HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL Florida Panthers fans' Lounge -- ARCHIVED

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2004, 08:46 AM
ratmanfu

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint
Just outta curiosity, how are you being effected by the storm right about now?
As of 9:39 this morning, nothing but clouds and the occasional breeze.

Pretty decent weather for flying a kite.

Old
08-13-2004, 08:55 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
True, but do I care about that stuff? NO! I'm 18! And that's the best part about high school girls... THEY WILL ALWAYS STAY YOUNG! :lol
Clint,

You just reminded me of one of my absolutely favorite movies of all time, Dazed and Confused. With Matthew McConaughey in the LMAO role as David Wooderson.

Wooderson: That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age.

Old
08-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Just outta curiosity, how are you being effected by the storm right about now?
I am in Orlando so we should get some pretty decent rain and winds later this afternoon. I am hoping work will decide to let us all go early today.

Old
08-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatmanReturns
As of 9:39 this morning, nothing but clouds and the occasional breeze.

Pretty decent weather for flying a kite.
I did that with a kite on the end of 30 lbs test durin hurricane Irene (the one that went through Palm Beach county, instead of up the west coast as it was "supposed" to do)a few years back. Sat in my garage with a bottom rod flyin the kite with glow sticks on it and throwin back some beers with friends. Good time for havin the power out.

Old
08-13-2004, 12:45 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Anyways, any insider tips/advice concerning the college experience would be greatly appreciated. And give me ideas on cool stuff to bring besides clothes, pillows, posters, etc.
Considering that I'm not too far removed from college, I'll give you what insight I can. The flip flops are most important as patastrophe mentioned. Have some kind of system with your roommate for when you have a chick over and you're getting your groove on (and set up some kind of room rules...it helps). I wouldn't get your hopes up too high over getting chicks as a freshmen (reminds me of the movie Can't Hardly Wait and Tripp McNeely character played by Jerry O'Connell). I remember lotsa people having blacklights and lava lamps in college (and the posters to go with these as well).

Otherwise, just some other advice...don't expect to graduate in 4 yrs (if you do, you didn't really experience college ). College...best 6 yrs of my life But don't get into too many bad habits in your first semester (like I sorta did). A friend from my old neighborhood was validictorian at his school and he flunked out of FSU after one yr. I wouldn't suggest joining a fraternity in your freshman yr either (I waited till my sophomore yr) or any one group really until you're settled. Dorm cateria food sucks...no doubts about it...just try to find something you like (even cereal...I ate a whole lot of cereal in college). Anyhow, have fun, study some, and enjoy your college experience.

Old
08-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
I did that with a kite on the end of 30 lbs test durin hurricane Irene (the one that went through Palm Beach county, instead of up the west coast as it was "supposed" to do)a few years back. Sat in my garage with a bottom rod flyin the kite with glow sticks on it and throwin back some beers with friends. Good time for havin the power out.
That Hurricane sucked b/c it was supposed to hit Lake Okeechobee so they drained a lot of it into the canal system that surrounds my neighborhood. With our canals already nearly full, the Hurricane wrecked us. I live on a street that is surrounded by canals on 2 sides (like and L) and it flooded so much that both sides met.

Good memories though. My best friend (who lives across the canal at the end of the street -- on the _ part of the L whereas I live at the top of the | part) drove his boat to my house and knocked on my front door from his boat. We spent most of the day driving up and down all the streets in his boat. Good times.

Old
08-13-2004, 01:05 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
That Hurricane sucked b/c it was supposed to hit Lake Okeechobee so they drained a lot of it into the canal system that surrounds my neighborhood. With our canals already nearly full, the Hurricane wrecked us. I live on a street that is surrounded by canals on 2 sides (like and L) and it flooded so much that both sides met.

Good memories though. My best friend (who lives across the canal at the end of the street -- on the _ part of the L whereas I live at the top of the | part) drove his boat to my house and knocked on my front door from his boat. We spent most of the day driving up and down all the streets in his boat. Good times.
I was on vacation all summer at our cottage near London, Ontario right on Lake Huron. We were gonna drive back Thursday, but the Hurricane came along with Bonnie. It's awesome here now tho it did rain all summer long about. While y'all have rain and wind, I have sunshine at about 75 degrees right now.

j/k

Man, we have to go back to SFLA on probably Sunday so we'll arrive Tuesday. MAn, sure is great w/o humidity. Sux to go back in the middle of the summer (Damn Broward county schools. :mad: )

Old
08-13-2004, 01:56 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
Otherwise, just some other advice...don't expect to graduate in 4 yrs (if you do, you didn't really experience college ). College...best 6 yrs of my life But don't get into too many bad habits in your first semester (like I sorta did).
C'mon, Rich, you must not have been trying too hard. Although I never indulged myself, I knew plenty of people in college who graduated after 4 years despite they probably couldn't remember the first 3...some 4.

Old
08-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus
C'mon, Rich, you must not have been trying too hard. Although I never indulged myself, I knew plenty of people in college who graduated after 4 years despite they probably couldn't remember the first 3...some 4.
Well I started going to school down in south FL at Nova Southeastern but after 2 yrs changed my major (from Pharmacy to Computer Science). Then after another yr down here, I transferred up to East Carolina University (you may recognize the name since they beat UM's football team 2 yrs in a row ). After a yr up there, I changed my major again (from Computer Science to Management Information Systems). When I transferred I lost at least a semester of classes and each time I switched majors I put myself back a semester. This brings up some more good advice, don't try to declare a major until at least your sophomore yr.

Considering I graduated with well over 140 credits (and I actually had more but some didn't transfer), I did have a very rounded education. Most degrees also require more than the standard 120 credits too nowadays...which is why its hard to graduate in 4 yrs unless you go during summer too.

Old
08-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Clash*

Clint, the easiest advice to give you... use a 64 oz. Gatorade bottle to make a beer bong. Get a plastic hose for the end and have it long enough to hold a beer. Other than that, if you're into token on occasion, get the biggest h2o pipe you can find, and maybe a hookah pipe.

Old
08-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
if you're into token on occasion...
Nah, I'm not into the ganj. The worst I do is smoke cigars on occasion. Special occasion, like once every six months. That's actually what I'm doing tonight with a bunch of my friends.

It's gonna be fun. I'm inviting about 20 people over to my apartment complex so we can chill on the pool deck and smoke cigars and drink Jack and Coke. Nothing too rowdy, what I have in mind is us just chilling out on the lawn chairs, smokin our cigars and talkin' old times. I'll tell you all how it goes.

Tonight is the last night I can chill with my buds. I'm gonna be in Aventura tomorrow, straightening out some last minute details at my dad's, Sunday I'm gonna be with this girl, then Monday morning I head out.

It's cool because I'm gonna be leaving the first day my high school starts up again, so I'm gonna pass by and say goodbye to my favorite teachers for one last time.

I can't believe that I'm going away. I'm SORELY gonna miss my friends. Not to sound queer or anything, but I really love some of those guys. The last two years of high school have been a blast.

Old
08-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Clash*

Clint, live by this one rule while at college... If you don't, dont start, but if you do, don't stop. Apply it to drugs, sex, country music (please don't start listenin to this, if you haven't already), or whatever.

Old
08-14-2004, 03:01 AM
patastrophe

Send a message via Yahoo to patastrophe
Quote:
Clint, live by this one rule while at college... If you don't, dont start, but if you do, don't stop. Apply it to drugs, sex, country music (please don't start listenin to this, if you haven't already), or whatever.

clash, dude, country music is the one exception to the if you do dont stop rule.
please, for the love of god, save yourselves from the evil country music!

(although bluegrass kicks much touchis...some AMAZING players in that genre)

Old
08-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patastrophe
clash, dude, country music is the one exception to the if you do dont stop rule.
please, for the love of god, save yourselves from the evil country music!

(although bluegrass kicks much touchis...some AMAZING players in that genre)
Actually, I'd rather many of the hillbillies that listen to country not stop, cause then they act like fools at shows like a Warped tour when they try to intermingle.

As for bluegrass, I don't consider that to be country so much, much like rockabilly. Its it's own genre' of music. Even the classic country stars like Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings to name two are not the same as the crap you can see on CMT or GAC video channels. Today's country scene tends to be for those that can't make it in the normal music world, as they try to be more like mainstream music/rock, except they wear cowboy hats to keep to their roots..

Old
08-15-2004, 03:13 AM
patastrophe

Quote:
As for bluegrass, I don't consider that to be country so much, much like rockabilly. Its it's own genre' of music...
thats pretty much what i was getting at.

oh, and one of those sites i sent you to changed format. its now 5 cents a song.
the other is still $9.95 for 90 days unlimited though.

Old
08-16-2004, 12:23 AM
Crossbar

Wow I can't believe the men's Olympic basketball USA "Dream Team" lost AGAIN! Over the many years they've been about as dominant as the old Soviet Union was in hockey during World Championship play back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. I would say Puerto Rico is this decade's "Do you believe in miracles?" story... but this USA team really STINKS if they lost to them AND Italy all in the same year, and by large margins I might add!

Old
08-16-2004, 04:37 AM
patastrophe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
Wow I can't believe the men's Olympic basketball USA "Dream Team" lost AGAIN! Over the many years they've been about as dominant as the old Soviet Union was in hockey during World Championship play back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. I would say Puerto Rico is this decade's "Do you believe in miracles?" story... but this USA team really STINKS if they lost to them AND Italy all in the same year, and by large margins I might add!
doesnt matter how good your players are when they get beat by a TEAM.

problem is these guys are playing the nba game of dunking millionaires while the other guys are playing a structured team game.

Old
08-16-2004, 04:46 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patastrophe
doesnt matter how good your players are when they get beat by a TEAM.

problem is these guys are playing the nba game of dunking millionaires while the other guys are playing a structured team game.
Exact reason I became disinterested in the sport entirely. At least with baseball I follow the college ranks, but I can't stand college hoops. And I'll give you the reason as to why basketball in the USA has gone down. Two words. Like Mike. They all wanted to be like Mike. Jordan revolutionized the game alright, but for the worse.

Old
08-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
This brings up some more good advice, don't try to declare a major until at least your sophomore yr.
Sound advice - it's practically what I did. I declared in the spring semester of my freshman year. By that time I had 12 credits in political science and was taking 6 credits more, and had been leaning that direction all along...so that's what I did.

And I also didn't graduate in 4 years - I fell 2.5 credits short due to failing the honors course in my major. How do you like that Finished my poli sci degree by taking a second (higher-level) calculus course with an eye to a computer programming certificate (which I got two classes into before life interfered) after taking a semester off.

Old
08-16-2004, 10:00 PM
Crossbar

I don't think anyone mentioned it yet on this board but sad to hear Ivan Hlinka died in the car crash today, prayers go out to his family and friends.

Old
08-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
I don't think anyone mentioned it yet on this board but sad to hear Ivan Hlinka died in the car crash today, prayers go out to his family and friends.
Wow... that killed the mood.

Anyways, college is fun, and the girls are hot.

Between moving out of my house, moving into my dorm, meeting new people/girls, going to the AMAZING fitness center on campus, and partying every night... I haven't had alot of time to go online.

I know you missed me.

Anyways, college recap.

My room is cool. It's small, but it's all I need for the next year. I put up my big Panthers flag above my bed, and have been decorating my walls with pictures, a Dolphin banner, a Seminoles banner, and various posters. It's almost feeling like home.

My roomate is alright. His name is Jake and he's from St. Augustine. No really big flaws in him, except he seems as if he has no intention of having fun in college. Very serious guy... kinda nerdy (Yeah, I post on online hockey messageboards, and HE'S a nerd )... but I guess that's a good trait to have in a roomate. He'll probably be like a moderator... making sure I stay on my feet and don't party too much.

There are some really cool guys on my floor. We already have a name for ourselves. "The K-5 Dynasty." 'K' because we are in Kellum Hall, and '5' because we are on the 5th floor. We've bonded really well in the first few days we've known each other, and we've been going out almost every night partying. WAY hot girls at some of these parties. The other ones have been sausage fests.

I haven't been to any frat parties yet, but almost. I was invited to one, and as we were walking up to the house at like 12 AM, it got broken up by the cops. Oh well, there will be many more.

Let's see... what else... Oh yeah, the Leach Center. That's the fitness center, and it's AMAZING. VERY nice facility. First class weights sets, racketball courts, basketball courts, pools, diving boards, spas, messages. Anything you could ask for. Beats the hell out of LA Fitness and Golds Gym. Best part of all... it's FREE. My tuition already took care of it.

Oh... books are expensive. After it was all said and done... I had 87 cents left in my account. I was sitting pretty tight for a few days. My parents reimbursed me, and my financial aid will reimburse them.

Anyway, I'm probably gonna be heading out to eat. I'm lucky enough to have a meal plan at the cafeteria, so i eat for free whenever. Thank God for that, or else I'd starve to death.

I'll update you guys later... boy, it looks boring around here... I haven't posted in forever and there are only like 4 new threads.

Last edited by Clint: 08-21-2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old
08-21-2004, 11:25 AM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Wow... that killed the mood.

Anyways, college is fun, and the girls are hot.

Between moving out of my house, moving into my dorm, meeting new people/girls, going to the AMAZING fitness center on campus, and partying every night... I haven't had alot of time to go online.

I know you missed me.

Anyways, college recap.

My room is cool. It's small, but it's all I need for the next year. I put up my big Panthers flag above my bed, and have been decorating my walls with pictures, a Dolphin banner, a Seminoles banner, and various posters. It's almost feeling like home.

My roomate is alright. His name is Jake and he's from St. Augustine. No really big flaws in him, except he seems as if he has no intention of having fun in college. Very serious guy... kinda nerdy (Yeah, I post on online hockey messageboards, and HE'S a nerd )... but I guess that's a good trait to have in a roomate. He'll probably be like a moderator... making sure I stay on my feet and don't party too much.

There are some really cool guys on my floor. We already have a name for ourselves. "The K-5 Dynasty." 'K' because we are in Kellum Hall, and '5' because we are on the 5th floor. We've bonded really well in the first few days we've known each other, and we've been going out almost every night partying. WAY hot girls at some of these parties. The other ones have been sausage fests.

I haven't been to any frat parties yet, but almost. I was invited to one, and as we were walking up to the house at like 12 AM, it got broken up by the cops. Oh well, there will be many more.

Let's see... what else... Oh yeah, the Leach Center. That's the fitness center, and it's AMAZING. VERY nice facility. First class weights sets, racketball courts, basketball courts, pools, diving boards, spas, messages. Anything you could ask for. Beats the hell out of LA Fitness and Golds Gym. Best part of all... it's FREE. My tuition already took care of it.

Oh... books are expensive. After it was all said and done... I had 87 cents left in my account. I was sitting pretty tight for a few days. My parents reimbursed me, and my financial aid will reimburse them.

Anyway, I'm probably gonna be heading out to eat. I'm lucky enough to have a meal plan at the cafeteria, so i eat for free whenever. Thank God for that, or else I'd starve to death.

I'll update you guys later... boy, it looks boring around here... I haven't posted in forever and there are only like 4 new threads.
Sounds awesome man!

Yea I should be moving out any day now too. I don't start my college until the 7th, but I want to get my place worked in.

I'm not staying in residence though, me and 2 of my best buds, since we are all going to the same school decided to rent a town house. We are slowly moving stuff in. I can't wait though.

I too will up-date you guys more on this situation later though.

Old
08-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Clint, why do I picture your freshman year with your roommate bein a flashback scene from "PCU", with Jeremy Piven (agent in Entourage on HBO) and David Spade? Give the guy a few weeks and he might loosen up. Better yet, get him laid and see how that affects him.

Old
08-21-2004, 11:45 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Clint, why do I picture your freshman year with your roommate bein a flashback scene from "PCU", with Jeremy Piven (agent in Entourage on HBO) and David Spade? Give the guy a few weeks and he might loosen up. Better yet, get him laid and see how that affects him.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that scene is awesome.

PCU is such a great movie.

Old
08-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Clint

Quote:
Hmm... never saw PCU, but I know who Spade and Piven are.

Dare I ask... which one do I remind you of?

PS... don't think he's getting laid anytime soon... he still hasn't dipped his pen into any ink... if you know what I'm sayin'

And anyways, I'm not sure I want him to loosen up... he might be my best chance of getting through my freshman year with my GPA intact

Closed Thread