HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor/njd

Old
07-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverusername View Post
How many top FAs have signed with Toronto recently?..

...Don't worry I'll wait.

Since there was only one this year, B Richards, you could ask this question to a lot of teams. If I were Lou, I'd get cracking soon.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:25 PM
devsfan8

I agree I might be far fetched to put Phaneuf at the level of Doughty, Weber and Keith and I admit those are the 3 most appealing and better than Phaneuf.

I still consider Phaneuf a rare breed of D Men who come around once every 10 years. Its harder to find an ELITE Defense man than an ELITE winger. I dont care how good Parise is.

I want Parise on NJ for life. I think he is our next Captain.

But since I chose to participate in the fun of trade proposals on HF, I would gladly offer Parise to Toronto for their STUD D MAN Captain tomorrow.

devsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsfan8 View Post
I agree I might be far fetched to put Phaneuf at the level of Doughty, Weber and Keith and I admit those are the 3 most appealing and better than Phaneuf.

I still consider Phaneuf a rare breed of D Men who come around once every 10 years. Its harder to find an ELITE Defense man than an ELITE winger. I dont care how good Parise is.

I want Parise on NJ for life. I think he is our next Captain.

But since I chose to participate in the fun of trade proposals on HF, I would gladly offer Parise to Toronto for their STUD D MAN Captain tomorrow.
I'll drive Dion to the airport

EDIT: and for the record (in case someone tries to frame it as if I hate Dion) I'm a huge fan of Phaneuf and think his play post-Reimer is more indicative to what he'll bring this year (40-60pts).

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
but, it really wasnt a "serious" knee injury.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Scott04

Hold up... this is still a discussion?

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
a PPG left winger is a more important gap to fill, IMO. Phaneuf has been pretty good since the allstar break but nothing near irreplaceable. Getting someone of Parise's caliber is so much harder than that of Dions.
Phaneuf's more valuable to the Leafs than Parisi, he's a good player but he is not a #1 center, leafs have a similar player in Kessel as a 3 year straight 30+ goal man, one of the best young wingers in Kulemin in the league that is only going to be better, Parisi would be nice but Leafs don't have to trade for him when they can take a run at him on July 1. Phaneuf is the Captain, the Leafs D have an abundance of young promising Defencemen and Phaneuf is needed to anchor it. Ask Boston how important a Number 1 D man is, heck if you are a NJ fan look at what Stevens did for them. No way is Parisi worth Phaneuf at this point of time.

Old
07-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
but, it really wasnt a "serious" knee injury.
Ty. It wasnt an ACL or MCL tear.

I dont do any Trades proposed in this thread.

None of them.

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Phaneuf's more valuable to the Leafs than Parisi, he's a good player but he is not a #1 center, leafs have a similar player in Kessel as a 3 year straight 30+ goal man, one of the best young wingers in Kulemin in the league that is only going to be better, Parisi would be nice but Leafs don't have to trade for him when they can take a run at him on July 1. Phaneuf is the Captain, the Leafs D have an abundance of young promising Defence and Phaneuf is needed to anchor it. Ask Boston how important a Number 1 D man is, heck you if you are a NJ fan look at what Stevens did for them. No way is Parisi worth Phaneuf at this point of time.
You're kidding yourself if you think:
1. Parise will hit UFA
2. The Leafs don't need another top-end forward (Kulemin/Grabo/Mac line can't carry the offense forever)
3. that Phaneuf is more valuable than Parise

Not even to mention that how the Leafs would win a bidding war for Parise if for some crazy reason he did hit UFA... Where do we get the cap space for that?

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
1. Parise will hit UFA
2. The Leafs don't need another top-end forward (Kulemin/Grabo/Mac line can't carry the offense forever)
this guy gets it.

Old
07-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
1. Parise will hit UFA

Not even to mention that how the Leafs would win a bidding war for Parise if for some crazy reason he did hit UFA... Where do we get the cap space for that?

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:36 PM
cleverusername

Quote:
1. Parise will hit UFA

cleverusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
1. Parise will hit UFA
Personally I think Lou would rather move other parts so he can sign Parisi, but the longer this drags out I'm sure Zach was watching what was going on with Richards this summer, he may test UFA.

Secondly, Leafs need a #1 Center, Parisi is a nice player, when healthy he would help almost any team, but again he is a winger. I'm sure burke wouldn't say no to the idea, but a winger isn't his first priority.

Old
07-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
2 former high firsts, a possible lottery pick in 2012, and a 2nd is closer to Crosby than for an upcoming UFA next year, a blind man could see this.
Where they were drafted means nothing. What Toronto has done with them since then matters more. Schenn is decent, and Kadri has yet to prove anything in the NHL. Leafs fans overrate him quite a bit.

The Devils aren't going to trade a player like Parise for a package of mostly futures.

Quote:
Phaneuf's more valuable to the Leafs than Parisi, he's a good player but he is not a #1 center, leafs have a similar player in Kessel as a 3 year straight 30+ goal man, one of the best young wingers in Kulemin in the league that is only going to be better, Parisi would be nice but Leafs don't have to trade for him when they can take a run at him on July 1. Phaneuf is the Captain, the Leafs D have an abundance of young promising Defencemen and Phaneuf is needed to anchor it. Ask Boston how important a Number 1 D man is, heck you if you are a NJ fan look at what Stevens did for them. No way is Parisi worth Phaneuf at this point of time.
Several things:

Parise spells his name like this, get it right.

Kessel is not a similar player to Parise. Parise is better defensively, better offensively, and is a better player to build a team around.

Kulemin is good, but not one of the best young wingers in the league. Parise, on the other hand, is one of the best young wingers in the league.

Parise will not be a UFA next July 1, because Lou is not a chump.

Parise is the future captain of the Devils, the fact that Phaneuf is the captain of the Leafs means nothing extra.

A number one defenceman is important, but so is a top line left winger.

Not that either team would ever make the offer, but the Devils would not trade Parise for Phaneuf. No way.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 09:48 PM
devsfan8

Quote:

This one is debatable. Parise is more valuable to Phaneuf in most cases. For the Devils who are so deep at LW and have Kovy locked up until the world ends, along with the fact that Phaneuf fills a need we have had direly since we have been getting bounced in the 1st Round and even before that, I am not sure how much more valuable Parise would be to NJ than a Puck Moving D Man with size and the talent that Phaneuf has.

Both players have done exactly NOTHING come April.

Like I said, I hold onto Parise and make him my Captain instantly. But if the opportunity arose to get a top level elite legit #1 Defense man who is franchise caliber, I do it.

I guess the argument is whether or not anyone feels Phaneuf is now or ever will reach that level. In NJ I think he could.

I also think your #1 is not set in stone either. I don't see anything that makes me definitively think Parise will test Free Agency. I think he signs long term before this season.

Old
07-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

who the **** is Parisi?

Old
07-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Where they were drafted means nothing. What Toronto has done with them since then matters more. Schenn is decent, and Kadri has yet to prove anything in the NHL. Leafs fans overrate him quite a bit.

The Devils aren't going to trade a player like Parise for a package of mostly futures.

Several things:

Parise spells his name like this, get it right.

Kessel is not a similar player to Parise. Parise is better defensively, better offensively, and is a better player to build a team around.

Kulemin is good, but not one of the best young wingers in the league. Parise, on the other hand, is one of the best young wingers in the league.

Parise will not be a UFA next July 1, because Lou is not a chump.

Parise is the future captain of the Devils, the fact that Phaneuf is the captain of the Leafs means nothing extra.

A number one defenceman is important, but so is a top line left winger.

Not that either team would ever make the offer, but the Devils would not trade Parise for Phaneuf. No way.
This is a fair post, except for the part about Kulemin, he is right on the cusp of being one of the premiere 2 way fwds in the game, he can also be termed a power fwd as he loses very few battles on the boards. I don't expect other fanbases to follow as closely as Leafs fanbase does but if he isn't one of the best wingers in the game, he is darn close.

BTW I heard on TOR radio about Lou slipping of late on a few moves, he didn't qualify some players and ended up paying more for them, don't forget this is the guy that let Gionta and Raffie go for nothing, Gomez though that worked out well. Personally I think he overrated Marty, he hasn't impressed me in years, he was once a great goalie that played in very good defensive systems but he doesn't have Raffie, Neidermayer or Stevens to bail him out anymore.

Old
07-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
This is a fair post, except for the part about Kulemin, he is right on the cusp of being one of the premiere 2 way fwds in the game, he can also be termed a power fwd as he loses few battles on the boards. I don't expect other fanbases to follow as closely as Leafs fanbase does but if he isn't one of the best wingers in the game, he is darn close.

BTW I heard on TOR radio about Lou slipping of late on a few moves, he didn't qualify some players and ended up paying more for them, don't forget this is the guy that let Gionta and Raffie go for nothing, Gomez though that worked out well. Personally I think he overrated Marty, he hasn't impressed me in years, he was once a great goalie that played in very good defensive systems but he doesn't have Raffie, Neidermayer or Stevens to bail him out anymore.
so should Lou have traded players like Gionta and Rafalski in the middle of a playoff run? teams dont do that, come on.

also, go look at marty's #s the 2nd half of the season last year. pretty sure he had a GAA around 2.

lastly, what the hell are you talking about with the QOs?

Old
07-18-2011, 09:55 PM
devsfan8

Quote:
This is a fair post, except for the part about Kulemin, he is right on the cusp of being one of the premiere 2 way fwds in the game, he can also be termed a power fwd as he loses few battles on the boards. I don't expect other fanbases to follow as closely as Leafs fanbase does but if he isn't one of the best wingers in the game, he is darn close.

BTW I heard on TOR radio about Lou slipping of late on a few moves, he didn't qualify some players and ended up paying more for them, don't forget this is the guy that let Gionta and Raffie go for nothing, Gomez though that worked out well. Personally I think he overrated Marty, he hasn't impressed me in years, he was once a great goalie that played in a very defensive system but he doesn't have Raffie, Neidermayer or Stevens to bail him out anymore.
Rafalski was given an offer to play in his home town for $6 MILL a year for 5 years when he was over 30 years of age. There was no way we were offering him that kind of deal. He was made an offer in the $4-$5 mill range.

Whom did Lou not qualify that he ended up playing more for?

Old
07-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
who the **** is Parisi?
He draws the cartoon strip Off the Mark:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Parisi

I can see why Phaneuf would be more valuable to a hockey team than that guy.

Quote:
That qualifying thing you're referring to has not happened. The only times I can recall him not qualifying players we intended to keep were the cases of John Madden, Brian Rafalski, and Andy Greene. Madden and Rafalski was in 2000, hardly recent. Greene was intentionally not qualified in 2009, and subsequently re-signed for less.

Gionta got $5 M/yr from Montreal, the Devils did not want to match that. They had Bergfors ready to step into that spot, and were trying to cut salary so they could keep future free agents, like Parise. Without letting Gionta walk, the Devils don't get or keep Kovalchuk, so I'm fine with that.

Rafalski was a mistake to let go, most Devils fans will agree with that. The other big mistake is Rolston's contract, but 17 other teams were bidding for his services, and he signed at the value the market set for him.

Marty actually took less than his market value at the time he signed his current contract, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

Old
07-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He draws the cartoon strip Off the Mark:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Parisi

I can see why Phaneuf would be more valuable to a hockey team than that guy.

That qualifying thing you're referring to has not happened. The only times I can recall him not qualifying players we intended to keep were the cases of John Madden, Brian Rafalski, and Andy Greene. Madden and Rafalski was in 2000, hardly recent. Greene was intentionally not qualified in 2009, and subsequently re-signed for less.

Gionta got $5 M/yr from Montreal, the Devils did not want to match that. They had Bergfors ready to step into that spot, and were trying to cut salary so they could keep future free agents, like Parise. Without letting Gionta walk, the Devils don't get or keep Kovalchuk, so I'm fine with that.

Rafalski was a mistake to let go, most Devils fans will agree with that. The other big mistake is Rolston's contract, but 17 other teams were bidding for his services, and he signed at the value the market set for him.

Marty actually took less than his market value at the time he signed his current contract, so I don't know what you're talking about there.
And Paul Martin? Obviously Lou doesn't keep as many upcoming UFA's as widely thought.

Old
07-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

again, what should he have done? trade those players in the midst of a playoff run? thats not how you do things.

Old
07-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
And Paul Martin? Obviously Lou doesn't keep as many upcoming UFA's as widely thought.
Paul Martin scored fewer points than Andy Greene last year. His defence is harder to replace, but I think the Devils will manage. I certainly wouldn't want to pay him $5 M.

Also, Martin wanted to leave because he felt the Devils' medical staff had mishandled his arm injury and caused him to miss the Olympics. To be fair, he had a legitimate gripe there, but there's not much Lou could do about it. I doubt Martin would have come back even if Lou had matched Pittsburgh's offer.

Old
07-18-2011, 10:24 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Since there was only one this year, B Richards, you could ask this question to a lot of teams. If I were Lou, I'd get cracking soon.
I don't know if you were paying attention last summer but there was this guy named Kovalchuk, I hear he's pretty good.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Kamal007
GOD DAMMIT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I don't know if you were paying attention last summer but there was this guy named Kovalchuk, I hear he's pretty good.
The quote from Burke was something along the lines of: "I don't even know his agents name".

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I don't think we were going after him anyways. Just saying.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote