Notices

Jets tie up more RFAs

Old
07-18-2011, 03:33 AM
Tdoe42

vCash: 500
Jets Sign Jason Jaffray

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/07/1...igns-with-jets

MB Moose all-time Leading scorer Signs with the Jets!!

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:04 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 635
*Jason.

Initially I want to say that this is another depth signing for the farm team. TNSE knows him well as a person and a player and he would be an excellent leader to have down on the farm. I do remembe hearing though that Jafs was close to earning a spot on the ducks last year till an injury pretty much took him out of the equation.

My gut says depth signing but if he can function as a good call up player I'll be happy.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:55 AM
Tdoe42

Oops ya need a new keyboard this one took a XL coffee lol...

Ya I can see him starting the year in the AHL because his knee still wasnt 100% during the playoffs last yr but he will have every opportunity to make the big club and MGT believes in him and that will do a lot for his career.

Old
07-18-2011, 06:39 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
I always like Jaffery.
Hope he does well for us.

I would really like to see him make the team out of camp.
Hope he can stay healthy.

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Crazed Fan

I knew this was coming. I hope it all works out.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

He is 30 years old with just 36 NHL games to his name, the odds at this point are incredibly against him. However, it's not impossible. For these kind of players this is a real good feeling and environment coming into, so that alone in my opinion gives him a chance. He's been a pretty solid producer at the AHL level, but his time is running out to ever make the NHL.

I like the move for depth purposes, for St. Johns, and maybe, maybe the Jets. We'll see.

07-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
All-time leading scorer for the Moose, it was really a no-brainer that he would be brought back. Watching some of the games he played this year, no question that he can still be highly productive at the AHL level.

NHL? I wouldn't count it out. Jaffray could provide solid 3rd line minutes on the wing, but it'll be interesting to see how his skating matches up at the NHL level. Last season, there was a noticeable decline in his speed, and he was never that fast to begin with.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 07-18-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Wolf357

TNSE certinley seems to be showing alot of loyalty to the former moose franchise. With the signing of Jaffery, plus Noel, Heisinger,Flaherty and more than likely Keane.

Personally I believe this to be fantastic...build a solid foundation around people who really want to be part of the Jets in Winnipeg and not those who think they are doing us a favor by being here...

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Benji Frank

Looks like Mccardle took a bit of a cut to $600K for a little extra in the AHL $75K on a 1 year deal as well this weekend.....

Benji Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
In before someone tells us to plan the parade.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
TNSE certinley seems to be showing alot of loyalty to the former moose franchise. With the signing of Jaffery, plus Noel, Heisinger,Flaherty and more than likely Keane.

Personally I believe this to be fantastic...build a solid foundation around people who really want to be part of the Jets in Winnipeg and not those who think they are doing us a favor by being here...
Completely agree. Many won't like how TNSE are bringing along 'their people', but to me this is as strong of a foundation as any and stands the potential to be an elite ownership group and well run organization over the test of time.

As of right now, I have zero problems with what they're doing and as a fan am more than willing to put all my eggs in one basket here.

They were one of, if not the most well organized and respected teams and ownership groups in the AHL, whether it's the NHL or not, that says something. You have to start somewhere, and that's exactly what TNSE is doing.

You build from the ground up, you build with good people, trustworthy people, smart people. You can say to me all day and night "Jets fans think TNSE can do no wrong", and as of right now, i'll stand up 100% and say "you're right, I do think TNSE can do no wrong". Until proven otherwise, as a fan, my faith is wholeheartedly in their hands. I'll give anyone a chance, even a second chance, to prove their worth. Will they make mistakes a long the way, of course they will, we're all human. But as of right now, I trust TNSE and the decisions they're making. This team may not get off the hop here with a bang, and that'll be ok. This is a process, but I believe once TNSE has had a respectable amount of time to form and shape this team how they want it and how they envision it, it will lead us to success. Thinking this team will endure success quickly and slamming or blaming TNSE if they don't is being short sighted, in my opinion. It takes some time and it takes some patience to form exactly what they want. If they fail in the long run, the naysayers will have their day and rightfully so, but until then, let the process play itself out.

That was just a bit of rambling on my part to some comments I've read over the last little while regarding TNSE.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-18-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Noeller

I'm actually from Olds, Alberta -- we're sure proud of our boys, both Rosie and Jaff. They're good hockey players, and even better people. Nice to see Jaff sign on with the ol' home province team. Here's hoping he can overcome the injury bug and be a productive player for the organization!

Noeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Completely agree. Many won't like how TNSE are bringing along 'their people', but to me this is as strong of a foundation as any and stands the potential to be an elite ownership group and well run organization over the test of time.

As of right now, I have zero problems with what they're doing and as a fan am more than willing to put all my eggs in one basket here.

They were one of, if not the most well organized and respected teams and ownership groups in the AHL, whether it's the NHL or not, that says something. You have to start somewhere, and that's exactly what TNSE is doing.

You build from the ground up, you build with good people, trustworthy people, smart people. You can say to me all day and night "Jets fans think TNSE can do no wrong", and as of right now, i'll stand up 100% and say "you're right, I do think TNSE can do no wrong". Until proven otherwise, as a fan, my faith is wholeheartedly in their hands. I'll give anyone a chance, even a second chance, to prove their worth. Will they make mistakes a long the way, of course they will, we're all human. But as of right now, I trust TNSE and the decisions they're making. This team may not get off the hop here with a bang, and that'll be ok. This is a process, but I believe once TNSE has had a respectable amount of time to form and shape this team how they want it and how they envision it, it will lead us to success. Thinking this team will endure success quickly and slamming or blaming TNSE if they don't is being short sighted, in my opinion. It takes some time and it takes some patience to form exactly what they want. If they fail in the long run, the naysayers will have their day and rightfully so, but until then, let the process play itself out.

That was just a bit of rambling on my part to some comments I've ready over the last little while regarding TNSE.
Totally agree too the point that we dont even have anything to debate

I find my self hanging around this Oilers group on facebook that ive been in for a couple years cause there is nothing to talk about here lol but ive become QUITE critical off everything they do and its starting to get a lil nasty over there but I like it

Old
07-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

I think Jaffray was very close to becoming a NHL regular before hurting his knee.

This is his last shot and you can bet he knows it. I expect a very focused, in shape and motivated Jaffray in camp this year. Would not at all be surprised to see him crack the roster.

07-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Jets tie up more RFAs

The Winnipeg Free Press is reporting that in addition to Ben Maxwell, Brett Festerling, and Kenndal McArdle, who we've already heard about, the Jets have tied Arturs Kulda, Spencer Machacek, and Riley Holzapfel to contracts.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...125747673.html

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
The Winnipeg Free Press is reporting that in addition to Ben Maxwell, Brett Festerling, and Kenndal McArdle, who we've already heard about, the Jets have tied Arturs Kulda, Spencer Machacek, and Riley Holzapfel to contracts.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...125747673.html
Nice! Now we just have to get Bogo signed so all this ridiculous trade talk about him can stop. (Of course until he has a bad game this year. )

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 11:25 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Nice! Now we just have to get Bogo signed so all this ridiculous trade talk about him can stop. (Of course until he has a bad game this year. )
Then this place can turn into the Canadiens board

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:00 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
In before someone tells us to plan the parade.
Ummm... Yeeeah, you just did, but you worded it in a way so you wouldn't be "that guy", but you just became "that guy" by even bringing it up.

I seen Jaffs play in person for many years, and instantly became a favorite player of mine. I remember when I was just a good looking kid (now a hunky man) who met Mr. Jaffray, spewing stats of his after his first full season with us. He was blown away that I knew so much about him, that when I asked him if I could have his photo taken with him, he said, c'mon guys lets take a photo with this kid. He was so pumped and excited that I wasn't just a typical, "I am your fan", but I had the thesaurus of hockey which was stored in my brain, to back the self-proclaimed No. 1 fan support. Which made his day. Which then in return made my day! Been a fan of No. 15 ever since!

Guy is a hat trick scoring machine. Must have scored nearly a dozen over the years. Played big in important games. Aside from looking really rusty in his first several games back with us this past season (mostly recovering from an injury) I think he has enough jump in his game to land an NHL gig as a full-time employee. That's if he can maintain a healthy year. Doesn't own anything particularly that stands out, but will hustle, and work hard for the puck. Great team-first player and very well liked by fans and his fellow teammates. Loves playing in Winnipeg which has been his second home.

I am extremely happy with this signing, and I wouldn't be surprised if he does get in 70+ games with the Jets. Based on what the team knows about him, and the fact he hasn't looked that bad when he was up with the Canucks (although failed to stick due to the numbers game), and there are guys like your Glen Metropolits and Mathieu Darche's who became NHL regulars in their 30's, makes it even more realistic that it can happen here.

I am very pleased by this signing!

Last edited by PensFan6687: 07-18-2011 at 01:06 PM.
PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Ummm... Yeeeah, you just did, but you worded it in a way so you wouldn't be "that guy", but you just became "that guy" by even bringing it up.

No, you are that guy for making a big deal out of an offhand sarcastic remark. Holy extrapolation, Batman.

Old
07-18-2011, 01:10 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:

No, you are that guy for making a big deal out of an offhand sarcastic remark. Holy extrapolation, Batman.
And you are "that guy" who is overly sensitive. I was having fun, but I guess you missed the boat on that one, and it was a BIG boat and it was right in front of you. They even blew the horn... How did you ever miss that? Anyone who knows me on these forums knows I don't take things seriously and I like to jest. *hands you a flower to Gump Hasek as he blushes, left foot in* It's pretty, accept it!

Old
07-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
And you are "that guy" who is overly sensitive. I was having fun, but I guess you missed the boat on that one, and it was a BIG boat and it was right in front of you. They even blew the horn... How did you ever miss that? Anyone who knows me on these forums knows I don't take things seriously and I like to jest.
Who is sensitive? Why are you reading emotion that isn't there into words; words that are in essence in fact just a series of small dots on a computer screen? Hey that guy, get outside and enjoy some sunshine!

Old
07-18-2011, 01:15 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Who is sensitive? Why are you reading emotion that isn't there into words; words that are in essence in fact just a series of small dots on a computer screen? Hey that guy, get outside and enjoy some sunshine!

Oh I do, my red peely skin is a testament of that. Also, I am running 7 miles a day outside. Mostly at night. Damn heat is insane in the Peg that the curbs on our streets are breaking up. Just have to go down Dunkirk and Fermor or on Bishop to know what I am talking about.

And you are sensitive, but that's okay! You're alright... *ruffles your hair playfully*

Old
07-18-2011, 01:22 PM
BrianL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Nice! Now we just have to get Bogo signed so all this ridiculous trade talk about him can stop.
Getting him signed makes him easier to trade to Edmonton. They know nobody wants to play there.

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:24 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Was there 35 yrs ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post

That was just a bit of rambling on my part to some comments I've ready over the last little while regarding TNSE.

I totally agree with you Guerzy. At this point, IMO TNSE can do no wrong and I've got their back 100%.

I really think the hockey operations guys need a whole season under their belts to get a clear picture of what they have and know how those pieces fit into their long term plans. In the meantime, they will go with the talent they are familiar with to build a solid foundation. It will be interesting to watch their moves once they know what they need and how they'll go about building on that foundation. Those who are not patient will have a hard time initially, but once they see where the organization is going, they'll be pleased.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Jason Jaffray is a useful player to have around. He can play with grit, and can play on the PP and PK. I could even see him being used to fill in on a 1st or 2nd line for a few games and the line would hardly skip a beat. If you check his stats you will see he has 14 goals in 45 AHL playoff games over the last 3 years. It all comes down to his recovery.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote