HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

nhl 2012 player rating predictions

Old
07-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post
I predict that our lesser known players will just have a random mish-mash of ratings that don't reflect their abilities at all. For example, David Jones is always rated as a rather slow skater, as is TJ Galiardi. Both guys are pretty darn fast IRL.

I kind of wish EA would put in a multiplier or something, there are a lot of players in the league that have a ton of raw physical ability but have not yet put the package together. Unfortunately to reflect this their ratings are usually very low, I think they should have a consistency or potential multiplier/modifier attached to players that helps to reflect that they have raw potential, but just aren't quite there yet.
That's a pretty swell idea. I do a lot of roster editing, and one of the things that frustrates me about the system (which hasn't changed much in a decade or more) is that it doesn't give you control over those sorts of not-quite intangibles. Like having a young skater be on some sort of hyper-potential, even to the point where a rookie could improve over a season (or bust, for that matter, depending on performance).

Also, in a similar vein, it annoys me that after a certain limit (around 89 overall) anything else you do to bump the rating up is probably just BS - empty numbers or outright lies in order to make the superstars stand out. And defensemen...that's the worst. Stud stay-at-home guy? You better give him some ridiculous agility and face-off numbers if you want him to at least look like he's got a high value but don't want to get completely unrealistic by giving him a wicked shot.

I think part of my issue is that I continue to follow EA's general guidelines - 75 and over is NHL, maybe a few teams have some bottom 6 guys who are in the low 70's. 80-85 is your average top 6 rating, anyone over that is pretty damn good, and the few over 90 are the guys on the Wheaties box. But it just doesn't give me enough separation. I've been thinking of making the 4th line/AHL divide at around 70 or even lower in order to spread it out a bit more, give me more than 5 points difference in team ratings league-wide.

But then I think of how bad the AI sucks, and I wonder why I bother in the first place (I have no idea why real NHL players don't pass across the crease for an easy one-timer from the post on every play).

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 04:35 AM
AyVee

vCash: 500
EA Configures players backwards; a player's OVR rating should be the byproduct of their collective attributes, not the other way around. This is what causes players to have attributes that don't really match the real-life counterpart. (the most talked about ones are having Kovy with high Aggresiveness, Ovi with high D awareness, and Jbo with high... everything I guess, just to meet an overall, or the inverse of this would be R. Bourque's relatively low speed, etc...)
Its not like there's a shortage of informational websites on these guys. Hell, EHM has attributes that are 'generally' more accurate, albeit a lot lower (90 atty's are like nuka cola quantum's in ehm, wheras they're like general nuka cola's in ea's world (fallout 3 allusion)).

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Lumipanda

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lumipanda Send a message via Skype™ to Lumipanda
Don't believe anyone mentioned it, so thought I'd post about it. EA Sports was recently looking for "team captains", which means fans of the game and the teams, specifically people who watch/go to ~every game, just to help them out with player ratings from now on, also to keep them up to date on line changes and such.. I couldn't find the original post, but here's a little of it.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/5489317.page

Lumipanda is offline   Reply With Quote