HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lars Eller ready for season opener.

Old
07-19-2011, 04:25 PM
windycity

vCash: 500
L'HARCELEUR RULES!

Great news if he's fit for the opener.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Subnordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he develops into a top 6 two-way center. For some reason, I think he'll play a Jordan Staal type of a role in Montreal, which influenced my projection for him in his future development.

I think he can be a top 6 center, but I feel like he'll be used for more of a shutdown role. For some reason, Eller reminds me of a more offensive Bonk(obviously different players, but size wise and role wise, that's who he reminds me of). Eller plays quite the puck possession game and is quite good at it despite being under 200 pounds.

Like you said, people forget that it takes more than one year to develop. I expect Eller to keep learning, he's still has a ways to go, but I like where he currently is.
Or maybe a Plekanec type of game? I would be very happy with that, 55-65 points, and be defensively responsible.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Forsead

Wait perhaps it's only fat like Latendresse

Well it's great news Eller if he is able to improve on the faceoff is prefect for keeping a good balance in our team as a good third line two-way center. He is also the style of player that can play an effective game at 210 lbs and I think he will play around that weight for most of his career.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 04:57 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnordi View Post
Or maybe a Plekanec type of game? I would be very happy with that, 55-65 points, and be defensively responsible.
If he becomes a bigger more physical Plekanec then he's pretty much a Jordan Staal. Not in every facet of the game obviously, you'll be hard pressed to find two exactly the same players. But he definitely has the potential to grow into a Staal, Plekanec, etc.

People might get pissed at this comparison and I'm in no way comparing them as players but look at Gomez. He was picked at the end of the 1st round. Lars Eller was pick in the early/middle.

Gomez has put up 80+ point seasons in his youth. Whose to say Eller can't develop into a similar type of producer point wise. Obviously completely different players but you could use about 100 guys as an example. Probably many who have had far similar developmental paths as Eller as well.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56074

Mikko Koivu *knocks on wood*

I'd even be super happy with another Saku Koivu. Still can't believe that guy plays for Anaheim now...

EDIT: Holy crap man I can't believe Jordan Staal is still only 23! What a beast!

Last edited by neofury*: 07-19-2011 at 05:03 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Protest the Hero

I'm hoping Eller can focus his talents into a more offensive role in the future instead of a shutdown centre. Plekanec is already one of the best defensive forwards/PKers in the game, and the rest of our centre prospects lean heavily to the defensive side as well.

Hopefully this year he can play the majority of his shifts against easier competition, and with some good talented guys on his line(DD and AK), can put up some points.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Miller Time

great news...

i hope he gets every opportunity to earn a top-6 role come training camp. enough with the veteran "free-pass", let the players compete and then ice the best lineup that comes out of it and distribute minutes according to merit, not age.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
i hope he gets every opportunity to earn a top-6 role come training camp. enough with the veteran "free-pass", let the players compete and then ice the best lineup that comes out of it and distribute minutes according to merit, not age.
If JM had a bias against Eller, or young players in general, Eller would have started last season in Hamilton or in the press box.

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:00 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
Thanks!

Great news.
solid now put him where he belongs on a top 2 line at center and move Gomez to a third line with Kosty and end this BS

The dude payed his dues and deserves top 2 line status

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
Great news.

He's going to have a great season this year. I also think he'll get some time down the middle on the second line this season.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
If he becomes a bigger more physical Plekanec then he's pretty much a Jordan Staal. Not in every facet of the game obviously, you'll be hard pressed to find two exactly the same players. But he definitely has the potential to grow into a Staal, Plekanec, etc.

People might get pissed at this comparison and I'm in no way comparing them as players but look at Gomez. He was picked at the end of the 1st round. Lars Eller was pick in the early/middle.

Gomez has put up 80+ point seasons in his youth. Whose to say Eller can't develop into a similar type of producer point wise. Obviously completely different players but you could use about 100 guys as an example. Probably many who have had far similar developmental paths as Eller as well.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=56074

Mikko Koivu *knocks on wood*

I'd even be super happy with another Saku Koivu. Still can't believe that guy plays for Anaheim now...

EDIT: Holy crap man I can't believe Jordan Staal is still only 23! What a beast!
Plekanec is a better player than Jordan Staal at this point. Both do well playing very hard minutes but Plekanec has an offensive game that Staal can't hope to match.

Eller should hope to be better than Staal, Miko Koivu is a very good aspiration as a player with comparable talents.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

At the VERY least, I expect Eller to become a fine assist machine. Should he develop his shot, we might have a VERY, very deadly player in our hands.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:04 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
solid now put him where he belongs on a top 2 line at center and move Gomez to a third line with Kosty and end this BS

Gomez>Eller right now. Still not close.

JohnLennon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Stradale

Quote:

That would be one stupid thing to do.

As much as I hate Gomez, he has shown he had good chemistry with Gionta and MaxPac. Also, Gomez and AK is a catastrophe while Eller and AK played very well together in the last stretch of last season.

So why break up two good lines to make one good and one very bad?

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:44 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

This makes me all the more pumped for the season to come...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:12 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Gomez>Eller right now. Still not close.
ohboy....

brace yourself for the hate-train...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 12:02 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
wow, fantastic news. I knew the people saying he'd only be available a few months in were overreacting. I'm not surprised about him being available for the opener, but very happy about the weight gainage. This kid is my favorite.

Edit: I think you got your link wrong.
That's what I've been saying. Too many people think that recoup time for an athlete is similar to that of say me. No way I can heal as fast as someone already in shape and who can get everything and anything to heal him quickly and efficiently.

Eller to play every pre-season game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
That would be one stupid thing to do.

As much as I hate Gomez, he has shown he had good chemistry with Gionta and MaxPac. Also, Gomez and AK is a catastrophe while Eller and AK played very well together in the last stretch of last season.

So why break up two good lines to make one good and one very bad?
Exactly. Start the season with the chemistry we have already seen (max-gomez-gionta, pleks-camma-(insert cole) and ak with eller) and change things up as they **** the bed :p

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 03:06 AM
Marksman

Quote:

Paid his dues? When? Seventeen points in 77 games is decent for a rookie playing limited minutes, but not quite enough to earn top 6 spot. Besides it seems Eller will have offensively better linemates next season - picking two of Kostitsyn, Desharnais and Darche maybe.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Any update on Desharnais, now?

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Thierrynski

Great news! The kid is golden!

Thierrynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Mr Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
If he plays the way he did at the end of the season...I'd say he can put up 25-35 points which is reasonable for a center his age and given the position he'll be put it.

I still think Eller can turn into a shutdown center man who can in his prime put up 45-55 points a year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYUu2...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYfyD5J0tng

That is all

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:11 PM
shamrun

That second goal shows that he has good hands in closed space. It was a nice goal.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:29 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Paid his dues? When? Seventeen points in 77 games is decent for a rookie playing limited minutes, but not quite enough to earn top 6 spot. Besides it seems Eller will have offensively better linemates next season - picking two of Kostitsyn, Desharnais and Darche maybe.
Yup. Allow him to continue to grow in the third line center position. He should be able to take control of his match-ups this season.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:52 PM
habsrule22

Lars should also start the season with some pretty good players

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:58 PM
kassian

At 6'3'', 205, he could perhaps turn into a light version of Anze Kopitar. I expect him to put up something like 45 points.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:00 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson Hoggs View Post
At 6'3'', 205, he could perhaps turn into a light version of Anze Kopitar. I expect him to put up something like 45 points.
6'1", 6'2", 6'3" ...

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote