HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who's better: Lidstrom or Pronger?

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2004, 12:24 AM
DynastyWings05

vCash: 500
Who's better: Lidstrom or Pronger?

You're the owner of an NHL team. Both Lidstrom and Pronger are entering their prime and desperately want to play for your team. But you only have room for one of them. Forget about contracts, age, the CBA and everything else. Which player do you choose and why?

Old
08-02-2004, 12:34 AM
Vlad The Impaler

I choose Pronger. I think he is a more dominant D and I prefer his nasty style (even though he borders on dirty too often for my liking).

They're both amazing and Lidstrom is smarter.

Old
08-02-2004, 12:39 AM
Shane

Pronger. I've always liked him better.

Old
08-02-2004, 12:59 AM
myrocketsgotcracked

vCash:
i like them equally much, honestly its hard to choose. but with pronger, hes going to be in the box for 150+mins for the season, so thats more penalties your team have to kill, and to kill them without your best Dman. so i pick lidstrom

Old
08-02-2004, 01:22 AM
sunb

Pronger without a doubt. He is the better defenseman and has the size and talent-level of a hall-of-famer. But Lidstrom has a better mental game and focus that makes him the more experienced one at this point. Lidstrom is disciplined and calm but I'd still take Pronger and his raw ability.

Old
08-02-2004, 01:36 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

I hate him, but its pronger
He carried the Blues on his back last year after jackman and mcinnis when down, he is a dirty player, but can do it all.

Old
08-02-2004, 01:44 AM
shveik

Lidstrom, no doubt.

Pronger's stickwork gives him an advantage in a regular season, but in the playoffs players are much more willing to pay the price and his effectiveness diminishes (never mind that due to higher quality referees his time in the box goes up). Of course, he could still learn to play defense without relying on the stickwork to scare people, and learn to control his frustration. Then his nastiness would be a bonus, and we can come back to this discussion.

Old
08-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
I agree with shveik.

Lidstrom. Lidstrom isnt always broken, or in the box, wins games with the slappers and A's... he's the measuring stick for all other defensemen.

Old
08-02-2004, 06:40 AM
eddy

I like pronger more so i'm gonna say him. But lidstrom is also amazing and plays a smarter game.

Old
08-02-2004, 06:49 AM
Safir*

Lidström plays defence with his instincts (positional game) and not so much with his buddy and still contends for the Norris.

Old
08-02-2004, 07:04 AM
shadoz19

Lidstrom. He's just that good. He doesn't take many penanties because he doesn't have to. When it comes to his defensive partners, he makes them look 10x better than what they are. That includes Schneider.

Old
08-02-2004, 07:44 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKarateMonkey
i like them equally much, honestly its hard to choose. but with pronger, hes going to be in the box for 150+mins for the season, so thats more penalties your team have to kill, and to kill them without your best Dman. so i pick lidstrom
Chris Pronger hasn't been in the box for 150+ minutes since the 97-98 season and has only done so ONCE in his entire career. This past season, he finished with 88 PIM's. Not quite 150, is it?

Old
08-02-2004, 07:47 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19
Lidstrom. He's just that good. He doesn't take many penanties because he doesn't have to. When it comes to his defensive partners, he makes them look 10x better than what they are. That includes Schneider.
You're kidding yourself if you think making your partner better is limited to Lidstrom. Chris Pronger's primary partner the season he won the Norris and Hart was Todd Rierden. Has Lidstrom EVER played with someone that weak?

Lidstrom and Pronger are 1A and 1B... it's unfortunate that people who a) are wings homers or b) dislike Pronger because of his style have to fabricate reasons like this and claims that Lidstrom plays a positional game. So does Pronger people... watch the games.

Old
08-02-2004, 07:48 AM
degroat*

BTW... a few seasons ago GM's were polled and asked this very question. 80% said Pronger.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY

Last edited by degroat*: 08-03-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old
08-02-2004, 08:03 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Pronger.

Old
08-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I like Lidstrom's style of play, but feel that Pronger brings more to the table. He's just as skilled, and has the size and willingness to beat people to a pulp Lidstrom doesn't possess.

Old
08-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
BTW... a few seasons ago GM's were polled and asked this very question. 80% said Pronger.
Was that before or after Pronger had a major injury that had people suggesting his career could be over and limited him to five games?

Old
08-02-2004, 08:45 AM
shadoz19

Quote:
You're kidding yourself if you think making your partner better is limited to Lidstrom. Chris Pronger's primary partner the season he won the Norris and Hart was Todd Rierden. Has Lidstrom EVER played with someone that weak?

Lidstrom and Pronger are 1A and 1B... it's unfortunate that people who a) are wings homers or b) dislike Pronger because of his style have to fabricate reasons like this and claims that Lidstrom plays a positional game. So does Pronger people... watch the games.
How about Frederick Olausson? The guy barely played with Anaheim. No offense Stich, but if people label me as a Wings homer, they would probably label you as a Blue homer.

Old
08-02-2004, 08:54 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
Was that before or after Pronger had a major injury that had people suggesting his career could be over and limited him to five games?
That was before... but the poster said to ignore all that kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19
How about Frederick Olausson? The guy barely played with Anaheim. No offense Stich, but if people label me as a Wings homer, they would probably label you as a Blue homer.
We could start a poll if you like....

Who is the bigger homer?
a) Stitch for saying Pronger and Lidstrom are equal
b) shadoz for saying Lidstrom is better and giving marginal reasons at best

Oh, and Olausson >>>> Todd Reirden.

Old
08-02-2004, 09:10 AM
zecke26

lidstrom is IMO the best defender the last two decades. he simply has it.

pronger on the other hand is the most overrated player of the NHL. boy, i really dislike him and all the pronger homers. he was given the norris several times although he didn't deserve it.

but isn't this a discussion that starter some years ago and will probably never end?

Old
08-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Hossa

Quote:
He said ignore contracts, age, the CBA and everything, but one can extend that to injuries, although that directly impact's a player on the ice more than age (or obviously contracts).

But even ignoring a player's propensity to get hurt, you can't ignore the fact Pronger has had a major injury and many have felt he isn't the same player now as he was before his injury. I for one have found him more tentative physically and defensively than he was before his major injury. You may disagree, but I'm defenitely not the first to feel that major injury changed Pronger in some way. Thus, your poll results and out of date and possibly no longer representative.

Old
08-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Pronger!!! best offensive defenseman..

Old
08-02-2004, 09:30 AM
shadoz19

Quote:

We could start a poll if you like....

Who is the bigger homer?
a) Stitch for saying Pronger and Lidstrom are equal
b) shadoz for saying Lidstrom is better and giving marginal reasons at best

Oh, and Olausson >>>> Todd Reirden.
It's all opinions...

Old
08-02-2004, 09:42 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
He said ignore contracts, age, the CBA and everything, but one can extend that to injuries, although that directly impact's a player on the ice more than age (or obviously contracts).

But even ignoring a player's propensity to get hurt, you can't ignore the fact Pronger has had a major injury and many have felt he isn't the same player now as he was before his injury. I for one have found him more tentative physically and defensively than he was before his major injury. You may disagree, but I'm defenitely not the first to feel that major injury changed Pronger in some way. Thus, your poll results and out of date and possibly no longer representative.
I never once said or even insinuated that the poll I brought up was the definative answer to this question. I simply pointed it out for discussion and you took it the wrong way.

That said, nobody that watched Pronger all season thinks he isn't the same player defensively and clearly the voters agree. He finished the season with a negative plus minus and still was voted as one of the best 3 defensemen in the league. Put a team around him that can actually put the puck in the net [and in turn increases his plus minus] and he walks away with the Norris.

Sorry Hossa, but your knocks on Pronger are a reach.

Last edited by degroat*: 08-02-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old
08-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Higgy4

Not all fans are homers.

That being said, I would take Lidstrom. Just slightly over Pronger. Both are in the top echelon and its like picking your poison for opposing teams. Even though I am a Wings fan, I have the utmost respect for Chris Pronger. But I still think Lidstroms 3 Norris Trophies and 5 Norris Trophy nominations in the past 6 years speak for themselves.

Someone said it earlier...Lidstrom is 1A and Pronger is 1B. Very close.

Closed Thread