HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Draft Time Capsule

Old
07-16-2011, 12:55 AM
DrEasy
Waiting for Methot

vCash: 500
Ziba: injuries to Spezza eventually make him the first line C, but he produces like Radek Bonk. Ottawa's lingering problem will be to find a 1st line C, so Ziba can play where he belongs, on the 2nd line. He is a very popular player, and ends up with an "A" and maybe even a "C". Sens lifer or at least here for 7 years.

Noesen: makes it to the NHL but has to change to a more physical/checking role to stick.

Puempel: stays stuck on the depth chart behind other left-wingers, is traded.

Prince: see Locke.

The others never make it past the AHL.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 01:58 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

I hope everyone realizes that not every prospect will pan out. Some optimistic looking posts in here.

Last edited by CanadianHockey: 07-16-2011 at 02:46 AM.
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:25 AM
the tribute

I've seen a lot of VERY "glass half empty" posts too.

the tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Minister of Offence

In their own mind the Sens got four 1st rounders. That would mean, they got four guys they certainly expect to be NHL players, especially if you trust the work the scouting staff has done since 2008.

It's not crazy to think that 5-6 NHL players will come out of this draft.

Wouldn't be surprised if they expect Claesson to be an NHLer as well.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Anca18

vCash: 1850
Mika Zibanejad: Truly amazing start in the NHL, scoring nearly 70 points. The Jeff Skinner of the draft, and he wins the Calder. Follows up with more great 50-70 point season depending on who he's playing with.

Stefan Noesen: Weak start in the NHL, doesn't make the team his first or second season a lot like Cowen. He dominates the minors for those two season and when he makes the team he'll slot in as a 2nd/3rd line RW, 30-40 point season for him.

Matt Puempel: A lot like Noesen, expect he makes the team after just one season of juniors. He'll slot in at the 3rd line LW for his first season but will be a 2nd line LW by the end and will remain there for years to come, 50+ point season are not out of his reach but I expect 30+ goals and ~10 assists from him, meaning 40 points.

By now, if everyone pans out like so our 2nd line for 2013-14 would look like this: Puempel-Zibanejad-Noesen.

Shane Prince: His strong OHL play carries over, and will always be battling for top 6 minutes although he'll likely land on the 3rd line, somewhere around 30 points isn't out of reach for him. But he could also be the steal of the draft.

Jean-Gabriel Pageau: 1st line center in the AHL, he'll never be able to make the NHL full time but will be the first in line for a call up, could be a good 4th line center if we're ever weak on centers.

Fredrik Claesson: Top 4 AHL d-man, another "what could've been" player.

Darren Kramer: Goon, Cowen will pull for him to be brought up to the NHL but he doesn't have the fight/talent to stay.

Max McCormick: Bust, bottom 6 AHL guy. But boy I hope I'm wrong.

Jordan Fransoo: 6th/7th AHL defenseman.

Ryan Dzingel: Becomes a model/male stripper after a weak hockey career.

Last edited by Anca18: 07-16-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Anca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
2001 Entry
Draft Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
2001 Entry 2 1 Jason Spezza C Windsor Spitfires [OHL] 526 192 340 532 350
2001 Entry 23 1 Tim Gleason D Windsor Spitfires [OHL] 475 14 86 100 470
2001 Entry 81 3 Neil Komadoski D Notre Dame [CCHA]
2001 Entry 99 4 Ray Emery G Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHL] 173 0 3 3 42
2001 Entry 127 4 Christoph Schubert D Munich Barons [DEL] 315 25 47 72 263
2001 Entry 162 5 Stefan Schauer D Riessersee SC [2.GBun]
2001 Entry 193 6 Brooks Laich C Moose Jaw Warriors [WHL] 475 100 137 237 203
2001 Entry 218 7 Jan Platil D Barrie Colts [OHL]
2001 Entry 223 7 Brandon Bochenski R Lincoln Stars [USHL] 156 28 40 68 54
2001 Entry 235 8 Neil Petruic D Kindersley Klippers [SJHL]
2001 Entry 256 8 Gregg Johnson F Boston University [H-East]
2001 Entry 286 9 Toni Dahlman R Ilves Tampere [SM-liiga] 22 1 1 2 0

This 2011 draft is gonna be even better, mark my words. Particulary if you consider the acquisition of Filatov. Well, 2001 is not exceptionnal because Schubert, Emery and Bochenski didn't do enough but still, 5 or 6 NHL players is possible, particulary when you have 3 first round picks and one of the best (if not the best) scouting departments in the NHL.

Personnally, I think Zibanejad, Noesen, Puempel or Prince, Pageau, Claesson, one of Kramer, McCormick or Dzingel make the NHL, not all with the Sens though (limited number of spots) and probably not all for long NHL careers (because many things can happen, see Emery). 6 will play in the NHL at least. In 2001, 7 played in the NHL more than 22 games.

My money is on Zibanejad, Puempel, Pageau and Noesen. In that order

The 2001 draft was one of the best drafts over the past 15 years by any team. I understand that it was our team, but expecting the same thing again is very high expectations.

I know Murray and co. have done a tremendous job, and I am as excited about the recent draft as anyone, but not everything works out as you hope. Players get injured, players get stuck behind other prospects and stagnate, and others just dont have the drive to be great. No one knows where these guys will land, even with all the promise they carry.

I would be ecstatic if any 4 turn into reliable NHLers, and could care less if those 4 come in rounds 4 and on.

Don Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Minister of Offence

Mika Zibanejad: He starts the year in Ottawa. Plays a checking role, people question his upside only because they can't tell because he's just playing a role, he impresses the org, but not the fan base. An injury may thrust him into the spotlight, he does well because MacLean trusts him early. He will be a career Senator and he may wear a letter by the age of 30. His motor and character, along with strong talent make him one of the better two way centers in the league, a 1b center, but ideally not the top line guy.

He will make Jason Spezza a better player, for longer, and they won't play on the same line. He will be one of the players that contributes most to team identity and the way Paul MacLean wants his team to play (he won't stop skating).

Stefan Noesen: He forces a tough decision on him in his 19 year old season, sending him back to Plymouth. A free agent signing and Jakob Silfverberg seal his fate heading back to junior where he becomes our top prospect. He captains Plymouth, becomes a top 6 forward in Ottawa. He will be a fan favourite, many will be angry when a tough decision is made to set him free by the time he's 28.

Matt Puempel: Bounce around the league as multiple teams try and get him to reach the potential every scout knows he has. He'll fail to mesh with the style of play Ottawa plans to play...Ottawa might even get a great deal for him.

Shane Prince: I think of the role that Darren Helm plays. Versatile, hard working, fast.

Jean-Gabriel Pageau: Will fail to make the NHL.

Fredrik Claesson: A #5 defensemen.

Darren Kramer: He'll be an NHLer, just like Nachbaur told Tim Murray he would be (thats my guess).

Not gonna touch the other guys. We'll get 5-6 NHLers out of this draft. It'll be the most productive draft the franchise has ever had, and it will stand for a long time.

Old
07-16-2011, 12:08 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

They're all gonna bust. Prove me wrong.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Freerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Mika Zibanejad: Bust

Stefan Noesen: Bust

Matt Puempel: Bust

Shane Prince: Bust

Jean-Gabriel Pageau: Bust

Fredrik Claesson: Bust

Darren Kramer: Bust

Max McCormick: Bust

Jordan Fransoo: ****ing All-Star

Ryan Dzingel: Bust
Awesome

Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Bueller

If Zibanejad, Noesen and two of Filatov, Puempel, Prince and Pageau make it (which I don't think is THAT unrealistic), then I'll be absolutely ecstatic with the draft. If one of the later-round picks can eventually step in as a third-pairing d-man or 4th liner (most likely Claesson or Kramer), then all the better.

As it stands, I see Zibanejad falling somewhere in between Kesler and Fisher as our 2nd-line centre, Noesen as a 2nd/3rd line winger and either Filatov or Puempel sticking with Ottawa as a top 6 sniper.

Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
In their own mind the Sens got four 1st rounders. That would mean, they got four guys they certainly expect to be NHL players, especially if you trust the work the scouting staff has done since 2008.

This.

It's funny how people on this board are "scared" to be optimistic or something like that? Who cares? If not everything pans out as expected, just move to something else, you won't die because of it. The disappointment can be overcomed.

Life is too short to be scared or disappointed by anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The 2001 draft was one of the best drafts over the past 15 years by any team. I understand that it was our team, but expecting the same thing again is very high expectations.
Outside of Spezza who was a 2nd overall pick, nothing exceptional there. Gleason is a quality D-man and Laich is a quality 2nd liner, but after that... Emery has 1 good season.
Schubert and Bochenski are out of the league.

Quote:
I know Murray and co. have done a tremendous job, and I am as excited about the recent draft as anyone, but not everything works out as you hope. Players get injured, players get stuck behind other prospects and stagnate, and others just dont have the drive to be great. No one knows where these guys will land, even with all the promise they carry.

I would be ecstatic if any 4 turn into reliable NHLers, and could care less if those 4 come in rounds 4 and on.
Murray and his staff knew that this draft was pivotal for the franchise and it showed : they really put some awesome work into it. I never tought we could have gotten all that potential in 1 draft. I knew they were good but this time, they just did something amazing

Zibanejad, Puempel and Noesen : 3 first round picks that they are very high on
Filatov : another 1st round pick (6th overall 3 years ago) with tremendous skill and potential
Prince and Pageau : Could have went higher in this draft. Nothing is certain with them and the lock on them is mostly about size, but that can be overcomed
Claesson : Dunno much about him yet but apparently it looks like a much better pick than it appeared a few weeks ago

The 4 others, I don't care much but probably 1 one of them will play in the NHL (I think Kramer or McCormick have the best chances)

But on the 7 guys listed higher, I wouldn't be surprised at all if 4-5 become NHL regulars. 4 of them are 1st rounders and the Sens do not have the habit of busting first round picks (at least not anymore)

I didn't say they will all do it with the Sens, and I didn't say they will have long prolific NHL careers, if that's what you're worried about. Read again :

Quote:
This 2011 draft is gonna be even better, mark my words. Particulary if you consider the acquisition of Filatov. Well, 2001 is not exceptionnal because Schubert, Emery and Bochenski didn't do enough but still, 5 or 6 NHL players is possible, particulary when you have 3 first round picks and one of the best (if not the best) scouting departments in the NHL.

Personnally, I think Zibanejad, Noesen, Puempel or Prince, Pageau, Claesson, one of Kramer, McCormick or Dzingel make the NHL, not all with the Sens though (limited number of spots) and probably not all for long NHL careers (because many things can happen, see Emery). 6 will play in the NHL at least. In 2001, 7 played in the NHL more than 22 games.

My money is on Zibanejad, Puempel, Pageau and Noesen. In that order
If you read again, see that we agree on those points.

For now, it seems Zibanejad and Noesen are locks to play in the NHL and soon. We just don't know what kind iof impact they can have. Puempel, Pageau and Prince, I hope at least 1 become a key contributor, but I doubt there will be 2 spots available for them in long-term plans

We will see anyway, this thread is about it

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Orange Thunder

Zibanejad - Has solid career, becomes a Mike Fisher like centre, getting 50 points and providing steady defensive abilities.

Noesen - Plays top six minutes, ends up a 45-50 point forward who scores 20-25 goals per year.

Puempel - Will become sniper, hitting 35 goals once, the rest of the seasons hitting between 20 and 30.

Prince - Will become 2nd/3rd line centre, getting 40-45 pojnts per year.

Pageau - AHL Star, can't make NHL.

Claesson - Solid SEL career.

Kramer - Goon.

The rest start a buisness centered around riverboat gambling trips every weekend of the summer with their own fantasy pool.

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:02 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Mika Zibanejad: Becomes a 60-70 point guy while playing a Ryan Kesler type game.

Stefan Noesen: Becomes a great third liner with the ability to play on the second line if need be. Constantly produces within the 40-50 point range per season over his career.

Matt Puempel: Becomes a solid second liner producing an average of 55-60 points a season.

Shane Prince: Becomes a solid second liner producing up to 60 points a season in his prime.

Jean-Gabriel Pageau: Becomes a solid third liner.

Fredrik Claesson: Career minor leaguer.

Darren Kramer: Fourth line goon and a fan favourite.

Max McCormick: Career minor leaguer.

Jordan Fransoo: Becomes a solid bottom pairing d-man.

Ryan Dzingel: Becomes a third/fourth liner at the NHL.

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Minister of Offence

Xspyrit, it is only cool to be pessimistic and wrong, because atleast you cant be wrong AND a homer.

If zbad tops out like mike fisher, then something went wrong. Looking at his character, the way he speaks confidently, I doubt he'll have issues pushing his potential.

Old
07-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Xspyrit, it is only cool to be pessimistic and wrong, because atleast you cant be wrong AND a homer.

If zbad tops out like mike fisher, then something went wrong. Looking at his character, the way he speaks confidently, I doubt he'll have issues pushing his potential.
Ya i hear you. Since I have no time to care about what people think and society standards (which is a total mess if you want my opinion), I guess I'm not cool. My approach is to try to be optimistic and realistic at the same time. Some things DO end up well but reality do bring a lot of issues. When you think it's "only for the others", nothing good happens.

Anyway, I am not good at making clear predictions, but I do think we got plural future NHL players in that draft. People try to be conservative and lower their expectations to not be disappointed but I'm sure they will be pleasantly surprised. I guess it's just an emotional strategy to not be hurt

If you think getting 7 NHL players out of that draft is ridiculous, thinking we will only get 2 or 3 is as ridiculous IMO (When you include Prince, Sens brass got 4 guys of their top-30 + Filatov. And Pageau is a very good pick too). The reality will probably end up in between, which is 4-5

My prediction (since that's the thread) :

- at least 4 of those prospects play in 200 NHL games or more.
- at least 5 of those prospects play in 100 NHL games or more.
- at least 6 of those prospects play in 1 NHL games or more.
- 3 of them are Top-9 forwards for the Sens and another is a Top-9 forward for another team

Personnally, I think it will end up as one of the best Sens draft ever, but 2008 and 2009 are very good drafts too. And of course, the classics of Spezza's and Alfie's draft years. Many other good/decent drafts too where we got 2 or 3 quality NHL players.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 07-20-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Karlssonlee

Claesson will be the best value of the draft.

He will be like: Teppo Numminem

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Mika Zibanejad: Swedish Patrick Marleau

Stefan Noesen: Solid tweener

Matt Puempel: 25-30 goal scorer

Shane Prince: 50-60 point second line center(think Derek Roy)

Jean-Gabriel Pageau: Could make it as a third liner

Fredrik Claesson: 6th-7th D-man

Darren Kramer: 3rd-4th liner

Max McCormick: no idea

Jordan Fransoo: no idea

Ryan Dzingel: no idea

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Hale The Villain

Zibanejad - becomes a 50-60P 2nd line two-way center, much like Fisher but with a brain and hands so we don't feel bad that he's being counted on as a top 6 forward.

I'm not going to bother with the rest.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:33 PM
The Flower
Feel Aflie's Wrath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
Claesson will be the best value of the draft.

He will be like: Teppo Numminem
I hope this turns out to be true. Initially I was pretty upset because I wanted the Murrays to pick up Max Friberg for pick #126, but then I saw Claesson at the Development Camp and was really impressed by his passing abilities, angles, and his overall strength on the puck. I have my fingers crossed for an Anton Volchenkov type player with better hands.

The Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:33 PM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

Mika Zibanejad: Shows much promise in the 2011 preseason camp. After Zibanejad is promoted to second line center, Peter Regin and Stefan Da Costa break his legs out of jealousy before the all star break. Missing the rest of the 2011 season, he recovers physically but is emotionally crushed. Becomes the Senators permanent stick boy.

Stefan Noesen: Finishing up another respectable season in Plymouth, Noesen has an epiphany forcing him to leave his team and the Ottawa Senators organization. Noesen returns to Plano, Texas, to "play a real man's sport, like football". Noesen fakes his age in order to enter Plano Senior High School as 19 year-old freshman. He spends his four years there as the second string quarterback.

Matt Puempel: In his breakout third year in the AHL, a random drug test reveals Puempel has been taking performance enhancing drugs. Puempel is forced to move to the KHL, the high point of his career breaking the KHL's "Best Plus-Minus in One Season" record.

Shane Prince: Growing three inches and gaining 30 pounds, Prince becomes an explosive presence in the NHL. Winning three Stanley Cup championships with the Senators, Prince's career takes a turn for the worst as he goes through a crushing divorce. A year after, Prince gains UFA status but his quarter-life crisis forces him into retirement. Years later, he becomes the new host of Battle of the Blades when Ron Maclean suffers his untimely death due to auto-erotic asphyxiation

Jean-Gabriel Pageau: Career NHL 2nd liner

Fredrik Claesson: Playing in the 2014 olympics, the Swedish Hockey Team is victim of a team-wide prostitution scandal, with Claesson at the head of it. An international embarassment, Claesson will never regain his spot in the NHL or SEL despite his immense skill and poise. Plays out the rest of his career with Monir Khalgoum (Zibanejad's half brother) and the Milton Keynes Lightning in the EPL.

Darren Kramer: Has a generally lackluster career, never making it above the 3rd line in Binghamton. In a visiting game, enters an argument with a fan while in the penalty box. Is banned from the league after climbing over the penalty box glass and physically abusing the fan. Many people remember hearing racial slurs, but no one can confirm it was Kramer who said them. Kramer begins a career in standup, and continues to live comfortably with his wife and two cats, Jerry and Elaine.

Max McCormick: Scores 5 goals in his first three AHL games, followed by 6 game point-less streak and -5 rating. His season continues to be up and down but he remains unfazed and develops a reputation in Bingo as a hard worker. His uncle is eventually caught for match fixing and forcing his nephew to throw certain games. Following his hockey career, McCormick gets promoted to lieutenant in the McCormick crime family and rules the streets of De Pere, Wisconsin.

Jordan Fransoo: Develops a crippling addiction to sniffing paint. Sets a record as the most accomplished person to ever appear on an episode of Intervention. After years of finally being clean, Fransoo makes an attempt at cracking the Sens roster once again, only to discover that he chose to make his return right before an unforeseeable lockout season.

Ryan Dzingel: Becomes a permanent fixture on Spezza's line, winning the Art Ross once. Stays with the Senators for most of his career, but is signed to the new Atlanta team for the last two years of his career. Leads his team to the conference finals once and the Stanley cup finals the following year, but loses in both. Becomes the Senator's official USHL scout.

Unlikely scenarios, but if any of them hit I'm a genius.

SevenOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:45 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:

Based on past drafts with this scouting department I expect that 50% of the 2011 draftees to make it to the NHL at some point. I expect that Zibanejad, Filatov, Noesen, Puemple, Kramer & Prince to be NHL regulars & maybe Claesson. I think that Fransoo, McCormick & Dzingel to all make it to the AHL & be bubble players. I expect that Pageau will be like Cory Locke & spend his whole career in the AHL. While every small player is compared to St Louis there are very few of them that make it to the NHL, I hope he is one of the rare ones but who knows. I see that I'm the only one who thinks Kramer will make it, I love the tough guys.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Zibby for zure.

Fenix Rises 2026 is online now   Reply With Quote