HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alzner signed to two-year deal ($1.285M cap hit)

Old
07-15-2011, 01:53 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Alzner is going to be on local radio 106.7 The Fan at 5:30pm EST.

Listen Live
http://player.radio.com/player/Radio...20&station=114

Maybe I should call in.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-15-2011 at 01:58 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:17 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
This thing must get a workout at your house.
Cute

To be fair then, in that post, I thought it was Chimera going and not Fehr. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Alzner is going to be on local radio 106.7 The Fan at 5:30pm EST.

Listen Live
http://player.radio.com/player/Radio...20&station=114

Maybe I should call in.

Do it, RH. Ask him about the weather in Vancouver this summer so I know its you.

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 07-15-2011 at 02:37 PM.
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:29 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

That's one hell of a punishment Alzner gave the Caps for putting him in Hershey.

Like I said, it was the biggest non-story of the offseason that people were continually *****ing about.

Glad he got paid for what he's done, and not what he might be some day.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
The thing is....people know when we exaggerate. When someone says....

"The chickens are coming home to roost. McPhee played games with Alzner, and Alzner is going to make him pay for it."

its hard to tell. Maybe Atlas was exaggerating, didnt seem like it.....didnt seem like it when you argued his point.

If you dont like people pointing out how wrong you were/are, dont post ridiculous thoughts like that....

I'm glad you are enjoying the signing, Mothra. I love Alzner.

I don't think this is wizardry on McPhee's part. I imagine he would've preferred an 8-10 year deal for Alzner. And if Alzner was so eager to commit to the Caps he would've pushed for a long-term deal himself.

This deal gives Alzner flexibility and a decent paycheck while playing with Carlson (and Ovie).

He's a class act.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

I don't think this is wizardry on McPhee's part. I imagine he would've preferred an 8-10 year deal for Alzner. And if Alzner was so eager to commit to the Caps he would've pushed for a long-term deal himself.

This deal gives Alzner flexibility and a decent paycheck while playing with Carlson (and Ovie).

He's a class act.
Alzner and his agent aren't fools. Unless you're getting huge $, committing to a longterm deal on Alzner's part would probably be a money loser today.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:47 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:

He's a class act.
I don't think that necessarily... he knows he'll be able to get a bigger, better contract in a couple of years, and he'll be worth that contract. He also knows that he's not worth that contract right now. So he signed a deal to take him through long enough to establish himself to the point where he will be worth a long-term, high dollar contract. He might even sign a one-year deal in 2014 to take him to UFA. But that doesn't mean he doesn't intend to stay with the Caps, it just means he knows that his contractable value is going to change during those time periods. I'm surprised he gave up a year after his arbitration eligibility. That to me shows commitment to the Caps more than anything else said or done during this deal.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:

He's a class act.
so, to be clear....are you saying the "chickens are coming home to roost....another year"?

he was always a class act.....he addressed vets as "Mr." his first camp because he "hadnt earned the right to call them by first name". Which is why I (and maybe others) pointed out that your "coming home to roost" comments held no water and were baseless

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:53 PM
EHCler

Great Deal for caps.

Now team is ready for the season.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 02:57 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
so, to be clear....are you saying the "chickens are coming home to roost....another year"?

he was always a class act.....he addressed vets as "Mr." his first camp because he "hadnt earned the right to call them by first name". Which is why I (and maybe others) pointed out that your "coming home to roost" comments held no water and were baseless
Did not know that.

OT: Yet another reason hockey is the best sport - players still know their place (for the most part).

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

The Caps signing Alzner to a long-term deal right now is a lose-lose.

Alzner wouldn't get as much total money as if he waited a couple years before signing the deal. He'd have less leverage and wouldn't have done as much at the NHL level. If he waits for his arb years or even UFA years, he can really cash in.

But a long-term deal now would certainly carry a higher cap hit than the one he just signed, given he would be surrenduring not only RFA and arb rights, but also UFA years. That would drive the value up. A bigger cap hit short term is not something the Capitals want given how close they're playing to the salary cap this season.

Long-term deal for Alzner makes no sense to anyone. Nice try, Atlas.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Im not sure how any of that applies to your position that Alzner, because he was sent to the AHL most of his first couple pro years, had a grudge and was going to make the Washington Capitals pay for that by only signing a high dollar, player friendly deal.

yes....ive said many times they got it handed to them, it wasnt close, and excuses are excuses and for losers. As for Neuvy? what bus? he was an average NHL goalie last season and IMO below average in the playoffs, certainly in round 2. Its not as if they are benching Broduer for TV....or they traded Roy to the Avs. I know you would like to spin things that way....but its not accurate.

I dont have any light...and if I did you wouldnt want to see it. You make the reality you want.....so, for you, they will never win a Cup.....period. Just like the "chickens are coming home to roost"...I expect if they ever win it will be "despite GMGM/BB/TL". They will have lucked in to 16 wins

Last edited by Langway: 07-15-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: qdp
Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Darkproducer
HFBoards Sponsor

sweeeeet.

Darkproducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:47 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

The McPhee Squeeze. What a pain in the ass he must be to deal with. Alzner just didnt have the resume for the big payday all us diehard fans were ready to pay him and were capgeekily projecting for him. His agent said, lets fight this fight another day, soon. Tail between his legs. George having little cap room may have helped him have leverage since Alzner wanted to be here.

I wonder what numbers Alzner's agent was thinking. I cant help but think he was eyeballing Sarge like numbers.

Varly saw more than losing the G job. He saw a big payday and he saw correctly.

One of McPhee's best offseasons, on early impressions.

Old
07-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Im not sure how any of that applies to your position that Alzner, because he was sent to the AHL most of his first couple pro years, had a grudge and was going to make the Washington Capitals pay for that by only signing a high dollar, player friendly deal.

yes....ive said many times they got it handed to them, it wasnt close, and excuses are excuses and for losers. As for Neuvy? what bus? he was an average NHL goalie last season and IMO below average in the playoffs, certainly in round 2. Its not as if they are benching Broduer for TV....or they traded Roy to the Avs. I know you would like to spin things that way....but its not accurate.

I dont have any light...and if I did you wouldnt want to see it. You make the reality you want.....so, for you, they will never win a Cup.....period. Just like the "chickens are coming home to roost"...I expect if they ever win it will be "despite GMGM/BB/TL". They will have lucked in to 16 wins
I think Alzner did the smart thing signing a short-term deal. He had no leverage. Do you have reason to think he's happy with McPhee? Maybe he's too innocent and happy-go-lucky to even care. This deal is as small a commitment as Alzner could make. He could've pulled a Bondra and *****ed in the media and held out until the regular season. That would never have been my advice to him....

Alzner, and we fans, did get jobbed by McPhee. Tyler Sloan, god bless him, got a jersey over a ready Karl Alzner in Game 5 against Montreal. That's real life. It was Bruce's arrogance, I'm sure, that led to it. The Caps beat up on the Habs for a couple games and Bruce thought he could get away with it. Had Alzner played the Caps very well might have won that game and series.

Last edited by Langway: 07-15-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:53 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
The McPhee Squeeze. What a pain in the ass he must be to deal with. Alzner just didnt have the resume for the big payday all us diehard fans were ready to pay him and were capgeekily projecting for him. His agent said, lets fight this fight another day, soon. Tail between his legs. George having little cap room may have helped him have leverage since Alzner wanted to be here.

I wonder what numbers Alzner's agent was thinking. I cant help but think he was eyeballing Sarge like numbers.
From Capitals Insider:

Quote:
“Without arbitration rights, what you spend time negotiating is the value of the second year and that’s where we had the gap,” Barry said in a telephone interview Friday.

Barry explained that the team initially cited comparables in a $1.2 million to $1.4 million range for the second year while he sought something in a higher range closer to $1.9 million to $2 million. They ultimately agreed to $1.75 million for the second year, which was combined with the qualifying offer of $826,895 and then spread out over the duration of the deal, Barry said.

“Our valuation of 1.75 puts him in the higher range of guys who have his experience and play those minutes as a shutdown defensemen, so I’m pleased with that,” Barry said. “At the same time, we’re fully aware that we think Karl has an excellent future and if he continues on this path he’ll be in a whole different class” when this contract expires.
On a side note, Schultz's contract bought out his RFA years, which always will raise the price of any deal. Thus, it probably wasn't used as a comparable.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:08 PM
SteveDS27

This team is now set and built to win. Great value for a player that is sure to receive a great pay day once this deal is over and the caps have more flexibility. Also getting rid of Shultz to sign Hannan would be a complete waste in my mind. Hannan is expecting at least 3M+, which will leave the caps with no room for any deadline deals if needed. Shultz has much more upside then down and, although might not be a top pairing guy, will fit in great alongside wides on the 3rd line. GMGM is a genius and BB is very capable of leading this team to a cup, even tho 90% of this forum aren't fans. A Jack Adams winner, Pres. Trophy winner with the highest scoring team in the last 15 years, and Eastern Conference champs with a shutdown defence. Although he lacks the playoff stats so does everyone else on the team. They have the experience and the depth, and if heathly there's no more excuses this time around.

SteveDS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:28 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Thanks Whaler. I didnt realize he didnt have arb rights, for one. What did you think he would get? I was up in the 2.5+ area.

Someone call in damnit! 1.800.636.1067

Old
07-15-2011, 04:38 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Sounds like Alzner is delayed until 6pm. Update, they are not cueing callers.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 07-15-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old
07-15-2011, 05:01 PM
txpd

road tripped today. listened to david mccullough's johnstown flood on the cd. good to see that was the only disaster of the day.

good work by mcphee and i'd bet alzner is happy as well

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:11 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
road tripped today. listened to david mccullough's johnstown flood on the cd. good to see that was the only disaster of the day.

good work by mcphee and i'd bet alzner is happy as well
Love McCullough, put him with David Halberstam as two of my favorite authors of the last 25 years or so.

Wife is currently reading his latest The Great Journey - Americans in Paris. The book of his that I want to read is Mornings on Horseback about Theodore Roosevelt.

BiPolar Caps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:15 PM
EroCaps

Chad "Dukes" is a ****** of epic proportions. Shocker, he's couching Alzner as a victim and Alzner isn't exactly arguing. I don't like how Karl is hoping to be paid back in the future for taking less now. Wtf. Earn it, kid.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:16 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Chad "Dukes" is a ****** of epic proportions. Shocker, he's couching Alzner as a victim and Alzner isn't exactly arguing. I don't like how Karl is hoping to be paid back in the future for taking less now. Wtf. Earn it, kid.
A victim of what?

07-15-2011, 05:20 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
YOUR UNBELIEVABLE HONESTLY

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:21 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

A victim of GMGM

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:22 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
A victim of GMGM
Because Gmgm did what to him? Hershey? Alzner said it himself. No other offers.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote