HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The most frustrating game(s) you have seen in person?

Old
07-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

vCash: 500
The most frustrating game(s) you have seen in person?

I've gone to plenty of games over the years, but these two really stick out to me.

First game:

2001 ECQF vs Buffalo. Game 2 at home.

Ugh what a loss...I remember Hasek having some insane saves that game.

Second game:

November 18, 2005. Thrashers vs Flyers.

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...2,291&fr=false

What a crazy game haha. Went up 1-0 only to see that turn into a 3-1 deficit. Took a 5-3 lead after FOUR straight goals but gave up TWO freaking goals in the last TWO minutes of the game.

Patrik freaking Stefan tied the game up with 7 seconds to go.

Lost it in OT.

Anybody else have some interesting ones?

In before game 6 2010 finals.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:48 PM
orangecrush8

I havent been to too many games in Philly but Iv been to some pretty crappy ones.

1. Panthers @ Flyers (Feb 23, 2008) - Panthers win 2-1 in ot
- Bouwmeester ties it with 2 seconds left, Jokinen wins it

2. Penguins @ Flyers (Feb 21, 2009) - Pens win 5-4
- this game went back and forth. Crosby got the game winner with about 3 minutes to go. Biron came flying out of the net to get the puck, only to just drop it leaving a wide open net

3. Lightning @ Flyers (Jan 28, 2006) - Lightning win 6-0
- this game just sucked. Fly all the way down to Philly only to get slaughtered

I will say Iv been to some pretty awesome games recently. I was at game 4 of the Finals and the game earlier that year against the Blackhawks. Hartnell tied it with 2 minutes to go. Pronger won it with 2 seconds left.

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:55 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Game 1 of the Boston Series this year it sucked. In Contrast it was right after the best game Ive ever been to which was Game 7 of the Buffalo Series

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:34 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
My first ever Flyers game was Gretzky's last in Philly. Most of the stars were hurt, and Hextall let in a shot from beyond the blueline. Rangers won 5-2. Only highlight was Luke Richardson taking a run at Gretz in the corner to stir it up.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Ghost of Downie*

I've got three that pop into mind. The best out of three was probably this year's Game 5 (where Boosh/Leighton **** the bed). Second worst was probably a 3-1 loss to the Thrashers in 2009/2010, where Boosh again gave up two early goals.

The worst by far was John Stevens's last game, a 2-0 loss to the Canucks. They got pretty much no offense and were dominated the entire game.

EDIT: ****, how did I forget Game 3 against the Bruins in 09/10? 3-0 loss that looked headed for a sweep. Didn't know Richards injuring Krejci would be a turning point.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I have been to way more games than I care to admit to. However one game I will always remember was on Jan. 17 1986 vs the islanders. We were up 3-1 going into the 3rd when the isles put three past Bob Froese. Brent Sutter tied it up with about seven minutes to go and then as we were getting ready to leave and mad that they tied us, Trottier scored with one second left to beat us 4-3. You want to talk about four pissed off drunk construction workers!

Almost forgot. when we lost to the Pens when Car Bomb got into the fight and it was all down hill from there. After being stuck on 42 for almost two hours. To get there after the 1st to see that. It was painful to say the least.

Last edited by Hockeypete49: 07-17-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:00 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

October 9th 2010 against the penguins. coburn scores the game winner into his own net

January ? 2011 against the devils. 3-1 effortless loss. the very start of the downward slide of this team.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Damaged Goods

This game.

"Frustrating" is a severe understatement. The building was rocking with celebration in the 2nd period, and about an hour later everyone was filing out in stunned silence.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Game 82 from the 09-10 season. Even though we won, I got stuck in traffic on the way there and missed the first period. When I got there it was 1-0 with Jody Shelley in line for the game winning dagger. The rest of the game, though it turned out well, was INCREDIBLY frustrating. Lundqvist was stopping everything, as he usually does. And then once it went to the shootout I "knew" it was over because the Flyers suck at the shootout. The ending was probably one of the best I've been there, but the game itself was unbearable.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Game 1 of the Boston Series this year it sucked. In Contrast it was right after the best game Ive ever been to which was Game 7 of the Buffalo Series
I was there too. Agony.

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
My first ever Flyers game was Gretzky's last in Philly. Most of the stars were hurt, and Hextall let in a shot from beyond the blueline. Rangers won 5-2. Only highlight was Luke Richardson taking a run at Gretz in the corner to stir it up.
No freaking way, I was at that game as well!

I was too young to really remember it (I was only like 8 or 9), but I still vaguely remember some parts of it.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:54 PM
laundryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
3. Lightning @ Flyers (Jan 28, 2006) - Lightning win 6-0
- this game just sucked. Fly all the way down to Philly only to get slaughtered
Pretty sure I was at that game. Only game I went to all year and they got wrecked.

There was another game against the Rangers where we were sitting next to this little kid who talked about how much he hated Jagr. He ended up scoring 2 goals and the Rangers won like 6-2 or something.

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 09:59 PM
infidelappel*

2009 ECQF Game 4, Penguins in Philly. Fleury put on a ridiculous show, and was an absolute brick wall. You could feel how frustrated everyone in the entire building was; the tension was pretty much palpable. I got the feeling that if we could just crack the armor we could blow the whole thing open because the Flyers were dominating the game so much.

That was absolutely the most frustrating game I've been to.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:38 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
I've got three that pop into mind. The best out of three was probably this year's Game 5 (where Boosh/Leighton **** the bed). Second worst was probably a 3-1 loss to the Thrashers in 2009/2010, where Boosh again gave up two early goals.

The worst by far was John Stevens's last game, a 2-0 loss to the Canucks. They got pretty much no offense and were dominated the entire game.

EDIT: ****, how did I forget Game 3 against the Bruins in 09/10? 3-0 loss that looked headed for a sweep. Didn't know Richards injuring Krejci would be a turning point.
Wasn't it more than 2-0? It's funny, I vividly remember being at the park the night he got fired, I was with 2 friends doing some birding when I got a message from one friend who heard Stevens was fired and I was so excited I ended up going home to see what was happening here!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Wasn't it more than 2-0? It's funny, I vividly remember being at the park the night he got fired, I was with 2 friends doing some birding when I got a message from one friend who heard Stevens was fired and I was so excited I ended up going home to see what was happening here!
Actually, just looked it up; it was 3-0. Wasn't a blow-out, just a complete domination.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:12 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
No freaking way, I was at that game as well!

I was too young to really remember it (I was only like 8 or 9), but I still vaguely remember some parts of it.
I guess it was in 99 since it was Gretz's last season (99 retires in 99?)

My next game was a little better, it was Andy Delmore's hat trick game against the Pens in the playoffs.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Game 2 of the '85 Finals. I had a bad feeling they'd not make it back for game 6.

the 2-3-2 format killed us.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:25 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Any Flyers/Pens playoff home game loss. Espicially the Talbot game, or game 4 of that series when Fluery stood on his head. That is when I actually liked Dan Carcillo.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Beastieboy

I live in Winnipeg. I have seen some horrible games on the road the last 15 years! Actually, pretty much ALL of them have been cursed:

1. Game 5 of Flyers/Sens play-off series 2003 - Sens win 5-2 after Flyers score early the wheels fall off. Flyers were then destroyed in game 6.
2. 5-0 loss in Montreal on Super Bowl Weekend 2006 when everybody was injured (Forsberg, etc.) such that Pat Kavanaugh was playing.
3. My one and only trip to Philly to see a game. 8-2 loss to Penguins in Oct 2006. After Clarke resigned, Hitch was fired... and Crosby had his first career hat trick. UGH. 30 years of Flyers fandom and THIS was the game I saw in Philly. With all the 8 year-olds cheering for Sid.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:18 AM
Phileeguy
RIP Pat

Feb 24, 2001

Flyers and Tampa end the game in a 0-0 tie. Not even a fight in the game. Cechmanek made a few good saves, maybe one or two off his melon, but Kevin Weekes was a man possessed that night.

IIRC it was fan appreciation night too. Don't know why they had it that early on in the season though.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 12:29 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Feb 24, 2001

Flyers and Tampa end the game in a 0-0 tie. Not even a fight in the game. Cechmanek made a few good saves, maybe one or two off his melon, but Kevin Weekes was a man possessed that night.

IIRC it was fan appreciation night too. Don't know why they had it that early on in the season though.
That was the game Gagne screwed up his shoulder and missed about a month.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:04 AM
phlocky

MSE, I'll need your help here because I don't remember the year abd though I think the team was the Caps that we played, I could be wrong.

It was a playoff game. We had both the Sutter twins. It in the 1st rnd of the playoffs in the mid 80's (I'm guessing it was 84). We were sitting up in the rafters (my god, I had never sat that high at a hockey game before, it was pretty high up and one of our seats was right beside a columb/roof beam, I bet I could have stood on the back of my seat and touched the roof). We were down in the and facing elimination. The Flyers came out flying hitting everything in sight. A fight broke out with the Sutters on the ice and IIRC both were thrown out of the game. The refs took all the steam out of our team and we went quietly out of the playoffs that night. The fnas started a chant in the 2nd period which continued off and on through the end of the game "BOB MUST GO, BOB MUST GO". This was in reference to their then GM Bob McGammon and IIRC he was fired after that season.

It was frustrating because it was my first playoff game, the Flyers were really buzzing in the 1st period and then the Refs got involved and took us out of our game style. It became a very goring and frustrating game to watch because we couldn't play Flyers tough hockey without getting a penalty called against us.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:09 AM
mypunkrock

Flew home to surprise my mom for the Nov. 18th, 2010 game against the Lightning. It was supposed to be Gagne's second game back in Philly, but, if I remember right, he was still injured.

We end up losing something like 8 -7 in a completely ridiculous game all around and Gagne doesn't play. Was worth the trip though, mom was super stoked.

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:28 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
MSE, I'll need your help here because I don't remember the year abd though I think the team was the Caps that we played, I could be wrong.

It was a playoff game. We had both the Sutter twins. It in the 1st rnd of the playoffs in the mid 80's (I'm guessing it was 84). We were sitting up in the rafters (my god, I had never sat that high at a hockey game before, it was pretty high up and one of our seats was right beside a columb/roof beam, I bet I could have stood on the back of my seat and touched the roof). We were down in the and facing elimination. The Flyers came out flying hitting everything in sight. A fight broke out with the Sutters on the ice and IIRC both were thrown out of the game. The refs took all the steam out of our team and we went quietly out of the playoffs that night. The fnas started a chant in the 2nd period which continued off and on through the end of the game "BOB MUST GO, BOB MUST GO". This was in reference to their then GM Bob McGammon and IIRC he was fired after that season.

It was frustrating because it was my first playoff game, the Flyers were really buzzing in the 1st period and then the Refs got involved and took us out of our game style. It became a very goring and frustrating game to watch because we couldn't play Flyers tough hockey without getting a penalty called against us.
That was the final game of the 1984 3-game sweep by Washington. It was also Clarke's last game as a player. Both Sutters had fights in that game.

EDIT:

Youtube has some fights from that game:

Daryl Stanley-Mike Gartner ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKeSt229P0A ),
Rich Sutter-Bobby Carpenter ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbkzGWUItmg )
Ron Sutter-Darren Veitch ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFoCYmDQpSY ).

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-18-2011 at 01:35 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:11 AM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Have only went to about 5 games because I don't really live near Philly but went to one against the Bruins about 5-6 years ago. They were losing about 6-1 and Milan Jurcina scored and that's when I knew we had to leave early lol. I was like 9 at the time so I still didn't completely become the Flyers fan I am today. Still had a little bit of that "we're losing so I just wanna go home" in me back then haha

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote