HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Kovalev called PG and offered him 1Y/1M.. Would you?

Old
07-17-2011, 12:17 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
If the moderators have enough to drink, they might consider merging this with the Komisarek thread, and change the title to "Who would you rather have back: Komisarek or Kovalev?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Please, we don't have anyone who can out perform him there. Not even close. There's no risk involved. He doesn't do as hoped, let him go, who cares, big deal.

I suppose carrying empty cap space is a much superior plan and bound to create a few goals. Even if he only gives 30-35points, it's better than our current options.

He's a sure bet for at least 30 points imo.
Sending Kovalev down to Hamilton would be as dishonourable as what TB did to Gary Roberts.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Please, we don't have anyone who can out perform him there. Not even close. There's no risk involved. He doesn't do as hoped, let him go, who cares, big deal.

I suppose carrying empty cap space is a much superior plan and bound to create a few goals. Even if he only gives 30-35points, it's better than our current options.

He's a sure bet for at least 30 points imo.
But it's not just as simple as 'getting 30-35pts'...there's more to playing hockey than just accumulating points.

do you know why JM keeps plugging in Moen or Darche in the top 6 whenever there's an injury or when Kostitsyn wasn't playing well? It's because Moen & Darche know their role, if Martin tells them to play with Plekanec & Cammalleri cause they need a defensive presence, or cause they need someone who will go to the net, someone who will forecheck/backcheck, etc...they'll do it.

You really think Kovalev can play anyother role than the reluctant RW sniper who plays in the top 6?

I mean come on...this isn't PS3, teams are rarely made up of the 'best 12' forwards...every player has a role, and on this team, the Habs already have several players who fufill Kovalev's role.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:25 PM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsqu View Post
To not take kovy on a one year one million would be flat out stupid. He we need goals and he gives them. More than 1 million, its a different story but 1y/1m... come on
I'm going to guess that you don't watch the Habs very often? Jacques Martin builds teams through strong neutral zone play, and specialty teams.

Going in to this year the forwars lines project as:

Cole-Plekanec-Cammalleri (Plekanec and Cammalleri are stellar, Cole is a perfect complement)
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta (Pacioretty was lighting it up on this line, until his injury)
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn (they had great success together last year, and are as a trio physically dominant)
Darche-Ry. White-Desharnais, with Trotter, Enqvist (most likely), and Palushaj all competing for a roster spot.

The team is likely to carry 8 defenseman, with Weber moving between forward and defense.

Desharnais can easily move up to the 2nd and 3rd lines, if necessary. Where on earth does Kovalev fit in to this team? On the 3rd line? If the Habs learned anything from the Bruins series it is that they need to be tougher, not more skillful. Kovalev would be a regression. Let's move forward.

voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:33 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
But it's not just as simple as 'getting 30-35pts'...there's more to playing hockey than just accumulating points.

do you know why JM keeps plugging in Moen or Darche in the top 6 whenever there's an injury or when Kostitsyn wasn't playing well? It's because Moen & Darche know their role, if Martin tells them to play with Plekanec & Cammalleri cause they need a defensive presence, or cause they need someone who will go to the net, someone who will forecheck/backcheck, etc...they'll do it.

You really think Kovalev can play anyother role than the reluctant RW sniper who plays in the top 6?

I mean come on...this isn't PS3, teams are rarely made up of the 'best 12' forwards...every player has a role, and on this team, the Habs already have several players who fufill Kovalev's role.
Kovalev would fill his role no problem. He has been doing so for years and years. He's a very good 3rd line option at this point in his career. JM put darche and moen in the top 6, because we have a bunch of dwarfs in the top 6. Kovalev would be a better option for that role as well.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:35 PM
haburger

its gettin really scary on here.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:37 PM
edsqu

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
I'm going to guess that you don't watch the Habs very often? Jacques Martin builds teams through strong neutral zone play, and specialty teams.

Going in to this year the forwars lines project as:

Cole-Plekanec-Cammalleri (Plekanec and Cammalleri are stellar, Cole is a perfect complement)
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta (Pacioretty was lighting it up on this line, until his injury)
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn (they had great success together last year, and are as a trio physically dominant)
Darche-Ry. White-Desharnais, with Trotter, Enqvist (most likely), and Palushaj all competing for a roster spot.

The team is likely to carry 8 defenseman, with Weber moving between forward and defense.

Desharnais can easily move up to the 2nd and 3rd lines, if necessary. Where on earth does Kovalev fit in to this team? On the 3rd line? If the Habs learned anything from the Bruins series it is that they need to be tougher, not more skillful. Kovalev would be a regression. Let's move forward.
I watch 80-82 games a year.. Im not sure why you wanted to make a pissing match out of the fact that I think he should be on the team for a million dollars?

edsqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Kovalev would fill his role no problem. He has been doing so for years and years. He's a very good 3rd line option at this point in his career. JM put darche and moen in the top 6, because we have a bunch of dwarfs in the top 6. Kovalev would be a better option for that role as well.
Kovalev has filled what role? Certainly not the one I described below lol

you kidding me?

You know why Kovalev completely flopped in Pittsburgh last year? It's because Bylsma asks alot from his forwards in terms of forechecking/backchecking...and that's just not Kovalev's game.

Kovalev works best in a free flowing system...like the one he had in Montreal with Carbonneau or in his glory days with Pittsburgh when they were coached by Ivan Hlinka.

He DOES NOT work in a stuctured system...this has been proven time and time again throughout his career.

For people who claim to be Kovalev fans, you sure do you little about him

Old
07-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Zbynek

He got benched in a crucial Game 7 by the Jack-Adams winning coach.

unless it's for league minimum, you don't want him back. He is so slow and lazy it's saddening. Let him go off into the dust of the KHL...

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:44 PM
edsqu

Why does wanting kovalev for 1 million mean i don't watch the habs very much...This place is mean...

Old
07-17-2011, 12:44 PM
habitue*

No, no, no..

I'd rather have Darche on that third line than Kovy.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
He got benched in a crucial Game 7 by the Jack-Adams winning coach.

unless it's for league minimum, you don't want him back. He is so slow and lazy it's saddening. Let him go off into the dust of the KHL...
But you see, this kind of important information means little to a segment of the Habs fan base.

Who cares if he got benched in a crucial game 7 by one of the best coaches in the NHL...

I mean, the guy can flip the puck on the top portion of the net from the red line on one knee

Old
07-17-2011, 12:52 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Noway the dude is done and I would not be surprised if he does not find NHL employment to start the season. Funny how only a few years ago he was talking about wanting to play until 50 and now looks like he won't make 38, at least in the NHL.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 50
Honestly, I'd do it. Just keep him the hell away from Kostitsyn, that boy is finally starting to come around

Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 12:56 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
But you see, this kind of important information means little to a segment of the Habs fan base.

Who cares if he got benched in a crucial game 7 by one of the best coaches in the NHL...

I mean, the guy can flip the puck on the top portion of the net from the red line on one knee
Benching Kovalev really paid off for Pittsburgh.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:01 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
HELL NO!

Enough is enough.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Teufelsdreck

It'd be like reheating coffee that's been sitting around.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:03 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
You're dreaming in technicolor.

NO MEANS NO

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:13 PM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsqu View Post
Why does wanting kovalev for 1 million mean i don't watch the habs very much...This place is mean...
Not trying to be disrespectful, but to stay it is stupid not to take him, is a little harsh, given his history, and the way the team has changed since he left.

voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:15 PM
habitue*

Kovy loves to be back with former teams...

He,s been a NY Ranger twice...

A Pittsburg Pens, twice...

He must want to be back in Montreal for a second stint...

And next, when he will be 40, he's gonna back to Ottawa....

NO !!!!!!! PLEASE !!!!!!!!

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:17 PM
habs86

Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!! please dear GOD no no no

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:20 PM
habdynasty

No never !

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:21 PM
edsqu

I just think he can produce on a 3rd line..Maybe im getting soft but reading his tweets and fb messages about mtl, He misses the team and town so much I think he would love to produce back here..and given hes an old goat would probably understand his roll in the bottom 6, Maybe even helping eller a little bit with his production/Development... I don't know. I think 1y/1m is a risk worth taking. no worries about disrespect!

Old
07-17-2011, 01:35 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I think I've said it before, but there are a couple of conditions he has to agree with, OR if he doesn't like it, don't let the door hit him on the way out.

3rd line with AKEller, 2nd wave PP when he deserves it. You float, you don't get PP. No such thing as he's a legend/he scored 600+ goals (or whatever his stats are).

I don't want him in the top 6 and there's no room at all with Cole playing RW.

If he starts drama (which I doubt by now), waive him/bench him/call the police/whatever.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:36 PM
HabJab

Quote:
How the hell is Kovalev going to get 40-50pts playing on the 3rd line? When was the last time any Habs player, who played on the 3rd line, had 40-50pts???
The type of third line player that would get pp time and move up the lineup kind of guy. You don't think 25 pp points and 20 es points is out of the realm of possibility for kovalev? The man had the ability not too long ago to take over games... I would think he still has the ability to contribute. And please, for those looking at the last 2 years he played with 2 tier type of players.

HabJab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
I don't see him replacing any of the players in the top 6, nor do I see him defensively responsible to back-check on the third line. He's not as quick anymore, and he won't add anything to the bottom 6 that is not already there. I'd pass.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote