HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part III

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2011, 07:04 PM
dipsy doodle doo
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part III

Chevy and the ownership are trying to keep the team salary low for the first couple years I think. The vets they are bringing in all have a single season left on their contracts (or were signed to 1 year deals).

There are already 6 defensemen with cap hits over a million bucks and then theres Meech as a competent #7 guy.

I think Bogosian will be moved for picks as Chevy and co try to build the team through the draft. Perhaps Bogo will fetch them a veteran forward along with a draft pick or two.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

After witnessing Hartford trade a young Chris Pronger to St. Louis, I would be very, very hesitant to trade Bogosian.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:08 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1000
I totally disagree with the whole post. You wouldnt trade a blue chip prospect to acquire other prospects with likely less high ceilings. Bogo is the youth we potentially wanna build around. I'm not gonna go much futher because I'm pretty much dismissing the whole idea (in the most respectful way possible). If it happens I will eat my words.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Chevy has already stated that Bogosian is a piece they're going to build around.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...125063124.html

Quote:
"Bogosian, for me, is someone that I hope to build our defence around," Cheveldayoff added. "In this game there are never any certainties, but what is certain is he is a 21-year-old defenceman that was drafted very, very high with lots of talent. For our organization, I hope he's someone that's here for a long, long time."
You hear alot of people who have been underwhelmed by his play and maddened by his inconsistency to date, but IMO it's still way too early to consider trading him. I could see him as a piece in blockbuster deal, but not in a veteran + draft picks deal, that just wouldn't make sense.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 1252
Getting rid of Bogosian right now would be selling low. That is exactly what a GM should always avoid. All the bad deals that have been seen are from teams desperate to get the cup or are pressed against the cap. We have nothing to lose with keeping Bogosian.

If he doesn't work out? Oh well. Losing a 1st rounder always blows, but as far as Bogosian goes he'll always at the very least develop to play a bottom pairing game, seeing as how strong he is physically.

If we trade him away we have everything to lose. We could potentially lose a very very good defenseman, which are one of the hardest things to acquire in this sport.

What could someone possibly trade us that would make it worth our time? Other GM's would be looking at him the same as us in the "maybe he'll work out" factor. They won't pay high for him. They'll pay mid-range and if he works out they get a downright steal. If he doesn't work out on another team Winnipeg breaks even. Why would Chevy possibly want to do that?

Old
07-08-2011, 07:19 PM
MrWigglez

IF they do trade him it wont be before the season starts. They're gonna want a chance to see him play/develop and take it from there.

Old
07-08-2011, 07:55 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I totally disagree with the whole post. You wouldnt trade a blue chip prospect to acquire other prospects with likely less high ceilings. Bogo is the youth we potentially wanna build around. I'm not gonna go much futher because I'm pretty much dismissing the whole idea (in the most respectful way possible). If it happens I will eat my words.
^ This. Exactly. Bogosian won't get dealth for more picks. The chatter the last few days from Chevy and the team about Bogo backs this up.

Old
07-08-2011, 08:07 PM
SCP Guy

Unless we get an offer that is crazy silly I see no reason to trade him at this point in his development.....we are a young team that is 3 years away and so is he

Old
07-08-2011, 11:02 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

not many players will benefit more from the relocation than Zack. the frustration from many of the wise posters from Atlanta is palatable when it comes to Zack.....i am not sure if the home crowd got on him in Atlanta but i have been in buildings where that happens with young struggling highly touted prospects and it can get ugly and shatter a kids confidence.

Zack now strolls into town and the reset button is hit. his GM is fully backing him and our crowd may know of his struggles but won't have witnessed it first hand so he gets a crowd with no baggage and modest expectations. He probably has at least 1 season of grace. not saying Winnipeg isn't a tough town but we haven't witnessed the blooper real while watching Drew in LA light it up. most of us get that he might take a few more years

I would love it if they picked up a very steady veteran defensman with a couple of seasons left that they could pair him with....someone to cover his a55 on the ice then be in his ear coaching him on the bench after every shift.

I am looking forward to seeing the kid develop over the next 2 to 3 years.....here's to new beginnings!!

Old
07-08-2011, 11:07 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Chevy has already stated that Bogosian is a piece they're going to build around.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...125063124.html

You hear alot of people who have been underwhelmed by his play and maddened by his inconsistency to date, but IMO it's still way too early to consider trading him. I could see him as a piece in blockbuster deal, but not in a veteran + draft picks deal, that just wouldn't make sense.
Chevy's quote really should quell all speculation until they have completed negotiations. I am unsure how anyone can speculate that Bogs is being considered as a trade based on the words of the only person who has control over his immediate future.

Old
07-08-2011, 11:31 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I think they're preparing to bring Byfuglien back to forward (which is where he was when Cheveldayoff with still with the Hawks).

Bogosian moves up to the top pairing with Enstrom, Stuart/Hainsey/Oduya make up the #3-#5 and Jones becomes the new #6.

Old
07-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
I think they're preparing to bring Byfuglien back to forward (which is where he was when Cheveldayoff with still with the Hawks).

Bogosian moves up to the top pairing with Enstrom, Stuart/Hainsey/Oduya make up the #3-#5 and Jones becomes the new #6.
That's quite possible. I think it will be interesting to see what the team does here. Byfuglien at forward would really add to solidifying the top 9.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Burmistrov - Fehr
Stillman - Antropov - Byfuglien
Rypien/Glass - Slater - Thorburn

Enstrom - Bogosian
Hainsey - Oduya
Stuart - Jones
Meech

Pavelec
Mason

Not bad. I inserted a veteran playmaker in Stillman to give us some scoring depth on the 3rd line. Just as an example here, I think it rounds things out pretty nicely. I watched Stillman finish off last season in Carolina, and he can still play and is a very swift playmaker. I think he may be a decent fit here with the young team we have.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Zach isn't just bad, he's one of the worst defensemen in the NHL, with shockingly bad plus/minus stats. He's young, agreed...but I've seen him consistently make the kind of basic errors that nobody in pro hockey (at any level) should be making. Remember that he went to great hockey schools and is from a very athletic family and was even coached by Ray Bourque and STILL is suckered every time to follow a forward up the boards leaving the slot defenseless. Every time! There is something really REALLY wrong with this kid mentally as a defenseman.

If I'm not mistaken, he was originally a forward growing up, and does have fantastic offensive ability. Maybe make a line of Bogosian-Burmistrov-Byfuglien (The Triple Bs) and call it a day.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Qorvus

I think Huddy was brought in specifically with an eye towards helping Bogosian develop properly.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
I do not believe the Jets will move Byfuglien to F. In fact, I think that Dustin signed the contract he did because he believed he would be a defenceman. Of course, he didn't sign it with this ownership/ management, but you really don't want to have an unhappy Buff on your team.

There is absolutely no way that Bogosian gets traded. None. Especially if you think it will be for picks.

The only way you trade Bogosian is if it is for an elite scorer signed to a longer term contract at good dollars. It just won't happen.

They hired Huddy for Bogosian, for Byfuglien. These two will most benefit from his tutelage. Jones and Oduya will really be helped by him too.

Meech is a minor league signing, in my mind. A guy who can come and fill in for injuries etc.

07-09-2011, 12:55 AM
saskganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qorvus View Post
I think Huddy was brought in specifically with an eye towards helping Bogosian develop properly.
hmm. Huddy was a plus/minus king once, for those who count that way.

Old
07-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Bongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
not many players will benefit more from the relocation than Zack. the frustration from many of the wise posters from Atlanta is palatable when it comes to Zack.....i am not sure if the home crowd got on him in Atlanta but i have been in buildings where that happens with young struggling highly touted prospects and it can get ugly and shatter a kids confidence.

Zack now strolls into town and the reset button is hit. his GM is fully backing him and our crowd may know of his struggles but won't have witnessed it first hand so he gets a crowd with no baggage and modest expectations. He probably has at least 1 season of grace. not saying Winnipeg isn't a tough town but we haven't witnessed the blooper real while watching Drew in LA light it up. most of us get that he might take a few more years

I would love it if they picked up a very steady veteran defensman with a couple of seasons left that they could pair him with....someone to cover his a55 on the ice then be in his ear coaching him on the bench after every shift.

I am looking forward to seeing the kid develop over the next 2 to 3 years.....here's to new beginnings!!
I gotta agree with this. Now that Bogo is playing for a REAL HOCKEY ORGANIZATION I'll be interested to see how well he develops. He's got the skills for sure.

Old
07-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Lemon Lover
Forever in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
.....i am not sure if the home crowd got on him in Atlanta but i have been in buildings where that happens with young struggling highly touted prospects and it can get ugly and shatter a kids confidence.
This is a good theory but you are off on this one. I can assure he was not booed, heckled, etc. in any way in the ATL. He got an extremely easy ride. Now in Winnipeg, he will most certainly get booed and destroyed in the press IF he plays like he has the last 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Fulgur View Post
Zach isn't just bad, he's one of the worst defensemen in the NHL, with shockingly bad plus/minus stats. He's young, agreed...but I've seen him consistently make the kind of basic errors that nobody in pro hockey (at any level) should be making. Remember that he went to great hockey schools and is from a very athletic family and was even coached by Ray Bourque and STILL is suckered every time to follow a forward up the boards leaving the slot defenseless. Every time! There is something really REALLY wrong with this kid mentally as a defenseman.
Sadly, very sadly, every word of this ^ is true (not limited to the boldface). . . . . but, yes, he is young, will have new coaches, scenery, etc., so even I think that with all his talent he still has a chance to become great.

Old
07-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Sunshine36616

I think the new location could help as well. I hope it does. New management, new location, an arena where he can hear thousands cheering him could all be beneficial to him. On the flip side, the scrutiny he'll be under might not help. He could be one of those that thrive knowing that he will be called to task on his poor play. Experience has shown this is NOT the case with him. He gets butt hurt in a hurry. I'm really interested in seeing how he plays in Winnipeg. I'm hoping he does well. He's a nice kid.

Old
07-09-2011, 09:23 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lover View Post
This is a good theory but you are off on this one. I can assure he was not booed, heckled, etc. in any way in the ATL. He got an extremely easy ride. Now in Winnipeg, he will most certainly get booed and destroyed in the press IF he plays like he has the last 3 years.

Sadly, very sadly, every word of this ^ is true (not limited to the boldface). . . . . but, yes, he is young, will have new coaches, scenery, etc., so even I think that with all his talent he still has a chance to become great.
Yea Lemon Lover as i mentioned i was not sure what type of treatment he got. nice to know he was not booed and i can assure you he will not be afforded the same luxury here over the long haul. in my experience Winnipeg is a fair fan base but have their limits

that being said we get a chance to pick him up after the ugly years (we all hope). if he can start growing even modestly this year this might just work out.

at a bare minimum he will come to Winnipeg with significantly discounted expectations from draft day. every fan in the building will know he is a work in progress.

cynic alert: I am sure he will drive me nuts and i will come back and join in the chorus with our Atlanta chapter... i usually don't have a long fuse for bone headed plays on D

Old
07-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Sunshine36616

There was a thread on the main board months back that said "Which player on your team would drop the Stanley Cup?" My answer was "Zach Bogosian, and everyone will blame his defense partner." Just keep that in mind when you find yourself inexplicably hating Oduya, Hainsey or whomever they pair him with, lol.

Old
07-09-2011, 10:29 AM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

vCash: 829
He is 21 years old and People need to be patient with a young dman like that. The only reason he's even playing in the nhl is because the thrashers didn't have anyone else to step in. He should have benefitted with some time in the AHL

Old
07-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
After witnessing Hartford trade a young Chris Pronger to St. Louis, I would be very, very hesitant to trade Bogosian.
Bogosian is not Chris Pronger, nor will he ever be even half of the player that Pronger is.

Bogosian has major character issues, huge flaws in his game, and was the worst defenseman on the Thrashers last season, possibly even the worst defenseman in the division not named Tyler Sloan. Zach plays when Zach wants to. He doesn't like being criticized, and by all reports, was NOT good with the coaching staff.

He needs to go while he still has some value. Bogosian is garbage.

Old
07-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Sunshine36616

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
He is 21 years old and People need to be patient with a young dman like that. The only reason he's even playing in the nhl is because the thrashers didn't have anyone else to step in. He should have benefitted with some time in the AHL
Bogosian was definitely rushed. He should have spent another season in juniors. He wasn't eligible for the AHL until last year (I think he's 21 now.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Bogosian is not Chris Pronger, nor will he ever be even half of the player that Pronger is.

Bogosian has major character issues, huge flaws in his game, and was the worst defenseman on the Thrashers last season, possibly even the worst defenseman in the division not named Tyler Sloan. Zach plays when Zach wants to. He doesn't like being criticized, and by all reports, was NOT good with the coaching staff.

He needs to go while he still has some value. Bogosian is garbage.
As hard as I am on Bogosian, I'm hoping your garbage comment proves to be wrong.

Old
07-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Given all the problems associated with the lad, why would the Jets want to continue to develop him. He doesn't sound like he's worth the effort based on the comments I've read here.

Closed Thread