HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good Job Poile on the 2009 NHL Draft

Old
07-17-2011, 12:03 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 500
Good Job Poile on the 2009 NHL Draft

Just looking over some prospects, and hadn't really realized how many of our top prospects all came fro the same draft. Was is a really deep draft overall, or just a good job by the staff? It could end up being better than 2003.

Ellis, Beck, Latta, Smith, and Ekholm all could see time with the big club in the next 2 years, and Buddish, COR, and Bourque all have upside.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:38 PM
token grinder

it was the draft where poile loaded up on picks because he knew it was a deep draft. He got the Budish pick (with ryan jones) in the Zidtard trade I think. And he manuevered around the 08 draft, moving down a couple of times to imrpove his 09 picks. I think. but it has been awhile

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:16 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
PuckScene did a great write-up on the 2009 draft...

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
PuckScene did a great write-up on the 2009 draft...
Yes, Patten did a great job recently recapping the 2009 draft class and the development of our prospects from that class thus far...

Quote:
In the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, the Predators drafted Ryan Ellis, Zach Budish, Charles-Olivier Roussel, Taylor Beck, Michael Latta, Craig Smith, Mattias Ekholm and Gabriel Bourque in the first five rounds.
http://www.puckscene.com/2011/07/cou...es-best-draft/

Personally, I think that the only real bust thus far has been Nick Oliver who hasn't progressed from the USHL yet, but will be starting his collegiate career at St. Cloud State this season where fellow 2009 pick Cam Reid enjoyed a very successful season last year finishing 7th in the WCHA in freshman scoring.

Zach Budish clearly needs to put together a healthy year and show improvement on his skating, but prior to his last ACL tear he had shown good development from his freshman to sophomore years at Minnesota. Will be interesting to see how he does this season and if he can show he's ready...whether or not he turns pro next summer.

Mattias Ekholm was SEL rookie of the year this past season and was named as top defenseman twice in international competitions (against men) representing Sweden. I think he's passed Charles-Olivier Roussel on the depth charts thus far and will help provide some balance to the heavily offensive flair to our top defensive prospects. Expect to see Ekholm in a Predators uniform this season.

Ryan Ellis obviously completed one of the most storied junior careers in history last season and got a brief taste of the AHL during the playoffs last season. He looked very poised and always a step ahead of the competition in the 1 game I saw him in for Milwaukee (Game 7 of the 2nd round) and I wouldn't be surprised to see him break camp with the Predators this season if he can prove the ability to handle weight at the professional level.

Roussel was the youngest player drafted in 2009 (born 3 days before the cutoff) and after seeing his star rise, has suffered some setbacks in his development. He'll be starting his pro career this season and will have to prove himself again before he gets his opportunity in Nashville.

The 1st thing I ever wrote about Michael Latta here was that he exuded the phrase "professional hockey player" and that I didn't know what role he'd make it in, but that he would definitely be an NHL player. Latta has done nothing to let me down in that regard refining his raw offensive talent into a top-six center with an equal combination of grit and skill. I've commonly compared him to Dave Bolland from Chicago, but I'll be very interested to watch him side by side with Mike Fisher in training camp this year.

Taylor Beck has been Latta's wing man the past two seasons in Windsor and has shown very impressive offensive instincts at every prospect camp he's attended since being drafted. I think what impresses me the most about Beck is his desire to lower his shoulder and take the puck to the net whenever he gets the opportunity. A blossoming power forward, who's made major strides in his skating since being drafted, Beck is definitely in the Predators plans for the not too distant future.

Gabriel Bourque is a two-way skilled forward that does all the little things that endear him to coaches and possesses the motor that also endears him to fans alike. A bit undersized, Bourque isn't really known for mixing it up too much physically, but he will go to the hard areas and battles with enough grit to get the job done. Come playoff time...Bourque is CLUTCH. Gabriel seems to thrive on the pressure of the playoffs winning the Guy Lafleur trophy as leading scorer in the QMJHL playoffs two seasons ago and then exploding offensively to help the Admirals to Game 7 of the second round last year. He'll start the year in Milwaukee, but don't be surprised if Gabriel Bourque doesn't crack the Nashville lineup at some point this season.

Craig Smith is obviously the talk of the town right now having turned pro this week. A late bloomer, Smith was drafted out of the USHL and began his collegiate career as a freshman winger on Blake Geoffrion's line. Smith immediately clicked with Blake serving as his playmaker all season and helping his captain win the Hobey Baker Award. As a sophomore last season Smith was named a team captain and flourished moving to center to replace Geoffrion and turning his attention to scoring goals. After the season, Smith was named co-captain of the team for his junior year, but also got the opportunity to represent Team USA at the World Championships where he proved that he was ready to take the next step if he wanted to and after serious consideration, he is now ready to embark on his pro career next season.

Cam Reid has been a bit of an afterthought in this class as a 7th round pick. I put him about on par with Craig Smith when I watched them both at prospect camp two summers ago. Reid did not attend this year's camp, but experienced a similar freshman season to Smith serving primarily as a playmaker on his line and leading St. Cloud State freshman in scoring with 8 goals and 21 assists in 37 games to rank him 3rd overall on the team with 29 points. SCSU is a developing program and Cam Reid is another sleeper IMO to keep an eye on this season to watch how he progresses from freshman to sophomore next season.

A great draft class that very well could yield us more NHL players than any draft class in the team history...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
The funny thing is I was not happy after the 2009 draft. I have no reason I felt that way but I just didn't feel like any prospects other than Budish would pan out.

I am so glad I am wrong.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
The funny thing is I was not happy after the 2009 draft. I have no reason I felt that way but I just didn't feel like any prospects other than Budish would pan out.

I am so glad I am wrong.
I think many of us were thinking it may have been the best draft we had had outside of the 2003 draft.

I like our chances with Ekholm, Beck, Latta, Borque, and Ellis. I think all will be NHLers. Budish's latest knee injury may really damage his development. It may not. He was the player I was most excited about out of that draft. COR has taken a step back, but he has a great overall skillset. He was a legitimate first round pick that fell to us. I think he turns it around.

07-17-2011, 09:00 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Budish is the most frustrating pick of '09 ... or any year. Leg injury playing football ... another injury from his four wheeler ... all delaying his progress. One of the few true power forwards we've picked up in an early round lately and the injury bug keeps biting him away from the ice.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:13 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Budish is the most frustrating pick of '09 ... or any year. Leg injury playing football ... another injury from his four wheeler ... all delaying his progress. One of the few true power forwards we've picked up in an early round lately and the injury bug keeps biting him away from the ice.
Four wheeler would have been tolerable, at least it's being brute. I think he injured it on a scooter. But yeah, he's been a frustrating one.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote