HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Persson and Turnbull signed

Old
07-16-2011, 12:04 AM
WoahBoy
Uhmmmmm....SECHS!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgn View Post
Odd that McCauley didn't accept.
When I talked to his mom last spring at a game in Worcester she said that he just bought his first house in Portland. Methinks he doesn't want to leave the area and might try for a direct contract with the Pirates or try to work something out with Phoenix (that's the new parent, right?)

WoahBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoahBoy View Post
When I talked to his mom last spring at a game in Worcester she said that he just bought his first house in Portland. Methinks he doesn't want to leave the area and might try for a direct contract with the Pirates or try to work something out with Phoenix (that's the new parent, right?)
Someone tell him to get a good rental agent and keep it. With Conboy out, he becomes the "vet" bullet-catcher in the lineup. As much as Foligno and Kassian need to get into it with their peers, it's nice to have someone around who's tossed the mitts more than a few times at that level even if he's not a true heavyweight. They're probably going to miss Conboy being around for that sort of thing..

07-16-2011, 12:23 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoahBoy View Post
He was qualified by the Sabres, so they still own his rights.
He can request a trade, but he either has to sign with the Sabres or not play in North America.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:44 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
He was qualified by the Sabres, so they still own his rights.
He can request a trade, but he either has to sign with the Sabres or not play in North America.
Or sign an offer sheet (I'm sure it would be the "no compensation" variety since it would be a small amount), although I'm not sure any team would want to give him enough to cause the Sabres not to match.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 10:45 PM
jfb392

Looks like both took the minimum NHL salary and higher AHL salary instead of their qualifying offers, much like Mike Weber last season. (Edit: upon further examination, he took the same AHL salary and a paycut at the NHL level, but he didn't take his QO either.)

Persson details
Turnbull details

Persson now becomes incredibly useful as depth because of his cap hit being 215k less than excepted, which makes him our lowest paid defenseman.

Last edited by jfb392: 07-16-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old
07-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Persson now becomes incredibly useful as depth because of his cap hit being 215k less than excepted, which makes him our lowest paid defenseman.
All that being said, he's still arguably 4th on the depth chart in terms of call-ups. Yes, Morrisonn likely won't be around come pre-season/regular season time which bumps him up a peg. However, guys like Biega and Crawford could leapfrog him this season, not to mention McNabb will also be in the equation.

1-6
7-Morrisonn
8-Gragnani
9-Schiestel
10-Brennan
11-Persson

I haven't given up on him just yet. I still think he could be an NHL'er at some point. However, I believe he's in the wrong place at the wrong time being surrounded by a ton of solid D prospects with another one coming in next season in Pysyk.

Persson's really got to step it up this season to keep himself in the picture IMO.

Vito_81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 06:03 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
All that being said, he's still arguably 4th on the depth chart in terms of call-ups. Yes, Morrisonn likely won't be around come pre-season/regular season time which bumps him up a peg. However, guys like Biega and Crawford could leapfrog him this season, not to mention McNabb will also be in the equation.

1-6
7-Morrisonn
8-Gragnani
9-Schiestel
10-Brennan
11-Persson

I haven't given up on him just yet. I still think he could be an NHL'er at some point. However, I believe he's in the wrong place at the wrong time being surrounded by a ton of solid D prospects with another one coming in next season in Pysyk.

Persson's really got to step it up this season to keep himself in the picture IMO.
I believe Gragnani will be 7th and that Morrisonn won't even be an option because of his salary and his remarks about wanting out or whatever, so need to waste any cap space on him (hopefully).
It'd be nice if they could flip him for a cheaper depth defenseman or something.

Schiestel is the better prospect, yes, but he's coming off a knee injury, so he probably won't be NHL-ready for a couple months at least.
Brennan probably would have been the call up during the playoffs instead of Persson if he wasn't injured, but he's had his issues too and he costs more than Persson.

So yes, I believe he is the #1 or #2 call up option, depending on our cap situation, because of his low cap hit and the confidence that was shown in him by the Sabres, even if it was because of injuries.
He is not a better option than most of the players you mentioned long-term, but he's incredibly useful in the short-term.

Old
07-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Persson seemed to rapidly ascend this year in Portland. Him being called up signifies that he made progress, and the staff has said as much. Interested to see if he gets injury looks.
Well, the primary reason he was the one called up was that Schiestel and Brennan were injured, and MAG was already in Buffalo. Pickings were slim at that point.

Quote:
Schiestel is the better prospect, yes, but he's coming off a knee injury, so he probably won't be NHL-ready for a couple months at least.
Brennan probably would have been the call up during the playoffs instead of Persson if he wasn't injured, but he's had his issues too and he costs more than Persson.

So yes, I believe he is the #1 or #2 call up option, depending on our cap situation, because of his low cap hit and the confidence that was shown in him by the Sabres, even if it was because of injuries.
He is not a better option than most of the players you mentioned long-term, but he's incredibly useful in the short-term.
I agree with you. This was, in part, a tactical move by Persson and his agent. They were aware that every dollar will matter because of how close we're going to be to the cap. Essentially, he's undercutting Schiestel and Brennan--both of whom are better prospects--so that he could possibly be the season's first defensive recall. It's not a guarantor that he'll remain up even if he's playing poorly, but it likely does buy him at least one opportunity, and that may have been all he's looking for: an opportunity.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote