HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who Had The More Dangerous Slap Shot: Chara Or MacInnis?

Old
07-17-2011, 04:45 AM
MS

vCash: 500
This is like asking 'Who was a more dangerous passer, Wayne Gretzky or Joe Juneau?'

Chara has a very hard shot. MacInnis had the best point shot in NHL history.

MacInnis' shot was hard, it was accurate, he could get it away in a hurry, and he could find space on the ice to get it off even when entire PK units were shaded toward preventing it.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
MacInni AINEC and I agree that better comparision to him is Weber.
My answer to Chara vs Iafrate question is Chara.
Yes and Weber has a ways to go to catch Big Al. The strong hockey fan recognizes how revered his shot is in the NHL. But the casual one doesn't yet. Even the casual fan knew MacInnis' shot was deadly. If Weber can maintain that great shot over the course of 20 years then it will make a good debate.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
This is like asking 'Who was a more dangerous passer, Wayne Gretzky or Joe Juneau?'

Chara has a very hard shot. MacInnis had the best point shot in NHL history.

MacInnis' shot was hard, it was accurate, he could get it away in a hurry, and he could find space on the ice to get it off even when entire PK units were shaded toward preventing it.
Not sure I would go that far. Bourque had a hell of a point shot as well. Obviously not quite as hard as Al's but if accuracy, unloading quickly and getting it through traffic are factors then yeah, imo, it's pretty close which had the best point shot.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:51 PM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Not sure I would go that far. Bourque had a hell of a point shot as well. Obviously not quite as hard as Al's but if accuracy, unloading quickly and getting it through traffic are factors then yeah, imo, it's pretty close which had the best point shot.
upthread, i mentioned bourque as macinnis' only rival among guys that i've seen (80s to the present).

but i think you have to give macinnis the edge. it's not huge, but i don't think it's really debatable either. the advantage bourque had was his ridiculous ability to always hold the zone. i have never seen another guy where there is no way you're clearing the zone on the PK when he's on the point.

but macinnis, who was also great at holding the zone, who was as calm as bourque, as patient as bourque, had the fear factor. you had to respect his shot more because he was just such a threat to beat the goalie clean if you gave him a clear path. that gave suter, gilmour, loob, fleury, mullen, nieuwendyk, roberts, and everyone else more room to operate. you obviously were always aware of bourque on the point, but if you gave him a clear look, that means your goalie also has a clear look and that's probably a save. with macinnis, that's probably a goal.

on the other hand, bourque was that good almost his entire career. i don't think you could put macinnis in that league until around '88. before that, it was guys like reinhardt and nilsson's skills buying big mac the time to get his canon off.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
upthread, i mentioned bourque as macinnis' only rival among guys that i've seen (80s to the present).

but i think you have to give macinnis the edge. it's not huge, but i don't think it's really debatable either. the advantage bourque had was his ridiculous ability to always hold the zone. i have never seen another guy where there is no way you're clearing the zone on the PK when he's on the point.

but macinnis, who was also great at holding the zone, who was as calm as bourque, as patient as bourque, had the fear factor. you had to respect his shot more because he was just such a threat to beat the goalie clean if you gave him a clear path. that gave suter, gilmour, loob, fleury, mullen, nieuwendyk, roberts, and everyone else more room to operate. you obviously were always aware of bourque on the point, but if you gave him a clear look, that means your goalie also has a clear look and that's probably a save. with macinnis, that's probably a goal.

on the other hand, bourque was that good almost his entire career. i don't think you could put macinnis in that league until around '88. before that, it was guys like reinhardt and nilsson's skills buying big mac the time to get his canon off.
Oh agreed, on pure shot, Big Mac was prolly the best. If I had a choice though on who I would rather have running my PP, it would be Bourque, no question.

Just to throw this out there and even though I'm not a big fan of his, Larry Murphy was one of the best I ever saw at holding the zone.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:09 AM
avs1986

I would give the edge to MacInnis simply for using the lumber.

avs1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Unaffiliated

The only possible way you can answer with Chara is if the thread title is taken literally.

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:41 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
The only possible way you can answer with Chara is if the thread title is taken literally.

True. I gotta go with MacInnis.

I think his shot could have been even harder (in miles per hour) with a composite but if I recall correctly he stuck with wood because he felt it was better for accuracy and receiving passes? Can't remember for sure..

In any case, I don't think many goalies have ever encountered a heavier shot than Al MacInnis'.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:01 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

It's MacInnis, and it's not even close.
Chara has a great shot in practice, but during a game, when under pressure, he has a slightly harder time finding the space he needs to get it off: a 104mph shot in a skills competition becomes a 90mph shot during a game.

MacInnis's most impressive skill was his ability to get that 100mph shot off ANYWHERE on the ice. Either standing still on the point, or streaking in on the sideboards... he could get the shot off quickly and, most importantly, ACCURATELY.

Or, to be brief:
"Yo Chara, I'm really happy for you. Imma let you finish, but MacInnis has the best slapshot of all time. Of all time!"

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:11 PM
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris

it makes me happy that this is one of the few threads comparing a retired player to a current one where no one has mentioned how players today are bigger, stronger, faster, etc.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:13 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Big Al

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Franck
En enda känsla...

vCash: 50
Came across this Youtube clip today, it really highlights just how deadly MacInnis slapshot was:

The goal he scores from centre ice is just ridiculous.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 10:51 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

MacInnis for sure.

The dude put a puck through the boards.

Last edited by gifted88: 08-02-2011 at 12:35 PM.
gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 12:31 PM
KingGallagherXI

The most literally dangerous is probably Chara, the best shot was MacInnis.

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 01:35 PM
habsjunkie2*

MacInnis was universally recognized for his outstanding shot. He without doubt has the best point shot in NHL history imo.

It's hard to argue that Chara even has the best point shot in the game today, forget about putting him against the best point shot in NHL history. It's not even close, I love Bourque too, but as far as point shots go, there is no comparison, MacInnis wins in a walk.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Reds4Life

MacInnis easily. Chara is mediocre PPQ.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:05 PM
digdug41982

MacInnis

Others have pointed out why, quick motion, powerful, on frame, struck fear into opposing players, etc.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 04:07 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
The most literally dangerous is probably Chara, the best shot was MacInnis.
A lot of players feared blocking or being in the way of MacInnis shot. You don't see that with Chara or anyone else these days.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:05 PM
DanZ

IMO Lidstrom's slapshot is more dangerous than Chara's. Faster doesn't mean better. Lidstrom's is deadly accurate and perfect for deflections for Mr. Holmstrom in front of the net. Chara's shot can be pretty inaccurate.

In answer to the thread: MacInnins.

DanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 05:51 PM
SaintMorose

vCash: 142
I don't think Chara would be the right answer over Weber / Lidstrom

Let alone MacInnis

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 08:34 PM
tjcurrie

At the risk of sounding redundant, Macinnis.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
id go with McInnis. is there a stat for most slapshot goals. if I had to venture a guess I`d go with none other than Number 99 himself. Gretz had a very underated slapper. Probably the best ever in terms of total goals among forwards. Possibly one of the Hulls (or both) but 99 is definitely up there.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Came across this Youtube clip today, it really highlights just how deadly MacInnis slapshot was:

The goal he scores from centre ice is just ridiculous.
And that video doesn't even do him justice. He had all the time in the world on all of these shots.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Ace0813
Bleed Black & Gold

Send a message via AIM to Ace0813
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
I don't think Chara would be the right answer over Weber / Lidstrom

Let alone MacInnis
Chara's shot >>>> Lidstroms.

Lidstrom has more hockey IQ however.

Ace0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2011, 10:32 AM
KingGallagherXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBruin91 View Post
Chara's shot >>>> Lidstroms.
I'm not so sure about that. Chara has more power, but in a game environnement, Lidstrom was very good at taking the perfect shot through traffic.

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote