Jets tie up more RFAs

Old
07-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Oh I do, my red peely skin is a testament of that. Also, I am running 7 miles a day outside. Mostly at night. Damn heat is insane in the Peg that the curbs on our streets are breaking up. Just have to go down Dunkirk and Fermor or on Bishop to know what I am talking about.

And you are sensitive, but that's okay! You're alright... *ruffles your hair playfully*
I know what you mean, we must live in the same area. I've had enough with the slow driving already, I've been using my air conditioning like crazy.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:31 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

sure would be nice to hear about the jets signing some NHL talent....does true north realize they went up a league?...being a character guy mean squat without talent....

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:33 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
sure would be nice to hear about the jets signing some NHL talent....does true north realize they went up a league?...being a character guy mean squat without talent....
no one wanted to sign in Winnipeg....
You know we are the new Edmonton

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 04:57 PM
SixerFixer

Send a message via MSN to SixerFixer
Calder Cup, here we come!

SixerFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 05:10 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Ummm, we have made some decent signings. Remember, we're essentially a first year NHL team under this ownership and management. They want to maintain the youth core and build around it. Slowly get to know the workings of building a team the right way. Getting depth, and local depth. Players who want to play in the city and enjoy being a Jet, play in front of their friends and family vs. players who are just a name. We'll sign the name players, but it takes time. We only had this team for a few months. Just be happy we're icing an NHL team. I trust in this group. They want to do this the right way and that means not over night.

Not every hockey town adopts an NHL team with a lot of star power that has been nicely developed, traded away their superstar draft pick and got everything and the kitchen sink for him and a world class goalie. Just sayin'.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 05:33 PM
saskganesh

Quote:

Not every hockey town adopts an NHL team with a lot of star power that has been nicely developed, traded away their superstar draft pick and got everything and the kitchen sink for him and a world class goalie. Just sayin'.
You mean to say that the Colorado Avalanche were an anomaly and not a reasonable blueprint? I'm shocked.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I'm happy to see this team get some depth for both the NHL and AHL squads.

Everything is proceeding nicely!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Jaffery was a useful player in Calgary for the Flames.

Very versitile.

Good depth move.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 08:36 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I know what you mean, we must live in the same area. I've had enough with the slow driving already, I've been using my air conditioning like crazy.
If so we should hang. These forums are a good set up, way in to meeting someone. Having something in common. Love anything to do about hockey... talking it. Playing it. Collecting it.

Old
07-18-2011, 08:38 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post
You mean to say that the Colorado Avalanche were an anomaly and not a reasonable blueprint? I'm shocked.
You're shocked? Really?! I am shocked that you're shocked! WOW!

Maybe...

Okay, definitely

No.... well, yes... NO! Yes... NO!

Old
07-18-2011, 10:59 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Ummm, we have made some decent signings. Remember, we're essentially a first year NHL team under this ownership and management. They want to maintain the youth core and build around it. Slowly get to know the workings of building a team the right way. Getting depth, and local depth. Players who want to play in the city and enjoy being a Jet, play in front of their friends and family vs. players who are just a name. We'll sign the name players, but it takes time. We only had this team for a few months. Just be happy we're icing an NHL team. I trust in this group. They want to do this the right way and that means not over night.

bah....playing in front of friends and family?...what is this the highlander beer league?

im pretty sure every 30 something hockey player with 36 NHL games to his credit would give their right testicle to play for the jets....i hope you have inside information that he has family in st. johns, because if he ever steps foot on the ice at MTS again we are in deep trouble.

this is not an expansion team....why are you talking like it is....i paid as close attention to them as i could last year when it became apparent that they would be the ones coming and except for the big mid season skid they looked to be close....add a couple of pieces and have the team mature one more year and i think this is a good team.

so far we have signed what 13 guys and let 1 go and in total we have fewer NHL goals from last season on our roster today than we did when we got the team....i dont expect us to sign big name players but i expect NHL calibre players....except for fehr and the UND kid, who may or may not become something, every other new signing has been AHL calibre.

if true north believes that jaffray is the calibre of player that we need on our team we are in for a long bumpy ride...

true north's allegiance to the moose is becoming almost obsessive...ok, you gave their fans all the tickets, you gave the coach and GM NHL promotions, but the line has to be drawn at the players....he's the third moose player they have signed.

im as grateful to true north as anyone but unlike what you suggest, they have to earn my blind trust as far as the hockey operations go...and so far they have not done much to do that in my books....they reached in the draft and have signed an abundance of minor league players and staff....maybe they are geniuses, but they will have to prove it to me.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 07-18-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old
07-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Jet Oil

Quote:
bah....playing in front of friends and family?...what is this the highlander beer league?

im pretty sure every 30 something hockey player with 36 NHL games to his credit would give their right testicle to play for the jets....i hope you have inside information that he has family in st. johns, because if he ever steps foot on the ice at MTS again we are in deep trouble.

this is not an expansion team....why are you talking like it is....i paid as close attention to them as i could last year when it became apparent that they would be the ones coming and except for the big mid season skid they looked to be close....add a couple of pieces and have the team mature one more year and i think this is a good team.

so far we have signed what 8 guys and let 1 go and in total we have fewer NHL goals on our roster today than we did when we got the team....i dont expect us to sign big name players but i expect NHL calibre players....except for the UND kid, who may or may not become something, every other new signing has been AHL calibre.

if true north believes that jaffray is the calibre of player that we need on our team we are in for a long bumpy ride....he is not even a depth signing....none of the players we have signed are.

true north's allegiance to the moose is becoming almost obsessive...ok, you gave their fans all the tickets, you gave the coach and GM NHL promotions, but the line has to be drawn at the players....this is not the AHL.

im as grateful to true north as anyone but unlike what you suggest, they have to earn my blind trust as far as the hockey operations go...and so far they have not done much to do that in my books....they reached in the draft and have signed nothing but minor league players and staff....maybe they are geniuses, but they will have to prove it to me.
How can you possibly say it isn't a depth move. Jaffs is a a guy that bled for the Moose and was nearly a ppg in almost 300 games for them, not even including playoffs. He's a great AHL player and can fill a variety of other roles if he happens to be called up. If Jason Jaffray isn't a depth player, can you please define what a depth player is for me?

He's a damn good depth signing that I'm sure most people were waiting for and wondering why it was taking so long. So are Maxwell, McArdle, Machacek, Kulda, and other good young players that have shown that they have what it takes to play in the AHL, and may one day become solid NHLers.

Jet Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:06 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

who cares if he bled for the moose...this isn't the moose.

he's a 30 year old career minor leaguer....maybe his value is bringing leadership to the ice caps but he adds nothing to the jets themselves....i hope he never plays in winnipeg because that will mean we are awfully thin of NHL calibre players.

i'm all for adding minor league depth but it would be nice to add a player or two who might actually play in winnipeg....

i believe this team is closer than their record last year shows.....except for fehr (who i like) we have added little to our actual NHL roster....

Last edited by peter sullivan: 07-19-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old
07-19-2011, 12:17 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:

he's a 30 year old career minor leaguer....maybe his value is bringing leadership to the ice caps but he adds nothing to the jets themselves....i hope he never plays in winnipeg because that will mean we are awfully thin of NHL calibre players.

i'm all for adding minor league depth but it would be nice to add a player or two who might actually play in winnipeg....

i believe this team is closer than their record last year shows.....except for fehr (who i like) we have added little to our actual NHL roster....
So what is your list of players that they should be bringing in? You rant about the signings they have made, so you must have an idea of what they are doing wrong.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:45 AM
mondo3

How likely are any of the other's in that list making the Jets?

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:54 AM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:

Wrong on bolded part.

You do realize that the Jets/TNSE now run two hockey franchises in two different leagues, the AHL and NHL, correct? They need to sign players for both teams/leagues now.

Does it surprise you that they would sign Moose players they are familiar with to play for the Moose (now called Ice Caps or whatever), which is now the Jets' farm team. Do you not realize that players on an NHL farm team can potentially play for the NHL parent team (you know the AHL is a development league for the NHL, right?) That doesn't mean they will play for the Jets. They are the reserves if you will.

Do you think the Jets should stop signing players for St. John's so that people will stop complaining and assuming all those players are being signed to be a major part of the Jets? We'd have a terrible farm system if they did that, but at least some people would stop *****ing about every minor signing the Jets/Ice Caps make.

Last edited by MAROONSRoad: 07-19-2011 at 01:05 AM.
MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:21 AM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

^ agreed...if that is indeed the point of all of these 'depth' signings.

the argument was being made however that he is a good signing because he likes playing in front of his friends in winnipeg.

i also don't see a guy like jaffray as a 'development' player....

i fully understand that they are building an AHL team as well and that could be the reason for signing all of this marginal talent that will hopefully never play in winnipeg....just wouldn't mind a tad more attention being paid to the team that will step on the ice at MTS in october.

with a dozen new signings, has the team that will play the habs on opening night gotten any better?....not really....my point is why not?...

seems like their priority is making st. john's competitive....few of these players will likely even help the jets in the future...

Last edited by peter sullivan: 07-19-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old
07-19-2011, 02:52 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
^ agreed...if that is indeed the point of all of these 'depth' signings.

the argument was being made however that he is a good signing because he likes playing in front of his friends in winnipeg.

i also don't see a guy like jaffray as a 'development' player....

i fully understand that they are building an AHL team as well and that could be the reason for signing all of this marginal talent that will hopefully never play in winnipeg....just wouldn't mind a tad more attention being paid to the team that will step on the ice at MTS in october.

with a dozen new signings, has the team that will play the habs on opening night gotten any better?....not really....my point is why not?...

seems like their priority is making st. john's competitive....few of these players will likely even help the jets in the future...
Perhaps in their expert opinion (unlike your expert opinion) they aren't as close to being a true playoff team. I would imagine that the teams goal is not to sneak into the playoffs as the eighth seed every year. So perhaps rather than hand out inflated contracts due to a poor free agency class, they figured they were better seeing how our youth developed and resigning players that they thought could help us contend for CUPS not contend for playoff games.

There have been countless number of people coming and whining about the lack of players signed to play on the Jets. But few can point out players that we should have signed without severly overpaying. Leino was one player that everyone talked about and it came out that we sent out some feelers, and learned that he was fetching 4.5 mil a year. I for one don't think that is an appropriate price tag fora guy who I believe had a career high 19 goals last year.

Enough with the sky is falling routine, if indeed we were that close to being a playoff team last year then i think the maturation of some of our players coupled with the addition of Fehr would offset the loss of Stewart and we would improve our team to the point where we could make the playoffs this year. Do I think that this team will make the playoffs? Maybe, maybe not. But I would much rather build a team to compete in 5 years than to contend for a playoff spot by overpaying and damaging our resources in the future.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 69
Before I say anything, I think it should be stated what TNSE intentions are here, in which they have made it abundantly clear. They are going to build through the draft. Anyone who thinks they should have went out and thrown 3.5 at Scottie Upshall, 4.5 at Erik Cole, 3 million at Joel Ward, 4.5 at Fleischmann, 4.75 for Tim Connolly, etc.. those signings are off the wall in my opinion. This isn't NHL 11.

TNSE said right from the get-go what their intentions are here, so if you're sitting here disappointed in what has happened to date regarding UFA signings, you've simply set your expectations in an unrealistic place.

Could this team be close to a legitimate playoff team? sure they could be, I think they are. But, with that being said, TNSE just got their hands on this team so in my opinion if they want to take things a little slow here, sit tight and actually watch, observe and form opinions on this team, then by all means that makes sense to me. This is a process and it isn't going to unfold over night, if you believe or want it to, you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.

If we are sitting here a year from now saying the same things and seeing the same moves being made by Cheveldayoff and co, then I will be disappointed. In my opinion within the next year (season) this management group deserve to watch this team for themselves and form opinions which will help them make decisions as we go forward here. I am a firm believer that this group (team) is close to being a legitimate playoff team, but like TNSE, I would also like to see what we've got before we go on a spending spree or trading spree to try and improve the roster.

I will gladly be fine if management wants to take this season to observe this team as it is right now and possibly make some moves along the way as they see fit, get their own personal grasp on things, form their own opinions and define their own direction. But come next offseason, I expect to see improvements and additions to this roster.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-19-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 69
And let's be serious here, anybody sitting around concerned that we've made depth signings need to take a look at the roster and see just how many of these 'depth signings' are likely to even be on the NHL roster.

In my opinion, these forwards are guaranteed to be on the roster - Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Burmistrov, Fehr, Antropov, Slater, Thorburn, Glass, Rypien with likely 2 of Maxwell, Stapleton, Machecek, Cormier, McArdle, Gregoire, Klingberg, Jaffray.

So, does anyone really see a reason to be worried that all of these 'AHL calibre depth signings' are going to be on the roster? Take a deep breath and see how many spots are even likely to be available.

On defence, Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Hainsey, Stuart, Oduya, Jones. That's likely what we are looking at. Depth guys? Meech, Postma, Kulda, Flood, Gagnon, Festerling.

Again, does anyone really see a reason to be worried that all of these 'AHL calibre depth signings' are going to be on the roster? The answer is clear, no, they won't be. Barring injury for example, these guys are depth/AHL signings and in all likelihood will not be on the roster otherwise.

We see all this mumbo jumbo freaking out about how all we're doing is signing depth guys and not addressing our NHL roster. Ya, ok, true... but look at the NHL roster, it's pretty well set barring any tinkering from now until the season begins, which Chevy said may happen. And again, management are likely going to watch this roster as it is today to the point in which they can see things for themselves, form their own opinions, observe things on their own watch, define the direction they want to go and which players they want to have.

Not to sound arrogant, but it's a really simple concept.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-19-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:01 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
And let's be serious here, anybody sitting around concerned that we've made depth signings need to take a look at the roster and see just how many of these 'depth signings' are likely to even be on the NHL roster.

In my opinion, these forwards are guaranteed to be on the roster - Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Burmistrov, Fehr, Antropov, Slater, Thorburn, Glass, Rypien with likely 2 of Maxwell, Stapleton, Machecek, Cormier, McArdle, Gregoire, Klingberg, Jaffray.

So, does anyone really see a reason to be worried that all of these 'AHL calibre depth signings' are going to be on the roster? Take a deep breath and see how many spots are even likely to be available.

On defence, Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Hainsey, Stuart, Oduya, Jones. That's likely what we are looking at. Depth guys? Meech, Postma, Kulda, Flood, Gagnon, Festerling.

Again, does anyone really see a reason to be worried that all of these 'AHL calibre depth signings' are going to be on the roster? The answer is clear, no, they won't be. Barring injury for example, these guys are depth/AHL signings and in all likelihood will not be on the roster otherwise.

We see all this mumbo jumbo freaking out about how all we're doing is signing depth guys and not addressing our NHL roster. Ya, ok, true... but look at the NHL roster, it's pretty well set. And again, management are likely going to watch this roster as it is today to the point in which they can see things for themselves, form their own opinions, observe things on their own watch, define the direction they want to go and which players they want to have.

Not to sound arrogant, but it's a really simple concept.
Agreed, depth is always a great thing. This team has so many guys on the upswing and players like Kane, Little, Burmy, etc, have an unlimited ceiling. I think the management is doing the right thing by seeing how or if these players will continue to improve this year, if not make the changes after opinions are formed.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:10 AM
missedthejets

excellent news and hey! I'm pretty impressed with Chevy thus far - he's not over reaching or over paying (considering the Winnipeg market). So far so good - esp. on the Wheeler deal!

missedthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:33 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I could see him turning into a Mathieu Darche-type player.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:59 AM
thelos
Bunk

are we close to the 50 contract limit?

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:37 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

guerzy, i agree with you....most of these signing appear to be for the AHL....that is my point....little has been done to improve the NHL team...as a fan, i am not only entitled to criticise that, but i am expected to...this is a team that has played 4 playoff games in its history....there must be something to improve on....surely AHL depth is not our biggest problem.

it is reasonable to hope that management is assessing what is lacking on the NHL roster and make moves to fill those shortfalls....it does not appear that is what they are doing....none of these players fill any holes that the jets have.

i also agree that overpaying free agents is not the answer....i never said it was...there are ways to improve the team without doing that....the sky isnt falling, but i wonder why nobody else seems to care that the NHL roster is not being improved upon.

again....my concern is that except for Fehr nobody has been added to the roster who will help the NHL team.....jaffray is being celebrated by some as a guy who can play a role on the team based on what they saw him do in the plumber league....i was only disputing that claim.

there are really only a few players on a farm team who are actually being developed for the big team....the rest isnt depth, its just filler because you need so many players to ice a team...most of these signings are in the latter category....they are not being groomed for future 'CUPS', as wpgsilver suggests.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 07-19-2011 at 04:49 PM.