HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Why did Stamkos not get an offer sheet from another team?

Old
07-19-2011, 08:27 PM
CreeksideStrangler

vCash: 500

Seems pretty odd to me.

I think there are some backdoor NHL rules that GM's have been following because it looked like a no-brainer.

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:29 PM
VAiN*
Infractions are bad.

Class? Karma?

VAiN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:29 PM
5H4RK5

Yzerman threatened to sign every FA at discount prices thus every GM backed off.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:31 PM
schumway2

He would have to be interested in signing one first off. So if a team called him up declaring their interest and he immediately turned them down then it ends there. I'm sure if his agent informed the rest of league he was listening he would have gotten quite a few calls.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
the whole karma thing...

yea i dont get it either.

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
deadp0ol

1. tampa would match
2. you tried to steal a superstar, u essentially burn bridges
3. even if you got him theres no guarantee he will be as good w.o st. louis

deadp0ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:32 PM
RStar*

Look at it from the other teams perspective. If you're the Oilers and you offer sheet for Stamkos, as soon as Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Hopkins, etc are up for a contract, teams are going to have no problem offer sheeting them without thinking twice about it.

No point putting a target on your back.

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Briecheeze

I have a feeling GMs knew that there was no point in giving Stamkos an offer sheet because the Lightning would've matched (they had the cap space, the question was whether their internal budget would've let them go to say, 12 million a year).

No point in doing all of Yzerman's work drawing up a contract, and watching Stamkos be locked up.

The ones that did want to give him an offer sheet probably asked Yzerman if he had any interest in trading the rights, a la Phil Kessel, and Yzerman's asking price would've been astronomical (if not just a simple "no way he's leaving").

Watch out for when he's a UFA though. If Tampa doesn't legitimately contend for the cup in Martin St. Louis's last few years, Stamkos might see the Lightning as a declining and aging team and jump ship.

That's when Leafs fans hope that Stamkos decides he wants to play for his childhood team, that's when Leafs fans hope that Burke turns the club into a contender by.

Briecheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
fultonreed44

It's just not the way most GM's go about their business. Plus, for an offer sheet to be successful a lot of things have to fall into place. The player needs to agree to sign it. The GM needs to then not match it. And then draft picks have to be given up for compensation, many first round picks in Stamkos' case. And teams with the cap space, who were mostly the weaker teams (Florida, Phoenix, Colorado) are not going to want to give up what could be 4 lottery picks for one player.

fultonreed44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 0
I think GMs generally are hesitant to use them. From what I understand Oilers and Lowe lost a lot of good will when they went after Penner and Vanek.

Also, I think everyone understands that using offer sheets will drive inflation in the league. With teams spending more money than ever on player salary, most of them do not want to add another factor that increases salaries. And with Tampa matching pretty much every offer sheet there is no winner. Everyone loses but the player who get a bigger salary.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

All of the above, not to mention Stamkos actually has to agree to said offersheet. People think a GM can send an offersheet and the player has to agree.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:34 PM
leafmon

Same code and reason no other RFA are. It is just a HF myth that these things really have a chance of happening/ I mean Stamkos,Doughty ect.......really

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RStar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
He would have to be interested in signing one first off. So if a team called him up declaring their interest and he immediately turned them down then it ends there. I'm sure if his agent informed the rest of league he was listening he would have gotten quite a few calls.
Do you honestly think his agent was saying "No no, keep your offers to yourself, we don't want to hear them! Hes not on the table!"

RStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NewFang

Answer has been given already, Tampa would match anything. Not only that, Tampa has somethinglike 30 days to match, and during that time the team who placed the offer sheet is handcuffed from doing other moves.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:35 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Stamkos would have to sign it in the first place. He may have gotten several but didn't sign any.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:38 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Answer has been given already, Tampa would match anything. Not only that, Tampa has somethinglike 30 days to match, and during that time the team who placed the offer sheet is handcuffed from doing other moves.
7 days.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:39 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreeksideStrangler View Post

Seems pretty odd to me.

I think there are some backdoor NHL rules that GM's have been following because it looked like a no-brainer.
How do we know he didnt get one?

maybe he get sone offer but didnt accept it.

Offer sheet are only made public once they are accepted.

--------------------------

But the main reason he didnt accept/receive any offer sheet is because it would just not work at all Tampa bay would had matched almost any offer.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Perhaps he did and didn't have interest in signing one, or maybe I haven't read enough yet I just got out of work

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:40 PM
SephF
See you next time

There's a real chance that Stamkos was sent an offer sheet but he chose not to sign it, if that was the case we'd probably never hear about it.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:40 PM
SomeDude

Is it certain he didnt? Offer sheets dont mean anything if the player doesnt sign it.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:42 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4RK5 View Post
Yzerman threatened to sign every FA at discount prices thus every GM backed off.
this.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:44 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Do you honestly think his agent was saying "No no, keep your offers to yourself, we don't want to hear them! Hes not on the table!"
I have no doubt he heard their offer if they gave one but it's not unlikely he told them he wasn't negotiating with other teams at the moment. If he felt the need to squeeze the lightning he could have started serious discussions with other teams. Perhaps he didn't feel the situation warranted it. Had it gone sour maybe he would have.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Look at it from the other teams perspective. If you're the Oilers and you offer sheet for Stamkos, as soon as Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Hopkins, etc are up for a contract, teams are going to have no problem offer sheeting them without thinking twice about it.

No point putting a target on your back.
I don't agree with this line of thinking.

If Steven Stamkos is one of the best five players in the game, and if you offer sheet him with enough cash to make the Lightning walk, what do you care if the Lightning come offer sheeting one of your other guys? If they want to give up four first rounders for Jordan Eberle, maybe you just let him walk, it basically becomes a Stamkos for Eberle trade, which is kin dof a big win for Edmonton, hypothetically.

Secondly, I think the main reason why GMs don't do offer sheets is because is more out of concern for their own relationships within the GM fraternity than for the well-being of their own teams. You don't want to make big waves and rob an ex or future colleague out of a franchise player that might result in someone losing their job because you don't know who will be interviewing you down the line.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hockeyfreak7

I'm almost positive at least a couple teams negotiated with him, and I'm almost equally certain he was presented with an offer sheet by someone.

It just comes down to no teams willing to offer an AAV of $10m.

I'm positive the Flyers or Sabres talked to Stamkos and his agent, but I'm sure they said that it would take 10m per year to get him out of Tampa.

As exciting as the thought was, nobody was willing to give up that much cash for him.

It doesnt have to do with "karma", that's for sure.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Canuckommunist

Chance and the fact that it would diminish the opinion of the GM in everyone other GM's eyes. Offer sheets are sort of frowned upon among GMs unless, as I understand it, they've made it clear they're balking at terms and price and negotiations are completely stalled. That was never the case with Stamkos.

Canuckommunist is offline   Reply With Quote