HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Official 2011-2012 Patriots Thread- Lockout OVER

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-29-2011, 07:42 PM
  #726
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,876
vCash: 500
Oh man I am so excited for the Bill Belichick special on NFL Network. I'd read about it earlier, but I'm watching the Jets/Giants game right now and just saw a promo. Aaaaaamazing.

Kate08 is offline  
Old
08-29-2011, 08:25 PM
  #727
FutureConsiderations
Registered User
 
FutureConsiderations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brookline, MA
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Surprising- I always thought Sanders was a safe and solid player back there.
Chung has good speed in the secondary, but Sanders was the guy they subbed in to negate speed threats downfield. He was a reliable, if unspectacular safety who had a lot of veteran leadership.

I know some are saying his cap hit had something to do with it, but even before he was cut the Patriots had plenty of cap space this year.

FutureConsiderations is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 10:08 AM
  #728
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,253
vCash: 500
If anyone is interested in joining a fantasy football league, there are some spots left in one I started. It's a bombers league, meaning bonus points for big games and long TD's, which is a little different than some other leagues and makes it more interesting.

If you want to join, here are the instructions:

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/?lid=314737

In order to join the league, follow the link above or go to game front page, click the "Sign Up Now" or "Get Another Team" button and follow the links to "Join a Custom League". When prompted, enter the League ID# and password below.

League ID#: 314737
Password: OT FTW!

We will send you a confirmation with further details once you have completed the registration process.

Thanks!

LSCII is online now  
Old
09-01-2011, 10:09 AM
  #729
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,253
vCash: 500
was listening to THS this am, and the general consensus is that Tate is going to get cut from the WR group. Mike Reis from ESPN Boston had that going down as well.

LSCII is online now  
Old
09-01-2011, 01:26 PM
  #730
Ten Thousand Hours
Registered User
 
Ten Thousand Hours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be surprised to see Tate get cut, but I don't see any rationalization for keeping Slater (or Tracy White) over Tate. You can't say that Tate has no value on ST because of the kickoff but Slater and White are useful ST players. Are you that concerned about our punt coverage? Tate might not be a very good receiver, but he is without a doubt a better non-ST player than Slater or White. I wouldn't mind keeping only 5 WR's and having Edelman return kicks, but I have a hard time seeing how Slater or White are better than Tate.

Ten Thousand Hours is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 05:12 PM
  #731
FutureConsiderations
Registered User
 
FutureConsiderations's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brookline, MA
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Marshmont View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Tate get cut, but I don't see any rationalization for keeping Slater (or Tracy White) over Tate. You can't say that Tate has no value on ST because of the kickoff but Slater and White are useful ST players. Are you that concerned about our punt coverage? Tate might not be a very good receiver, but he is without a doubt a better non-ST player than Slater or White. I wouldn't mind keeping only 5 WR's and having Edelman return kicks, but I have a hard time seeing how Slater or White are better than Tate.
Slater is the gunner on ST. That alone is a much more important position than an inconsistent 6th WR, especially with Hernandez playing TE and speedsters like Price and even Vereen (reportedly). If Tate had shown anything this preseason, it would be worth considering him as the 5th WR, but he hasn't.

Welker
Ocho
Branch
Edelman
Price
--
ST: Slater
--
Cut: White
Bubble: Tate (numbers game)

FutureConsiderations is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 05:39 PM
  #732
Ten Thousand Hours
Registered User
 
Ten Thousand Hours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
Since when are gunners more important than kick returners? Anyone cab be a gunner, especially with the kickoffs moved up. And it's a little unfair to say Edelman has definitely passed him on the WR depth chart when neither has done anything this preseason.

Ten Thousand Hours is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 06:11 PM
  #733
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86
 
Guiledoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Bing, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Marshmont View Post
Since when are gunners more important than kick returners? Anyone cab be a gunner, especially with the kickoffs moved up. And it's a little unfair to say Edelman has definitely passed him on the WR depth chart when neither has done anything this preseason.
While I agree with your point about gunner's becoming less important with the kickoffs moved up 5 yards, I think the same can be said about returners as well TBH, with so many kickoffs going for touchbacks.

I personally don't see the need to keep Tate on this roster if they are only keeping 5 WR's.

Guiledoom is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 06:19 PM
  #734
Ten Thousand Hours
Registered User
 
Ten Thousand Hours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
JRull, I'm fine with that. If we only keep 5 WRs, I'd be fine letting go of Tate. I just don't understand people saying Tate should be cut because of the kickoff rule and then saying Slater should make it, when he's also affected by the rule. I'd probably prefer Sammy Morris to both of them.

And Ellis, Wilfork, Big Al and Carter are starting today. Should be good to see.

Ten Thousand Hours is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 11:06 PM
  #735
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,206
vCash: 50
Fat Albert really seems to be buying in

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...medium=twitter

Shaun is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 11:11 PM
  #736
Arthur*
U MAD?
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,195
vCash: 500
I didn't watch very much of the game, but the little I did see showed how embarrassingly bad Brandon Tate is at just about every aspect of the game. I see no way in which he makes this team.

Sounds like the starters did very well, then the backups sort of collapsed. Oh well, preseason results don't matter at all, and we got to see what they're capable of. Can't wait for September 12th.

Arthur* is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 11:12 PM
  #737
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86
 
Guiledoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Bing, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Marshmont View Post
JRull, I'm fine with that. If we only keep 5 WRs, I'd be fine letting go of Tate. I just don't understand people saying Tate should be cut because of the kickoff rule and then saying Slater should make it, when he's also affected by the rule. I'd probably prefer Sammy Morris to both of them.

And Ellis, Wilfork, Big Al and Carter are starting today. Should be good to see.
Yeah I see what you're getting at.

The only reason I'm inclined to keep Slater is the fact that he was a ST Captain last season. Other than that, meh.

Guiledoom is offline  
Old
09-01-2011, 11:33 PM
  #738
TITAN126
u got a big dome, eh
 
TITAN126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Oh man I am so excited for the Bill Belichick special on NFL Network. I'd read about it earlier, but I'm watching the Jets/Giants game right now and just saw a promo. Aaaaaamazing.
That documentary is going to be two hours of pure inspiration. I can't wait!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
I didn't watch very much of the game, but the little I did see showed how embarrassingly bad Brandon Tate is at just about every aspect of the game. I see no way in which he makes this team.

Sounds like the starters did very well, then the backups sort of collapsed. Oh well, preseason results don't matter at all, and we got to see what they're capable of. Can't wait for September 12th.
I was flipping back and forth between the Sox and Pats. I agree about Tate. He's been on the bubble for the last 2-3 weeks and hasn't been productive at all. His value as a kick-return specialist also took a big hit with the kickoff being moved up to the 35. I've been rooting for him ever since the Patriots drafted him a couple years ago, but I think he'll get cut.

Hey Seguin2Marshmont, you'll be happy to know that Meriweather is still getting plenty of flack from the press.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...or-meriweather

Quote:
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Perhaps the biggest surprise of the Patriots' preseason finale at Gillette Stadium on Thursday night came when the starting defense took the field, and Josh Barrett, not Brandon Meriweather, received the start at safety.

The bumps in the road continue to come for Meriweather, who saw extensive playing time in the second half of the game with the reserve defensive unit on the field. The former first-round pick has seen his playing time slide as the team rotates personnel at the safety position.

Meriweather said after the game that he was neither surprised nor concerned with his situation.

"Coach always tells us [to] be ready to play for 60 minutes," he said. "At any point he can put you in or take you out. ...Coach is going to do whatever he thinks is best for the team, and everybody else just has to live with it."

Meanwhile, it was Barrett's first game action since 2009, after having spent all of last season on injured reserve, and missing all of training camp before returning to practice last week.

"It was good getting out there after a long hiatus of being injured," Barrett said. "I think there's obviously going to be stuff to improve on, but it felt good getting out there."

While his playing time with the top defensive unit is a positive sign for the fourth-year veteran, Barrett's spot on the 53-man roster, which will be decided by Saturday, is far from secure.

"I feel like that's going to be a decision left up to the coaching staff," Barrett said of any pending decisions on his roster status. "All I can do is worry about my job and approach it like that."

TITAN126 is offline  
Old
09-02-2011, 07:31 AM
  #739
Ten Thousand Hours
Registered User
 
Ten Thousand Hours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
Where was all the fuss when Patrick Chung didn't start last week? I love Mike Reiss' comment on Meriweather in the 3 up, 3 down. Something along the lines of he played well, but because he didn't start, and he played in the 2nd half, his stock dropped. So once again, people are busting Meriweather's balls not because he has played poorly but because of when he plays. Reiss, I love your work, but don't try to guess why Belichick does what he does in the preseason. Ever think that he wanted to give Barrett a look with the starters?

Ten Thousand Hours is offline  
Old
09-02-2011, 09:29 AM
  #740
Alicat
Charge!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOSTON
Country: United States
Posts: 20,702
vCash: 500
Bye bye B. Tate.

__________________
"I choose to focus on the things I CAN do and am passionate about." - Sam Berns

I am Boston Strong
6.15.11
4.15.13

Alicat is offline  
Old
09-02-2011, 09:43 AM
  #741
drd73
Registered User
 
drd73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: plymouth,ma
Country: United States
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Bye bye B. Tate.
agreed that pass to slater pretty much sealed his fate,with the new kickoff rules it's not like it did tate any favors,with all the depth we have at receiver i'd rather them keep a guy like slater around who's a solid contributor on special teams

drd73 is offline  
Old
09-02-2011, 09:49 AM
  #742
Mione134
Registered User
 
Mione134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hogwarts-617
Country: United States
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Marshmont View Post
Where was all the fuss when Patrick Chung didn't start last week? I love Mike Reiss' comment on Meriweather in the 3 up, 3 down. Something along the lines of he played well, but because he didn't start, and he played in the 2nd half, his stock dropped. So once again, people are busting Meriweather's balls not because he has played poorly but because of when he plays. Reiss, I love your work, but don't try to guess why Belichick does what he does in the preseason. Ever think that he wanted to give Barrett a look with the starters?


The fact he played in the 4th tells you everything you need to know. They aren't sold on Meriweather. Period. He's got all the talent in the world, but its about him utilizing it.

I get you like him an all. But you gotta open your eyes to what's going on. They're losing faith in the guy, and he only has to blame himself for it.

Mione134 is offline  
Old
09-02-2011, 09:50 AM
  #743
Ten Thousand Hours
Registered User
 
Ten Thousand Hours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drd73 View Post
agreed that pass to slater pretty much sealed his fate,with the new kickoff rules it's not like it did tate any favors,with all the depth we have at receiver i'd rather them keep a guy like slater around who's a solid contributor on special teams
This is what I don't get. You think the kickoff rule hurts Tate's value, but not Slaters? I'll admit that Slater played better than Tate yesterday and I don't want to make it sound like I'm driving the Brandon Tate bandwagon (I'm too busy driving Meriweather's bandwagon), but you have to see the hypocrisy when you say that Tate should be cut in part because of the new kickoff rule and then have a special teamer make it over him. If Tate gets cut (and I expect it to happen at this point) I think it'll be because Edelman has passed him on the WR and KR depth chart and Price has passed him on the WR depth chart.

Ten Thousand Hours is offline  
Old
09-02-2011, 09:51 AM
  #744
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
The fact he played in the 4th tells you everything you need to know. They aren't sold on Meriweather. Period. He's got all the talent in the world, but its about him utilizing it.

I get you like him an all. But you gotta open your eyes to what's going on. They're losing faith in the guy, and he only has to blame himself for it.
I'd keep him on the team just for the interviews and songs alone. The dude is a one man show!! He's got the VIP on SWOL....

LSCII is online now  
Old
09-02-2011, 09:58 AM
  #745
Ten Thousand Hours
Registered User
 
Ten Thousand Hours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
The fact he played in the 4th tells you everything you need to know. They aren't sold on Meriweather. Period. He's got all the talent in the world, but its about him utilizing it.

I get you like him an all. But you gotta open your eyes to what's going on. They're losing faith in the guy, and he only has to blame himself for it.
I did open my eyes. I actually watched the game. And he played fine. What did Patrick Chung not starting the 3rd preseason game tell you about his spot on the team? Nothing. He'll still be a starter in the regular season. So why does Meriweather get different treatment when he doesn't start in the preseason?

We have a guy who's been on our team for a little over a year but hasn't played a snap yet due to injuries (that's Josh Barrett, of course). Cut down day is in one day and he's on the bubble. It makes sense to see what he can do with the first unit for an entire half, and because he plays Meriweather's position and we didn't want Meriweather going 2 weeks without taking a snap, that left us with Meriweather playing in the 4th quarter. Trying to read anything into preseason playing time on a Bill Belichick team is just absurd. Don't tell me he's doing poorly this year until you actually see him play poorly.

Ten Thousand Hours is offline  
Old
09-02-2011, 09:58 AM
  #746
Mione134
Registered User
 
Mione134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hogwarts-617
Country: United States
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
If he gets a flatop like Tiquan Underwood then I'll allow him back.


I want that guy to make the team on his hair alone its fantastic.

Mione134 is offline  
Old
09-02-2011, 10:05 AM
  #747
Mione134
Registered User
 
Mione134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hogwarts-617
Country: United States
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Marshmont View Post
I did open my eyes. I actually watched the game. And he played fine. What did Patrick Chung not starting the 3rd preseason game tell you about his spot on the team? Nothing. He'll still be a starter in the regular season. So why does Meriweather get different treatment when he doesn't start in the preseason?

We have a guy who's been on our team for a little over a year but hasn't played a snap yet due to injuries (that's Josh Barrett, of course). Cut down day is in one day and he's on the bubble. It makes sense to see what he can do with the first unit for an entire half, and because he plays Meriweather's position and we didn't want Meriweather going 2 weeks without taking a snap, that left us with Meriweather playing in the 4th quarter. Trying to read anything into preseason playing time on a Bill Belichick team is just absurd. Don't tell me he's doing poorly this year until you actually see him play poorly.
The thing is, Brandon has continued to look bad since last year. You'd think he'd be better and want to be better considering how he dropped last year. I haven't seen it. And he has looked the same. No improvement. Great. He can make a big hit from time to time. But what good is that going to do when he's constantly out of position and late to the ball? He's getting beat pretty easily. That's a cause for concern.


Chung didnt start one game, but when he's played, he's looked okay. Not as bad as Meriweather. And he's continuing to improve from last year. Building upon the good things, and trying to fix the bad things, by all accounts he's doing a good job.


I haven't seen it with Brandon, and a lot of people are noticing it too.

Mione134 is offline  
Old
09-02-2011, 10:09 AM
  #748
Ten Thousand Hours
Registered User
 
Ten Thousand Hours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
The thing is, Brandon has continued to look bad since last year. You'd think he'd be better and want to be better considering how he dropped last year. I haven't seen it. And he has looked the same. No improvement. Great. He can make a big hit from time to time. But what good is that going to do when he's constantly out of position and late to the ball? He's getting beat pretty easily. That's a cause for concern.


Chung didnt start one game, but when he's played, he's looked okay. Not as bad as Meriweather. And he's continuing to improve from last year. Building upon the good things, and trying to fix the bad things, by all accounts he's doing a good job.


I haven't seen it with Brandon, and a lot of people are noticing it too.

You're seeing things that aren't there. He's only taken himself out of position once this preseason. He hasn't gone for the big hit at all. He's not late anywhere. He wasn't great last year. But he switched from free safety to more of an in the box strong safety, which gives him less freedom, and he's played great in his new role.

Ten Thousand Hours is offline  
Old
09-02-2011, 10:21 AM
  #749
Mione134
Registered User
 
Mione134's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hogwarts-617
Country: United States
Posts: 10,598
vCash: 500
^ disagree.

But whatever. We'll know soon enough.

Mione134 is offline  
Old
09-02-2011, 10:46 AM
  #750
Alicat
Charge!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOSTON
Country: United States
Posts: 20,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Marshmont View Post
This is what I don't get. You think the kickoff rule hurts Tate's value, but not Slaters? I'll admit that Slater played better than Tate yesterday and I don't want to make it sound like I'm driving the Brandon Tate bandwagon (I'm too busy driving Meriweather's bandwagon), but you have to see the hypocrisy when you say that Tate should be cut in part because of the new kickoff rule and then have a special teamer make it over him. If Tate gets cut (and I expect it to happen at this point) I think it'll be because Edelman has passed him on the WR and KR depth chart and Price has passed him on the WR depth chart.
Slater and Edelman play special teams and play it better than the rest of their teammates and that's why they are sticking. Brandon Tate isn't versatile enough for what the Patriots need.. Just ask Brady who he'd rather throw to. B Tate isn't even in the discussion.

Alicat is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.