HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Lowe

View Poll Results: Is Kevin Lowe overrated as a GM?
Yes 20 18.18%
No 90 81.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2004, 04:39 PM
momentai

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis
Mike York was used primarily as a winger in New York but after he came over despite playing some time on the wing he has been used primarily as a center and a damn good one at that and while we're on that point, Rem Murray was also versatile in the same way so if we're striking York from the equation for that, how come Murray was involved? I involved Schremp sparingly as a straight-across comparison for Dwight Helminen as neither have made the NHL but Stoll has made a name for himself as a solid NHL Center (Which is what we are judging) and if we are judging Lowes GM abilities and use of assets here, he DID turn Jochen Hecht (Who also played Center and was used at Center in some cases) into a draft pick but it was on draft day and he obviously knew what he wanted in Stoll and went out and got him mere minutes after the deal was made so I consider that to be valid.
I realize that. But Mike York was put into that position because of the lack of NHL center depth with the Oilers. He's a damn fine player in any role but it seems to me he was always more effective on the wing and on the rush. Rem was certainly versatile and played both LW and C but he was used as a center fairly reguarly in his last year with the team that season. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, though.

Dealing Hecht for Stoll and Deslauriers was a good deal. I am certainly not denying that. But you can't assume that Doug Weight was dealt for Stoll as I was saying before. And we can't really expect every player to make the kind of jump Stoll made which was amazing in and of itself. Still, when the trade was made Stoll was still on the board. The deal was made because Deslauriers was available. Stoll (at 34) could still have been selected by another team in between. That's why it is always tough for me to say a trade was good because the draft pick turned out. You trade for the draft position and not the player and the deal should be judged on that. Whether or not the player pans out should reflect on the scouting staff - at least that's my personal opinion.

Quote:
You just said "What I have been discussing is the fact that nothing has bridged the gap in regards to qualifiable NHL players at the pivot" so isn't this exactly what we're talking about, he got a couple of center's who were thought to be capable of being effective 2nd-3rd line centers, it was a risky situation on both accounts but due to salary-based hold-backs he couldn't go out and sign a big name Center.

If his signing being in question is a reason to strike him from the list then we would have to strike Marchant from the list as well, and an arguement could be made for Weight, Lowe traded for a well-known, capable center to remain competitive and strong for a playoff drive, again exactly what we're discussing, it was well-known that he would not have his option picked up but it seems a viable chance he will stay in Edmonton, much the same as the case was for Marchant or might have been for Weight.
He did indeed. But how many were actually players that could be counted on long-term? Dopita and Oates were stop-gap players for how many years after? Would that have been enough time for our newly drafted centers to progess? What exactly were they bridging towards? It's all well and good to take chances for centers - we do need to take some every once and a while. But you can't honestly tell me those signings were designed for relative long-term stability (something like 3 years) at the center position.

As for the Marchant and Weight comparison... I'm not sure what you are getting at. Nedved's situation, I don't believe, follows the Marchant/Weight situation. Marchant, after the contract offer, was going to bolt to UFA away from the team. The same can be said for Weight. There was no real viable chance for either to stay in Edmonton realistically. (for Douggy the money, for Marchant the attitude he left with) Sorry. But could you clarify for me?

Old
08-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Yah, I'm just trying to prove a point for his attempt at finding centers, as everyone seems to be discrediting him for this.

thought so. just thought i'd make sure. K-Lowe has done a great job in trading for centres as displayed in your post. I don't know why people feel he's overrated, for a 4 year GM, he's done a helluva job.

Old
08-03-2004, 04:45 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Another way to look at it would be that irregardless of what Hecht did in Edmonton, the fact that he garnered those two players AT a draft that was pretty deep and still had some good players on the board, simply confirms the value that Lowe got back for Doug Weight.
Honestly, I've never bashed the return that Lowe got for Weight. I've always defended that trade.

Old
08-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Is Lowe overrated? I don't know... I would say he isn't.

But I'm a big Lowe fan. Mainly because the things he's done that I like far outnumber the things I don't like.

His short-term goal was to keep this team competitive until a new CBA is put in place. Mission accomplished. At the same time, he dealt with the necessary evil of shedding salary to keep the team in Edmonton, let alone competitive. And, now that we've had time to look at some of those deals, they seem not too bad, regardless of how they looked at the time.

I know some don't agree, but I love how he handled the Comrie situation. "But if he had traded him sooner, he could have gotten something better!" And if that butterfly in China had flapped its wings one more time, I'd be a billionaire. I know how that works.

Sure, there are some things about him that I find a little negative. For example, I often get pretty impatient with his patience. I have no idea why he threw in that 2nd rounder in the Niinimaa deal, and it still bugs me that he didn't get NJ's higher 2nd (or even both) in the Parise-Pouliot swap.

Other than that, I think he's done a damn good job. We can talk about getting that #1 center, but that's easier said than done, and the Oilers are in the position where they'll probably have to grow their own. That leads us to drafting, which is literally a hundred times better than it was just a few years ago.

So bottom line, the Oilers are still in Edmonton, still competitive, and have a very bright future. Chalk me up under "happy".

Old
08-03-2004, 05:20 PM
YKOil

Put me in the camp of those who think Lowe is a slightly above average GM who is over-rated by many.

I'm sure you could have guessed I would say that though

Trades: average

Drafting: above average (I am happy with it)

Contracts: ouch

Addressing needs: below average

YKOil

Old
08-03-2004, 05:27 PM
Wolfpack

K-Lowe

I too think that Lowe is an above-average GM. Over-rated? I don't think so. The fact is, he has done a good job considering the financial restraints placed on him. Fans who don't know any better will always slam him for trading players like Weight, Guerin, Comrie etc. - without understanding that he really had no choice. Those same fans overlook things like Lowe picking up Ulanov last season. Don't get me wrong, Lowe has made mistakes, but he has made more good decisions than bad.

In terms of him being a member of the Team Canada Executuve, I think you have to look at more than just his track record, which is admittedly short. Lowe is well respected by the players (except Mike Comrie), he is fluently bilingual (actually, isn't French his first language?) and he is great with interacting with the media and the fans. Whether you agree or not, those are all "skills." Could you see an abrasive personality like Brian Burke locked in a room and discussing strategy with Pat Quinn, Wayne Gretzky and Jacques Martin? Nothing would have ever been accomplished.

Old
08-03-2004, 05:34 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by YKOil
Contracts: ouch
WHAT BAD CONTRACTS!?!?!?!?!? ONE TO BREWER! But I would think his work with Moreau and Smyth more then make up for that! Laraque maybe arguable as well, but he's getting paid half a million less then Domi and nearly a million less then Brashear.

Quote:
Addressing needs: below average
So you'd like to see him drasticly over pay to get the much desired young/cheap/skilled/dependable center? He's addressed the center situation plenty. First with Dopita which didn't work out because of Dopita's bum knees. Second with Oates, and everybody was shocked that he didn't play much better offensively then he did. The third time was the charm when he got Nedved - we can't judge him further on that because we don't know how the whole Nedved/UFA thing will work out. So either way you're whole adressing needs isn't on par - sure he has unporportionaly picked up wingers to centers - but don't try and say that he isn't adressing needs.

08-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I realize that. But Mike York was put into that position because of the lack of NHL center depth with the Oilers. He's a damn fine player in any role but it seems to me he was always more effective on the wing and on the rush. Rem was certainly versatile and played both LW and C but he was used as a center fairly reguarly in his last year with the team that season. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, though.

On Rem - I thought for the majority of the year he was playing on the wings of players such as Reasoner, Horcoff, and Marchant.

On Mike - I actually always thought he was better at Center and actually find him to be one of the best and most well-rounded #2 centers in the league. The arguement can be made either way but to leave him out of the center equation despite the fact he's played the majority of his time here at that position is completely unfair IMO, because for the majority of his career in the NHL and I'm pretty sure in the NCAA up to that point he was playing Center, but his position in New York was helped along by his versatility, they didn't want him behind Messier, Nedved AND Lindros so they used him at the wing and it yielded great results.

Dealing Hecht for Stoll and Deslauriers was a good deal. I am certainly not denying that. But you can't assume that Doug Weight was dealt for Stoll as I was saying before. And we can't really expect every player to make the kind of jump Stoll made which was amazing in and of itself. Still, when the trade was made Stoll was still on the board. The deal was made because Deslauriers was available. Stoll (at 34) could still have been selected by another team in between. That's why it is always tough for me to say a trade was good because the draft pick turned out. You trade for the draft position and not the player and the deal should be judged on that. Whether or not the player pans out should reflect on the scouting staff - at least that's my personal opinion.

K, first off:

http://www.nhl.com/lineups/player/8462077.html
http://nhlpa.com/Content/WebStats/Pl...?PlayerId=2279
as a couple examples

When Lowe acquired Hecht I remember seeing him most frequently listed as a Center, he was used as a Winger in Edmonton and (I thought) in St. Loo, but he was listed as a center so he could be thrown in the equation if Stoll can't. And the point I was trying to make was at that point in the draft I'm guessing Lowe knew exactly who he wanted and while there was a chance he might not have been there, he was and Lowe took him, so the trade was made for a 2nd round pick but within the hour that was a C who is now playing in the NHL so it has to be at least justifiable that he was targetted by Lowe at the time the deal was struck (Whereas half-way through the year you pick up a second and have no idea who it might be) and is an asset from the trading of a center (Hecht/Weight) and is now playing in the league

He did indeed. But how many were actually players that could be counted on long-term? Dopita and Oates were stop-gap players for how many years after? Would that have been enough time for our newly drafted centers to progess? What exactly were they bridging towards? It's all well and good to take chances for centers - we do need to take some every once and a while. But you can't honestly tell me those signings were designed for relative long-term stability (something like 3 years) at the center position.

However, you said yourself the argument isn't about permanence or else I would have made a case for the prospects as well, your words were: "What I have been discussing is the fact that nothing has bridged the gap in regards to qualifiable NHL players at the pivot" and this kills your arguement that these three (Oates, Dopita, Nedved) cannot be counted simply because they were rent-a-players.

The argument being made here is Kevin Lowe's willingness and attempts at picking up a serviceable NHL Centerman, and with these acquisitions he did exactly that, he took a risk and we all knew that, we accepted it and looked forward to their additions to the team regardless, they didn't pan out and that is a shame but their play or the length of thier tenure is not what is in question here. (And how well they played obviously ties into their tenure as Lowe saw Nedved kick ass for us and went out and is trying to re-sign him)

And to answer your question(s); But how many were actually players that could be counted on long-term? Dopita and Oates were stop-gap players for how many years after? Would that have been enough time for our newly drafted centers to progess? What exactly were they bridging towards?

No, I don't think they were necesarily bridging towards the day our prospects pan out, who knows if that wil even happen? The point of their acquisitons was to shore up the center position until a new center was needed or a better center was accessable via trade/free agency/prospect ranks/whatever

As for the Marchant and Weight comparison... I'm not sure what you are getting at. Nedved's situation, I don't believe, follows the Marchant/Weight situation. Marchant, after the contract offer, was going to bolt to UFA away from the team. The same can be said for Weight. There was no real viable chance for either to stay in Edmonton realistically. (for Douggy the money, for Marchant the attitude he left with) Sorry. But could you clarify for me?

The point I am trying to make is that there were question marks applied to all of them staying in Edmonton

Had Weight gone on to play the next season with us he would have a) Been gone before the deadline, proabably for a comparable package, but would have also cost us 6 million in cap room as opposed to the (?) 2 million (?) Hecht and Reasoner cost us or b) Bolted at the end of the year for nothing. However we did trade him, thats why I merely said an arguement could be made for him. it is much easier to apply it to Marchant.

Marchant is in the exact same boat as Nedved. They were/are both UFA's with the team they both look/looked like they were going to leave the team but due to their connection to the city/team they still may/may have stayed/stay on with us. If we are to omit Nedved from the list for the reason that he bolted in free agency, we would have to do the same for Marchant. Although I see your arguement that Nedved was brought in under the knowledge that at the end of the year he could very well be be gone, it was the same for Marchant every day after he signed the contract the year before.

On another note, don't you love how you can have a respectful arguement that won't resort to name-calling and animosity on the Oiler board?

Old
08-03-2004, 05:45 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
WHAT BAD CONTRACTS!?!?!?!?!? ONE TO BREWER! But I would think his work with Moreau and Smyth more then make up for that! Laraque maybe arguable as well, but he's getting paid half a million less then Domi and nearly a million less then Brashear.

So you'd like to see him drasticly over pay to get the much desired young/cheap/skilled/dependable center? He's addressed the center situation plenty. First with Dopita which didn't work out because of Dopita's bum knees. Second with Oates, and everybody was shocked that he didn't play much better offensively then he did. The third time was the charm when he got Nedved - we can't judge him further on that because we don't know how the whole Nedved/UFA thing will work out. So either way you're whole adressing needs isn't on par - sure he has unporportionaly picked up wingers to centers - but don't try and say that he isn't adressing needs.
You could also argue that with Dopita, Oates and Nedved he was only affecting a band-aid solution on a shotgun wound.

The Oilers haven't had a legitimate number one center since Doug Weight. That is three full seasons to make one deal. I would say that isn't addressing a need.

Old
08-03-2004, 05:52 PM
YKOil

Quote:
Brewer, York, Laraque, Conklin. To name a few. Burke/Nonis got Cooke to sign for 4 years, got Naslund and Bertuzzi to sign performance driven deals, etc - you think Lowe will ever pull that off? Not bloody likely. Sutter got Turek to restructure from 5 million down to 2. Not bad contract work there at all.

Quote:
So you'd like to see him drasticly over pay to get the much desired young/cheap/skilled/dependable center?
Sutter needed a goalie and got one for a 2nd round pick. Needed a tough winger (Simon) and a dependable one (Nilsson) and only gave up another 7th and a 2nd respectively.

What overpay?

Lowe, on the other hand, has to use converted wingers to man the center spot and sometimes... well... how in the hell can anyone say that having to use Smyth as a center is good asset management?

YKOil

Old
08-03-2004, 05:56 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

There is alot of teams who's best center isn't as good as Nedved. And the whole bandaid to a shotgun wound is rediculous. If Oates would have played as expected (about a 1/2 point/game player) then he would have easily filled the void. So what, you won't settle for anything less then a Lecavalier or Thornton? Well, the Oilers would be completely gutted and right back to where they left off when SLats left if Lowe gave up what it'd take to get a player of that quality.

Old
08-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sutter got Turek to restructure from 5 million down to 2. Not bad contract work there at all.
Sutter didn't do that; Turek did that.

Quote:
Sutter needed a goalie and got one for a 2nd round pick. Needed a tough winger (Simon) and a dependable one (Nilsson) and only gave up another 7th and a 2nd respectively.
I could probably name a hundred goalies Lowe could have gotten for a 2nd. But what happens when they turn out to be worse than Salo, Conklin, and/or Markkanen?

That's not very good asset management either.

Old
08-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bachul
You could also argue that with Dopita, Oates and Nedved he was only affecting a band-aid solution on a shotgun wound.

The Oilers haven't had a legitimate number one center since Doug Weight. That is three full seasons to make one deal. I would say that isn't addressing a need.

Comrie was a legitimate number 1 center in the same way that Morrison, Gomez or Langkow are, and he screwed us over this year as we didn't know he would be a whiny lil baby about how the injury/playoff situation was handled.

As a matter of fact, Between the time when we got Mike York and the time Comrie held out I was confident in our centers, only worried about their height and until recently I was more concerned with lack of top-caliber wingers.

Comrie-York-Marchant-Horcoff-Reasoner
then
Comrie-York-Reasoner-Horcoff-Stoll

They were small but effective, we got screwed over by injuries to Comrie and York 2 years ago, and last year Comrie's lock-out and Reasoners injury screwed us over.

Comrie's fiasco threw a wrench into the gears and killed us until we managed to nab Nedved, but we still got out With Woywitka, Schremp and a 3rd

Old
08-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Sethis

Quote:

What overpay?

Lowe, on the other hand, has to use converted wingers to man the center spot and sometimes... well... how in the hell can anyone say that having to use Smyth as a center is good asset management?

YKOil

New York Rangers traded Chris Simon and a 7th round selection in 2004 to the Calgary Flames for Jamie McLennan, Blair Betts and Greg Moore.

They severly over-payed, at the time (living in Calgary) all of my friends and I were shocked as Jamie McLennan was outstanding in his tenure in Calgary and Blair Betts looked like a mini-Yelle and all they were getting back was a tough guy who's contract was up at the end of the year. Yes they went on a run in the playoffs (and sorry but Simon was about as big a part of it as Oliwa was, and was very overrated due to linemates and intimidation factor through the whole thing) and re-signed him, but we'll see who wins that deal.

Thats the only real problem I had with this post, the Nilsson deal was pure genious and of course as was the Kipper deal, but if you guys are all saying "Now why can't Lowe go out and get Kiprusoff" well come on, Lowe had to get rid of a goalie, not add one (Markkanen) and the Sharks were in the same position, Sutter knew all about Kiprusoff's blanketed talents in San Jose and went out and got him. Also, when comparing Lowe to Sutter - Sutter had Iginla, Lowe never had an Iginla.

Old
08-03-2004, 06:10 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Brewer, York, Laraque, Conklin. To name a few. Burke/Nonis got Cooke to sign for 4 years, got Naslund and Bertuzzi to sign performance driven deals, etc - you think Lowe will ever pull that off? Not bloody likely. Sutter got Turek to restructure from 5 million down to 2. Not bad contract work there at all.
Good god man - Turek took the 2 million because his other option was a buy out. Nonis made two of the better deals in the NHL with Naslund (Bertuzzi gets ALOT of guarenteed money). So, going by the four you're looking at Lowe is overpaying his entire team by 1-2 million dollars, don't be so rediculous! York at 2.4 isn't an overpayment either IMO

Quote:

What overpay?
Sutter got lucky on the goalie - and he added depth wingers otherwise, big difference between trying to add a ****** cheap/young/top line center!

Quote:
It was done ONCE! And that was because of a hold out! Not because Lowe figured it'd be a neat thing to try out! You're grasping to an extreme!

Old
08-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Comrie was a legitimate number 1 center in the same way that Morrison, Gomez or Langkow are, and he screwed us over this year as we didn't know he would be a whiny lil baby about how the injury/playoff situation was handled.
We disagree. I didn't think Comrie was a number one center, and neither did Kevin Lowe.(Which is part of what the problem was between them.)

And thome_26...you talk about Nedved as a solution when he was an Oiler for less than 20 games.(I will grant that the situation will be addressed if Lowe signs Nedved, but at this point, he really hasn't accomplished anything.)

And Oates was how old? These are only band-aid solutions rather than addressing the real problem.

Old
08-03-2004, 06:18 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

they were answers aimed at solving the situation for the present.... the future is also being looked after as Lowe has drafted a center in the first round for three straight years!

Old
08-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Sethis

Oh yah, as you all guessed I did not say Overrated, I would say Kevin Lowe's rep around the league dooes him perfect justice and he's really not overly under or over rated in any way.

And while Sutter didn't exactly get lucky with Kipper as he knew all about him, saying Lowe isn't as good because he couldn't do that, please - Steals like that are not made often and when they are it's merely credit that should be given to the ones who made it, not credit that should be taken away from others.

At this point Sutter is the better General Manager then Kevin Lowe however he recieved a team on the upswing potential wise, made an absolute steal of a trade (Kipper) and made some minor tinkers here and there (Nilsson, Simon, Donovan, Nieminen, Ference) while only losing a few minor pieces back (A few high-end draft picks, McLennan and Betts), however those draft picks might really bite em in the ass.

I say give Sutter 5 years and we'll see how his tenure stacks up to Lowes current one, losing Conroy could really hurt this team.

Last edited by Sethis: 08-03-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old
08-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Slats432

Quote:
they were answers aimed at solving the situation for the present.... the future is also being looked after as Lowe has drafted a center in the first round for three straight years!
Every team needs a first line center. The Oilers haven't had one for three years. Lowe could have done a better job in acquiring one.

Drafting a center for three straight years means from the time that Doug Weight left until the Oilers have a legit number one guy could stretch 8-10 years.

Hopefully that isn't Lowe's plan.

Again, I like Lowe, but pointing out his deficiencies allows us to be knowledgeable when he makes his moves. He is a good GM, and if his long term plan pans out, he will be a great GM.

Last edited by Slats432: 08-03-2004 at 11:08 PM.
Old
08-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Sethis

Quote:
We disagree. I didn't think Comrie was a number one center, and neither did Kevin Lowe.(Which is part of what the problem was between them.)

And thome_26...you talk about Nedved as a solution when he was an Oiler for less than 20 games.(I will grant that the situation will be addressed if Lowe signs Nedved, but at this point, he really hasn't accomplished anything.)

And Oates was how old? These are only band-aid solutions rather than addressing the real problem.
I'll respectfully disagree too

I can clearly see why you wouldn't see him as a top Center as he has many flaws but I thought he filled the role admirably until he got back from that injury (Wrist/Thumb or wahtever it was)

Old
08-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Slats432

Quote:
I'll respectfully disagree too

I can clearly see why you wouldn't see him as a top Center as he has many flaws but I thought he filled the role admirably until he got back from that injury (Wrist/Thumb or wahtever it was)
My thoughts were that he filled the role to achieve his performance bonuses.

Old
08-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Sethis

Quote:

Of Course he did, but the fact that he filled it is all I need, now that he's off the team and we got a fair return on him (IMO) I could care less if he's only in it for the money.

Old
08-03-2004, 06:34 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Every team needs a first round center. The Oilers haven't had one for three years. Lowe could have done a better job in acquiring one.

Drafting a center for three straight years means from the time that Doug Weight left until the Oilers have a legit number one guy could stretch 8-10 years.

Hopefully that isn't Lowe's plan.

Again, I like Lowe, but pointing out his deficiencies allows us to be knowledgeable when he makes his moves. He is a good GM, and if his long term plan pans out, he will be a great GM.
Comrie scored 60 points, his first full year was more then good enough to be considered first line material - the year after that and last year until Nedved was brought in is the only time they haven't had one. Two years ago we lacked one because instead of improving, Comrie took a step back. 8-10 years? Do you really think nothing would be done if all three of our star prospects up the middle fizzle out into nothing and there is no Nedved or somebody similar. I agree that we don't know what the situatioin will be next year because dont' know what will happen with the Nedved/UFA situation - but as of this time, he's stated his intentions are to sign Nedved or sign/trade for somebody similar - tough to hang a guy for somethign he hasn't has the chance to do, no? You make it sound like Lowe has left the team without a center with the ability to put up some respectable numbers for the last three years - when that is extremely far from the case.

Old
08-03-2004, 06:37 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Ya, as said - who gives a flying f#@* why he did it - the fact is he did it. If we're going to start saying that a first line center can't play for money then there are going to be a lot of teams without first line centers - as there is already a lot without.

Old
08-03-2004, 06:51 PM
mackdogs*

Quote:
I agree that we don't know what the situatioin will be next year because dont' know what will happen with the Nedved/UFA situation - but as of this time, he's stated his intentions are to sign Nedved or sign/trade for somebody similar - tough to hang a guy for somethign he hasn't has the chance to do, no?
Tough to give a guy praise for failed experiments too. I liked all the patchup jobs Lowe tried at the time, I was excited about all of them. But Dopita was a huge bust, and Oates was pretty iffy at best. This is where some of the overratedness comes for me - people are falling back on these like it was the right thing to do. Hindsight tells us it wasn't. Someone needs to take the fall for these experiments that didn't quite work out as planned and his name is Kevin Lowe. If Nedved doesn't re-sign here he will also be considered a failed experiment since he did NOT help us make the playoffs and we lost assets because of him.

And random thoughts.. Comrie is not a 1st line centre, and that is the main reason he left IMO. No one expects Lowe to find a Kiprusoff out there - goaltender or otherwise - I guess some of us just expect more than what he's getting. He hasn't managed to get enough NHL-ready bodies to fill holes. Perhaps a better thread would have been 'Do you think KLo is a good GM?' as overrated is just so ambiguous. And Todd Marchant should not have been allowed to just walk.

Closed Thread