HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

It's gotta happen soon...

Old
07-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
I check TSN every day (multiple times) as I just have a gut feeling some Islander news will knock me out of my chair... and quite soon.

I pray for 2 things:

1. that we don't get fleeced

2. that the move makes overwhelming sense

Don't make a move, just to make a move Garth..... we've come too far.
I think Snow has shown us it might be kinda tough to fleece him.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 02:11 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
Close.. But that's really just starting negotiations it honestly would probably take more than that to keep Lombardi on the line for a little longer. I know we value our guys very highly, as we should, but Doughty is a franchise.. FRANCHISE defensemen it's going to take a huge amount to nab him.

@DocAzura

Smyth and Doughty are two vastly gigantic ridiculously different situations. I get that message boards or for speculating and wishing for players to come here but Doughty is a PIPE DREAM. Just like Stamkos it's not happening and to really think he is actually in play is ludicrous in itself.
I disagree somewhat here.

1. Either Doughty's on the market or he's not
2. Assuming he is -- well that means LA is at an impasse or is not sold on him for whatever crazy reason
3. That deal gets it done, assuming no other's bid higher. Those are 3 high end prospects. One of them, Strome, has star potential. While Bailey has struggled, his upside still remains very high. Ditto for Dehaan. Not over valuing our players.... they are what I say above... prospects that any team would kill for regardless of what Isles fans or HF boarders state
4. The 2 1st rounders just sweeten the pot

Doughty can prospectively be had for 4 1st rounders. Would you prefer to roll the dice on unknown players and 2 unknown draft slots or would the 3 prospects above do the trick?

My guess is every NHL GM would significantly prefer the 3 players above.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
I disagree somewhat here.

1. Either Doughty's on the market or he's not
2. Assuming he is -- well that means LA is at an impasse or is not sold on him for whatever crazy reason
3. That deal gets it done, assuming no other's bid higher. Those are 3 high end prospects. One of them, Strome, has star potential. While Bailey has struggled, his upside still remains very high. Ditto for Dehaan. Not over valuing our players.... they are what I say above... prospects that any team would kill for regardless of what Isles fans or HF boarders state
4. The 2 1st rounders just sweeten the pot

Doughty can prospectively be had for 4 1st rounders. Would you prefer to roll the dice on unknown players and 2 unknown draft slots or would the 3 prospects above do the trick?

My guess is every NHL GM would significantly prefer the 3 players above.
I don't think Lombardi has any intention of moving Doughty. At the same time Lombardi wouldn't be doing his job properly if he doesn't at least hear another GM out. It doesn't necessarily mean Doughty is available. If you don't at least listen, then there goes the chance of someone blowing you away with an offer.

IF LA would consider trading Doughty, I don't think it would be in a deal for prospects UNLESS that deal was far and away the best deal offered. It's not that the Isles prospects don't have the potential to be great players. The Kings are pretty much finished with their rebuild, based on the fact that they moved Schenn for Richards, basically speeding up the Schenn development process. Get the finished player now instead of waiting for Schenn. Moving Doughty for a collection of picks and prospects after trading Schenn for Richards is kind of a two steps forward one step back thing.

Plus, as good as the Isles prospects are, the Kings either have players at the NHL level locked up long term or prospects about as equally as good at the position of the players the Isles would be offering. Someone mentioned Strome. Well LA has Kopitar locked up for 5 more years and Richards for 12. I can't see them interested in another young center because where is he going to play? Same goes for Bailey. Not that they're bad players, but a center is the last thing the Kings need.

The Isles have DeHaan and Hamonic as prospects on defense but the Kings still have guys like Voynov, Hickey, Forbort. The Kings have had trouble working some of their own young defensemen into the NHL. Adding another to the log jam wouldn't be the best asset management. If they wanted a prospect from the Isles it would be Nino, because wingers is an area they're lacking.

danaluvsthekings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 03:10 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Hemsky, age 27 (28 on Aug 13)
2002-03 EDM 59 6 24 30 5
2003-04 EDM 71 12 22 34 -7
2005-06 EDM 81 19 58 77 -5
2006-07 EDM 64 13 40 53 -7
2007-08 EDM 74 20 51 71 -9
2008-09 EDM 72 23 43 66 1
2009-10 EDM 22 7 15 22 7
2010-11 EDM 47 14 28 42 3

Comeau, age 25
2006-07 NYI 3 0 0 0 0
2007-08 NYI 51 8 7 15 1
2008-09 NYI 53 7 18 25 -17
2010-11 NYI 77 24 22 46 -17

Comeau is a finisher; Hemsky a playmaker. Who plays with Bailey? And already, the stats don't warrant the trade given the price disparity and our need for a goal scorer on line 2 (3 until Bailey wakes up).

Sorry, I don't do that trade....but if it were Bailey straight up for Hemsky? I have some issues but it makes more sense. It opens up a spot for Strome in a year (but who plays center until then?).

Regardless, I pass based on the shoulder and our giving up age for questionable goods.
I think Hemsky can be had for cheap based on the points you make. The Isles will not trade Bailey. Not at this juncture.

A healthy Hemsky would be perfect on a line with JT and Moulson. He is a playmaker with wheels and creativity. Currently, we are missing that on the 1st line. I think some sort of combination of prospects/picks will get this deal done without sacrificing any of our roster players like Comeau or Bailey.

Furthermore, his shoulder is risky, but he's only got 1 year left on his contract. If he performs well, we keep him, if he doesn't, we deal him at the deadline or let him walk at the end. He is a risk worth taking IMO, and would displace Parenteau off that 1st line. It will also possibly allow Nino to go back to Portland.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:04 PM
steveat

I would trade 3rd rounder for Hemsky straight up, but tack on future considerations. If he plays 50% for the next year, no change, but if he plays 80%+ the it gets bumped to 2nd rounder.

Next..WTF is with all these nobody signings? Frischmon..now Wallace?

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...e-to-islanders

I know he wants to add depth, but we are having issues fincing room for our prospects to move up.....if we squish them at the top AND the bottom....no one is moving anywhere. Snow must be paranoid all to hell.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:36 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
Furthermore, his shoulder is risky, but he's only got 1 year left on his contract. If he performs well, we keep him, if he doesn't, we deal him at the deadline or let him walk at the end. He is a risk worth taking IMO, and would displace Parenteau off that 1st line. It will also possibly allow Nino to go back to Portland.
These are the same reasons EDM keeps him. He has more value in season, than in the summer. Moreover, he's not redundant on their roster, so moving him out looks bad b/c they don't have anyone to take his place.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 04:39 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I would trade 3rd rounder for Hemsky straight up, but tack on future considerations. If he plays 50% for the next year, no change, but if he plays 80%+ the it gets bumped to 2nd rounder.

Next..WTF is with all these nobody signings? Frischmon..now Wallace?

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...e-to-islanders

I know he wants to add depth, but we are having issues fincing room for our prospects to move up.....if we squish them at the top AND the bottom....no one is moving anywhere. Snow must be paranoid all to hell.
No harm in making them earn it. Last year's top line at bridgeport were rookies: Rhak and Ullstrom. Did not work out too well.

Snow seems to be learning from his mistakes by signing some vets to play at the Bridge. Do not downplay the importance of making prospects compete for jobs, even at the AHL.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Snow seems to be learning from his mistakes by signing some vets to play at the Bridge. Do not downplay the importance of making prospects compete for jobs, even at the AHL.
Agreed

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:43 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
No harm in making them earn it. Last year's top line at bridgeport were rookies: Rhak and Ullstrom. Did not work out too well.

I happen to agree 100%. I also factor in the depth needed in case (knock on wood) there is an injury or a circumstance where we need to call a player up for a period of time.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Boik14

Botta (on his blog) seems to think that Strang's blog is an indication that she knows something is up Garth's sleeve besides his actual arm: http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...026&nopaging=0

Didnt want to make a new thread but figured it may be of interest.

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 09:52 AM
IslesandHawks

Quote:
I check TSN every day (multiple times) as I just have a gut feeling some Islander news will knock me out of my chair... and quite soon.

I pray for 2 things:

1. that we don't get fleeced

2. that the move makes overwhelming sense

Don't make a move, just to make a move Garth..... we've come too far.
I think Garth has shown he's a far more capable GM than we all originally thought. He's a smart guy who now knows both sides of hockey (playing and management). I was actually very impressed with how he handled the Ehrhoff stuff. Tried to make a big move, it backfired, so he got basically the same investment back that he put in. He won't get fleeced.

IslesandHawks is offline   Reply With Quote