HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ice pant gets caught in shin guards

Old
07-16-2011, 01:12 PM
JustinYS

vCash: 500
Ice pant gets caught in shin guards

Hey all,

I bought some new Bauer One80 shin guards along with an S13 ice pant. Problem is, the socks I currently have are small and limit my movement. I tried out the RBK Edge socks. They are nice and stretchy which enable me to move pretty well but unfortunately, since they aren't exactly "tight", my thigh guards from my shin guards don't bend well and the ice pant gets caught in it when I bend my knee.

Any tips? Should I be getting a different shin guard? Once I "break in" the pads, will the thigh guards flex more and not be as stiff?

I just moved up from my old, old, old junior shin guards and they were light and mobile but they don't protect much. Do all senior upper-mid price point shin guards fit this way?

Thanks,

JustinYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 02:21 PM
AIREAYE

It's either your pants or your shins that are too long (or both); hard to tell without having a look.

Make sure your knee is in the centre of your knee pocket of your shins, understand that if you have your tongues under your shins, you should ideally be an inch up in sizing.

Ideally, your pants should come down to just above your knee cap or exactly at the top of your knee cap.

Try getting the right fit of socks to start and pull them tight to attach to your velcro piece on your jock shorts.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2011, 03:06 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
It's either your pants or your shins that are too long (or both); hard to tell without having a look.

Make sure your knee is in the centre of your knee pocket of your shins, understand that if you have your tongues under your shins, you should ideally be an inch up in sizing.

Ideally, your pants should come down to just above your knee cap or exactly at the top of your knee cap.

Try getting the right fit of socks to start and pull them tight to attach to your velcro piece on your jock shorts.
I've had this same problem with equipment that fits well/is the right size, it's not that the pants catch on the plastic knee cap, they catch on the little foam piece sticking out from above the knee cap (designed to protect your lower quads, right above your knee), which is a piece that a lot of new shin guards have. On some shin guards this piece is an extension of the removable liner, and those tend to stay nice and close to the leg, but on the ones where it's a instead attached to the shell it can stick way out when you bend your knee, letting the pants slip behind it and get caught when your straighten your leg out, for the shin guards with the really big thigh pieces you'd need pretty tiny/short pants to avoid this.

What I've done when I've had this problem is to use shin guard tape to bend/curve the little quad piece into the position I want when I'm not wearing them (so it naturally tends to stay close to the leg rather than pushing out), and leave it taped up like that between games for as long as possible to get the foams to sort of take on that curved in, anatomical shape. Worked for me. Also, you could bring them to a cobbler and get them to shorten or even remove these little pads, shouldn't cost too much at all and that lower quad area is almost always covered by your pants regardless, seems like a fairly excessive/useless piece of padding to me. You could also scratch the Rbk Edge socks and just get some traditional, tight fitting CCM socks, which will obviously naturally hold the little quad foam piece close to your legs.

Last edited by ponder: 07-16-2011 at 03:19 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinYS View Post
Hey all,

I bought some new Bauer One80 shin guards along with an S13 ice pant. Problem is, the socks I currently have are small and limit my movement. I tried out the RBK Edge socks. They are nice and stretchy which enable me to move pretty well but unfortunately, since they aren't exactly "tight", my thigh guards from my shin guards don't bend well and the ice pant gets caught in it when I bend my knee.

Any tips? Should I be getting a different shin guard? Once I "break in" the pads, will the thigh guards flex more and not be as stiff?

I just moved up from my old, old, old junior shin guards and they were light and mobile but they don't protect much. Do all senior upper-mid price point shin guards fit this way?

Thanks,
I had the same exact problem with my Easton socks which are the same type as the Reebok Edge. They fit too loose. What I did was cut the upper part of the velcro on the sock so essentially I have to pull them up higher on my jock to attach them. This stopped the shin guard from getting caught because the sock is now stretched tighter top to bottom.

The real solution is I'm going to get my mother in law to take a couple pairs in on the sewing machine so they aren't so loose.

I like them over the traditional knit sock so worth the effort.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2011, 03:30 PM
beth

There should be enough overlap between shin guard and pants so that the knee can bend without popping the shinguard out and so that you're not exposing unprotected thigh when you're in hockey stance.

I see this happen a lot with the little kids when they're wearing pants that aren't long enough anymore because they've grown.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:04 AM
Logie

I found out that having a gap is not wise, sods law got hit in that 2" gap with a slapshot. 2 weeks later still a little sore and bruised

Logie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:21 AM
night-timer

The thigh guard will loosen up. My RBK shin guards always have a stiffness problem until they are worn-in. Give it time.

Having said that, my pants are too short for me because I am tall and thin.

(Pants that fit okay in the waist are too short in the leg for guys like me.)

The thigh guard on my knee pads always gets caught over the pants for me. I don't see it being a real problem, others than in the looks department.

Having said that I, am searching for longer pants and will own them soon, hopefully.

Thigh guards above the knee cap will probably always pop out when you bend your knees into hockey stance.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote