed for 5 years at $4,2 M cap hit
  • Ryan Callahan signed for 5 years at $4,2 M cap hit
  • A vet D (Eminger, Lepisto...??) brought in as a 6/7th D alt acquired through trade (Fistric for Christensen+?)

After this - as capspace on this given troup is a bit too small - I believe maybe MZA will be starting in Hartford. Maybe a guy like Carl Hagelin or John Mitchell takes his spot as #23 on the team - thereby saving about a million in salary. If we want to - then we would have a 22 man troup being around 1,8 M under the cap. Lots of prorated space at deadline!
Also - I believe that MZAs contract is full of tough to attain performance bonuses he most likely will not achieve (this is something the Rangers brass know very well) - so his real cap hit at the end of the year might be a bit smaller than we are led to believe and The Rangers brass knowing this can be very close to cap ceiling.

Ev callups would be MZA (waiver exempt), Hagelin (waiver exempt), Mitchell, Thuresson, Newbury... on FW and MDZ, Kundratek, Pashnin on D.

See - no problem AT ALL capwise!!!!

FORWARDS
Wojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Brad Richards ($6.666m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($4.200m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.200m)
Vinny Prospal ($1.100m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m)
Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Michael Rupp ($1.500m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Pavel Valentenko ($0.850m) / Tim Erixon ($1.750m)
VET UFA Defender ($1.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($0.875m)

BUYOUTS
Chris Drury ($3.716m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,220,834; BONUSES: $2,125,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $79,166

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:40 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Living abroad I don't get to more than a handful of games at MSG. But at the games I've been at, it's interesting to see Boyle in the goalmouth scrums after the whistle and during the commercial break. When Boyle leans in on a dman, all 6'7" 250 of him, the facewashing is pretty much one way, usually with Prust doing the abusing and next season I expect Rupp to do the same.

There is no teaching size so a big guy that is very responsible defensively is almost worth the cap hit alone. If he can continue to chip in offensively, then this should be a great signing.

Boyle is a very good bottom six player.
I'm starting to dislike the Rangers more & more each day, signing both Boyle & Rupp at a reasonable price before the Canucks could steal either or both away

JayBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
steal of the offseason. Thats incredible. He could of doubled that with the way contracts are going at the moment.
While I think it's a good (and fair) contract for both sides, I'd have a tough time calling it the "steal of the offseason". He's a guy who put it together for the first time last year and had a solid season last year putting up 35 points and was a physical presence.

I think the amount and length he got was fair, but to say $1.7M is "the steal of the offseason" is a little much.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:51 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
While I think it's a good (and fair) contract for both sides, I'd have a tough time calling it the "steal of the season". He's a guy who put it together for the first time last year and had a solid season last year putting up 35 points and was a physical presence.

I think the amount and length he got was fair, but to say $1.7M is "the steal of the offseason" is a little much.
Gotta agree here. Good signing though.
But a better deal than Vokoun???'
Hardly!!!!

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeautiful View Post
I'm starting to dislike the Rangers more & more each day, signing both Boyle & Rupp at a reasonable price before the Canucks could steal either or both away
I'm still amazed that Glen Sather and the Rangers are finally doing this - building an actual team rather than an over the hill fantasy roster.

Old
07-15-2011, 08:12 AM
cenas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
I'm still amazed that Glen Sather and the Rangers are finally doing this - building an actual team rather than an over the hill fantasy roster.
They have gone from over the hill to Underhill.

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:18 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Settle down..He had 3 goals in the last 30 games..None in 5 PO Games..I was hoping $950 per..1M tops.

Quote:

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:59 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Settle down..He had 3 goals in the last 30 games..None in 5 PO Games..I was hoping $950 per..1M tops.
Hes a winger, but had to play center through that time

poeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Hes a winger, but had to play center through that time
Boyle is a natural center and was played at center throughout the entire season; his scoring drought was not engendered by being played out of position. It was because he ran out of breaks and stamina.

I doubt he replicates his 20 goal season. I expect a 15-15-30 season, and with all the intangibles that Boyle adds to the team, it's a solid deal.

07-15-2011, 09:14 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Finally we can agree on something..Your first statement is 100 percent correct..

Secondly if he can produce 15-15-30 as our 4th line center I would be thrilled..

We shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Boyle is a natural center and was played at center throughout the entire season; his scoring drought was not engendered by being played out of position. It was because he ran out of breaks and stamina.

I doubt he replicates his 20 goal season. I expect a 15-15-30 season, and with all the intangibles that Boyle adds to the team, it's a solid deal.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Topkatz

Quote:
Thanks for the self assesment Mr Boyle

Topkatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:19 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post
They have gone from over the hill to Underhill.
Get in the corner

you get a 5minute time out...

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:21 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:

And nagging injuries.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topkatz View Post
Thanks for the self assesment Mr Boyle
It takes a Boyle to know a Boyle.

Quote:
Finally we can agree on something..Your first statement is 100 percent correct..

Secondly if he can produce 15-15-30 as our 4th line center I would be thrilled..

We shall see.
I would thrilled with that production as well. I would like to think he can get to at least ~25 points, and even if he only hits 20ish, it's still in line with what other players of his ilk were paid in FA this season, and it certainly wouldn't be an albatross.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:24 AM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Your hopes were delusional given the market place.

Even if he went to arbitration he would have received more than that on a 1 year deal.

Great signing for the Rangers.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Azul
Where's my Cup?

Quote:
Vokoun says wSUP!

Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post

Even if he went to arbitration he would have received more than that on a 1 year deal.

Exactly, the way that some mid level UFAs were paid this summer, locking up a player that you actually want and the coach wants for 3 years is a very good deal. If he only got a 1 year deal now and then and went UFA, somebody would have grabbed him for 3m/year...

Old
07-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Also - I believe that MZAs contract is full of tough to attain performance bonuses he most likely will not achieve (this is something the Rangers brass know very well) - so his real cap hit at the end of the year might be a bit smaller than we are led to believe and The Rangers brass knowing this can be very close to cap ceiling.
I think that all the performance bonuses count against the cap next season whether the player achieves them or not. Obviously you don't pay the actual dollars if the player doesn't achieve them, but you can't avoid them in the cap hit because the CBA is expiring after the season. Not 100% sure, but pretty sure that's the case.

Normally you could "ignore" the performance bonuses, just pay the standard rookie salary, and in the case of that player achieving the bonuses those would be in next season's cap. Like it was after Chicago won. That doesn't work this summer, as far as I know.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post

Surf is a Boyle hater. There was no way he was going to get less than 1.5.

Good signing. Not great and certainly nowhere near the steal of the offseason. But good none the less.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 01:37 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:

Erixon is on a 2-way, we can send down Christensen or another forward to make room for him. He doesn't count until the season starts - we have plenty of room.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Doyle

Boyle Earns New Contract Through Determination
http://nhlhotstove.com/boyle-earns-n...determination/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote