HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

LA Kings Defenseman Prospect Jake Muzzin Likely To Be Waiting Awhile For His Turn

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2011, 05:02 AM
  #1
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
LA Kings Defenseman Prospect Jake Muzzin Likely To Be Waiting Awhile For His Turn

Los Angeles Kings Defenseman Prospect Jake Muzzin Likely To Be Waiting Awhile For His Turn

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:22 PM
  #2
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 6,872
vCash: 500
He might get his chance sooner than later....If someone goes down to an injury he will be the right there with Voynov for the 1st call up....And one year from now, Willie Mitchell is a UFA.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:25 PM
  #3
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
sucks that Martinez stole the job from his last year. He did nothing wrong in his time in the big leagues, Martinez just outplayed him. Unfortunately, the same will probably happen with Hickey and Voynov taking the job's from him aswell, and then Forbort to top it off

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:39 PM
  #4
cnshockey
A World Alone
 
cnshockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,088
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
sucks that Martinez stole the job from his last year. He did nothing wrong in his time in the big leagues, Martinez just outplayed him. Unfortunately, the same will probably happen with Hickey and Voynov taking the job's from him aswell, and then Forbort to top it off
I'm thoroughly convinved Hickey will amount to nothing at the NHL level. Right now I think Muzzin is the most well rounded player not on our NHL blueline.

cnshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:43 PM
  #5
riseandfall9
Registered User
 
riseandfall9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
sucks that Martinez stole the job from his last year. He did nothing wrong in his time in the big leagues, Martinez just outplayed him. Unfortunately, the same will probably happen with Hickey and Voynov taking the job's from him aswell, and then Forbort to top it off
It doesn't suck. A-Mart is going to be great next year just how great is yet to be seen. Doughty scored 27 points in his first 81 games. A Mart had 16 points in 21 games less then Doughty. Now I am not saying that A-Mart is going to put up Doughty like numbers next year but that potential jump in A-Mart`s game with almost a full year of NHL experience under his belt may be something very special. Heck if he stays the same without improvement hes still a pretty good player. I mean the way he skates, see`s the ice and his positioning are all solid.

Muzzin will get his chance before Voynov or Hickey in my eyes. Its an exciting time for our D right now and as fans we shouldn't be disappointing that another player made a bigger push at the right time.

I guess the old saying of rooting for the name on the front not the name of the back works here

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:46 PM
  #6
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
It doesn't suck. A-Mart is going to be great next year just how great is yet to be seen. Doughty scored 27 points in his first 81 games. A Mart had 16 points in 21 games less then Doughty. Now I am not saying that A-Mart is going to put up Doughty like numbers next year but that potential jump in A-Mart`s game with almost a full year of NHL experience under his belt may be something very special. Heck if he stays the same without improvement hes still a pretty good player. I mean the way he skates, see`s the ice and his positioning are all solid.

Muzzin will get his chance before Voynov or Hickey in my eyes. Its an exciting time for our D right now and as fans we shouldn't be disappointing that another player made a bigger push at the right time.

I guess the old saying of rooting for the name on the front not the name of the back works here
oh ye i agree, i guess it came out the wrong way. I meant it sucks for Muzzin that that happened. Im a HUGE A-Mart fan (plan on getting his jersey now he's signed for a bit longer) and i think he will stay with the Kings for quite a while. I see him as a future top 4 dman, ideally playing alongside JJ in the Kings future

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:02 PM
  #7
riseandfall9
Registered User
 
riseandfall9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
oh ye i agree, i guess it came out the wrong way. I meant it sucks for Muzzin that that happened. Im a HUGE A-Mart fan (plan on getting his jersey now he's signed for a bit longer) and i think he will stay with the Kings for quite a while. I see him as a future top 4 dman, ideally playing alongside JJ in the Kings future
Oh I get it now

Even though I was really young Muzzin kinda reminds me of Philip Boucher. They are extremely similar in the way they play. They are both big, they both have a good shot from the point and there speed and ice vision are right there. I know Boucher was either unlike d or under appreciated, I think Muzzin has a better turn out and a better NHL career which for Kings fans as long as he`s with us isn't such a bag thing in my guesstimation.

And I know a lot of people hate Basketball... But Muzzin`s situation reminds me of Andrew Bynum of the Lakers a lot. Lots of injury's early on in his development and not enough proof that he had what it takes for a franchise to take a risk on him. Its a No risk, High reward issue right now and I am going to be very excited to watch how it pans out.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:08 PM
  #8
riseandfall9
Registered User
 
riseandfall9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I'm thoroughly convinved Hickey will amount to nothing at the NHL level. Right now I think Muzzin is the most well rounded player not on our NHL blueline.
I disagree. I think Voynov is the most well rounded player not on our NHL blue line. With that being said its no secret I am a big Muzzin fan.

I am not sure about Hickey... I just don't know where it goes at this point because we have a plethora of amazingly talented Defenseman in our organization(god it feels good to say that).

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:21 PM
  #9
cnshockey
A World Alone
 
cnshockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,088
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
I disagree. I think Voynov is the most well rounded player not on our NHL blue line. With that being said its no secret I am a big Muzzin fan.

I am not sure about Hickey... I just don't know where it goes at this point because we have a plethora of amazingly talented Defenseman in our organization(god it feels good to say that).
Voynov is not that good defensively. Thats the only thing holding him back from being in the NHL. I think Muzzin brings physicality, good defensive ability, and a decent offensive skills.

cnshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:27 PM
  #10
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Muzzin will have to clearly set himself at a higher level than Voynov or Hickey to be the first call up. If he's only on par with either, he won't get the nod as we know Lombardi will choose the guy who has paid more dues if all else is equal. I believe Muzz can make that distinction. He's got some serious game and a FANTASTIC attitude.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:45 PM
  #11
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,207
vCash: 500
Muzz's chances of playing with the big club this year depends on what the team needs. If one of Greene/Scuderi/Mitchell gets injured I think Muzzin gets bumped up. If one of Doughty/Johnson/Martinez gets injured I think Voynov comes in.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:50 PM
  #12
KingCanadain1976
Registered User
 
KingCanadain1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,989
vCash: 500
I really like jakes game and hope he makes the kings out of training camp.I really think the Kings need to look at moving a vet. defenceman. This would leave a spot open for one of the kids ( lord knows we proberly have at least 4 who are ready for a taste of the nhl life) at worst rotate them giving them all the 9 games then pick one or trade for a vet to play. We also have drew drewsike that can and should get some games.

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:05 PM
  #13
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!
 
Tonellisghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: twillingate NFLD
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I'm thoroughly convinved Hickey will amount to nothing at the NHL level. Right now I think Muzzin is the most well rounded player not on our NHL blueline.
Just curious why you think this?

I also am curious about your feelings on Voynov. It used to be a knock that he was too forward minded but he has addressed this and I would compare him favorably with a young Visnovsky only that Voynov is a better positional player down low where Vis uses his speed and ability to react to a play to make his play.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:23 PM
  #14
cnshockey
A World Alone
 
cnshockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,088
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Just curious why you think this?

I also am curious about your feelings on Voynov. It used to be a knock that he was too forward minded but he has addressed this and I would compare him favorably with a young Visnovsky only that Voynov is a better positional player down low where Vis uses his speed and ability to react to a play to make his play.
I just have this feeling inside me that things just simply won't work out for Hickey in LA. His injuries and the depth we have just makes me feel he's the odd man out.

As for Voynov, I haven't seen him play but that's from all reports that I read that he still needs to work on his defensive game. Personally, I think he's ready and able to step in next year and put up points but we'll see.

cnshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:39 PM
  #15
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!
 
Tonellisghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: twillingate NFLD
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,740
vCash: 500
Fair enough.

That is the trouble with having such an amazing amount of depth at a position, there is going to have to be a few players who either wait or get moved in order for everything to work out for the best.

I see Hickey still fleshing out as a second pairing Dman in the NHL at the worst. His skating is truly a level above several NHLers and his determination should get him where he needs to go. I am not certain that is with the Kings either.

As to Voynov I am one of the few people who follow our prospects extremely close up who thinks that Voynov has made the necessary adjustments to his game and that he is completely ready to make the leap to the NHL.

If you watch where he positions himself in training camp this year and then keep an eye at the angles that he keeps his feet while in his own zone you will see allot of what I mean. Last year and during this past season in Manch he started off by doing allot of scrambling to get into position and his feet where always facing the blue line when his back was to the net.

About mid season he started applying his knowledge of where he was supposed to be in line with where he was and as a result his positioning straightened out and his feet started facing/following the puck making it easier for him to be able to close on the play.

This is something that is constantly being preached to Dmen at every level by good coaches (the footing thing) but under takes a ton of time to teach during a game making it take some players years to grasp and some never get. Voynov seems to have gotten it this past season and that was the final piece imo for him to make the jump.

A good players feet to watch is DD. It is one of the reasons that I have been so high on the kid since his Jr days. His positional play is just shockingly great but his feet are one of a kind and right there with Bobby Orr and Paul Cafe's imo. It comes so naturally to him that it makes him look lazy almost. He just doesn't have to work at parts of the game where everyone else never stops working at trying to perfect.

Thanks for the quick response.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:42 PM
  #16
Fripp
Registered User
 
Fripp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 1,817
vCash: 500
Lots here were pretty enamored with Muzzin during his cup of coffee, but I'll say it - he was god f'ing awful. Corvo-vian defensive decisions. Looked like the game was just too fast for him.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:47 PM
  #17
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!
 
Tonellisghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: twillingate NFLD
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,740
vCash: 500
For a rookie who played 11 games put up an assist and was -1 I think he did an excellent job during his first cup of tea with the team.

Maybe its a situation of managing expectations?

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:33 PM
  #18
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripp View Post
Lots here were pretty enamored with Muzzin during his cup of coffee, but I'll say it - he was god f'ing awful. Corvo-vian defensive decisions. Looked like the game was just too fast for him.
jeez, what were you expecting of him? I thought he was actually very very solid defensively, which is the most important part. I'd say he performed better than most rookies do in their first 11 games

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:44 PM
  #19
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,564
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Muzzin wasn't bad, but I don't think he was all that great either. I mean last year he was out played by Hickey, who was out played by Fransson. He made it last year due to his style of play.

Fransson>Hickey>Muzzin

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:47 PM
  #20
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripp View Post
Lots here were pretty enamored with Muzzin during his cup of coffee, but I'll say it - he was god f'ing awful. Corvo-vian defensive decisions. Looked like the game was just too fast for him.
Martinez wasn't too impressive in his initial call up. I think Muzz did a fine job considering the situation.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2011, 09:05 AM
  #21
sBarry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I just have this feeling inside me that things just simply won't work out for Hickey in LA. His injuries and the depth we have just makes me feel he's the odd man out.

As for Voynov, I haven't seen him play but that's from all reports that I read that he still needs to work on his defensive game. Personally, I think he's ready and able to step in next year and put up points but we'll see.
I'd say Voynovs biggest problem was that he used to get caught pinching several times a game, trying to jump into the rush. But he's gotten better with picking his spots to pinch, and his terrific speed makes up for it sometimes. But yeah aside from the occasional bone headed lapse I'd say he's NHL ready.

I love the game Muzzy brings. Huge shot from the point, good positioning, and a willingness to make big hits.

sBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.