HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gauthier and Gainey Transactions

Old
07-19-2011, 02:08 PM
WeeBey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Wee Bey Brice did you watch the Montreal Philly series?

With your comments which conflict with my memory, you made me look up the score sheets. My memory was fine. Our offense was adequate that series, we scored at a healthy pace, but Price was having a nervous breakdown.

May 3rd, 2008, Philly wins 6-4, Price lets in 5 goals on 36 shots
April 30th, Philly wins 4-2, Halak lets in 3 goals on 25 shots
April 28th, Philly wins 3-2, Price lets in 3 goals on 12 shots, gets taken out, and Philly turtles the rest of the game firing only an additional 2 shots on Halak.
April 26th, Philly wins 4-2, Price lets in 4 goals on 23 shots.
April 24th, Montreal wins 4-3, Price lets in 3 goals on 33 shots

His save percentage was .858 and thus we lost 3 of those 4 games with a total score of 15-12 not including an empty netter. Put an average NHL goalie with a .912 save percentage in there, let alone Huet, and we would have outscored them over those 4 games, by a total score of 12-9. We would have won 3 of 4 rather than lost 3 of 4 games.
The first game was gift wrapped to the Habs, the goal by Kovalev was BS and everyone knows it.

2 goals a game on a team we were dominating in almost every other aspect is not a healthy pace in my opinion. Not to mention all the open nets.

I don't know where people get this impression that I'm arguing that Price was GOOD against Philly. He wasn't, he was awful. But how was Gainey supposed to know that he was gonna **** the bed? Price proved to be money in the AHL and the Juniors. He had almost identical numbers to Huet in the regular season--slightly better actually. He was great after Huet was traded, and was good-great in most of the Boston series.

He excelled at almost every level of competitive hockey throughout his career. I don't think it was much of a leap for Gainey to expect him to continue his upward trend. He doesn't have a crystal ball to tell him what will happen, and he doesn't have the benefit of hindsight to make his argument look good, like we do.

Quote:
12 goals in 4 games is actually above average offense. Average offense for the playoffs is 10 goals in 4 games.

With Huet in nets, we were a bona fide stanley cup contender.
And with Price, until the Philly series, we were still a stanley cup contender.

If you want to believe that Huet gets this team past the Penguins or--even more laughably--the Red Wings, then be my guest.

WeeBey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:08 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
We've traded like 5 second rounders in 3 years and have nothing to show for it lol.

1 as part of the Tanguay trade -- total loss, total epic fail.
1 as part of the Schneider trade -- total loss, total epic fail.
1 for Robert Lang, he gave us good times but got a lacerated tendon -- ok.
1 as part of the Tinordi trade -- ok.
1 as part of the Wisniewski trade, took us to game 7 against the SC champions, and got us a 5th rounder -- ok.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
1 as part of the Tanguay trade -- total loss, total epic fail.
1 as part of the Schneider trade -- total loss, total epic fail.
1 for Robert Lang, he gave us good times but got a lacerated tendon -- ok.
1 as part of the Tinordi trade -- ok.
1 as part of the Wisniewski trade, took us to game 7 against the SC champions, and got us a 5th rounder -- ok.
Schneider was actually very good for us. Our PP was good because of him. Obviously, we haven't won anything because of him, but I don't see it as a total epic fail. For me, an epic fail is when you pay a high price for a player that gives you nothing. You know...like when Bill Guerin was traded to the Sharks...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

lol huet talk from 08

the dog days of summer have arrived

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
2 goals a game
???

14 goals in 5 games is not 2 goals per game. The statistics only come out to 2 goals per game if you remove all the games where we scored a number of goals other than 2.

Old
07-19-2011, 02:47 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
???

14 goals in 5 games is not 2 goals per game. The statistics only come out to 2 goals per game if you remove all the games where we scored a number of goals other than 2.
Well, 2 goals is closer to an accurate portrayal of how they really played. They put up an unusually valiant effort in the last game that wasn't consistent with the rest of the series. Plus they only scored 2 legitimate goals in first game.

I don't know why that's the only thing you have to respond to though.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:05 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
I don't know why that's the only thing you have to respond to though.
Because your statement is so egregiously wrong it's difficult to notice anything else.

They put up 14 goals in 5 games, that's 2.8 goals per game, which is above average for the playoffs.

They did have games where they put up as little as 2 goals, but those were games where the goalie collapsed early, allowing the other team to turtle the whole game. A good goalie will win 1 or 2 playoffs games out of 3 if his team puts up 2,2 and 2 goals.

Missing open nets and hitting posts doesn't mean your team sucks at offense, it means it's creating a lot of chances and aiming for the corners.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:10 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Absolute nonsense.

Tons of habs fans knew at the time that 2009 was a debacle and that the team should sell. I am not unique in that regard, it was a standard view among Habs fans.
Any evidence to support this, or are you just using solely your own historical perspective?

I am not doubting that there were people out there, but I would say the majority did not want Souray traded at the deadline.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 03:12 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Because your statement is so egregiously wrong it's difficult to notice anything else.
Lol, right.

Quote:
They put up 14 goals in 5 games, that's 2.8 goals per game, which is above average for the playoffs.

They did have games where they put up as little as 2 goals, but those were games where the goalie collapsed early, allowing the other team to turtle the whole game. A good goalie will win 1 or 2 playoffs games out of 3 if his team puts up 2,2 and 2 goals.

Missing open nets and hitting posts doesn't mean your team sucks at offense, it means it's creating a lot of chances and aiming for the corners.
Missing as many open nets as they did does mean you were having offense problems.

But really, this is a moot point as I pointed out int he rest of my post.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:14 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Any evidence to support this, or are you just using solely your own historical perspective?

I am not doubting that there were people out there, but I would say the majority did not want Souray traded at the deadline.
He's talking about 2009. So the FAs in question at that point were Koivu, Komisarek, Kovalev, Schneider, Tanguay etc.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:26 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
He's talking about 2009. So the FAs in question at that point were Koivu, Komisarek, Kovalev, Schneider, Tanguay etc.
I followed the 2008-09 season very closely, and I remember arguing that the team should trade away the sinking ship, and that my view was not at all unique.

I did not follow Souray's year as closely as I was busy with other things then, however the mechanics look the same and other fans have vouched they supported a trade at the time.

ETA: An alternative to selling Souray, Streit, etc at the deadline would have been to sign him to a contract extension in the season.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:30 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
I followed the 2008-09 season very closely, and I remember arguing that the team should trade away the sinking ship, and that my view was not at all unique.

I did not follow Souray's year as closely as I was busy with other things then, however the mechanics look the same and other fans have vouched they supported a trade at the time.
I was all for a fire-sale during the 2008-09 season. I knew it wouldn't happen though.

The team in 2007 was much better than it was in 2009. They were doing great until that horrible flu hit the team and pretty much every thing went to **** after that. I think they could have made some noise if Huet didn't **** the bed in the last game of the season after Halak put up such a good effort to keep them in the race.

Old
07-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
The Niinima trade was worst than the Gomez trade. The stars have had a close to a PPG player for the last 5 years. If you take the highest scoring Hab from the last 5 years, they wouldn't have the PPG that Ribeiro has.

Gomez while horrible last year, was integral to building a locker room chemistry for the first time in 15 years in Montreal that has been cohesive. He and Gill were integral to setting the tone in the locker room, then Gionto complimented that by leading on the ice with his work ethic. Secondly there was nobody better available to replace him last year or this year. His cap hit isn't holding us back, we have $8m in cap space, that is enough to go after Brad Richards.

Ribero trade <<< Gomez trade
Obviously Gainey wanted to rid himself of Ribeiro (and Dagenais and Théodore at all costs

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 03:37 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Obviously Gainey wanted to rid himself of Ribeiro (and Dagenais and Théodore at all costs
Did he really have get absolutely nothing for him though? Like, literally nothing. I don't think he could have traded him for anything more worthless.

Old
07-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Ouch on a few of these

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post
June 29, 2010 - Sergei Kostitsyn and future considerations traded to Nashville Predators for Dan Ellis, Dustin Boyd and future considerations

March 2, 2010 - Matt D'Agostini traded to St. Louis Blues for Aaron Palushaj

February 11, 2010 - 2nd round pick (Matthew Nieto - San Jose) in 2011 traded to Florida Panthers for Dominic Moore.

November 23, 2009 - Guillaume Latendresse traded to Minnesota Wild for Benoit Pouliot

June 30, 2009 - Chris Higgins, Ryan McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko traded to New York Rangers for Scott Gomez, Tom Pyatt and Michael Busto

February 16, 2009 - 2nd round pick (Jeremy Morin) in 2009, previously acquired from Anaheim and a 3rd round pick (Julian Melchiori) in 2010 traded to Atlanta Thrashers for Mathieu Schneider and a 3rd round pick (Joonas Nattinen) in 2009

September 12, 2008 - 2nd round pick (Jared Knight - Boston) in 2010, previously acquired from Toronto and later traded to Boston in the Phil Kessel deal, traded to Chicago Blackhawks for Robert Lang

June 20, 2008 - 1st round pick (Greg Nemisz) in 2008 and a 2nd round pick (Stefan Elliott - Colorado) in 2009 which was later traded to Colorado, traded to Calgary Flames for Alex Tanguay and a 5th round pick (Maxim Trunev) in 2008

September 30, 2006 - Mike Ribeiro and a 6th round pick (Matthew Tassone) in 2008 traded to Dallas Stars for Janne Niinimaa and a 5th round pick (Andrew Conboy) in 2007
These ones worked out all right:

February 25, 2007 - Craig Rivet and a 5th round pick (Julien Demers) in 2008 traded to San Jose Sharks for Josh Gorges and a 1st round pick (Max Pacioretty) in 2007

June 24, 2006 - 3rd round pick (Jonathan Matsumoto) in 2006 and a 4th Round pick (Jakub Kovar) in 2006 traded to Philadelphia Flyers for a 3rd Round pick (Ryan White) in 2006

July 30, 2005 - 2nd round pick (Marc-Andre Cliche) in 2005 and a 3rd round pick (Brodie Dupont) in 2005 traded to New York Rangers for a 2nd Round pick (Guillaume Latendresse) in 2005

June 26, 2004 - Mathieu Garon and a 3rd round pick (Paul Baier) in 2004, previously acquired from San Jose, traded to Los Angeles Kings for Radek Bonk and Cristobal Huet

March 2, 2004 - Jozef Balej and a 2nd round pick (Bruce Graham) in 2004 traded to New York Rangers for Alex Kovalev

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote