HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Main Stage Collapses at Bluesfest

Old
08-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Anyone that thinks that humans spewing toxins into the air for the past 100+ years is having no affect is a pure idiot.

However, that being said, the planet will survive. It's the people that won't. The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas. A surface nuisance.

We aren't killing the planet. We are killing ourselves.

I saw the footage of the Indiana stage collapse. It was pretty bad. I can't see how anybody can be held accountable though. A freak accident. The concert organizers did issue a weather warning, but really, who thinks a stage is going to blow over because of bad weather?

Either they need to make these stages stronger, or they have to keep people a safe distance back from them, but as I know first hand, concert goers that make their way to the front of the stage are generally not the type that are overly concerned with safety.

I was at the SARS concert in Toronto, and the U2 concert at the Skydome as well, and I got close at both venues, but not so close that I was in danger of getting trampled or crushed by the stage if it had collapsed, and on that note, the idea of a stage collapsing has never entered my mind while I was at a concert.

It's terrible for the dead and their families, but I don't know how you prevent unpredictable events. Mother nature is a *****. Sometimes she reminds us who is boss.
Ugh

Fenix Rises 2026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 05:35 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Ok. Please explain how us pumping carbon dioxide, and countless other toxins into the environment since the industrial revolution is not adversely affecting the planet.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Ok. Please explain how us pumping carbon dioxide, and countless other toxins into the environment since the industrial revolution is not adversely affecting the planet.
You might be right there. I was just amazed at how obnoxious your post was in general.

Old
08-15-2011, 06:04 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

People are seriously underestimating humanity's ability to persevere through bad times. Global warming is a natural process that's being catalyzed by human actions, but it's not going to be the end of the world, nor will it be the end of humankind.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Locked?

Old
08-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Apaharn

I came for a stage collapse discussion.

However, the thread collapsed into a global warming/climate change derpfest.

/inb4lock

Apaharn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
People are seriously underestimating humanity's ability to persevere through bad times. Global warming is a natural process that's being catalyzed by human actions, but it's not going to be the end of the world, nor will it be the end of humankind.
Correct.

Humans actually contribute less than 5% of carbon dioxide in our air.

People think that Carbon Dioxide increases the temperature of the planet, but as it turns out, the opposite happens.

Not even a global Ice age would kill us. Central heating FTW.

Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 07:34 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Have you renewed your license to breathe? Joggers and bicyclists better pay double, there's no need for all that hot air.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 08:08 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Actually screw that, anything said in this thread isn't worth it. I will retract my 2 cents.

Last edited by wubwubwubwub: 08-15-2011 at 08:37 PM.
wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 08:30 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenacusMaximus View Post
Correct.

Humans actually contribute less than 5% of carbon dioxide in our air.

People think that Carbon Dioxide increases the temperature of the planet, but as it turns out, the opposite happens.

Not even a global Ice age would kill us. Central heating FTW.
BS.

Carbon Dioxide is getting trapped in the atmosphere and that extra C02 is trapping the sun's radiation in our atmposphere.

The planet is warming up. We are causing it. When we destroy our habitat, the Earth will still be here. We are the ones that won't be. Unless you are some ****** that thinks that dinosaurs were here 6000 years ago, or that Jesus is coming back...

We are done. How many species has the Earth shaken off to date? You think the Earth will allow us insignificant gnats to destroy it?

Again, you are free to tell me where / why I am wrong.

Old
08-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Senacus Maximus
AlfSilferssonScores

Quote:
BS.

Carbon Dioxide is getting trapped in the atmosphere and that extra C02 is trapping the sun's radiation in our atmposphere.

The planet is warming up. We are causing it. When we destroy our habitat, the Earth will still be here. We are the ones that won't be. Unless you are some ****** that thinks that dinosaurs were here 6000 years ago, or that Jesus is coming back...

We are done. How many species has the Earth shaken off to date? You think the Earth will allow us insignificant gnats to destroy it?

Again, you are free to tell me where / why I am wrong.
I really think we could survive pretty much anything. We are by far the most advanced species ever to live on this planet.

The part that I bolded doesn't disprove what I said in any way, as you are not addressing where it's coming from.

Please watch this.

Last edited by SenacusMaximus: 08-15-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Senacus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 08:52 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Oh ffs...

LOCK LOCK LOCK or DELETE DELETE DELETE.

littleD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Oh ffs...

LOCK LOCK LOCK or DELETE DELETE DELETE.
Seconded. This thread is shameful.

Old
08-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

you know it's been a long offseason when we find ourselves arguing over global warming in mid august.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Apaharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
you know it's been a long offseason when we find ourselves arguing over global warming in mid august.
I blame Garrioch, Ottawa NIMBYs, and politicians. They are definitely a big source of hot air here.

Apaharn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 11:02 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Technically you are both right - CO2 traps solar heat in the Earth's atmosphere, which creates a warming effect. In turn, the ice caps begin to melt and the world's water systems are cooled drastically, leading to a cooling effect. Then the oceans drain the atmosphere of heat again while CO2 levels diminish. Rinse and repeat.

Regardless, storms happen with or without human activity affecting global warming. It's unfortunate that they can result in deaths or injuries. I'd like to know why they hadn't postponed the show or evacuated earlier, considering how dark the sky is in the background at the Indiana State Fair.

Old
08-16-2011, 03:57 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

I don't know what is worse...the babies on here that cry until threads do get locked, or the fact that they actually do get locked or deleted because of it.

Old
08-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Tape2Tape

I broke the dam.

Tape2Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenacusMaximus View Post

Please watch this.
Thanks for posting this - I'm not necessarily sold on global warming, but I'm definitely sold on climate change, and it's always good to hear people representing the opposite side of an issue, even if you don't agree with that side. I'll definitely watch this a little later

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 07:34 AM
FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Quote:
Only a matter of time before it turns into a Muckler vs. Murray debate.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
In fairness, it's hard to find evidence of global warming in Ottawa in February

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:10 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape2Tape View Post
I broke the dam.
I broke the dam.

Old
08-16-2011, 11:00 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I broke the dam.
Don't you see what the child is saying? We can't spend all our energy placing blame when something bad happens. He's saying...we all broke the dam.

... No. I broke the dam. I broke the dam. I ran a boat into the dam and I broke it. On a boat! That wasn't mine! I kept it secret for two days! The boat caught on fire and it exploded!
... Ah, **** it.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:32 AM
hawthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Hahaha so there are still people fightning the idea of anthropogenic global warming eh?

First it was "there's no global warming!" then it became "oh, well yeah it's happening but isn't our fault!".

I wonder what they'll think of next.
I'll get something in here before lockdown.

It's way better than that CG. It started with "Global Warming", but then when it was determined that, "globally", the earth is actually cooling by a very negligible amount, it became "Climate Change".

Globally, there is no change going on. I won't resort to insults like Johnny Holmes, but I will say that anyone who thinks our insignicant presence has any sort of noticeable effect on the temperature.....well, ......heh.

Johnny, if you can say in one breath that the earth is capable of shaking us off "like a bad case of fleas" (which I agree with), how can you also believe that such an insiginicant presence as mankind is capable of actually having a greater effect than something like, I don't know, natural earth processes caused by things like tides, the moon, the earth's shifting orbit, and that enormous ball of fire that heats our planet (also known as the freakin' sun).

I'm not writing off certain adverse effects airbourne and other pollution has, but in terms of the scale we're talking.....nope.

hawthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:33 AM
hawthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
Only a matter of time before it turns into a Muckler vs. Murray debate.
Speaking of which, I'm tired of people blaming Murray for climate change. It was Muckler who caused climate change, and now Murray is just trying to clean up the mess and reverse it.

hawthy is offline   Reply With Quote