HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drew/Matt MacKenzie

Old
07-17-2011, 07:42 PM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
Drew/Matt MacKenzie

The current prospect poll has me realizing how little I know about some of our prospects, the MacKenzies in particular. Where do these guys fit in down the line? Will both be signed after next season? Just Matt?

What kind of game do they play?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Matt is rugged, physical-type defensive defenseman who will likely be signed for the Amerks after this season. He can contribute in a lot of ways, but his forte is strong play in his own zone.

Drew isn't a slouch in his own end and is a bit of a hard guy to play against in his own right and has had a solid run with the Cats. He's someone I don't know if they have the room to sign at the end of this season.

Matt seems to be the better prospect at this point. Drew could be a Matt Generous type signing depending on what happens in their pipeline (namely, trades). Both are a bit mean, play a bit of a physical style. If they weren't so chock-full on the blueline, I'd love to see both of them retained for next year to see where they can go developmentally.

07-17-2011, 08:06 PM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Matt is rugged, physical-type defensive defenseman who will likely be signed for the Amerks after this season. He can contribute in a lot of ways, but his forte is strong play in his own zone.

Drew isn't a slouch in his own end and is a bit of a hard guy to play against in his own right and has had a solid run with the Cats. He's someone I don't know if they have the room to sign at the end of this season.

Matt seems to be the better prospect at this point. Drew could be a Matt Generous type signing depending on what happens in their pipeline (namely, trades). Both are a bit mean, play a bit of a physical style. If they weren't so chock-full on the blueline, I'd love to see both of them retained for next year to see where they can go developmentally.
Chains summary pretty much says it all, although is was never aware of the physical touch he thinks both have, at least Drew has very low PIM-numbers.
To me Matt always seemd like a guy that is just reliable, rock-solid and brings a lot of leadership. Just an all-around guy with no real strengths and weaknesses who concentrates on the defensive side of the game and seems to be well known as a leader around the WHL, at least that is why Tri-City traded for him past season.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:42 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post

Is there NHL upside for Matt? Bottom pairing defensemen? Matt did look the better of the two in prospect camp, but it was tough to really gauge how far ahead physically he was in comparison to everyone else. He sorta just blended in. Didn't stick out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
Chains summary pretty much says it all, although is was never aware of the physical touch he thinks both have, at least Drew has very low PIM-numbers.
To me Matt always seemd like a guy that is just reliable, rock-solid and brings a lot of leadership. Just an all-around guy with no real strengths and weaknesses who concentrates on the defensive side of the game and seems to be well known as a leader around the WHL, at least that is why Tri-City traded for him past season.
Your report sounds like he's a lot like Pysyk. Are we looking at Pysyk-light with a bit of a physical edge?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 10:33 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooooodman View Post
Is there NHL upside for Matt? Bottom pairing defensemen? Matt did look the better of the two in prospect camp, but it was tough to really gauge how far ahead physically he was in comparison to everyone else. He sorta just blended in. Didn't stick out.

Your report sounds like he's a lot like Pysyk. Are we looking at Pysyk-light with a bit of a physical edge?
I think his upside is a middle pairing defenseman who is under-appreciated.

I definitely see him as a lesser Pysyk.
His skating is not as good as Pysyk's but he is more physical.
Both are just average sized two-way defensemen who are smart puck movers.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:37 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I think his upside is a middle pairing defenseman who is under-appreciated.

I definitely see him as a lesser Pysyk.
His skating is not as good as Pysyk's but he is more physical.
Both are just average sized two-way defensemen who are smart puck movers.
Pretty much this.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote