HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton Stealth S7 vs. Other skates

Old
07-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Easton Stealth S7 vs. Other skates

So, I started playing Ice 1 1/2 years ago after not playing since I was about 8ish. Anyways, I have Easton Stealth S7 skates and they seem to fit pretty well.

Features
  • HYPERLITE composite quarters - Easton's top traditionally constructed skate
  • STEALTH® PADLOCK - latex anatomical ankle shape eliminates heel slippage
  • BIO-DRI™ microfiber liner provides comfort, durability, and moisture reduction
  • MOISTURE WICKING BIO-DRI™ footbed
  • INJECTED COMPOSITE outsole with Dryflow™

However, I've been looking into potentially getting new skates and was wondering if better skates will help improve my skating

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 10:00 PM
ponder

By far, and I mean BY FAR the most important thing with skates (in terms of both performance and comfort) is the fit. How do they fit you? The key aspects of fit include:

1) Right length (ideally your toes should be just barely feathering the toe caps when you stand up straight, but pulling just away from them once you get into a skating stance with knees and ankles bent)
2) Right width around your mid/forefoot (a nice snug feel around your foot in general, but not to the extent that it's causing you pain. Snug, not squeezing)
3) Great ankle lock (your ankle/heel should be totally locked in place with the skates done up, you shouldn't be able to lift your ankle off the footbed at all)
4) Right depth (with the skate unlaced the sides of the skates, by the eyelets, should roughly follow the contours of your foot, your feet should be bulging out or hiding deep in the skate)
5) Virtually no negative space in general (the only exception is around the toe box, some skates are intentionally roomy around your toes, others are tight around the toes, it's a personal preference thing, your Easton S7 skates have a toebox on the tighter side)
6) Minimal pain when skating, even for extended periods of time (3rd party footbeds can be key here, stock footbeds on essentially all skates are cheap garbage. Also many skates will hurt somewhat at first, but after a break-in period of 10-15 skates or so they should be feeling fairly comfortable/pain free if the fit is truly good)

As you move up to more expensive skates the advantages include lighter weight, stiffer skates, better steel, higher quality materials/more durable construction, and to a certain extent better comfort (often better foams/liners, and sometimes more anatomical foot shapes), but especially when you're a newer skater these things aren't going to transform your skating, they're more minor improvements. S7s are decent skates, if they fit you well I'd personally stick with them for now. However, if they fit you poorly then you'll notice serious improvements in both your skating and your general comfort level on the ice with new skates that fit you properly.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2011, 07:54 PM
AIREAYE

Forget about the names of the features, tell us about your fit.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 12:51 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
They're not great skates, but they're far from bad. Nice skates won't improve your skating unless you're already pretty dang good at it. My skating improved going from higher mid range skates to top end ones. Yours won't. Focus on getting your stance and stride nailed first.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote