HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mathieu Carle traded to Ducks for Mark Mitera

Old
07-17-2011, 01:07 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
An all-star, seriously?
Just check the AHL site.

He played for Canada in the last AHL all-star Game in january.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Prendan Brust

This thread reminds
me of the uprising that was caused by the desjardins-ramo trade.

Some habs fan really need to relax. This is a very minor trade.

As for those who say Carle didn't have a fair chance: Do you really believe habs brass didn't take the time to evaluate him while he was playing in hamilton?

Prendan Brust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Pretty sure his family are 'big' in the Gatineau/Buckingham area...I believe his dad owns a successful car dealership fairly close to where I live.

He was obviously 'black balled' by the Habs organization...no other reason to explain why he hasn't got a shot other than a short 3 game stint 2 years ago
Yeah that must be it. The fact that he got injured every season and has a bum shoulder that is always popping out, and that the Habs had 7 or 8 NHL-calibre defencemen ahead of him on the depth chart the past three seasons had nothing to do with it.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:50 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
An all-star, seriously?
He was an injury replacement to the All Star game this year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:56 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Just check the AHL site.

He played for Canada in the last AHL all-star Game in january.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He was an injury replacement to the All Star game this year.
When I hear something along the lines of `he was an all-star in the AHL` I assume they are saying the guy dominated and teared up the league. Couture, or Gerbe, or Subban, those are recent all-star AHL players. Who really cares whether he was an injury replacement, in an all-star game.

Was he ever even the bonafide best defensemen on Hamilton during his career there?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:05 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
When I hear something along the lines of `he was an all-star in the AHL` I assume they are saying the guy dominated and teared up the league. Couture, or Gerbe, or Subban, those are recent all-star AHL players. Who really cares whether he was an injury replacement, in an all-star game.

Was he ever even the bonafide best defensemen on Hamilton during his career there?
He was on the top pairing on one of the best teams in the AHL, after Weber was called up. He had a good year, the Dogs D had a strong year offensively. Klubertanz, Nash and Carle all put up decent numbers. St-Denis wasn't far behind Carle in terms of production while being better in his own end imo. But Carle had the most goals among the defensemen which likely got him picked as a replacement, cause Nash or Klubertanz could have been picked in his spot as all 3 were having good years (Klubertanz picked it up in the 2nd half)

Carle when healthy was a solid defensemen the entire time he was in Hamilton, not dominate but could be counted on to put up decent numbers and do a good job overall. He also had a solid playoff run this season.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:14 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
He was on the top pairing on one of the best teams in the AHL, after Weber was called up. He had a good year, the Dogs D had a strong year offensively. Klubertanz, Nash and Carle all put up decent numbers. St-Denis wasn't far behind Carle in terms of production while being better in his own end imo. But Carle had the most goals among the defensemen which likely got him picked as a replacement, cause Nash or Klubertanz could have been picked in his spot as all 3 were having good years (Klubertanz picked it up in the 2nd half)

Carle when healthy was a solid defensemen the entire time he was in Hamilton, not dominate but could be counted on to put up decent numbers and do a good job overall. He also had a solid playoff run this season.
I am not doubting he is a decent player, not at all. I just don´t agree with the mentality that he wasn´t given a fair shake, or that he should have been given a longer try out with the Habs. He got called up at one point, was plagued with injuries, and Weber and Subban surpassed him quite easily in the depth chart. And I wouldn´t be surprised to see Nash become just as good or better than him next season.

There are countless players like this, if you can´t play to your potential and become the number 1 guy on the depth chart, then you simply aren´t going to give yourself a good chance to make an NHL club. Carle just didn´t prove he had what it took to become that guy, and this is evidenced by the fact that Weber and Subban passed him in the depth chart with relative ease.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Grant McCagg

I asked TT a couple of months ago which AHL dmen he thought had the best chance to be NHLers. He mentioned Nash and St. Denis before mentioning Carle. I asked him why, and he said his shoulders was always popping out...too injury prone.

Add in the likes of Diaz and Weber... and Carle was likely about tenth on the depth chart heading into this season, not to mention eligible for waivers. Getting him for a former first rounder who is only 23, is bigger, more physical and not eligible for waivers...I'd say that is smart asset management.

Last edited by Grant McCagg: 07-17-2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old
07-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Maxpac

I agree with Grant 100%! last year the lost of Gorges cost us Maxwell and a 4th round pick, that player is gone.....

Now If something happens to either Gill or Gorges we have a solution within the system, a 1st round pick no less.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I agree with Grant 100%! last year the lost of Gorges cost us Maxwell and a 4th round pick, that player is gone.....

Now If something happens to either Gill or Gorges we have a solution within the system, a 1st round pick no less.
Hopefully we don't have that many injuries where we need to resort to the depth.

It's like the habs have been punished the last three years for their injury-free 07-08 season.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

We're still lacking minute-eaters.

Mitera can fill in on the bottom pairings, but we lost Hamrlik.

Any long-term injury to the top 4 is probably going to prompt a trade for a veteran unless Emelin shows remarkable ability from the get-go.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
We're still lacking minute-eaters.

Mitera can fill in on the bottom pairings, but we lost Hamrlik.

Any long-term injury to the top 4 is probably going to prompt a trade for a veteran unless Emelin shows remarkable ability from the get-go.
I totally agree with this. The offer to Hamrlik clearly demonstrated that there is a spot in the lineup that Gauthier thought needed feeling (aka what you've said: a minute eating top 4 d-man). This spot still remains unfilled and I'll be extremely disappointed if it isn't.

Gauthier clearly intended to fill it with Hamrlik, but it remains vacant. Hannan is still out there. He's not a puck-mover like Hamrlik is, nor does he put up the points(not even close), but Hannan can eat minutes responsibly. His defensive game is still very good. I know he's not what he used to be, but he can still provide 20-22 minutes a night.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Well, any team that wins needs those types of players. They, in the end win you the cup. Look at the Moen/Pahlson/Niedermeyer line for Anaheim a while back, or Talbot for Pittburgh, Marchand for Boston...
Marchand is a 2nd liner on his way to becoming 1st liner.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:29 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I totally agree with this. The offer to Hamrlik clearly demonstrated that there is a spot in the lineup that Gauthier thought needed feeling (aka what you've said: a minute eating top 4 d-man). This spot still remains unfilled and I'll be extremely disappointed if it isn't.

Gauthier clearly intended to fill it with Hamrlik, but it remains vacant. Hannan is still out there. He's not a puck-mover like Hamrlik is, nor does he put up the points(not even close), but Hannan can eat minutes responsibly. His defensive game is still very good. I know he's not what he used to be, but he can still provide 20-22 minutes a night.
Hamrlik is a 2-way dman, he won't be replaced by Komisarek.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post

I really think that PG is comfortable with the defence corps. The club has added Mitera, Emelin, Diaz, and indirectly Gorges and Markov, and is expecting the continued development of Weber, Nash and St. Denis. Markov more than replaces Wiz, Gorges/Emelin/Mitera replace Hamrlik and a slow-footed Sopel..Diaz is the wildcard, and Weber has already shown he's NHL calibre.

If Emelin/Diaz and Weber all flop and Nash isn't ready...then yes.....the club is looking for another dman. Frankly - I think Gorges, Gill, Markov and Subban make a pretty solid top four, and if one of the others steps up (Emelin being the top candidate) Gill can be slid back to a bottom pairing with Spacek.

Last edited by Grant McCagg: 07-17-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old
07-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I really think that PG is comfortable with the defence corps. The club has added Mitera, Emelin, Diaz, and indirectly Gorges and Markov, and is expecting the continued development of Weber, Nash and St. Denis. Markov more than replaces Wiz, Gorges/Emelin/Mitera replace Hamrlik and a slow-footed Sopel..Diaz is the wildcard, and Weber has already shown he's NHL calibre.

If Emelin/Diaz and Weber all flop and Nash isn't ready...then yes.....the club is looking for another dman. Frankly - I think Gorges, Gill, Markov and Subban make a pretty solid top four, and if one of the others steps up (Emelin being the top candidate) Gill can be slid back to a bottom pairing with Spacek.
word. Hey Grant do you have a scouting report on Mitera? I know he had a bad injury how was he in the AHL last year?

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Gorges, Gill, Markov and Subban make a pretty solid top four, and if one of the others steps up (Emelin being the top candidate) Gill can be slid back to a bottom pairing with Spacek.

I guess the real key is keeping the top 4 fairly healthy.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:02 PM
JackZap

i liked this kid, hopefully he stays healthy and gets a shot in anaheim.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:06 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
I guess the real key is keeping the top 4 fairly healthy.
Gill should ideally be a #5 defenceman who gets pushed up to #4 with injuries, but starting at #4 is a bit concerning. Hopefully Yemelin or one of the longer shots - Diaz, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Mitera, or even Spacek on the left side - will prove to be able to play about 19-21 responsible minutes per game.

We should have the cap space left to still get a forward that is an upgrade over Pyatt and Halpern and a defenceman that is better than Gill.

We're not there yet on either front. It might take some time and it might take a trade to get there but that's ok as the cap space is patient!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:09 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

With the addition of Cole, Blunden, Yemelin and Mitera.. and the incoming Leblanc, Berger and Stejskal... Our organization is becoming a lot more "meat-and-potatoes". But Cole, Berger, Leblanc, Yemelin and Blunden also have that offensive flare.

Even our top-end offensive prospects like Beaulieu and Gallagher play with a very tangible edge, and then you have work-horses like Leblanc, Tinordi and Bournival.

Love the new focus on complete players. I'm all for having guys like Mike Cammalleri who are your top-end pure-goalscorers. But players like Pouliot and Kovalev just don't make good supporting casts members.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Hamrlik is a 2-way dman, he won't be replaced by Komisarek.
Any chance Emelin becomes that guy... I see him has a vochenkov clone...

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:11 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
With the addition of Cole, Blunden, Yemelin and Mitera.. and the incoming Leblanc, Berger and Stejskal... Our organization is becoming a lot more "meat-and-potatoes". But Cole, Berger, Leblanc, Yemelin and Blunden also have that offensive flare.

Even our top-end offensive prospects like Beaulieu and Gallagher play with a very tangible edge, and then you have work-horses like Leblanc, Tinordi and Bournival.

Love the new focus on complete players. I'm all for having guys like Mike Cammalleri who are your top-end pure-goalscorers. But players like Pouliot and Kovalev just don't make good supporting casts members.
Blunden showed less offensive flair in the AHL than Pyatt.

Columbus gave him up versus Ryan Russell, a 3rd-4th line AHL player with no waiver eligibility left and a probable UFA at the end of this year.

Don't put too many hopes in Blunden folks. I'm ok with the move as a longshot upside with no downside, but that's all.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:33 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Blunden showed less offensive flair in the AHL than Pyatt.

Columbus gave him up versus Ryan Russell, a 3rd-4th line AHL player with no waiver eligibility left and a probable UFA at the end of this year.

Don't put too many hopes in Blunden folks. I'm ok with the move as a longshot upside with no downside, but that's all.
I'm not just referring to what they can do at the NHL level, I'm talking about our organization as a whole. At the AHL Level, Blunden is a complete player who can contribute well in a Top 6.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
word. Hey Grant do you have a scouting report on Mitera? I know he had a bad injury how was he in the AHL last year?
Not really - I follow draft eligible players..don't have time to scout AHLers as well.

Gill plays well with Subban..not sure why folks don't think he can play a top four role if need be....it's not ideal, but there are worse options.

Old
07-18-2011, 10:05 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habruti! View Post
Any chance Emelin becomes that guy... I see him has a vochenkov clone...

I don't know.

I also don't know why player comparisons are always done within the ethnic group.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote