HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Campoli not coming back according to Bowman

Old
07-15-2011, 04:52 PM
HawksTillDeath

vCash: 500
i comes down to.. would you rather have Campoli at 2.5 (assumed) or Lepisto at .7?

i'd rather lepisto - worste case you waive the guy and look at the free agent market for help

here's some D men available as UFA next season that can be trade bait this year

Liles, John-Michael TOR D UFA 4,550,000 46 0
Wideman, Dennis WAS D UFA 4,500,000 40 0
Burns, Brent SJ D UFA 4,000,000 46 0
Oduya, Johnny WIN D UFA 4,000,000 15 0
Carle, Matthew PHI D UFA 3,800,000 40 0
Kronwall, Niklas DET D UFA 3,750,000 37 0
Stuart, Brad DET D UFA 3,750,000 20 0
Beauchemin, Francois ANA D UFA 3,650,000 17 0
Gleason, Tim CAR D UFA 3,500,000 16 0
Jackman, Barret STL D UFA 3,500,000 13 0
Mitchell, Willie LA D UFA 3,500,000 10 0
Suter, Ryan NAS D UFA 3,500,000 39 0
Tyutin, Fedor CLB D UFA 3,425,000 27 0
Sarich, Cory CGY D UFA 3,300,000 17 0
Coburn, Braydon PHI D UFA 3,200,000 16 0
Allen, Bryan CAR D UFA 3,150,000 17 0
Eaton, Mark NYI D UFA 3,000,000 3 0
Rozsival, Michal PHO D UFA 3,000,000 21 0
White, Colin NJ D UFA 3,000,000 6 0
Salvador, Bryce NJ D UFA 2,900,000 0 0
Colaiacovo, Carlo STL D UFA 2,500,000 26 0
Corvo, Joe BOS D UFA 2,500,000 40 0
Gill, Hal MON D UFA 2,250,000 9 0
Sutton, Andy EDM D UFA 2,250,000 4 0
Aucoin, Adrian PHO D UFA 2,200,000 22 0
Martinek, Radek CLB D UFA 2,200,000 16 0
Zanon, Greg MIN D UFA 2,100,000 7 0
Boychuk, Johnny BOS D UFA 2,000,000 16 0
Salo, Sami VAN D UFA 2,000,000 7 0
Foster, Kurtis EDM D UFA 1,800,000 23 0
Grossman, Nicklas DAL D UFA 1,750,000 10 0
Sauer, Kurt PHO D UFA 1,750,000 0 0
Souray, Sheldon DAL D UFA 1,650,000 0 0
Hunwick, Matt COL D UFA 1,550,000 13 0
Bouillon, Francis NAS D UFA 1,500,000 10 0
Clark, Brett TB D UFA 1,500,000 30 0
Lebda, Brett NAS D UFA 1,400,000 4 0

so theres definetly some guys to go out and get

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:53 PM
HawksTillDeath

maybe we can trade campoli for some half decent G prospect to play in Rockford

there isn't too much depth

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:55 PM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Don't the Hawks own the rights to Campoli up until his arbitration date has passed? A trade still could happen sometime until then, no?

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:02 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

If this is true, it certainly has soured the off season for me. Things were going a little too smoothly ... but the summer is not over yet.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Lot of people mad at Bowman

If Campoli wants 3M he can go play for the Panthers ,, He isn't worth it and we just got a capable dman for alot less

As for the deadline. Campoli was all we could get apparantly and with Hendry injury we had to make a move

48th for Campoli= Rental

Not terrible loss. We had 2 better 2nd's in this years draft so this isn't a trade that will matter in longrun.

I am sure Bowman will see if anyone is interested but likely they will wait til after arbitration (I doubt teams will covet the idea of paying Campoli 3M)

There were rumors the Rangers were talking to Lepisto so maybe Bowman had to make the choice now instead of waiting out Campoli

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:37 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

If Campoli wants 3M he can go play for the Panthers ,, He isn't worth it and we just got a capable dman for alot less

As for the deadline. Campoli was all we could get apparantly and with Hendry injury we had to make a move

48th for Campoli= Rental

Not terrible loss. We had 2 better 2nd's in this years draft so this isn't a trade that will matter in longrun.

I am sure Bowman will see if anyone is interested but likely they will wait til after arbitration (I doubt teams will covet the idea of paying Campoli 3M)There were rumors the Rangers were talking to Lepisto so maybe Bowman had to make the choice now instead of waiting out Campoli

There will be between 3-5 teams that will gladly sign Campoli after the arbiter declares his value. What ever he is awarded is not high money....Arbitration is getting average money. Arbitration sets what value is...it defines value period!

That said teams with space would pick him up quickly....Why wouldn't they all they have to do is pay him if a team doesn't pay him....They give up no draft picks. If he had 3 or 4 teams interested and received 2.75 at arbitration....I would bet Dale signs him for over the arbitration price just to make sure he wins the agent over and gets the guy.

I'm not saying Dale gets him, but check cap geek they signed mostly all offensive guys. They need 2 more defenseman a 3 million guy and a 1.75 million guy and Dales squad becomes a playoff team maybe not this year but next year....

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:39 PM
blackhacks17

Quote:

48th for Campoli= Rental

I am sure Bowman will see if anyone is interested but likely they will wait til after arbitration (I doubt teams will covet the idea of paying Campoli 3M)

There were rumors the Rangers were talking to Lepisto so maybe Bowman had to make the choice now instead of waiting out Campoli
Exactly. If Bowman isn't even willing to see an arbitration figure for Campoli, his demands must have been very egregious. further, Bowman's been stockpiling draft picks over the years, so the rental for the playoff push wasn't a huge deal and you could argue it helped us get into the playoffs. Anyway, I'm pleased that Bowman isn't going to give in to bottom pairing D men about absurd contract demands.

Campoli could have played his way to 3 mil by taking a 1 year deal at a reasonable price in a system where he likely would have seen a lot of power play time with the absence of Campbell. He screwed up.

blackhacks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:43 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:

48th for Campoli= Rental

Try to rationalize it if you wish, but you were correct the first time. Sign Campoli at an inflated price for 1 year, is the obvious option for me.

I certainly hope this is not a pissing match, but that certainly seems the case.... and just maybe Campoli and his agent will not setlle for a 1 year deal.

Old
07-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Campoli is a bottom pairing defenseman. The Hawks aren't going to pay a bottom pairing defenseman $3+ mil per season. SEE YA CAMPOLI! Lepisto will be just fine playing the minutes Campoli would have been playing. Campoli was basically sixth on our defensive depth chart... He's just not that good. Holy overreaction.

Here is how I see our defensive depth:

Keith
Seabrook
Hjalmarsson
Montador/Leddy
Lepisto
O'Donnell

Campoli wasn't bumping any of those guys down a spot.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Sevanston

Good moves Bowman.

It sounds like he's going to try to trade him off before August. We'll see how that goes.

For a player who's not coming back, any return is a good return.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 05:48 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhacks17 View Post
Exactly. If Bowman isn't even willing to see an arbitration figure for Campoli, his demands must have been very egregious. further, Bowman's been stockpiling draft picks over the years, so the rental for the playoff push wasn't a huge deal and you could argue it helped us get into the playoffs. Anyway, I'm pleased that Bowman isn't going to give in to bottom pairing D men about absurd contract demands.

Campoli could have played his way to 3 mil by taking a 1 year deal at a reasonable price in a system where he likely would have seen a lot of power play time with the absence of Campbell. He screwed up.

Agree 100% it was worth a 2nd rounder just to get into the playoffs. Probably could have gotten him for a 3rd rounder 2 weeks before....but we were desperate because we had a few d-guys injured so Ottawa maximized what they got in return for him.

He played well in Chicago... Yet I think playing in Chicago can make a good player like Campoli look even better than what he actually is.... And Lepisto skating for the Blackhawks defense will also make him look better because when surrounded by talent flaws arent so glaring.

Old
07-15-2011, 05:49 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Pez68: I certainly wish that was true.

Old
07-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Kurtosis
RTJ

It is true.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Kurtosis
RTJ

If Tim Gleason is available at the deadline, sold. Highly doubt he is though.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:04 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

/\ Well if it is true that Campoli is our 8th dman, we are in great shape on the back end.

Old
07-15-2011, 06:05 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Yeah, I really don't get all the worry about Campoli leaving. He was a filler, a nice pick-up at the time, but he wasn't a must resign and he priced himself out of town. Leddy was always going to be the guy playing in the the top 4, so why pay Campoli far more than he's worth to your team to be a 3rd pairing guy?

Lepisto will be a good replacement.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Hawkster58

Campoli is asking for over 3 million a season, way too much for a 5/6 guy. That plus the fact he didn't make the simple play up the boards and instead pulled that bonehead hail-mary that ended our season. I'm still bitter...

He's a journeyman at best that is overvaluing himself, he's already bounced around a lot at young age for good reason.

Some of you are really overrating him, just glad Stan didn't drink that kool-aid...see ya around Chris!!!

Hawkster58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
/\ Well if it is true that Campoli is our 8th dman, we are in great shape on the back end.
No, he was sixth, just like Lepisto will be. You don't pay that much for your #6 defenseman.

Kuc: GM Stan Bowman on defenseman Chris Campoli: "He sees himself in a different category than we did price-wise."

Campoli is pricing himself as a top four defenseman. He's not in the top four on this team, and he isn't on any other team either. He's not bumping Leddy's icetime, nor Montador's. He's not taking PK or PP time from any of the other defenseman. What, exactly, would we be paying him that much for?

Screw Campoli.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Good moves Bowman.

It sounds like he's going to try to trade him off before August. We'll see how that goes.

For a player who's not coming back, any return is a good return.
I said this in another thread, but now that Bowman has come out and said he isn't negotiating with Campoli, not sure who would be willing to trade with us. If I'm a team with a luke warm need for a D-Man, I'd just wait out the arbitration hearing, expect the Hawks to walk away from the number (which we "probably" will) and then sign Campoli as a UFA if I can.

Why trade an asset when you can just sign the guy when he hits the UFA market? I don't see us getting many takers unless its a multi player deal.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:18 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

I think this was a time for the Hawks to bite the bullet and see what Campoli can do. Its not like we can't afford it. Give him his 1yr deal and see what happens. No matter how you cut it, we are weaker without him but I'm sure old man Wirtz would have approved.

Old
07-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I said this in another thread, but now that Bowman has come out and said he isn't negotiating with Campoli, not sure who would be willing to trade with us. If I'm a team with a luke warm need for a D-Man, I'd just wait out the arbitration hearing, expect the Hawks to walk away from the number (which we "probably" will) and then sign Campoli as a UFA if I can.

Why trade an asset when you can just sign the guy when he hits the UFA market? I don't see us getting many takers unless its a multi player deal.
Just because they're not negotiating any further doesn't mean we're going to walk away from his arbitration award. If we sign him to a contract, he has to honor it otherwise we have a Nabokov situation.

More likely, we try to trade him leading up to the arbitration case and if we don't find takers or we don't like the offers... we wait for the arb hearing. We sign him to whatever the arbiter awards him and keep him in our back pocket as a trade chip throughout the season or we deal him before the season starts.

Fact is, he still has little leverage and Bowman has most of it... even if he doesn't want him on this team. With how weak the FA class is (and even moreso now this late), someone will pay to get him.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
Just because they're not negotiating any further doesn't mean we're going to walk away from his arbitration award. If we sign him to a contract, he has to honor it otherwise we have a Nabokov situation.

More likely, we try to trade him leading up to the arbitration case and if we don't find takers or we don't like the offers... we wait for the arb hearing. We sign him to whatever the arbiter awards him and keep him in our back pocket as a trade chip throughout the season or we deal him before the season starts.

Fact is, he still has little leverage and Bowman has all the leverage... even if he doesn't want him on this team. With how weak the FA class is (and even moreso now this late), someone will pay to get him.
I agree with what you are saying, in that there is a CHANCE we could want to sign him depending on his award, and that if teams believe that and really want him, they might trade for him. However, when Stan goes publicly saying things like this:

adamjahns Adam Jahns
To answer some questions on Campoli, arbitration -Bowman: "If we donít trade him then he will become an unrestricted free agent" #Blackhawks

...that sort of ruins that little illusion. If I'm a GM, I just wait that out.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I agree with what you are saying, in that there is a CHANCE we could want to sign him depending on his award, and that if teams believe that and really want him, they might trade for him. However, when Stan goes publicly saying things like this:

adamjahns Adam Jahns
To answer some questions on Campoli, arbitration -Bowman: "If we donít trade him then he will become an unrestricted free agent" #Blackhawks

...that sort of ruins that little illusion. If I'm a GM, I just wait that out.
Oh wow, didn't see that quote from Bowman. Since he pretty much just showed his hand, I definitely see what you were getting at in your first post now.

Not much chance we get much for him now, if anything.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:02 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I think this was a time for the Hawks to bite the bullet and see what Campoli can do. Its not like we can't afford it. Give him his 1yr deal and see what happens. No matter how you cut it, we are weaker without him but I'm sure old man Wirtz would have approved.
It doesn't matter. He is a solid #5 on any NHL team. He is not more than that. But he is not less than that either...He is far from a #6 and on a few bad teams he is a #4...

Lepisto is a #6 possibly a #5 but the dropoff is not significant enough to pay Campoli...

I think Campoli can take his 2.75 million or 3 million and play on a team that sucks. He could have gotten 2.3 million and collected extra cash here in playoff money or bonuses. Bonehead move to go from a contender to a pretender. Ottawa might take him back...he probably didn't burn bridges.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:05 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
It doesn't matter. He is a solid #5 on any NHL team. He is not more than that. But he is not less than that either...He is far from a #6 and on a few bad teams he is a #4...

Lepisto is a #6 possibly a #5 but the dropoff is not significant enough to pay Campoli...

I think Campoli can take his 2.75 million or 3 million and play on a team that sucks. He could have gotten 2.3 million and collected extra cash here in playoff money or bonuses. Bonehead move to go from a contender to a pretender. Ottawa might take him back...he probably didn't burn bridges.
Bryan Murray (OTT GM) said at the trade deadline that they weren't even going to extend Campoli a qualifying offer. No chance he goes back to Ottawa.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote