HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is Christian Ehrhoff?

Old
07-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Again. He is not a PPQB. He won't be handling the puck or running our PP walking the blueline. He is a shooter, a trigger man. This has already been reiterated by Ruff. You MIGHT see him play the centerpoint on an umbrella, but again, that'd be to shoot, not maintain possession.

Excited to have him nonetheless.
I've seen every game Ehrhoff has played over the last couple years and I disagree with this. Ehrhoff is one of the best in the game at holding and walking the blueline - he's also very good at breaking down the high forward and setting up his teammates for good looks at the net. Throw in his ability to effortlessly carry the puck from his own end into the attacking zone and you've got all the makings of a PP quarterback. Ehrhoff does have a big shot but his quarterbacking ability certainly matches it. He's a top 10 PP defenseman in the NHL IMO.

And you guys will find out pretty quick this nonsense about him being weak defensively is just that, nonsense. He's rarely out of position but when he is he recovers well, has an excellent stick and breaks up most plays before they materialize. There's no doubt this guy is an above average defensive player.

Sabre fans are going to be blown away by this late bloomer. Big loss for Vancouver, huge gain for Buffalo. IMO he's a top 20 defenseman in the NHL.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Dabs21Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I've seen every game Ehrhoff has played over the last couple years and I disagree with this. Ehrhoff is one of the best in the game at holding and walking the blueline - he's also very good at breaking down the high forward and setting up his teammates for good looks at the net. Throw in his ability to effortlessly carry the puck from his own end into the attacking zone and you've got all the makings of a PP quarterback. Ehrhoff does have a big shot but his quarterbacking ability certainly matches it. He's a top 10 PP defenseman in the NHL IMO.

And you guys will find out pretty quick this nonsense about him being weak defensively is just that, nonsense. He's rarely out of position but when he is he recovers well, has an excellent stick and breaks up most plays before they materialize. There's no doubt this guy is an above average defensive player.

Sabre fans are going to be blown away by this late bloomer. Big loss for Vancouver, huge gain for Buffalo. IMO he's a top 20 defenseman in the NHL.
Sounds a lot like the Leopold reaction last year. He was supposedly a one way offensive defenseman who a lot of people thought we overpaid, but he was on the PK and one of our better defensive defensemen IMO.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:57 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

I think the reason most don't see him as a PPQB is because of his utilization in Vancouver as a roamer. He was allowed free reign to move around in the zone and position himself to rip a shot or make a slick pass through traffic. He wasn't asked to be the guy sitting at the blue line directing traffic - that was Edler's job.

Not saying Ehrhoff couldn't be the point guy, but I think the Sabres would be better suited to let Myers do that. Let Ehrhoff roam like he did in Vancouver, with Ennis playing Henrik's spot as the freewheeling passer (not including FOs, obv), Vanek taking the power-scoring role of Kesler and Roy or Leino being Daniel, working below the line and cleaning up the trash in the wide slot.

Re-creating Vancouver's powerplay seems like a pretty good idea, it obviously worked for them

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
I think the reason most don't see him as a PPQB is because of his utilization in Vancouver as a roamer. He was allowed free reign to move around in the zone and position himself to rip a shot or make a slick pass through traffic. He wasn't asked to be the guy sitting at the blue line directing traffic - that was Edler's job.

Not saying Ehrhoff couldn't be the point guy, but I think the Sabres would be better suited to let Myers do that. Let Ehrhoff roam like he did in Vancouver, with Ennis playing Henrik's spot as the freewheeling passer (not including FOs, obv), Vanek taking the power-scoring role of Kesler and Roy or Leino being Daniel, working below the line and cleaning up the trash in the wide slot.

Re-creating Vancouver's powerplay seems like a pretty good idea, it obviously worked for them
On that note, why dont we just sign their PP coach too. Ours doesnt really seem to know what hes doing.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote