HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Mac OS X Lion to be released as early as tomorrow

Old
07-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

vCash: 177
^ I think they're developers.

Smeddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
how do you have Lion already..
Mac Developer Program. Though if you really want it, it's out there on the torrents.

And damn, Paul freicking Thurrott, the ultimate Microsoft fan, and admitted Apple skeptic,just put out his review of OS X Lion. Here's the good bit:

Quote:
I can see no reason why anyone with a Snow Leopard-based Mac wouldn’t upgrade to Lion. This upgrade features a ton of new features and is priced to sell. It’s a no brainer.

For Microsoft and, to a lesser degree, Windows users, Lion represents Apple throwing down the gauntlet. The company already dominates the mobile space with its iPhones, iPods, and iPads, and by taking the best and most appropriate ideas from iOS and applying them to the Mac, the company is announcing its intention to continue this success in Microsoft’s core market of PCs.

Those iOS-to-OS X changes are a mixed bag, of course. Some are very well intentioned–all the apps improvements, the quick resume and so on–while others, especially Launchpad, are misguided because they’re not necessarily efficient, even on iOS. But I think Apple’s doing the right thing by bringing the two product lines together where it makes sense, at least from a user experience standpoint. I may not agree with each design decision, but Apple will tinker with this and get it right over time, as they always do.

But Lion, overall, is in great shape. Where I’ve generally derided Apple for overpimping its largely evolutionary OS X updates over the years, Lion shows that there’s some life left yet in the Mac OS X side of the house. This isn’t just a collection of minor updates and refinishes. It’s a step away from the norm, finally, after a decade of steady and largely boring minor revisions. I’m excited to see where they take OS X next.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Any news?

I went out last night, got my hard dive to back everything up, got an itunes gift card. I'm ready!

I also did a complete erase and re-install of my hard drive. I found it very slow and sluggish. It's working fantasitc now, I'm glad I did it!

Old
07-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Coldplay
Courage

No news, but I'd wager on it coming next week. Hang tight!

Old
07-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
My guess is definitely before Wednesday.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

I'm betting on tomorrow... hoping for the rumored MacBook Air refresh too.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Ya, I've seen a lot of rumors that it will be tomorrow!

Here's hoping!

Last edited by Smeddy: 07-19-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: What's a rummer?
Old
07-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Apple confirmed that OS X Lion will be released tomorrow on the Mac App Store via its earnings call today.

I don't think the new MacBook Airs will come on the same day, though. I presume we'll see those next week, once the spotlight is off OS X Lion. My maxed out , current-gen 13" is going strong, and despite the fact this refresh will in all likelihood feature Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt, I'lll lay off until the next revision.

Old
07-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Do you know what time?

I'm hoping to wake up and download it in the morning!

Old
07-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Apple confirmed that OS X Lion will be released tomorrow on the Mac App Store via its earnings call today.

I don't think the new MacBook Airs will come on the same day, though. I presume we'll see those next week, once the spotlight is off OS X Lion. My maxed out , current-gen 13" is going strong, and despite the fact this refresh will in all likelihood feature Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt, I'lll lay off until the next revision.
Do you use your MBA as your primary computer? I've had an MBP since '08 and it's still in good shape aside from some minor issues. I'm considering picking up one of the new MBAs when they come out because I want something lighter. The only reason reason why I'm apprehensive is the smaller screen size... although I suppose since I'll be working with the same resolution it doesn't really matter. Are you satisfied with your MBA's power? I occasionally do Photoshop work and video editing.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
Do you know what time?

I'm hoping to wake up and download it in the morning!
I couldn't say, but Apple does have a habit of releasing stuff/kicking off keynotes around 10AM Cupertino time (1PM eastern). I think that's a good bet, but like I said, I really don't know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
Do you use your MBA as your primary computer? I've had an MBP since '08 and it's still in good shape aside from some minor issues. I'm considering picking up one of the new MBAs when they come out because I want something lighter. The only reason reason why I'm apprehensive is the smaller screen size... although I suppose since I'll be working with the same resolution it doesn't really matter. Are you satisfied with your MBA's power? I occasionally do Photoshop work and video editing.
I do use my MacBook Air as my primary computer. For a few years, I was on a 3.06 GHz iMac (which worked great), but I needed the portability more than ever. The iPad filled part of that need, but not enough for me to use it exclusively as my mobile device.

So I let go of my iMac, and bought the maxed out Air with 2.13/4GB RAM/256 SSD in January. I do a lot of writing, document processing, keynotes, and occasional Photoshop work on it. At home, it plugs into an external display, so I get to take advantage of the bigger screen size when I need it.

The SSD is really what makes all the difference though. It has made the transition to a, technically, slower chipset (3.06 vs 2.13) more than bearable. In fact, I'd say that the SSD is in itself the killer feature of the Air. Anandtech had a great, extensive review of the machine (highly recommended), and it most certainly fares well as a primary computer for me. I haven't skipped a beat: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3991/a...3inch-reviewed. The 4GB of RAM is, obviously, essential...thankfully Apple is rumoured to be making that the base configuration for the new ones (2GB seems too low to me).

Now, the next Air will bring way better internals (not that the current gen is underpowered, but the Core 2 Duo line is getting a bit dated), so I can't say that any qualms I have with the current underpinnings of the machine will stick around (the video card isn't great, and the lack of a backlit keyboard is annoying). The screen itself is beautiful, the resolution is as good as the 15" MacBook Pro's, and the non-reflective bezel eliminates a lot of the downside of using a glossy screen (there is less of an area for the light to bounce off of, unlike on the MBPs).

I can't understate how light this thing is, really. It's a joy to carry around, and if you do buy one, you'll love how thin and sleek it is. I'm not sure how heavy your Photoshop work is, but if you don't game, and you don't expect to process heavy amounts of photos/videos, then the Air is a good bet.

But, again, I'm not sure how heavy of a user you are.

Old
07-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Store is down. Maybe I was wrong about them not coming today.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I've been wrong with a bunch of my predictions in the last few days!

Old
07-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Lion's out, and I was wrong on the Airs. They look awesome. Must resist.

Old
07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Smeddy
Intangibles

I am kind of disappointed that the cheapest air only comes with 2 gb of ram. I kept hearing 4.

Old
07-20-2011, 09:23 AM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Lion's out, and I was wrong on the Airs. They look awesome. Must resist.
MBA's are the only Macs that appeal to me anymore, but that 13" @ $1300 seems like the sweet spot.

I'd rather have the 11.6", but 1440x900, an SD slot, and slightly faster i5 are better options. The $1000 model is just a poor effort all around. 2 GB and a 64 GB SSD - Why bother?

Luckily, I don't need a new computer.

Edit: I can't believe they still charge $80 for an external DVD drive. People can by this for the same price (also USB powered):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151239

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Done download.

30 minutes to go in install!

Last edited by Smeddy: 07-20-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old
07-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Smeddy
Intangibles

And I'm in!

Not sure if I like inverted scrolling or not, I'll give it a few days to see if I get used to it, right now it's kind of awkward.

Wow, no disk drive on the new Mac mini?

Last edited by Smeddy: 07-20-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old
07-20-2011, 02:09 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Just installed it. So far so good!

Mission Control is awesome.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:07 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
Wow, no disk drive on the new Mac mini?
Physical media is dead.

I wish that all laptops (at least under 15") had no optical drive. That thing is massive. Could have a thinner/faster/cooler/better battery laptop instead.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:10 PM
MayDay

Lion appears to have killed Safari on my MacBook.

Safari has crashed or had to be force-quit every time I've run it (at least a half-dozen times) since installing the upgrade. Ah well, Firefox it is.

Full-screen mode is kind of neat, but I don't think I'll be using it much. I like to multitask.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:24 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Physical media is dead.

I wish that all laptops (at least under 15") had no optical drive. That thing is massive. Could have a thinner/faster/cooler/better battery laptop instead.
I use DVDs on my computer all the time.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

Safari has crashed or had to be force-quit every time I've run it (at least a half-dozen times) since installing the upgrade. Ah well, Firefox it is.

Full-screen mode is kind of neat, but I don't think I'll be using it much. I like to multitask.
Same here.

Old
07-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Physical media is dead.

I'd rather just have a second hard drive (I will be ditching my optical drive soon).

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:53 PM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Quote:

If your gonna use an alternate browser, I'd use Chrome, it is the only browser that can use the full screen mode on multiple monitors, so it can go full screen on one monitor and if you have another monitor you can still use it for all your other stuff.

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:41 PM
ILuvLucic*

Quote:

Update to Safari 5.1

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote