HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who's better: Lidstrom or Pronger?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-02-2004, 12:24 AM
  #1
DynastyWings05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit , Michigan
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Who's better: Lidstrom or Pronger?

You're the owner of an NHL team. Both Lidstrom and Pronger are entering their prime and desperately want to play for your team. But you only have room for one of them. Forget about contracts, age, the CBA and everything else. Which player do you choose and why?

DynastyWings05 is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 12:34 AM
  #2
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,727
vCash: 500
I choose Pronger. I think he is a more dominant D and I prefer his nasty style (even though he borders on dirty too often for my liking).

They're both amazing and Lidstrom is smarter.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 12:39 AM
  #3
Shane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,974
vCash: 500
Pronger. I've always liked him better.

Shane is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 12:59 AM
  #4
myrocketsgotcracked
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
i like them equally much, honestly its hard to choose. but with pronger, hes going to be in the box for 150+mins for the season, so thats more penalties your team have to kill, and to kill them without your best Dman. so i pick lidstrom

 
Old
08-02-2004, 01:22 AM
  #5
sunb
Registered User
 
sunb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Yale University
Country: China
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
Pronger without a doubt. He is the better defenseman and has the size and talent-level of a hall-of-famer. But Lidstrom has a better mental game and focus that makes him the more experienced one at this point. Lidstrom is disciplined and calm but I'd still take Pronger and his raw ability.

sunb is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 01:36 AM
  #6
anguscertified
HFB Partner
 
anguscertified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,019
vCash: 500
I hate him, but its pronger
He carried the Blues on his back last year after jackman and mcinnis when down, he is a dirty player, but can do it all.

anguscertified is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 01:44 AM
  #7
shveik
Registered User
 
shveik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,844
vCash: 500
Lidstrom, no doubt.

Pronger's stickwork gives him an advantage in a regular season, but in the playoffs players are much more willing to pay the price and his effectiveness diminishes (never mind that due to higher quality referees his time in the box goes up). Of course, he could still learn to play defense without relying on the stickwork to scare people, and learn to control his frustration. Then his nastiness would be a bonus, and we can come back to this discussion.

shveik is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 01:48 AM
  #8
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun
 
Cynical TyranT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TX
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 4,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
I agree with shveik.

Lidstrom. Lidstrom isnt always broken, or in the box, wins games with the slappers and A's... he's the measuring stick for all other defensemen.

Cynical TyranT is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 06:40 AM
  #9
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,673
vCash: 500
I like pronger more so i'm gonna say him. But lidstrom is also amazing and plays a smarter game.

eddy is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 06:49 AM
  #10
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
Lidström plays defence with his instincts (positional game) and not so much with his buddy and still contends for the Norris.

Safir* is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 07:04 AM
  #11
shadoz19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Lidstrom. He's just that good. He doesn't take many penanties because he doesn't have to. When it comes to his defensive partners, he makes them look 10x better than what they are. That includes Schneider.

shadoz19 is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 07:44 AM
  #12
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKarateMonkey
i like them equally much, honestly its hard to choose. but with pronger, hes going to be in the box for 150+mins for the season, so thats more penalties your team have to kill, and to kill them without your best Dman. so i pick lidstrom
Chris Pronger hasn't been in the box for 150+ minutes since the 97-98 season and has only done so ONCE in his entire career. This past season, he finished with 88 PIM's. Not quite 150, is it?

degroat* is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 07:47 AM
  #13
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19
Lidstrom. He's just that good. He doesn't take many penanties because he doesn't have to. When it comes to his defensive partners, he makes them look 10x better than what they are. That includes Schneider.
You're kidding yourself if you think making your partner better is limited to Lidstrom. Chris Pronger's primary partner the season he won the Norris and Hart was Todd Rierden. Has Lidstrom EVER played with someone that weak?

Lidstrom and Pronger are 1A and 1B... it's unfortunate that people who a) are wings homers or b) dislike Pronger because of his style have to fabricate reasons like this and claims that Lidstrom plays a positional game. So does Pronger people... watch the games.

degroat* is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 07:48 AM
  #14
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
BTW... a few seasons ago GM's were polled and asked this very question. 80% said Pronger.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY


Last edited by degroat*: 08-03-2004 at 04:02 PM.
degroat* is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 08:03 AM
  #15
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,250
vCash: 500
Pronger.

triggrman is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 08:07 AM
  #16
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,420
vCash: 500
I like Lidstrom's style of play, but feel that Pronger brings more to the table. He's just as skilled, and has the size and willingness to beat people to a pulp Lidstrom doesn't possess.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 08:24 AM
  #17
Hossa
Registered User
 
Hossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Abroad
Posts: 9,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
BTW... a few seasons ago GM's were polled and asked this very question. 80% said Pronger.
Was that before or after Pronger had a major injury that had people suggesting his career could be over and limited him to five games?

Hossa is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 08:45 AM
  #18
shadoz19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
You're kidding yourself if you think making your partner better is limited to Lidstrom. Chris Pronger's primary partner the season he won the Norris and Hart was Todd Rierden. Has Lidstrom EVER played with someone that weak?

Lidstrom and Pronger are 1A and 1B... it's unfortunate that people who a) are wings homers or b) dislike Pronger because of his style have to fabricate reasons like this and claims that Lidstrom plays a positional game. So does Pronger people... watch the games.
How about Frederick Olausson? The guy barely played with Anaheim. No offense Stich, but if people label me as a Wings homer, they would probably label you as a Blue homer.

shadoz19 is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 08:54 AM
  #19
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
Was that before or after Pronger had a major injury that had people suggesting his career could be over and limited him to five games?
That was before... but the poster said to ignore all that kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19
How about Frederick Olausson? The guy barely played with Anaheim. No offense Stich, but if people label me as a Wings homer, they would probably label you as a Blue homer.
We could start a poll if you like....

Who is the bigger homer?
a) Stitch for saying Pronger and Lidstrom are equal
b) shadoz for saying Lidstrom is better and giving marginal reasons at best

Oh, and Olausson >>>> Todd Reirden.

degroat* is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 09:10 AM
  #20
zecke26
Registered User
 
zecke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 10,254
vCash: 500
lidstrom is IMO the best defender the last two decades. he simply has it.

pronger on the other hand is the most overrated player of the NHL. boy, i really dislike him and all the pronger homers. he was given the norris several times although he didn't deserve it.

but isn't this a discussion that starter some years ago and will probably never end?

zecke26 is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 09:25 AM
  #21
Hossa
Registered User
 
Hossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Abroad
Posts: 9,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
That was before... but the poster said to ignore all that kind of stuff.
He said ignore contracts, age, the CBA and everything, but one can extend that to injuries, although that directly impact's a player on the ice more than age (or obviously contracts).

But even ignoring a player's propensity to get hurt, you can't ignore the fact Pronger has had a major injury and many have felt he isn't the same player now as he was before his injury. I for one have found him more tentative physically and defensively than he was before his major injury. You may disagree, but I'm defenitely not the first to feel that major injury changed Pronger in some way. Thus, your poll results and out of date and possibly no longer representative.

Hossa is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 09:26 AM
  #22
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 15,536
vCash: 500
Pronger!!! best offensive defenseman..

Colorado Avalanche is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 09:30 AM
  #23
shadoz19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
That was before... but the poster said to ignore all that kind of stuff.



We could start a poll if you like....

Who is the bigger homer?
a) Stitch for saying Pronger and Lidstrom are equal
b) shadoz for saying Lidstrom is better and giving marginal reasons at best

Oh, and Olausson >>>> Todd Reirden.
It's all opinions...

shadoz19 is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 09:42 AM
  #24
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
He said ignore contracts, age, the CBA and everything, but one can extend that to injuries, although that directly impact's a player on the ice more than age (or obviously contracts).

But even ignoring a player's propensity to get hurt, you can't ignore the fact Pronger has had a major injury and many have felt he isn't the same player now as he was before his injury. I for one have found him more tentative physically and defensively than he was before his major injury. You may disagree, but I'm defenitely not the first to feel that major injury changed Pronger in some way. Thus, your poll results and out of date and possibly no longer representative.
I never once said or even insinuated that the poll I brought up was the definative answer to this question. I simply pointed it out for discussion and you took it the wrong way.

That said, nobody that watched Pronger all season thinks he isn't the same player defensively and clearly the voters agree. He finished the season with a negative plus minus and still was voted as one of the best 3 defensemen in the league. Put a team around him that can actually put the puck in the net [and in turn increases his plus minus] and he walks away with the Norris.

Sorry Hossa, but your knocks on Pronger are a reach.


Last edited by degroat*: 08-02-2004 at 09:47 AM.
degroat* is offline  
Old
08-02-2004, 09:43 AM
  #25
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Not all fans are homers.

That being said, I would take Lidstrom. Just slightly over Pronger. Both are in the top echelon and its like picking your poison for opposing teams. Even though I am a Wings fan, I have the utmost respect for Chris Pronger. But I still think Lidstroms 3 Norris Trophies and 5 Norris Trophy nominations in the past 6 years speak for themselves.

Someone said it earlier...Lidstrom is 1A and Pronger is 1B. Very close.

Higgy4 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.