HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What individual player are you happiest won a Cup?

Old
07-19-2011, 01:20 PM
steveat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Really?

He was a no-show. You'd expect a player averaging 1.31 PPG in the regular season over his whole career to do better than 0.92 once playoff time arrives.
I still think he deserved a cup win. Especially being ranked so high in all-time scoring.

To the others..this is about those who have NEVER won the cup, but should have. I saw a few Lanny McDonalds out there..yes, he deserved that win, but he's on the cup already.. Choose someone that didn't win it, but you thionk should have.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:49 PM
begbeee

When Hossa and Satan won it it was nice, but Chara´s win is....is.... something absolutely amazing. He has heart like anybody else, he is maybe the best athlete in the NHL and his work ethic is inspirational.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Doesnt bother me in the least that guys like Claude Lemieux or whomever has or gets their name inscribed on the cup. Cooke or Avery perhaps as they tend to be deliberately malicious & or reckless but even so...... Bobby Clarke was no Choir Boy.....

Players that Id like to see would include most of the aforementioned, particularly Dionne, along with the entire French Connection Line from Buffalo, Salming, Sittler & Giacomon, Rod Gilbert, Howell, pretty long list really.

Pretty hard to top Lanny MacDonald & the fashion in which he got there......

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Soderberg

Most happy for: Timmy, Bergeron, and Bourque.

Matt Cooke doesn't deserve to be on the Cup, extremely biased opinion of course.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:31 PM
rocsfeather
jump

Loved seeing Selanne, would have liked to see Kariya.

rocsfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:51 PM
yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase View Post
Steve Yzerman. Maybe it's a good thing, but people forget that he was branded as a guy who couldn't win it for a time. Now he's thought of as a winner. There's an anecdote that Yzerman was in Vegas and sat down at a table and two other guys got up while one muttered, "There's no winning at this table". Don't know if it's true, but that captured the sentiment for some people until 97.
It happened, quite a few sources talk about it.

"He had been in Las Vegas a few years back. He was sitting at a craps table. Two guys from Windsor recognized him and made the typical fuss. Hey, it's Yzerman from the Red Wings! Then they looked at the gambling action, looked at The Captain, and one of them whispered, "We better get away from here. There's no luck at this table."
Yzerman "wanted to slug 'em," he recalled."

It's also talked about in Hockey gods: The inside story of the Red Wings' Hall of Fame team, but I don't have the book and Google Books doesn't have an excerpt of the page I want.

----
As for the original topic:

1. Yzerman, Chara, Selanne, Pronger, Bourque.
2. Matts Sundin, Saku Koivu, Paul Kariya
3. I can't really think of anyone, as Cooke already won the Cup with the Penguins.

yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Ozz

As a Bruins fan, I've got to go w/Bourque for whom I was happiest.

I don't despise and am not bothered by anyone being on it.

I'd always wished Pavel Bure got his name on it, and on second thought I suppose I could say I hate the '94 Rangers being on it as a whole

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:43 PM
ACB

I'd say Bourque, Lanny, and Tim Thomas

I wish Sundin got one, but as a Leaf. I wouldn't be as happy if he got it as a Canuck

ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:24 AM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Denis Savard

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Wished he had won one:

Dennis Bonvie.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
I wish Mike Gartner had won one with the Rangers in 94. I still think the Rangers would of won the cup if they had not traded him, he would of helped more then Glen Anderson did, and a strong playoff performance on that stage would give him a lot more respect then he currently gets.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 01:44 AM
Peter9

I'm 67 and an avid fan of association football as well as ice hockey for nearly all those years, but in all that time I've written only one fan letter to a sports figure. While my team has always been the Canadiens, after the 1989 final series against Calgary, I was moved to write Lanny McDonald to tell him that the one consolation I had in the Canadiens' loss was that he got to lift the Stanley Cup at long last. It was not a surprise when a month or two later I received through the mail a manila envelope containing a note from McDonald along with autographed photographs--not a surprise because that reflected the reason I wrote him my sole fan letter in the first place. Simply put, he was an extremely likeable good guy who had considerable talent as a player, too.

I've read here that some fans wonder why he's in the Hall of Fame. Assuming for the sake of discussion that McDonald's performance as a player was insufficient to make his selection to the Hall of Fame beyond question, the answer is that likeability counts in all phases of life. It helps get you things like jobs, promotions, awards, honors, recognition and so on. It is particularly helpful when the person in issue is on the margin as far as receiving some benefit. On a lesser scale, it even prompted a lifelong Canadiens supporter to write a fan letter for the only time in his life to a player who spent a large part of his career with a team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, that was the Canadiens' traditional rival and who helped the Calgary Flames defeat the Canadiens in the 1989 finals.

I was highly pleased when Denis Savard became a Stanley Cup winner in 1993, although, unfortunately, he was not on the ice for the game that gave the Canadiens the victory.

I was very pleased that both Maurice Richard and Jean Beliveau closed their careers with Stanley Cup wins. We all knew Beliveau was going to retire when the Canadiens beat the Black Hawks in the 1971 finals. We weren't sure that Richard would retire when the Canadiens defeated the Leafs in the 1960 finals, although he did gather up the puck after scoring against the Leafs, prompting a buzz about his possible retirement. As it turned out, he did report to the Canadiens training camp for the next season but retired involuntarily when Frank Selke called him into his office and told him it was time to go because he was missing too many games through injury.

In retrospect, I'm glad the Hawks won the Cup in 1961, although I was bitterly disappointed when they eliminated my Canadiens in the semifinals. It's another of those "if the Canadiens couldn't win, I'm glad Team X did" situations. Several great players and a couple of admirable ones--all of them deserving a Cup win--got their names on the Cup for the only time in their careers: Glenn Hall, Pierre Pilote, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Eric Nesterenko and Kenny Wharram. I say "in retrospect" because at the time we all thought the Hawks would go on to win several more cups in the 1960s and it was almost unthinkable that Hull, Mikita, Hall and Pilote would never win another.

And I was pleased when Ray Bourque got his name on the Cup at long last. I wouldn't have been as pleased had he done it with the Bruins.

I was delighted when Guy Carbonneau captained the Canadiens to the Cup in 1993, albeit he also got his name on the Cup in 1986 with the Canadiens and in 1999 with the Dallas Stars.

As for players whose names I'd rather not see on the Cup, most of the Boston Bruins of this past season. "Despise" is too strong a word for me in this context; it's still only a game. But I do hope they don't get their names on the Cup again.

I didn't like any of the Flyers' names going on the Stanley Cup in 1974 and 1975. Although the Flyers had some very talented players, their goonery was, in my view, bad for hockey. (Sports Illustrated had put the hex on the Canadiens when it devoted a cover to the Canadiens' 1973 Cup victory that pronounced them the once and future champions.) And so I was particularly delighted when Larry Robinson's name went on the Cup in 1976; he demonstrated to everyone that physicality need not destroy beauty in the game and made Flyers goonery look like, well, goonery.

Off the top, I can't think of any player I'm glad never got his name on the Cup.

I wish Saku Koivu had won the Cup with the Canadiens.

Last edited by Peter9: 07-21-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Peter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 02:53 AM
Sabres1026*

Bourque, Andreychuk and Hasek

Sabres1026* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Peter9

I just learned something I never knew or had forgotten. In an earlier comment I wrote that Glenn Hall was among the Hawk players who "got their names on the Stanley Cup for the only time in their careers" when Chicago won in 1961. But according to Wikipedia (not always to be trusted, I know):

"In the 1952 playoffs he was called up from the minors to be the backup goalie in the finals, but did not play for Detroit. Detroit still put Hall's name on the Stanley Cup, before he had ever played his first NHL game."

Still, although he got his name on the Cup in 1952, Hall didn't really win the Cup that season since he had never played for the Wings at the time.

Last edited by Peter9: 07-21-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Inserted "only" in second sentence to correct misquote.
Old
07-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Soderberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter9 View Post
As for players whose names I'd rather not see on the Cup, most of the Boston Bruins of this past season. "Despise" is too strong a word for me in this context; it's still only a game. But I do hope they don't get their names on the Cup again.
How come? I understand the rivalry but it's not like none of the Bruins deserved it. If the Habs won I wouldn't not want their name on the Cup because of it lol Maybe be annoyed w/ Subban but he would've deserved it.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Peter9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthQuaider View Post
How come? I understand the rivalry but it's not like none of the Bruins deserved it. If the Habs won I wouldn't not want their name on the Cup because of it lol Maybe be annoyed w/ Subban but he would've deserved it.
The original poster asked for players whose names we despised seeing on the Cup or never wanted to see on the Cup. I've responded: I never wanted to see the names of most of the Bruins on the Cup, which means I didn't want them to win the Cup. Of course, having won the Cup, they're going to get their names on it, and I don't quarrel with that obvious proposition.

I'm not going to list reasons I dislike each of numerous players on the Bruins. That would require a very long comment. But one reason has to do with the Pacioretty incident and the Bruins' response to it.

Old
07-22-2011, 01:06 AM
JT Dutch*

... Two guys come to mind immediately for me, guys who I became emotionally attached to during their careers in L.A.:

So bittersweet for me that they did it with other clubs.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 06:56 AM
GuineaPig

It was nice to see Thomas win it, because he's had a rather short but great career.

I really liked Chara when he was in Ottawa, so it was good to see him (and Chris Kelly!) win it as well.

GuineaPig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

1) Denis Savard, Stevie Y, Lanny MacDonald
2) Brad Park, Rick Middleton, Daryl Sittler, Mark Howe, Borje Salming
3) Gary Leeman (mostly because he was an ass and was traded for at the 1993 deadline for a guy I liked, Brian Skrudland). Hate seeing this guys face in Montreal's victory photos. Also hated seeing Pierre Larouche celebrate with the Habs in 1979.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 02:12 PM
habsjunkie2*

Bourque, Stevie Y, Hasek

It wouldn't make me feel good to take someones cup away.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Bexlyspeed

Lanny & Dave Andreychuk. would have loved if Michel Goulet & Peter Statsny could have won one

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2011, 05:26 PM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummoMarx View Post
I was stoked for Bourque when he won in 2001, but over the past ten years my opinion has shifted. He couldn't get the job done in Boston for twenty plus years, so seeing him do it in another uniform seems really off. Especially since the Bruins were pretty fleeced in that deal.
If it wasn't for Ulf, Bourque would have won it in 91 easily.

1. Timmy. Great story, needs to be a movie.
2. Neely
3. Cooke, Claude, Ulf

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 09:43 AM
vikash1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter9 View Post
I'm 67 and an avid fan of association football as well as ice hockey for nearly all those years, but in all that time I've written only one fan letter to a sports figure. While my team has always been the Canadiens, after the 1989 final series against Calgary, I was moved to write Lanny McDonald to tell him that the one consolation I had in the Canadiens' loss was that he got to lift the Stanley Cup at long last. It was not a surprise when a month or two later I received through the mail a manila envelope containing a note from McDonald along with autographed photographs--not a surprise because that reflected the reason I wrote him my sole fan letter in the first place. Simply put, he was an extremely likeable good guy who had considerable talent as a player, too.

I've read here that some fans wonder why he's in the Hall of Fame. Assuming for the sake of discussion that McDonald's performance as a player was insufficient to make his selection to the Hall of Fame beyond question, the answer is that likeability counts in all phases of life. It helps get you things like jobs, promotions, awards, honors, recognition and so on. It is particularly helpful when the person in issue is on the margin as far as receiving some benefit. On a lesser scale, it even prompted a lifelong Canadiens supporter to write a fan letter for the only time in his life to a player who spent a large part of his career with a team, the Toronto Maple Leafs, that was the Canadiens' traditional rival and who helped the Calgary Flames defeat the Canadiens in the 1989 finals.

I was highly pleased when Denis Savard became a Stanley Cup winner in 1993, although, unfortunately, he was not on the ice for the game that gave the Canadiens the victory.

I was very pleased that both Maurice Richard and Jean Beliveau closed their careers with Stanley Cup wins. We all knew Beliveau was going to retire when the Canadiens beat the Black Hawks in the 1971 finals. We weren't sure that Richard would retire when the Canadiens defeated the Leafs in the 1960 finals, although he did gather up the puck after scoring against the Leafs, prompting a buzz about his possible retirement. As it turned out, he did report to the Canadiens training camp for the next season but retired involuntarily when Frank Selke called him into his office and told him it was time to go because he was missing too many games through injury.

In retrospect, I'm glad the Hawks won the Cup in 1961, although I was bitterly disappointed when they eliminated my Canadiens in the semifinals. It's another of those "if the Canadiens couldn't win, I'm glad Team X did" situations. Several great players and a couple of admirable ones--all of them deserving a Cup win--got their names on the Cup for the only time in their careers: Glenn Hall, Pierre Pilote, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Eric Nesterenko and Kenny Wharram. I say "in retrospect" because at the time we all thought the Hawks would go on to win several more cups in the 1960s and it was almost unthinkable that Hull, Mikita, Hall and Pilote would never win another.

And I was pleased when Ray Bourque got his name on the Cup at long last. I wouldn't have been as pleased had he done it with the Bruins.

I was delighted when Guy Carbonneau captained the Canadiens to the Cup in 1993, albeit he also got his name on the Cup in 1986 with the Canadiens and in 1999 with the Dallas Stars.

I didn't like any of the Flyers' names going on the Stanley Cup in 1974 and 1975. Although the Flyers had some very talented players, their goonery was, in my view, bad for hockey. (Sports Illustrated had put the hex on the Canadiens when it devoted a cover to the Canadiens' 1973 Cup victory that pronounced them the once and future champions.) And so I was particularly delighted when Larry Robinson's name went on the Cup in 1976; he demonstrated to everyone that physicality need not destroy beauty in the game and made Flyers goonery look like, well, goonery.

Off the top, I can't think of any player I'm glad never got his name on the Cup.

I wish Saku Koivu had won the Cup with the Canadiens.
Well said, Sir! I recall Larry Robinson mentioning that the only consolation in losing that year was that Lanny got to go out on top. (Both players were consummate gentlemen, both on and off the ice.)

The player I was happiest to see win the Cup (at long last)? Dave Andreychuk.

The player I would've most liked to see win the Cup, but never did? Adam Oates.

The player I wish never won the Cup? Ulf Samuelsson.

vikash1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:40 PM
IggyFan12

Happiest:

Joe Sakic, Lanny and Selanne.

Wish (still time):
Iggy and Alfie

Wish they didnt win:
Vinny Lecav and Nik Khavibulin (still a little bitter about 04 lol)

IggyFan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Gotta be Teemu.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote