Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets tie up more RFAs

Old
07-20-2011, 01:41 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Again this all goes back to Chevy stating that this team is looking to build through the draft.

He isn't trading away this teams future to make a playoff push. For which I'm glad.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 01:44 AM
mondo3

vCash: 500
The only other potential is to sign players that have to be dumped by other teams who have exceeded their cap

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
guerzy, i agree with you....most of these signing appear to be for the AHL....that is my point....little has been done to improve the NHL team...as a fan, i am not only entitled to criticise that, but i am expected to...this is a team that has played 4 playoff games in its history....there must be something to improve on....surely AHL depth is not our biggest problem.

it is reasonable to hope that management is assessing what is lacking on the NHL roster and make moves to fill those shortfalls....it does not appear that is what they are doing....none of these players fill any holes that the jets have.

i also agree that overpaying free agents is not the answer....i never said it was...there are ways to improve the team without doing that....the sky isnt falling, but i wonder why nobody else seems to care that the NHL roster is not being improved upon.

again....my concern is that except for Fehr nobody has been added to the roster who will help the NHL team.....jaffray is being celebrated by some as a guy who can play a role on the team based on what they saw him do in the plumber league....i was only disputing that claim.

there are really only a few players on a farm team who are actually being developed for the big team....the rest isnt depth, its just filler because you need so many players to ice a team...most of these signings are in the latter category....they are not being groomed for future 'CUPS', as wpgsilver suggests.

I see what you're saying, but again, management has made their intentions here abundantly clear. Though I respect your opinions as we all get to freely and rightfully so voice them. I think not many are making a big deal about this because they've heard and understand what the process is going to be here. I want moves to, I want to see guys added that will improve the team going forward here. I think this core is ready to see additions in which will take them to the next level. However, I think management may want to see things for themselves before making any serious moves, so with that being said, I can understand that. If and when the holes of this roster reveal their glaring weaknesses, I feel management will be proactive in addressing these holes.

Also, Chevy said a week and a half or so ago that there is plenty of time between now and the beginning of the season, changes are still possible for this roster.

With that being said, I just found this quote from a Kevin Cheveldayoff press conference from Illegal Curve, perhaps it will make some feel better.

http://illegalcurve.com/2011/07/19/k...-conference-2/

Quote:
On the possibility of any additional roster moves

“I think that you’re always looking, there are some interesting options potentially out there. It’s kind of a time period now, you get the rush right after free agency, maybe the next couple days after there’s a little bit of things going on, you get your RFA situation in order, if you have an arbitration you have to deal with that. Maybe you have a unique circumstance in the negotiation side like we do with Zach that takes its own course in time. You look at all different things, the hockey industry will slow down a little bit and will pick up in August sometime and we’ll head right into the season there. You’re always looking you’re always talking, to say what you see today will be there tomorrow is hard to say at this time.”

“I think you’re always looking for that, it’s got to be a right fit for the mesh of guys, you want them to mesh together. For us obviously, you look at the roster right now there’s probably some room, you could add some forwards, we think our defense is pretty deep with respect to the national league side and the depth side. Certainly if the right opportunity presents itself at forward or defense, we’re going to look at it.”

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:11 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
who cares if he bled for the moose...this isn't the moose.

he's a 30 year old career minor leaguer....maybe his value is bringing leadership to the ice caps but he adds nothing to the jets themselves....i hope he never plays in winnipeg because that will mean we are awfully thin of NHL calibre players.

i'm all for adding minor league depth but it would be nice to add a player or two who might actually play in winnipeg....

i believe this team is closer than their record last year shows.....except for fehr (who i like) we have added little to our actual NHL roster....

Anyway, that's just a gripe I have with your posts. That's small potatoes. What isn't, is the fact you're (not that word again!) "dismissive" about the significance and importance of good quality depth. Heck, minor league quality players. We want guys that bleed Winnipeg and the former Moose because they want to be here vs. need to be here. At the end of the day it's just a job and they are collecting a paycheck at the end of the day. Then it's back home, wherever home is. That's not what we want. We want them to love playing their hearts out for us. Not see this as a job, but more as a passionate game where the chips matter because there is a lot at stake here.

Great minor league teams, your NHL team's core developmental system, setup, whatever you like to call it, for the most part, breathe success into its parent club. One has to look at the WBS Penguins, Hershey Bears, and the Manitoba Moose to see the effect that successful farm clubs have on their NHL counterparts.

Look at a minor league affiliate as the foundation of your NHL team. Lets use the Winnipeg Jets for example. The roof is your best star players and leaders. Guys that lead by example and set the bar on your NHL team. Those would be the Buffs, Kanes, and Enstroms. Using the house metaphor, they say your two most important factors when purchasing into a new home is, (1) the foundation and (2) the roof. Another metaphor one could use is when we're dressed for a Winnipeg winter... the two most important things they tell us to keep warm is our head and feet. We need success to filter throughout our system, and that goes into the minors. Look at how well the Manitoba Moose management developed the Canucks prospects, and even found talent with their own scouts for Vancouver. Alexandre Burrows ring a bell? How about Alexandre Bolduc? The list goes on. I doubt Vancouver would have had the success they had, had it not been for the Moose seeing as two thirds of that Cup run team were made up of guys who played here.

So getting depth where depth is needed is important and required to build a successful NHL team. Signing depth shouldn't be shunned upon or looked with in disdain or ignorance. We're a new team, or an old team rebooting basically to square 1 with the exception it has an already developing core in place. As others have said before, Chevy is looking to build through the draft, because as we have seen with Chicago and Pittsburgh, that often leads to immediate success. Immediate to me is approximately 5 years. Maybe less. In our case, I could see the sooner rather than the later happening. By that, I mean being a contender.

Jason Jaffray is a player not to be taken lightly. Guys like him are great leaders/role models for your minor league roster. Star players that can produce, but also possess the work ethic, determination, and tangibles to play in the NHL. Problem with the past is being signed to a two-way contract, when you got guys coming back on one-way NHL deals, you get shifted back down to the minors due to the numbers game. He was a very serviceable NHLer for the Canucks in his time there. Either as a third or 4th line grinder, or even as an extra forward. He was serviceable. The numbers game effected him or in the case of Anaheim, he was hurt. I rather have a guy like him, who has some offensive upside, a guy who bleeds for this system, management, and coaching staff, not to mention the city and its fans vs. another guy like him who we know nothing about, how he plays with others. If he plays well with others.

I sometimes get the feeling that these HF peeps only look at the stats and follow just the NHL and value everything based on that vs. watching guys I have seen day-in-and-day-out and have a great idea of what they are capable of, and if they are even NHL credible or serviceable players. Which as an educated hockey fan who follows the minor league levels, gets a good gage/idea of that. It's why guys like Chevy and Zinger know to jump on those guys. They have history of these players. Know what they bring. They won't sign just anyone. If they feel a player has zero character, had no desire or attention to play here, or doesn't have the skillset to advance to the next level (NHL), then they wouldn't have signed those individuals. I trust in TNSE, because so far they have done everything extremely well, even pre-Atlanta Thrashers purchase.

And remember, not all of these players will advance and make the NHL roster on opening day, if ever. But you need those filler players to also make the jump up when a guy is down. Nobody is saying that either, but stop thinking you know what's better for this team than guys who have experienced great success at the highest levels in hockey.

Last edited by PensFan6687: 07-21-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Leave it out, not necessary
PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:30 PM
PensFan6687

Sorry for going off on a tangent. I am a story teller. I like to explain things in great detail. lol

Anyway, to add to the already exhausting explanation why the depth signings and the minor league player is important, even if they may never see the light of day in the NHL, is simple: If I was never an AHL season ticket holder, I wouldn't know just what kind of impact a vet in the A could have on a kid and help his development along, like a Baumgartner or Keane (yes Keaner was a big-time NHLer) but as minor league vets who would never play in the NHL again, save a game here or there, were great at giving advice and tutoring kids like Cody Hodgson.

Better yet, I wouldn't know how good a Jason Jaffray and Eddie Lack were to have on the home team that may not be in the NHL at this present time, if I didn't see either one play. Especially Lack, I see a potential top 5 NHL starter one day in the undrafted big lumbering goalie.

I just wished people wouldn't roll their eyes on the small names, because these guys do have significance. I admit it's not as flashy as landing a Brad Richards name, but if you're a new NHL team or old one starting fresh, you want to do it right. Play it smart. It's only been months we have had this team, so patience is key. We haven't even iced the final roster for opening day against the Habs yet, so lets not be premature and rush into things. Lets have faith. I believe things are heading into a nice direction. I love the whole Winnipeg/Manitoba born and Moose signings. Nothing gives you more character than guys who love playing in a place they view as home. It might be out-of-the-box thinking on this management's part, but usually thinking outside of the box, gives you some of the best results. I like the fact we're building a community and family with this team more than we have seen before. Players often play harder in front of their own community, family and friends then they do in a city which they are in a whole other world, detached from all those they love, except for maybe the wife, girlfriend, and/or kids.

After all, they say home is where the heart is. Stronger the heart, the better the production. I like that logic.

Last edited by PensFan6687: 07-21-2011 at 04:41 PM.
PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote