HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mathieu Carle traded to Ducks for Mark Mitera

Old
07-16-2011, 03:04 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
wow, reading that report on Carle makes all his injury "bad luck" seem a lot more understandable... not only does not being in top physical condition make your far more susceptible to injury, it also means longer recovery times, and if he wasn't dedicated to training when healthy, he probably wasn't very dedicated to his rehab either.

i'm surprised the habs picked him as high as they did with those kinds of reports swirling around, and I wonder how much of a factor it's been on their more recent drafts (putting a premium on players committed/dedicated to being true "professionals"...)

on the flip side, the exact opposite qualities used to describe Mitera make me that much more optimistic that he'll put it all together with us and turn into a useful player at some point down the road.

could Mitera be another Gorges? i sure hope so!
Even with Beaulieu and Tinordi added to the fold behind Markov and Yemelin (with Gill and Spacek near the end of their rope), I'm more confident in Mitera getting some games in behind them than I was in Carle eventually getting some games in behind Subban, Gorges, Weber, Diaz, and/or Nygren. Not that I think Mitera would/could/should make it while Carle would/could/should not... it's all relative.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 03:32 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
I don't like these kind of moves, the trading for the sake of trading. Second in the past few weeks. Gauthier seems to collect other teams problems. At least, keep your assets and trade for a good NHL player or get some picks in return instead of AHL players that are behind in development. The team keeps collecting these former high round picks that go nowhere. I am not too high on Mitera nor Blunden. Pouliot was a good fighter at least. He obliterated Krejci with one punch. He also scored some 15 goals. I am not sure the Blundens and Miteras of this world will give you any offense nor are they capable of winning fights or fighting for that matter.
To me these recent trades, Russell for Blunden and Carle for Mitera, have a purpose. To make the team bigger and physical. Especially put signing Cole & Emelin and letting Pyatt go in favor of White into that perspective.

You dont like to see the team trade for "rental" players rather than just hoarding prospects and picks?

Besides the obvious needs, another view to that is it makes Habs look more committed to win. Competetive team that makes postseason runs consistently makes it easier to attract free agents. I bet Cole (for instance) wouldnt have come here if he didnt see that.

Assetswise the biggest losses without return were Hamrlik and Halpern. IMO Cole will balance out in value for Hamrlik and its still possible to replace Halpern from the market - or internally.

Btw. I'm pretty sure any of our additions above could take out Krejci just like Pouliot - and Kostitsyn will give you those 15 goals on the 3rd line.

Last edited by Marksman: 07-16-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:06 AM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
Some 2006 scouting reports from RLR:

I love to read Red Line Report though I take it with a grain of salt. He was a guy who thought Andrei Kostitsyn was most talented player in the 2003 draft and noted how courageous and determined he is. He also had a huge crush on Ryan McDonagh in 2007 IIRC.

source url: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...fensemen_x.htm
Here's the quote I believe you're looking for:

Duneeden Iowa: Kyle, If you had to choose one player from the 2003 draft to build a team around who would it be? Why? Thanks in advance.

Kyle Woodlief: If I were the GM of an NHL team and I was absolutely and thoroughly convinced that Andrei Kostitsyn's medical condition (epilepsy) was permanently under control through medication, he would be my choice. For me, the way he plays the game is just full of intensity and desire. It's one thing to have skills (and Kostitsyn has an excellent skill level), but when you combine that with some real fire and commitment, then you have, in my opinion, the best real gamebreaker in the draft.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:41 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
He went through waivers last year and nobody picked Carle up. Many teams are stuck with this situation every training camp. Many teams are forced to put players like Carle on waivers because of the collective bargaining rules. The risk of losing him was small. Most of the players don't get claimed by any other teams in fear. There is mutual respect between teams just like when it comes to RFAs.
So we should just assume even though a team clearly was willing to trade an asset for him just now that he somehow still wouldn't have been picked up?

Teams pick up fringe NHL D all the time and this year that's exactly what Carle will be. He needs to go to a team that will give him a full chance.

PS: Mark my words if we ever let Andrei Kostitsyn walk to a potent offensive team we will regret the day we do. He's capable of 80pts just no consistently and he needs the right line mates and ice time. Remember our team hasn't been stellar offensively since Kostitsyn came into his prime either eh.

Last edited by neofury*: 07-16-2011 at 05:55 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
So we should just assume even though a team clearly was willing to trade an asset for him just now that he somehow still wouldn't have been picked up?

Teams pick up fringe NHL D all the time and this year that's exactly what Carle will be. He needs to go to a team that will give him a full chance.

PS: Mark my words if we ever let Andrei Kostitsyn walk to a potent offensive team we will regret the day we do. He's capable of 80pts just no consistently and he needs the right line mates and ice time. Remember our team hasn't been stellar offensively since Kostitsyn came into his prime either eh.
Also, there's one thing to remember about the waivers system. When you pick a guy on waivers, you have to keep him in your NHL line-up or he'll go on waivers again. In the case of Mathieu Carle, he would have stick with the big club for a good chunk of the training camp. Then, the team picking him up on waivers would have a limited viewing of what he can do on their team. Keeping him up would then be some kind of a risk.

Now, the Ducks will be able to work with him and have a good read on Carle's NHL potential. If they send him down, it will be for a reason. If he clears waivers, they'll have a D to replace Mitera on their farm team.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:14 AM
tiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
I still remember when we traded for Jay Leach, the devils AHL player that came and played for a little bit here 2 years ago. We called Carle up for 3 games, he did totally fine imo, and then we replaced him by a trade to an AHL player from the DEVILS!

I was like, wtf happened there? He might really have been 'black balled' by the organization, it's a bit what I thought at the time anyway.
Leach outplayed him that time. Leach also brought a different game.

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:16 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Pretty sure his family are 'big' in the Gatineau/Buckingham area...I believe his dad owns a successful car dealership fairly close to where I live.

He was obviously 'black balled' by the Habs organization...no other reason to explain why he hasn't got a shot other than a short 3 game stint 2 years ago
Didn't earned it imo and bashing the team you could play for never helps either. He was hurt in key time for his development and for key opportunity.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:19 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
I still remember when we traded for Jay Leach, the devils AHL player that came and played for a little bit here 2 years ago. We called Carle up for 3 games, he did totally fine imo, and then we replaced him by a trade to an AHL player from the DEVILS!
Actually, we picked Jay Leach up off re-entry waivers. We did not trade anyone for him.

We lost him because we had to re-expose him to waivers when we wanted to send him down. San Jose grabbed him and he played most of the rest of the season on the ice.

I would take Leach again as an 8th D. He's big and relatively mistake-free for a guy that low on the depth chart.

Or we could re-sign Paul Mara if he truly does like it here. That's a guy loved by his teammates and he has their back.

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
To me these recent trades, Russell for Blunden and Carle for Mitera, have a purpose. To make the team bigger and physical. Especially put signing Cole & Emelin and letting Pyatt go in favor of White into that perspective.

You dont like to see the team trade for "rental" players rather than just hoarding prospects and picks?

Besides the obvious needs, another view to that is it makes Habs look more committed to win. Competetive team that makes postseason runs consistently makes it easier to attract free agents. I bet Cole (for instance) wouldnt have come here if he didnt see that.

Assetswise the biggest losses without return were Hamrlik and Halpern. IMO Cole will balance out in value for Hamrlik and its still possible to replace Halpern from the market - or internally.

Btw. I'm pretty sure any of our additions above could take out Krejci just like Pouliot - and Kostitsyn will give you those 15 goals on the 3rd line.

Agreed. Gauthier is making sure that we have some beef in the organization. Both Russel & Carle are dent prospects but they will have a much better chance on other teams. Blunden & Mitera are the types of depth we are lacking.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Carle wasn't given a chance since he wasn't very good. It had nothing to do with the language he spoke, or any personal vendetta.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 11:14 AM
DAChampion

I wonder if he would have been any good without all the injuries.

Oh well, too bad.

2006 NHL entry draft:
#20, David Fischer
#49, Ben Maxwell
#53, Mathieu Carle
#66, Ryan White
#139, Pavel Valentenko
#199, Cameron Cepek

AFAIK, that's Timmins' worst performance.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 11:23 AM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Oh well, too bad.

2006 NHL entry draft:
#20, David Fischer = "traded" for a second round pick that landed Wiz
#49, Ben Maxwell = traded for Sopel
#53, Mathieu Carle = traded for Mitera
#66, Ryan White = will be a NHL body next year
#139, Pavel Valentenko = traded in the Gomez deal
#199, Cameron Cepek = wasn't able to get an NHL contract

In this draft the selections were used as chips in trades, so there was some return, but I agree that it's Timmins' worst draft.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:08 PM
ruski17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Player View Post
In this draft the selections were used as chips in trades, so there was some return, but I agree that it's Timmins' worst draft.
It still wasn't THAT bad. Fischer busted, but his mom died and that affected his mental aspect enough to bust him IMO. Maxwell looked promissing until his stint with the habs so he was still a decent pick withoutout hindsight. Carle was also promising, but after getting Weber and Subban, he started to get redundant and was traded for another prospect. White will be awesome for us as he brings a physical dimension and Valentenko was tired of the AHL so he went to play in Russia, but now there is a strong chance he will play for the Rangers, but that's Gaineys mistake. And Cepek was 7th rounder, not a huge dissapointment nothing happened with him.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:06 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
It still wasn't THAT bad. Fischer busted, but his mom died and that affected his mental aspect enough to bust him IMO. Maxwell looked promissing until his stint with the habs so he was still a decent pick withoutout hindsight. Carle was also promising, but after getting Weber and Subban, he started to get redundant and was traded for another prospect. White will be awesome for us as he brings a physical dimension and Valentenko was tired of the AHL so he went to play in Russia, but now there is a strong chance he will play for the Rangers, but that's Gaineys mistake. And Cepek was 7th rounder, not a huge dissapointment nothing happened with him.
Whatever the reasons, still this draft will produce no decent nhlers, except maybe Valentenko.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Didn't Carle have that Yappy Dad who went to the Press? Probably better he's not a Hab. The last thing we need is parents thinking their kids are the best.

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:13 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Didn't Carle have that Yappy Dad who went to the Press? Probably better he's not a Hab. The last thing we need is parents thinking their kids are the best.
My dad is stronger than your dad.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Whatever the reasons, still this draft will produce no decent nhlers, except maybe Valentenko.
Whitey?

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:16 PM
habamillions

i like this move habs have enough offensive guys that wont make the nhl so better take a chance on a guy that plays defensively. even though he may never make it either

habamillions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
My dad is stronger than your dad.
Fate was sealed in a Metro Centre that day. Montreal is the Boss! Not over Zealous dads, for sure! All that aside the Habs got a guy back that's interesting!

Player 61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
A decent NHL'er is one that excels at his role, whether it's a goal scorer or a grinder.

Ryan White is well on his way to becoming a "decent NHL'er".

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 04:55 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
A decent NHL'er is one that excels at his role, whether it's a goal scorer or a grinder.

Ryan White is well on his way to becoming a "decent NHL'er".
And yet, he's totally expendable.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
And yet, he's totally expendable.
A lot of "decent NHL'ers" are expendable.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:15 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Oh well, too bad.

2006 NHL entry draft:
#20, David Fischer
#49, Ben Maxwell

#53, Mathieu Carle
#66, Ryan White
#139, Pavel Valentenko
#199, Cameron Cepek

Just replace these two busts by Giroux and Lucic, and we have a contender.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:39 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Just replace these two busts by Giroux and Lucic, and we have a contender.
Pretty I can do this with ANY team you want me to do it. Name me a team, and I'll tell you which player is better now.

If you're so good, why aren't you working for the Habs scouting department?

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:41 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
A lot of "decent NHL'ers" are expendable.
I think the point is that guys like White can be obtained off the UFA market for $500,000-$1,000,000; as such if someone projects to be that kind of players there's no need to make that kind of pick.

I prefer high-risk, high-reward type picks in the later rounds, like Maxim Trunev, Sergei Kostitsyn, Alexander Avtsyn, etc.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote