HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Campoli not coming back according to Bowman

Old
07-15-2011, 07:07 PM
madgoat33

vCash: 500
Campoli is a nice depth piece for a contender, but really, I wouldn't want him playing top 4 minutes regardless of how bad my team was. I thought he fit in great with the hawks, but not for 3 mil.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:09 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Overpay him for one year. I'd rather have him on an inflated contract and have a stacked defense than let the cap space rot away.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Overpay him for one year. I'd rather have him on an inflated contract and have a stacked defense than let the cap space rot away.
Where's he going to play? They clearly signed Lepisto to replace Campoli. You don't take the Hawks to Arbitration, remember Calder?

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:12 PM
brtriad

I have not seen Lepisto play but from all reports on here Campoli is superior player. Let Lepisto sit in Rockford for all I care. Campoli fits this team like a glove. He's a good puck mover for the bottom pairing and can PK.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:12 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
It doesn't matter. He is a solid #5 on any NHL team. He is not more than that. But he is not less than that either...He is far from a #6 and on a few bad teams he is a #4...

Lepisto is a #6 possibly a #5 but the dropoff is not significant enough to pay Campoli...

I think Campoli can take his 2.75 million or 3 million and play on a team that sucks. He could have gotten 2.3 million and collected extra cash here in playoff money or bonuses. Bonehead move to go from a contender to a pretender. Ottawa might take him back...he probably didn't burn bridges.
I disagree. Campoli does not play a soft game and if any of our top 4 go down to injury he is more than adequate to take up the slack. I just hope that Stan didn't let the emotion of the minute get the better of him but that certainly is how it appears by his declaration. Pretty stupid if you ask me!

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I disagree. Campoli does not play a soft game and if any of our top 4 go down to injury he is more than adequate to take up the slack. I just hope that Stan didn't let the emotion of the minute get the better of him but trhat certainly is how it appears by his declaration. Pretty stupid if you ask me!
Yea, I like him on the hawks as well, but the thought of giving him 3mil/yr and basically doubling his salary is just

Quote:
hmm, I actually like what you're thinking. We have a ton of space. If campoli will sign for a year, I don't really see an issue with it.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
HMP

Blackhawks fans are the only fans that think Campoli is good. Lets face it, we severely overate the guy.

HMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:19 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMP View Post
Blackhawks fans are the only fans that think Campoli is good. Lets face it, we severely overate the guy.
Not really. he fit the team like a glove and would be >>>odonnell in the bottom pairing.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:23 PM
BobbyJet

/\ He did seem to fit in nicely and if he is indeed gone, I think we are making a mistake. I was really looking forward to this season with him as our 5th dman who could play the PP if needed.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Or the cap space can be used throughout the season if needed... Or at the deadline...

Campoli is not a good defenseman. Period. He's definitely not a bottom pairing defenseman that you OVERPAY to keep. The fact that a terrible team like Ottawa wasn't even going to offer him a contract says it all. The difference between Lepisto and Campoli for the minutes and roles they are going to be playing, is negligible. The salary isn't. See ya Chris! Good luck getting a job and that $3 million you want come August.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:26 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
/\ He did seem to fit in nicely and if he is indeed gone, I think we are making a mistake. I was really looking forward to this season with him as our 5th dman who could play the PP if needed.
yea, but 3 mil for a 5th dman is pretty steep. Though, we could afford it. I would definitely like to see him get PP time if we do sign him.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:28 PM
HMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Not really. he fit the team like a glove and would be >>>odonnell in the bottom pairing.
Well now he can go to another team and give up 2 on 1's from bad pinches.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
yea, but 3 mil for a 5th dman is pretty steep. Though, we could afford it. I would definitely like to see him get PP time if we do sign him.
Fifth dman? How is Campoli better than any of Hammer, Montador, or Leddy? He's the #6 on this team, any way you look at it.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:37 PM
BobbyJet

Until we see exactly what happens with Campoli, this is the last thing I'm going to say on the matter. If Hawks are going to bring in a fringe dman, it had better be one with some grit and physicality. Not one who is a wannabe top 4. The extra money we would have paid Campoli in the short term is irrelevant if Lepisto can't do the job physically. And the scouting report says he can't. Hopefully it's wrong.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:38 PM
HMP

Quote:
How does he fit the team like a glove? Lepisto can do the same things Campoli does except Lepisto doesn't get the publicity and popularity since he has less NHL experience. What is so great about Campoli?

I understand people feel like we need to have someone fill Campbells shoes but Campoli is not the answer at 3m per.

Campbells points will be made up by our new defensemen anyways. One thing people haven't talked about is the ability for Montador to get pucks to the net at the blue line and the good D from Lepisto, Montador, Leddy, and others will help since we won't have a million 2 on 1's every game.

We have a defense that is better suited for the postseason thats for sure.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:41 PM
HMP

Quote:
Until we see exactly what happens with Campoli, this is the last thing I'm going to say on the matter. If Hawks are going to bring in a fringe dman, it had better be one with some grit and physicality. Not one who is a wannabe top 4. The extra money we would have paid Campoli in the short term is irrelevant if Lepisto can't do the job physically. And the scouting report says he can't. Hopefully it's wrong.
Who cares how physical a defenseman is if he can't play defense. A typical game from Campoli involves bad pinches. Its a good with the bad type player. He had 3 goals and 4 assists for the Hawks and somehow, people think he is good. There are other D-men that can skate too AND Play really good D.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Because Campoli has a ton of grit and physicality?

O'Donnell is there, as well as Montador. There's your grit and physicality. Look at the mix of defensemen on this roster.

Puckmovers: Keith, Leddy, Lepisto
Physical/Grit: Seabrook, Hammer, Montador, O'Donnell

They're fine.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:42 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMP View Post
How does he fit the team like a glove? Lepisto can do the same things Campoli does except Lepisto doesn't get the publicity and popularity since he has less NHL experience. What is so great about Campoli?

I understand people feel like we need to have someone fill Campbells shoes but Campoli is not the answer at 3m per.

Campbells points will be made up by our new defensemen anyways. One thing people haven't talked about is the ability for Montador to get pucks to the net at the blue line and the good D from Lepisto, Montador, Leddy, and others will help since we won't have a million 2 on 1's every game.

We have a defense that is better suited for the postseason thats for sure.
I explicitly stated i dont' think he's worth 3mil per, but he barely missed a beat when he joined the hawks. his aggressive nature fits the team very well. personally, I'm not a big Lepisto fan, and if we didn't have cap space, I'd much rather have lepisto at ~1mil than campoli around @2.5-3, but since we have a decent amount of space, I'd rather have campoli for 1 year than lepisto.

Old
07-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
Because Campoli has a ton of grit and physicality?
I wouldn't say he has "a ton" of it... but he was pretty feisty when he was here. Frequently getting into scrums, would finish his hits and battled pretty hard.

Campoli is getting way too much flak around here. He was a good fit here, even if it was only for a couple months. Lepisto is a better option for the price, but from what I've heard/seen Campoli is probably slightly better in most facets of the game.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Piffle

Nobody from the Islanders or Ottawa that I have seen wants anything to do with this guy, and I keep hearing things about him being arrogant and a bad locker room guy. This is the exact opposite of what this (or any) team needs. I am happy he isn't coming back, especially for the ridiculous paycheck he wants.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:02 PM
brtriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
Or the cap space can be used throughout the season if needed... Or at the deadline...

Campoli is not a good defenseman. Period. He's definitely not a bottom pairing defenseman that you OVERPAY to keep. The fact that a terrible team like Ottawa wasn't even going to offer him a contract says it all. The difference between Lepisto and Campoli for the minutes and roles they are going to be playing, is negligible. The salary isn't. See ya Chris! Good luck getting a job and that $3 million you want come August.
Even with Campoli at a $3 million salary we'd have what? $9 million for a roster player at the deadline. We aren't going to be trading for Ovechkin. Unless Campoli is packed for an upgrade at defense or an elite third line center, pay him more than he's worth to keep him here. There are no better options.

Old
07-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Campoli and Lepisto are pretty similar, so much so that this is in all likelyhood a wash. I wouldn't get bent out of shape about this.

Old
07-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Quote:
Even with Campoli at a $3 million salary we'd have what? $9 million for a roster player at the deadline. We aren't going to be trading for Ovechkin. Unless Campoli is packed for an upgrade at defense or an elite third line center, pay him more than he's worth to keep him here. There are no better options.
That's not the Hawks M.O. They never cave in arbitration, Calder was shipped out as were a few other guys that dared to take the Hawks to arb. That's just how they operate, they send you packing when you do this.

Old
07-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
That's not the Hawks M.O. They never cave in arbitration, Calder was shipped out as were a few other guys that dared to take the Hawks to arb. That's just how they operate, they send you packing when you do this.
Unless your name is Viktor Stalberg.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 08:30 PM
leoleo3535

Keep in mind filing for arbitration is to arrive at a fair salary.

It is done by an independant 3rd party.

All he was doing was asking to be paid fairly.

Strange how when a player comes on board he is the next coming of Bobby Orr yet when he leaves he is worthless.

At the end of the day Campoli will sign somewhere for more than he made last year and life will go on.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote