HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Can you teach a player how to fight?

Old
07-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Aurel Joliat

vCash: 500
Can you teach a player how to fight?

Is it possible to take a very bad fighter and show him how to fight ?

For example, Georges Laraque give some lessons to Zack Stortini, who has a great frame to be a NHL fighter. Same thing with Mike Blunden, Aaron Voros or Troy Bodie. They are tall, big, but can't win a fight against smaller players !

Let me know what you think

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
I think so. I mean, there are techniques to hockey fights so it's not unrealistic but most of it stems on whether or not players want to be hit. If they can't shake that fear then they shouldn't fight.

Tim Jackman was a bad fighter to begin with but with more experience he got much better. Experience helps out too.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 05:41 PM
ponder

Depends on the person, but plenty of guys who fight in the NHL were taught how later on in life. Plenty of players who played in more of a skill role coming up, then got stuck at the AHL/ECHL/wherever, then learned how to fight to get themselves over the hump and on to an NHL 4th line/bottom pair.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:14 PM
PresidentCamacho*

Can you teach a player how to hold, spin, block, and counter your opponent? Yes.

Can you teach a player how to take a punch? No.

Can't teach toughness/aggression. Can teach self-defense.

PresidentCamacho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:19 PM
jughead42*

You can give a guy all the instruction and technique in the world but the only real way for a guy to get better at fighting is to stand in there and take his lumps. I remember a huge kid by the name of Adam Young who played for the Windsor Spitfires of the OHL several years ago. He was big and willing, however when he came to the team he couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. After 3 or 4 years of getting his ass handed to him in just about every fight he ever took part in, he developed some technique and experience to go along with his size. By his final year of junior he was regularly tossing them with the league heavyweights and holding his own. I think its all about experience. Unless you're going to supplement the instruction with a beating or two, you're probably not going to make a fighter that much better.

jughead42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:30 PM
mattihp

Yep. You have to take lessons from your dad who is a farmer though.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:25 PM
jstrag32

I don't think you can teach a player how to fight. I think it has to be natural and depends on the environment they grew up in.

jstrag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Bank Shot

Yes. It's just like any other skill. With the exceptions of players paid solely to fight, I'm not sure it is worth it for a regular player though.

They don't exactly have a tonne of free time to pursue other activities. I'd rather have a skilled forward working on his hockey skills in his spare time, rather then taking boxing/MMA lessons.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:25 PM
TheRealSpez

I learned how to fight in Jr. lacrosse, basically the same strategy. My first 4/5 fights were boring wrestling matches or losses, i dedicated about a 1/4 of each practice learning how to engage and control fights. You need a mentor and practice time to develop some fundamentals. By the time my senior years came I never lost a fight, and could at least tie up some of the bigger guys out my weight class. Natural aggression and toughness is what separates the designated tough guys from the players willing to step up or defend a teammate. But to an extent, anyone can learn to be an effective fighter at a professional level.

TheRealSpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:44 PM
leoleo3535

Yes you can and many players take training specific to fighting.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 08:50 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Is it possible to take a very bad fighter and show him how to fight ?

For example, Georges Laraque give some lessons to Zack Stortini, who has a great frame to be a NHL fighter. Same thing with Mike Blunden, Aaron Voros or Troy Bodie. They are tall, big, but can't win a fight against smaller players !

Let me know what you think
You can teach anyone to fight respectably. Drives me nuts how many guys on the Leafs are willing but not very good fighters. Wish they would hire Domi to teach them technique (and maybe a boxing coach in offseason). If you're going to fight, do yourself a favour and learn how.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:00 PM
pld459666

I think you can teach a guy to better protect himself, but I'm not sure you can teach a Stortini to be a legit heavyweight enforcer

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:12 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I remember when Jessiman took boxing lessons all summer and then came to camp and everyone was saying this was going to be the turning point...nope, still got his ass beat a few times.

I guess it's possible, but a lot of it has to do with instinct. If it is just technique, then sure, but most fights don't last long, unlike a boxing match, and it's just a slug fest.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:52 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

I learnt how to fight, and what I learnt saved my ass during a mugging. Just by technique I was able to avoid 5 punches while setting myself up to retaliate. Without training, I would never have come close to that. There's not one hockey player who's not as strong as me, so I would say yes, absolutely, how else would they become good fighters?

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
I remember when Jessiman took boxing lessons all summer and then came to camp and everyone was saying this was going to be the turning point...nope, still got his ass beat a few times.

I guess it's possible, but a lot of it has to do with instinct. If it is just technique, then sure, but most fights don't last long, unlike a boxing match, and it's just a slug fest.
Yeah, well one summer isn't really a tonne of training time. If a player took boxing lessons for a couple of years you would likely see a marked improvement.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Ozzlyn

a better question is can you teach a fighter how too play.

Ozzlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

I think Troy Bodie can turn himself into a decent middleweight. He's in his mid 20s, and he has shown he is capable of throwing them, although his balance is horrible. He needs a veteran guy to show him the ropes. I think out of the guys listed, he is the most likely to improve.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

You can teach a tough player how to fight, but you can't teach a player how to be tough.

Ten Thousand Hours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:40 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Just like you can teach a person to fight, you can teach a player to fight.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:41 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
I learnt how to fight, and what I learnt saved my ass during a mugging. Just by technique I was able to avoid 5 punches while setting myself up to retaliate. Without training, I would never have come close to that. There's not one hockey player who's not as strong as me, so I would say yes, absolutely, how else would they become good fighters?
That is a highly classy story OttoMan. Same sort of thing has happened to me.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:45 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Panthers' Nolan Yonkman at 6'6 250 got handled by Shelley.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Marshmont View Post
You can teach a tough player how to fight, but you can't teach a player how to be tough.
This. If a player is afraid to take a punch he will never be a good fighter. Stortini was always willing to go but was terrified of having his bell rung. MacIntyre on the other hand would take a punch or two but would give back just as many if not more. (usually more)

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:40 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

George Parros and Kevin Westgarth are both Princeton grads who never fought in college. They spent some years honing their skills in the minors and learned their craft in the AHL before graduating to the NHL.

During the summer months, I've seen Marty McSorley giving pointers to some Kings camp participants on fighting. There is no real science to fighting, as long as you know how to defend and throw a punch (avoiding getting punched helps as well).

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:15 AM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

I remember Douglas Murray talked about how he took some boxing lessons in the off season and was disappointed(at that time) that he wasnt able to use what he was taught.

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:30 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentCamacho View Post
Can you teach a player how to hold, spin, block, and counter your opponent? Yes.

Can you teach a player how to take a punch? No.

Can't teach toughness/aggression. Can teach self-defense.
I agree. I think Stortini simply doesn't want to take a punch in the face. You either have the mentality that you don't mind taking a punch to land a punch or you don't.

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote