UFAs / Roster Changes / Trades / Qualifying Offers 2011? Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Koffein

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I don't know about that. He signed with Calgary, not San Jose or Vancouver.
Yes, and he apparently said he took a discount so he would be able to play close to his hometown. I've seen many people say we should have been in on some players who was signed for a reasonable price this offseason, but not many ever seem to concider that we might actually have made them an offer higher than what they signed for and that money is not the major factor for all players. Point being, if you have no insight to the players personal preferences, you can't really know if they would want to sign in Anaheim for 200k more than they just signed for in some other city.
Family, friends, projected role and ice time, coaching staff/management, weather, travel, taxes etc. It's not all about the salary.

Old
08-13-2011, 11:37 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I don't know about that. He signed with Calgary, not San Jose or Vancouver.
I'm pretty sure he took a hometown discount

Old
08-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dreams View Post
I was a bit confused by that comment myself (I was thinking sarcasm). However, Calgary is very close to Hannan's hometown, so maybe that played a role.
Ah, okay. That's different then.

Old
08-17-2011, 04:12 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

apparently the hunter thing got out of hand.

Elite Prospects reported it as a signing AND
Eric Stephens wrote about it

http://ducks.ocregister.com/2011/08/...s-radar/70207/

Old
08-17-2011, 10:19 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

I wouldn't mind us at least giving him a training camp invite to see what he could do. He'd have to take a cheap deal as well I'd think.

Old
08-19-2011, 10:25 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Drury has retired, there goes that idea

Old
08-19-2011, 11:53 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

vCash: 150
too bad

Old
08-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Why I'm glad the Ducks never entered the Jagr derby....

http://www.puckupdate.com/2011/08/22...le+Feedfetcher

Old
08-23-2011, 12:09 AM
alx83*

Meh... it's nothing more than speculation from a blogger. I wouldn't read too much into it. I doubt that the idea behind getting Nylander was forced, and it was more of the Flyers wanting to try it out.

Old
08-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMilli View Post
Meh... it's nothing more than speculation from a blogger. I wouldn't read too much into it. I doubt that the idea behind getting Nylander was forced, and it was more of the Flyers wanting to try it out.
I was a season ticket holder in DC when he was there. Everything he said about them is spot on.

Old
08-23-2011, 12:51 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Wouldn't surprise me in the least that Jagr is throwing his weight around already. Agreed about staying away from him, he'll probably pack up and head back to Russia mid way through the season anyway

Old
08-23-2011, 06:48 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Stir the pot - Crazy prediction

Crazy prediction of mine to stir the pot.

I think the cap will not increase much the next 2-3 years. Especially not at the rate it has been. Then a lot of teams are going to regret some contracts they signed where they paid for potential or expected inflation to make the contract more palatable. In that vein, I think we will be glad we didn't go after guys at FA, but we might regret Cogliano a little bit. Of course this is barring a big change in the formula in the next CBA.

Why: I think some of the cap growth has been artificial. A fraction of the yearly growth is from an increasing players' share of revenues built into the CBA. A fraction of the growth is from some other escalator the players keep voting on, where they seem to be willing to let salaries climb and just live with escrow. And a very large part of the jump was a from one time growths in revenues, such as new TV deals in Canada and the US (I think we're under contract for awhile, maybe someone can correct me. I know the US deal is for 10 years), relocation, and the release of 3rd jerseys leading to increased sales.

In the next few years there is no new media deal in sight and the 3rd jersey card has already pulled. There is also the general economy slowdown that will probably take awhile to resolve. I think there will be 1 more year of revenue growth due to Winnipeg, then the cap will plateau for a little. Some teams will regret long term "growth-predicting" type contracts.

Old
08-30-2011, 12:52 PM
hail2ducks

would you guys do this?

to ducks: Schenn and jvr

to philly: bobby ryan

Im a huge fan of Bobby Ryan, but i think when Selanne retires the ducks second line will have to find a new identity, Schenn would become our second line center and jvr would play with either line.

Bobby Ryan would instantly make philly better, most likely Schenn would be playing a 3rd line center role if he makes it with the philly team but i think the potential for greatness is there with Schenn so it might be worth the risk, we cant always rely on the big 3, we need to spread the wealth out and since philly love bobby and bobby loves philly, would you guys consider doing this for that type of package?

Old
08-30-2011, 01:01 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

It would be tempting to a point because of the potential both players have. My major question mark would be that neither of them have shown enough at NHL level for me yet to justify trading Ryan for them who is a proven top line winger.

They both have potential but I'm really not sure, I'd rather see how Holland / Etem / Palmieri turn out, specially Holland with his new off-season program he's during with Roberts, then trade Ryan as I think a combination of those + maybe Ryan would give us a good second line for the future.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:07 PM
hail2ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
It would be tempting to a point because of the potential both players have. My major question mark would be that neither of them have shown enough at NHL level for me yet to justify trading Ryan for them who is a proven top line winger.

They both have potential but I'm really not sure, I'd rather see how Holland / Etem / Palmieri turn out, specially Holland with his new off-season program he's during with Roberts, then trade Ryan as I think a combination of those + maybe Ryan would give us a good second line for the future.
I understand that but I really think Holland is a bust, he hasnt shown anything that screams to me NHL caliber player, koivu is getting older, i doubt we can lure and decent center from free agency and youth is the way to go imo, I understand these guys havent proven anything yet, but seeing JVR in the playoffs last season was pretty impressive, he was similar to bobby ryan, he uses his body the same way and he is really fast for his size and younger also.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:17 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2ducks View Post
I understand that but I really think Holland is a bust, he hasnt shown anything that screams to me NHL caliber player, koivu is getting older, i doubt we can lure and decent center from free agency and youth is the way to go imo, I understand these guys havent proven anything yet, but seeing JVR in the playoffs last season was pretty impressive, he was similar to bobby ryan, he uses his body the same way and he is really fast for his size and younger also.
TBF to Holland it's hard to judge till he's played a full pro season, he looked great in those 3 games for Syracuse, it's a bit early to be calling him a bust. Specially as he's on that training regime from Roberts that has done wonders for so many other NHL players. I think Holland will have a very stellar AHL season this year and crack the roster in 12-13.

I just think it's a bit too early to be giving up on the likes of Holland yet when he looked very promising in his first pro stint especially.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Sirquacksalot
Raging Boner

Quote:
Considering the Ryan is 24 and JVR is 22 I wouldn't exactly factor in age. They're both young guys.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Where do i sign?

I love Bobby, but those 2 definately replace Bobby. JVR imo will be about as good as Bobby in a year or two and Schenn was the best player for team Canada on WJC and is ready to jump into NHL. He will be great, big center for years to come.

Although, Philly would never do that.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:38 PM
alx83*

Yes. As much as I love Ryan, yes, yes, yes, and yes. I watch Philly religiously (just like the Ducks), and I'd have no fear that JVR could do exactly what Ryan does on the first line. Even after Selanne retires, I definitely see him being able to carry a line in the future like Ryan could.

And on top of all that we get Brayden Schenn?

Old
08-30-2011, 01:50 PM
hail2ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMilli View Post
Yes. As much as I love Ryan, yes, yes, yes, and yes. I watch Philly religiously (just like the Ducks), and I'd have no fear that JVR could do exactly what Ryan does on the first line. Even after Selanne retires, I definitely see him being able to carry a line in the future like Ryan could.

And on top of all that we get Brayden Schenn?
i agree with that, we would definatly need to add something a pick or a good prospect...i think the value is there because bobby already is better then schenn and JVR and Bobby would help philly win the cup better then JVR or schenn would imo

Old
08-30-2011, 01:54 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Ducks get 2 young top 6 forwards for 1 young top 6 forward.

I'll take it.

Old
08-30-2011, 02:00 PM
hail2ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Ducks get 2 young top 6 forwards for 1 young top 6 forward.

I'll take it.
ducks get 2 young top 6 fowards and philly gets 1 top 3 superstar foward who does ESPN highlights and has intangibles son bwahahahahaha

ps: plus a pick

Old
08-30-2011, 02:23 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
This is one of those offers you can't say no to. I love Bobby but that's too good proposal.

Old
08-30-2011, 03:15 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

I don't think the Flyers would do this.

Old
08-30-2011, 03:34 PM
KelVarnsen
Trade Etem!

Quote:
Bit early to call Holland a bust wouldn't you say? Kid has not even played 1 season in the pros. Give him a chance.

As for the proposal, I would do it. It would suck to lose Ryan but the players coming back are pretty good.

Closed Thread