HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

#1 Defenseman (LH or Left Side) to the Blues

Old
07-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I'd consider moving Edler for Backes and Pietrangelo. That may be a lateral move for the Blues though, I'm not sure if that's the type of deal they would bother doing.

I'm sure you would

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:59 PM
My Sweet Shadow

vCash: 500
Quote:
I'd consider moving Edler for Backes and Pietrangelo. That may be a lateral move for the Blues though, I'm not sure if that's the type of deal they would bother doing.
Edler's career high in points is less than Pietrangelo's rookie season output. Pietrangelo was a +18 on a team that was +6 whereas Edler was a +13 (career high) on a team that was +77.

Backes has scored 30+ goals twice in the last 3 years and he's been top 20 in the league in hits in each of the last 4 seasons (5th most in two of those years). Not to mention he was a +32 last season when, again, his team was only collectively +6.

I don't imagine there's many that wouldn't consider moving Edler for Pietrangelo and Backes.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:03 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaw88 View Post
The Blues need a top pairing LH d-man to match up with Pietrangelo. Because our left defense looks kinda weak, we need someone who can play top pairing minutes. Because we also have a surplus of mediocre LH d-man, one has to go back in a package for one (either Jackman or Coliaicovo ++ for a d-man).

Who's available? What would you want? I understand you have to give to get, and I'd be willing to do that. However, I know the Blues aren't in a position to grossly overpay either.

So, tell me. What's it take?
figure it out -- you will need to grossly overpay for a #1 dman.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:25 PM
danglzzz

Quote:
Your insane. This makes my above Edler propsal look foolish. If you can get a signed Suter for Backes, you do it. Suter is a legit #1 dman who by many accounts is better than Weber, if I'm the Blues I take that and run. There's no way Nashville does this trade though, in my eyes the value is far off.
That's because it is. Wouldn't trade Edler for Petro straight up, honestly just comical.

danglzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:37 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Your insane. This makes my above Edler propsal look foolish. If you can get a signed Suter for Backes, you do it. Suter is a legit #1 dman who by many accounts is better than Weber, if I'm the Blues I take that and run. There's no way Nashville does this trade though, in my eyes the value is far off.
Backes and Petro for Edler? I'm the insane one?

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:42 PM
dm1371

Spacek

dm1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
Edler's career high in points is less than Pietrangelo's rookie season output. Pietrangelo was a +18 on a team that was +6 whereas Edler was a +13 (career high) on a team that was +77.

Backes has scored 30+ goals twice in the last 3 years and he's been top 20 in the league in hits in each of the last 4 seasons (5th most in two of those years). Not to mention he was a +32 last season when, again, his team was only collectively +6.

I don't imagine there's many that wouldn't consider moving Edler for Pietrangelo and Backes.
Pietrangelo had a good year, but he isn't worth or as good as Edler. Edler was on pace for 50 pts this season before his injury, and is both better defensively and physically when compared to Pietrangelo. Granted, maybe not worth adding Backes, but another roster player would need to be added to scale the value. But since some people say they wouldn't want to move Pietrangelo for Edler straight across, its a moot point.

Suter for Backes is crazy. Suter is a top 10 dman in the league, possibly top 5. To trade a signed Suter for Backes straight across would be insanity on Nashvilles part.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:14 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I think most Blues fans will be perfectly content to keep Pietro. Edler is a great player, but Pietro's ceiling is high enough, and he's showing strong indications of getting there, that I don't see any trade offer for him that is going to look appealing.

The Blues already made their choice. They traded EJ and kept Pietro. Trading one of them, makes the other one untouchable.

As a Blues fan, I recognize that Cola is going to be playing over his head on the first pairing. But I'd rather the team just go into the season doing the best they can with that, getting Cole ready for that role in the future, and NOT trading off any roster players or promising prospects. If they were one piece from being legit Cup contenders, I'd make that type of trade...but that doesn't appear to be the situation this year.

I really think Armstrong is done with the dealing for a while. I think this roster goes into camp, and then we'll see what kind of young team comes out.

Finally, Brewer so obviously fills the exact hole the team currently has, that its clear to me he was moved for reasons other than on-ice considerations. He was team captain. I think Armstrong (+/- Payne) wanted to change the team leadership. As much as Brewer was a whipping boy, he was solid this past season and would likely have been a good pairing for Pietro. I'm sure the cost of his next contract was part of the deal, but I think it went beyond that.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:41 AM
phlocky

While I don't think there is any REAL possibility of the flyers trading him, Braydon Coburn comes to mind. He's a lefty, big (6'5", 220 lbs), a very good skater, really good passer, not much of a shot, a defensive dman, can carry the puck out of the zone, is NOT a #1 dman but can play the complimentary role on the top pairing with some who leads the pairing (he's just not a "take charge" kind of guy who you can count on to lead the pairing).

If I were the Flyers I'd consider moving him and something around Tarasenko (preferd becasue we NEED RW's) or Grachev could work for us. We'd have to go out and aquire another dman but I think I'd make a real push to get Suter after this deal.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:58 AM
rlaw88
You've been Oshied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
While I don't think there is any REAL possibility of the flyers trading him, Braydon Coburn comes to mind. He's a lefty, big (6'5", 220 lbs), a very good skater, really good passer, not much of a shot, a defensive dman, can carry the puck out of the zone, is NOT a #1 dman but can play the complimentary role on the top pairing with some who leads the pairing (he's just not a "take charge" kind of guy who you can count on to lead the pairing).

If I were the Flyers I'd consider moving him and something around Tarasenko (preferd becasue we NEED RW's) or Grachev could work for us. We'd have to go out and aquire another dman but I think I'd make a real push to get Suter after this deal.
There's been a general consensus among Blues fans that Coburn would be a nice fit--but he's one we're hesitant to overpay for. We seem to have a surplus of right wingers (or, at least, guys who can play RW), so I don't think that's unreasonable--might even make us ideal trading partners. Stl fans, what do you say? What would you be willing to ship out for Coburn?

rlaw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:23 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
There's been a general consensus among Blues fans that Coburn would be a nice fit--but he's one we're hesitant to overpay for. We seem to have a surplus of right wingers (or, at least, guys who can play RW), so I don't think that's unreasonable--might even make us ideal trading partners. Stl fans, what do you say? What would you be willing to ship out for Coburn?
While I view Couburn as an ideal partner for Pietrangelo, with Couburn only locked in for one more year I wouldn't give up too much.

Cole, Grachev, 2012 3rd? I'm not real good at trade proposals, I usually give too much, so this time maybe I under did it.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:31 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
While I view Couburn as an ideal partner for Pietrangelo, with Couburn only locked in for one more year I wouldn't give up too much.

Cole, Grachev, 2012 3rd? I'm not real good at trade proposals, I usually give too much, so this time maybe I under did it.
If you guys offered up Grav plus Cole I'd jump all over that. I think that Grav will be a quality top 6 forward and Cole could become a quality 2nd pairing dman. I know that I'd personally do Coburn for Tara straight up but I doubt that our GM woud. If we could get Cole along with Grav I think even they would part with Coburn.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:01 AM
rlaw88
You've been Oshied!

Quote:
If you guys offered up Grav plus Cole I'd jump all over that. I think that Grav will be a quality top 6 forward and Cole could become a quality 2nd pairing dman. I know that I'd personally do Coburn for Tara straight up but I doubt that our GM woud. If we could get Cole along with Grav I think even they would part with Coburn.
So...

Cole
Grachev

for

Coburn?

Sweet. Where do we sign?

rlaw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:50 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Sorry we won't be trading Tank for Coburn, he is the savior.

Old
07-18-2011, 08:18 AM
BigHabs

What would the Blues offer up for Josh Gorges?

Could a deal around this: work?

Steen

for

Gorges

pieces can be added.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:23 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
So...

Cole
Grachev

for

Coburn?

Sweet. Where do we sign?
Dam, Leafs fan, but this is a good deal for both teams, could easily see Pietro and Coburn being a great top pairing. Good stuff Gentlemen

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:23 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
What would the Blues offer up for Josh Gorges?

Could a deal around this: work?

Steen

for

Gorges

pieces can be added.
I really don't think management would be interested in trading Steen, as he does everything on the ice and he is a leader in the locker room.

Old
07-18-2011, 08:28 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I really don't think management would be interested in trading Steen, as he does everything on the ice and he is a leader in the locker room.
Just like Gorges is for the Habs. Just trying to help both teams needs dman for a forward with some size and plays hard for a dman who is the exact type of player but on the backend. Offense is different because it is a dman for forward.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:39 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
So you're saying Coburn is worth Cole and a 3rd round pick?

Old
07-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Zip15

He doesn't have the HF name recognition quality, and he's certainly not a first-pairing defenseman yet, but Andrej Sekera could be someone St. Louis looks at. Looking at quality of competition, only Tyler Myers played more difficult minutes at ES than Sekera, which makes his +11 look even better. And he finally started displaying the offensive flair that many thought he had but was dormant until the final quarter of last season when he scored 17 pts (2 G, 15 A), 15 of which were at ES, in his final 20 regular season games (he got hurt just before the postseason, so he only played two postseason games). He can play all three phases, as well, averaging around 2 mins/game on both the PP and PK.

The only reason he'd be available is because of what's happened for Buffalo this offseason. Money is a bit tight right now. Presuming Kotalik and Morrisonn won't spend a day on the NHL roster, either because they're in Rochester or have been moved prior to the season, the Sabres have already spent $58.9m in cap dollars. And they still have to sign Sekera, Enroth, Gragnani, and a 13th forward--and they'd like to build in a $2m buffer for callups and a deadline addition. Because of the contracts given to guys like Sbisa and Smid, Sekera is looking at getting a deal in the $2.75-$3m range. Buffalo may decide that they can withstand his loss--Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff, and Leopold would still be a solid top-4--given the current composition of the roster, as well as the defensive prospects they have on the way in Pysyk, Schiestel, Brennan, and McNabb.

As far as what they would want in exchange from the Blues, I'm sure Regier would ask for one of their many forwards. Sekera couldn't pull back the likes of Oshie or Berglund--at least not without Buffalo throwing in a 1st rounder, and that won't happen--and we don't need wings, so I could see the Sabres pursuing Phil McRae. Something like McRae + 3rd in 2012 for Sekera.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:38 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He doesn't have the HF name recognition quality, and he's certainly not a first-pairing defenseman yet, but Andrej Sekera could be someone St. Louis looks at. Looking at quality of competition, only Tyler Myers played more difficult minutes at ES than Sekera, which makes his +11 look even better. And he finally started displaying the offensive flair that many thought he had but was dormant until the final quarter of last season when he scored 17 pts (2 G, 15 A), 15 of which were at ES, in his final 20 regular season games (he got hurt just before the postseason, so he only played two postseason games). He can play all three phases, as well, averaging around 2 mins/game on both the PP and PK.

The only reason he'd be available is because of what's happened for Buffalo this offseason. Money is a bit tight right now. Presuming Kotalik and Morrisonn won't spend a day on the NHL roster, either because they're in Rochester or have been moved prior to the season, the Sabres have already spent $58.9m in cap dollars. And they still have to sign Sekera, Enroth, Gragnani, and a 13th forward--and they'd like to build in a $2m buffer for callups and a deadline addition. Because of the contracts given to guys like Sbisa and Smid, Sekera is looking at getting a deal in the $2.75-$3m range. Buffalo may decide that they can withstand his loss--Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff, and Leopold would still be a solid top-4--given the current composition of the roster, as well as the defensive prospects they have on the way in Pysyk, Schiestel, Brennan, and McNabb.

As far as what they would want in exchange from the Blues, I'm sure Regier would ask for one of their many forwards. Sekera couldn't pull back the likes of Oshie or Berglund--at least not without Buffalo throwing in a 1st rounder, and that won't happen--and we don't need wings, so I could see the Sabres pursuing Phil McRae. Something like McRae + 3rd in 2012 for Sekera.
Why would we trade for Sekera when we can just sign him for free. I see no way that Buffalo will be able to accept his arbitration award.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
Why would we trade for Sekera when we can just sign him for free. I see no way that Buffalo will be able to accept his arbitration award.
Serious question? For starters, he's then under your control and you merely have to meet his contract demands or accept the arbitration award. On the other hand, if the Sabres elect not match, you're competing with 28 other teams--realistically, it's more like 5-10--for his services. Thus, there's an element of risk in that approach.

Secondly, Buffalo would be able to accept his arbitration award. The question is whether they'll want his arbitration award given their current crop of top-4 defensemen (Myers, Regehr, Ehrhoff, Leopold), potential third-pairing of Weber-Gragnani (more than adequate given their respective special teams prowess), near-NHL-ready defensemen playing in the AHL (Schiestel, Brennan), and very solid WHL'ers who may be NHL-ready sooner rather than later (Pysyk, McNabb). And if we really wanted to keep Sekera, we could easily ship off Boyes. The only issue will be whether the award--and Regier has intimated that a deal will likely get done before arbitration--makes sense for the Sabres given their current roster.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:08 PM
deckercky

Timonen from the Flyers makes sense to me as an outsider, assuming the teams can agree on a price. Timonen's play is on the decline, but his salary isn't bad. His cap hit on the other hand is something that's handcuffing the Flyers. With the youth movement the Flyers have, I wouldn't be surprised to see Timonen moved. If not, I wouldn't be surprised to see him bought out before next year for a minimal cap hit.

Gives Pietro a dependable veteran as his partner at a low salary while the Flyers clear cap space and add some youth (assuming a strong prospect + high pick is the price range for Timonen).

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:33 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Pietrangelo had a good year, but he isn't worth or as good as Edler. Edler was on pace for 50 pts this season before his injury, and is both better defensively and physically when compared to Pietrangelo. Granted, maybe not worth adding Backes, but another roster player would need to be added to scale the value. But since some people say they wouldn't want to move Pietrangelo for Edler straight across, its a moot point.

Suter for Backes is crazy. Suter is a top 10 dman in the league, possibly top 5. To trade a signed Suter for Backes straight across would be insanity on Nashvilles part.
Honestly, how the hell would you know, did you watch Pietrangelo at all or just naively think being on the top team in hockey doesn't inflate young players stats and they wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of repeating them if they were the #1 on a team that didn't have a pair of 100pt forwards.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:48 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
lol i bet you would

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote