HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mathieu Carle traded to Ducks for Mark Mitera

Old
07-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Some Habs fans are too a*-retentive in their poignant regret at seeing less-than-brilliant talent depart.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Some Habs fans are too a*-retentive in their poignant regret at seeing less-than-brilliant talent depart.
Lets see if he makes Anaheim's roster before we start thinking we let the next Bobby Orr go.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
You have to understand. Wouldn't be the first time it would happen. Though while it's possible that Carle gets it, my love for the Wolverines thinks that so will Mitera. At least, the Habs are pretty good at satisfying one of my true loves. One of which is the Q.....and the other is Michigan.

Let's go PG....you have to get Kevin Porter and Chad Kolarik now....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I think the point is that guys like White can be obtained off the UFA market for $500,000-$1,000,000; as such if someone projects to be that kind of players there's no need to make that kind of pick.

I prefer high-risk, high-reward type picks in the later rounds, like Maxim Trunev, Sergei Kostitsyn, Alexander Avtsyn, etc.
Agreed.........there is no point in drafting bottom line role players as they are a dime a dozen.

The draft should be used to obtain "difference makers" who can remain under team control while earning reasonable salaries .

This is how contenders are built in the salary cap era.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Agreed.........there is no point in drafting bottom line role players as they are a dime a dozen.

The draft should be used to obtain "difference makers" who can remain under team control while earning reasonable salaries .

This is how contenders are built in the salary cap era.
It's one guy & not like it's a trend & he actually helps, sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers & draft personality/spirit!

Old
07-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
To be honest this makes perfect sense for Mark Mitera future. I dont necessarily think he will ever live up the potential he once showed. However, knowing guys in the organization such as Palushaj and Pacioretty, it could make a world of difference. This is a kid who captained his university team, one of the best, the Michigan Wolverines. Having an injury like that and coming back is a testament to his work ethic. I am quite fond of Randy Cunneyworth as he seems to be able to communicate with players well. Mitera will be surrounded by some good veterans and will definately have something to prove. The acquisition of Diaz sealed Carles fate.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:39 PM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
This move gives us the freedom to call Mitera up without subjecting him to waivers, no?

That alone makes this trade a benefit to the Habs. Carle can be a servicable player, but not if you risk losing him to waivers everytime you call upon his services. At this point, he's not good enough to be in our top 6 and too young to waste time in the pressbox.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:41 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
The acquisition of Diaz sealed Carles fate.
More likely, Carle's fate was sealed, therefore the team went looking for a guy like Diaz.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
More likely, Carle's fate was sealed, therefore the team went looking for a guy like Diaz.
Exactly!

Old
07-16-2011, 06:49 PM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
No. More likely they saw a guy at the World Championships they liked and saw potential in. I am almost a hundred percent certain they didn't say, "let's find someone to replace Carle, bwahahaha, who's that hugging Bieber? Diaz! That's it!"

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:13 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
A decent NHL'er is one that excels at his role, whether it's a goal scorer or a grinder.

Ryan White is well on his way to becoming a "decent NHL'er".
That's just my personal opinion, but I don't see in White any particular assets that would make him more than a below average fourth liner. He'll make the team this year mostly because we don't have much depth on offense, and no one else that can do the job (grinding, fighting) he's somewhat good at.

Harsh for sure, and the kid's great work ethic might in the end make him a valuable player, but I doubt it.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:23 PM
McTusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
That's just my personal opinion, but I don't see in White any particular assets that would make him more than a below average fourth liner. He'll make the team this year mostly because we don't have much depth on offense, and no one else that can do the job (grinding, fighting) he's somewhat good at.

Harsh for sure, and the kid's great work ethic might in the end make him a valuable player, but I doubt it.
I get what you're saying but on the flipside he was seen as having possible Brendan Morrow upside during his draft year, I also think he was in the Hockey News' top 30 that draft year. He fell through the rounds and at the point there was nothing to lose and lots to gain in taking a gamble on him in the 3rd round.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 07:36 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
I think that the idea is not the deal for Carle itself...but the already famous "Did he get a fair chance". Possibly that faith played a role in this, his serious injuries affected his stay with us. His play was not exactly always stellar also. But it is possible that he should have gotten more that he received towards the end of his stint with us.

But from a guy who constantly mentions how most kids did NOT get a fair chance, I can again tell you that in his case, he CLEARLY didn't deserve it at the start of his stay.

Article on Mitera in 2010. Mitera needs better conditioning and a better shape. Once that's done....you never know. And let's not forget about his torn MCL he suffered....a setback in his development.

http://articles.ocregister.com/2010-...itioning-coach

Last edited by Habsfan18: 07-16-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: merged
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 08:56 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:

Ryan White has more offensive potential than a lot of people give him credit for. His PPG pretty much improves in every season of every level he has played in, with the exception of his last junior year.

Has a pretty good snap shot, and is an under rated passer. Knows where to go for open space, and also wins battles on the boards.

I see no reason he can't have somewhat similar point totals as Lapierre at some point in the NHL.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:03 PM
ruski17

Quote:

Well, any team that wins needs those types of players. They, in the end win you the cup. Look at the Moen/Pahlson/Niedermeyer line for Anaheim a while back, or Talbot for Pittburgh, Marchand for Boston...

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

We have Subban and Weber on the team and Diaz who has a chance to make the team who are all right handed offensive minded defenseman, Carle had no future with the team and had to clear waivers and we got a guy who is something we lack (defensive defenseman) and doesn't have to clear waivers, good trade by PG.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think that the idea is not the deal for Carle itself...but the already famous "Did he get a fair chance". Possibly that faith played a role in this, his serious injuries affected his stay with us. His play was not exactly always stellar also. But it is possible that he should have gotten more that he received towards the end of his stint with us.

But from a guy who constantly mentions how most kids did NOT get a fair chance, I can again tell you that in his case, he CLEARLY didn't deserve it at the start of his stay.

Article on Mitera in 2010. Mitera needs better conditioning and a better shape. Once that's done....you never know. And let's not forget about his torn MCL he suffered....a setback in his development.

I would have liked to have seen Carle get a good 10 matchs in the NHL at least. How can management evaluate a guy when you don't know what he's a capable of doing?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 09:58 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Both the Russell for Blunden trade, and the Carle for Mitera trade were really savvy, as PG gave up guys that won't have a role on this team going forward, for guys who fill organizational needs....

Both Blunden and Mitera possess size and toughness, neither are great fighters, but overall they help in our size and toughness deficiencies....

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:01 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Funny thing about that article, only one of the mentioned players in Mikkelson, Sbisa, Gardiner, Festerling and Mitera are still with the Ducks. Sbisa is that player. All were 1st rounders in Sbisa (Flyers), Mitera and Gardiner by the Ducks and Mikkelson a 2nd rounder. I believe Festerling was a FA signing.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:51 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Ryan White has more offensive potential than a lot of people give him credit for. His PPG pretty much improves in every season of every level he has played in, with the exception of his last junior year.

Has a pretty good snap shot, and is an under rated passer. Knows where to go for open space, and also wins battles on the boards.

I see no reason he can't have somewhat similar point totals as Lapierre at some point in the NHL.
I'd like to see a line like this:

Pacioretty - Desharnais -White

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:53 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I would have liked to have seen Carle get a good 10 matchs in the NHL at least. How can management evaluate a guy when you don't know what he's a capable of doing?
Me too.

The guy was an all-star in the AHL. Give him at least a try for godsake.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post

The NHL is not a static universe. You're assuming that the Habs can't find anyone better in the next year or two, in which case he'd exit just like the others. While he's here I hope he becomes better.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:04 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Me too.

An all-star, seriously?

Old
07-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Me too.

So was Corey Locke and he got as much of a look as Carle.

For the record, I was part of the camp that wanted Carle called up before Weber. Obviously I was wrong in my assessment.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:07 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
The NHL is not a static universe. You're assuming that the Habs can't find anyone better in the next year or two, in which case he'd exit just like the others. While he's here I hope he becomes better.
This doesn´t really make much sense to me. I was trying to portray that he does indeed improve his play in each level.