HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Alzner signed to two-year deal ($1.285M cap hit)

Old
07-15-2011, 09:34 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Wow. Interesting. This is a reduction in his cap hit... and pay IIRC. I dont think anyone had him pegged for under 2.5M. Keeping prospects in Hershey can have its benefits after all.

Good work George.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:40 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

vCash: 500
FIRE GMGM!

Seriously though, holy F. The man's a Jedi.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:40 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Wow. Interesting. This is a reduction in his cap hit... and pay IIRC. I dont think anyone had him pegged for under 2.5M. Keeping prospects in Hershey can have its benefits after all.

Good work George.
Well his old cap hit included bonuses so no idea if he ever reached those totals to get the full pay.

Still...thats a good ****ing deal for two seasons.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Well done.

What's the lowdown on space now with Poti on LTIR?
Assuming Poti to LTIR permanently, the Alzner deal leaves them with ~$3.135M for the last three forward spots on the roster. That's presumably 4RW and two reserves and putting Beagle & King on the bubble with a handful of others.

In theory, they could afford to sign a veteran to a $1M deal and be able to fit any other two internal forward options. Not that they'd want to do so necessarily, as that would eat into short-term injury call-up space.

So, yeah, options. This deal means no other cap dumps are absolutely necessary.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:46 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well his old cap hit included bonuses so no idea if he ever reached those totals to get the full pay.

Still...thats a good ****ing deal for two seasons.
Good point, and a great facking deal for us. I have always wondered what his bonus clause(s) were. I presume they are ever never made public. A bonus for a defensive D.... I would think it must be games played. If anyone knows what they typically are, hook me up. I have never heard the details of a single bonus clause post lockout.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Per McNally: Alzner's 105 percent qualifier was $826,875.

That means his base salary was $787,500. He was no longer eligible for schedule A and B bonuses following his ELC.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/...gn-karl-alzner

"Add in Alzner’s contract to a final roster with – just speculating here – Mattias Sjogren, Jay Beagle and D.J. King as the last forwards and Poti on LTIR and Washington would be at $1.084,872 under the cap at the start of the season. With guys inevitably going on injured reserve, cheaper call-ups from Hershey getting time in Washington etc., there is some room to bump up that space a bit."

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 09:56 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Nice deal for the Caps. Glad to see the reasonable 2nd contract is still around for non-superstars.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:03 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

If they could some how move Schultz and someone like Perreauly for a decent forward making $1.5 something....then sign Hannan...Id do cartwheels.

Old
07-15-2011, 10:04 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Good point, and a great facking deal for us. I have always wondered what his bonus clause(s) were. I presume they are ever never made public. A bonus for a defensive D.... I would think it must be games played. If anyone knows what they typically are, hook me up. I have never heard the details of a single bonus clause post lockout.
For a guy like Alzner, I think his bonus's would or should involve games played, minutes per game, and dare I say maybe even +/- though that's not a good indicator as I give you exhibit A, Jeff Schultz.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Though Cap Geek doesn't have it up yet, we were 400 k under, I assume the 1.3 to Alzner would make it 900 k over then. Poti going to LTIR takes 2.875 away which translates then to us being 1.9 under. Couple that with just moving Jeff Schultz's 2.75 would be more than enough for resigning Scott Hannan then.
LTIR never gets you under. It only allows you to exceed the cap by that amount.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:05 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If they could some how move Schultz and someone like Perreauly for a decent forward making $1.5 something....then sign Hannan...Id do cartwheels.
You and me both....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:07 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
I have a feeling that this time around Perreault will stay with the parent club. He won't be dressed that often but will be the energy guy that they will occasionally infuse in to the line up just to get things going again. Question about Perreault, this time around if he's with the Caps and then he's sent down to Hershey will he now have to pass through waivers?

Plus with Bradley gone, the team is in need of a bleeder.

Last edited by BiPolar Caps: 07-15-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old
07-15-2011, 10:08 AM
sk84fun_dc

Some of the bonuses for ELCs are defined in the CBA, but no details of all bonus structures are not made public. I think most assume he hit a games played bonus, but from the other bonuses listed in the CBA, don't think he could hit any other of the CBA defined bonuses. Haven't read up on this recently, but there might have been something else that he could have hit other than games played, but that seems like the only definite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Per McNally: Alzner's 105 percent qualifier was $826,875.

That means his base salary was $787,500. He was no longer eligible for schedule A and B bonuses following his ELC.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/...gn-karl-alzner

People seem to forget this point when discussing players coming off of bonus filled ELCs. Not the case with Carlson by the way next year.

FWIW, the Alzner QO has been listed on here for awhile, no news there That's his base salary after subtracting out the signing bonus, as well as the performance bonuses.

sk84fun_dc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:12 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
LTIR never gets you under. It only allows you to exceed the cap by that amount.
Understand then. So Poti on LTIR will allow the caps to go 2.875 over the cap. So right now they are 900K over, so Poti's situation would allow for perhaps 1.9 additional over. Still makes the case to get Jeff Schultz out of town on the next Greyhound.

Old
07-15-2011, 10:15 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

No offense + 2nd contract + only two yrs = small cap hit. You may recall, I was also projecting him at sub $2M.

07-15-2011, 10:30 AM
tmljeh19

But but but his jersey was on the sale rack!!!

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:33 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Green - Hamrlik
Carlson - Alzner
Wideman - Hannan
Erskine

I mean. That would work for me. For once...in the past god know how many seasons...that would work for me defensively.

Old
07-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

There has been a total black hole as far as Hannan is concerned, so whether he's looking for salary, for term, or what that teams have found unreasonable is totally unknown. There has been no reliable indication of what he wants to do, be it wait for the Caps, sign anywhere for the highest bidder, wait it out until a team has an injury, etc.

Old
07-15-2011, 10:42 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Theft.

It's amazing to me that the guy responsible for the Ben Clymer extension also has this on his resume. Good ****.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The one aspect to this that causes raised eyebrows is that I believe Alzner gives up one of his arbitration-eligible years. It may have been that this deal actually represents the compromise.

"Take the qualifier to get to arbitration next year, else we can give you a more substantial 50% raise from the qualifier, but you have to give us an arbitration year."

Genius.

Old
07-15-2011, 10:54 AM
C-A-P-S

Quote:
Green - Hamrlik
Carlson - Alzner
Wideman - Hannan
Erskine

I mean. That would work for me. For once...in the past god know how many seasons...that would work for me defensively.
Me too....but I have to say GMGM is a negotiating wizard. Holy **** that's a crazy deal.

C-A-P-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:56 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
No offense + 2nd contract + only two yrs = small cap hit. You may recall, I was also projecting him at sub $2M.
Youre not the only one. But not this low for me. When I woke up and saw the tweet at first I was pissed cause I thought it was 2.27 per, not total.

Agreed with others on hannan in sarge out to complete this offseason. But whatever. Fantasy land!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Robert Theodorson

I'm jumping on board ya'lls trade/dump in trash/send to a deserted island/throw him out of a plane Schultz and sign Hannan bandwagon

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

great deal. i thought he was getting 2.5 per year and was happy but thats his total contract so better.

I think GMGM is done for now

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
wow....Caps "lucked" into another one.....and imagine, after GMGM/BB ruined his career, his game, and robbed him of his childhood....he still signed a deal at a decent salary.
Agree 100%. Another "lucky" signing. Imagine that, and even after Alzner suffered at the hands of the slave-camp atmosphere in Hershey for so long....

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote