HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Can a player receive a point while not being on the ice? (And +/-?)

Old
07-15-2011, 03:46 PM
plusandminus

vCash: 500
Can a player receive a point while not being on the ice? (And +/-?)

I wonder if a player can be credited with a goal or assist while not being on the ice when the goal is scored. How is +/- treated if the player making the assist/goal is not on the ice when the goal is scored?

There are scenarios where this could happen (and I would expect it does happen)...

Example 1:
Defenceman makes a pass, then goes to change. A few seconds after new player have jumped in, the team scores.
At 12:14. Defenceman 2 passes forward 4. On ice 1-2-3-4-5-6
At 12:15. Defenceman 2 changes, and defenceman 7 jumps in.
At 12:17. Forward 4 passes forward 5 who scores. On ice 1-7-3-4-5-6
Goal scored by 5, assisted by 4 and 2. But on ice 1-7-3-4-5-6

Example 2:
Same as example 1, but with bolded difference (the replacement guy scored).
Defenceman makes a pass, then goes to change. A few seconds after new player have jumped in, the team scores.
At 12:14. Defenceman 2 passes forward 4. On ice 1-2-3-4-5-6
At 12:15. Defenceman 2 changes, and defenceman 7 jumps in.
At 12:17. Forward 4 passes forward 7 who scores. On ice 1-7-3-4-5-6
Goal scored by 7, assisted by 4 and 2. But on ice 1-7-3-4-5-6

Example 3 (OK, it's slightly hypothetical):
On ice is 1-2-3-4-5-6. They are passing around, 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6, who dumps it, while 2-3-4-5-6 changes. In comes 7-8-9-10-11. Two seconds later, opponents mess up completely, accidentally putting the puck in their own goal.
Goal credited to 6 (will 5 and 4 get assists?, it's an own goal). But on ice, 1-7-8-9-10-11.

It is definitely possible to assist and not be on the ice when the goal is scored.
It almost surely must have happened on several occasions?

In theory, it is even possible to score a goal, while not being on the ice as it crosses the goal line. Has it ever happened?

Finally...
Can players be credited with fewer GF (goals forward) than they have points in a game?
How about player 2 in the first example, where the goal is et ES (even strength) and the game ends 1-0. Will he be 0+1 in points, but 0 in +/-?

plusandminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I remember this thread maybe a few months ago..
Yes they can get a point while not on the ice
Player A passes to player B.. Player A goes off for a change.. Player B shoots and scores

For a goal, yes
Player A dumps the puck in and goes for a change.. Player A on the opposite team mishandles the puck and scores on his own net.

For the +/- question, that was also given a yes..

Im lost on the goals forward question, as i dont know what goals forward is..

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:07 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusandminus View Post
I wonder if a player can be credited with a goal or assist while not being on the ice when the goal is scored.
Yes. The last player to touch the puck is all that matters, not where he is at the time the goal is scored. It's conceivable that a player could shoot the puck at an empty net, the step off the ice and "score" the point from the bench.

Quote:
How is +/- treated if the player making the assist/goal is not on the ice when the goal is scored?
+/- is based on the players on the ice, regardless of how the points work out.

Quote:
It is definitely possible to assist and not be on the ice when the goal is scored.
It almost surely must have happened on several occasions?
It has happened on many, many occasions. Some here have suggested that the "phantom assist" is a myth that resulted from players changing lines behind the play and getting an assist after leaving the ice.

Quote:
Can players be credited with fewer GF (goals forward) than they have points in a game?
You mean, can a team score 3 goals but only 2 goals be credited to players? No. Every goal is credited to a player.

Quote:
How about player 2 in the first example, where the goal is et ES (even strength) and the game ends 1-0. Will he be 0+1 in points, but 0 in +/-?
That is correct. Strangely, it would be possible to score an ES goal and not receive a +, if you get off the ice at just the right instant. I don't think that's ever happened, though.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:45 PM
plusandminus

Thank you. This was quickly settled. (And as I guessed, "phantom points" was mentioned too. )

With GF, I just meant goals forward, in this case for the player. That is, the number of goals forward the player was on the ice for. Your team can win 3-2, with you scoring three points, but you may only have been on the ice for 2 of the goals your team scores.

Old
07-15-2011, 04:48 PM
mooseOAK*

Bryan McCabe did it once, got an assist but no plus for it because he was on the bench by the time the goal was scored Can't remember the game though.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 04:54 PM
reckoning

On the infamous Steve Smith goal into his own net in 1986, Perry Berezan (who got credited with the goal) was already on the bench when the goal was scored.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
seventieslord

I think you are confusing people with "goals forward"... it's just called "goals for"

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:31 PM
plusandminus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I think you are confusing people with "goals forward"... it's just called "goals for"
You are right. Thanks for pointing it out.