HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lars Eller ready for season opener.

Old
08-13-2011, 11:08 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Effort surhumain? What was Dube smoking when he said that?
My personal guess? A dube?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
curious, what makes you think he's going to go from 17 to 70+ points, that is quite the jump.

Personally, I'll be stoked if he doubles his production and gets 34 points. People expect too much of developing players imo.
70 is a big stretch, 30-40 would b solid, but if he's adjusted to the length of the season, healthy & plays with anywhere near the intention & drive he played with in the playoffs, i think ~50pts is well within his reach

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
70 is a big stretch, 30-40 would b solid, but if he's adjusted to the length of the season, healthy & plays with anywhere near the intention & drive he played with in the playoffs, i think ~50pts is well within his reach
50 points requires power play time that he is not likely to get on this team, with Desharnias as probaby a better powerplay center at this point. 30 ES points is a good goal, that's essentially scoring like a top-six forward on 5 on 5 while being on the third line.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:54 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
50 points requires power play time that he is not likely to get on this team, with Desharnias as probaby a better powerplay center at this point. 30 ES points is a good goal, that's essentially scoring like a top-six forward on 5 on 5 while being on the third line.
I don't see why that's not a possibility, when you consider the talent that will likely be on the 3rd line.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 03:58 PM
neofury*

I hope Eller has a great year but I have a feeling he'll have a slow start. Better season still than last, I think by the end of this season maybe beginning of next we'll start to see the true offensive side of Eller. His injury will be a quick come back if he's ready by game #1. I can't wait to see how well he plays. I'm hoping I'm wrong and he steals 2nd line center job this year but at the same time that would mean Gomer is playing terrible which I don't want.

Expecting him to be improved offensively for the first couple months I think might be unrealistic but if he does pull it off I'll welcome it. I know he's going to be a star down the road just seems like they're taking his progression very gradually.

Old
08-14-2011, 05:04 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I don't see why that's not a possibility, when you consider the talent that will likely be on the 3rd line.
Yea he is going to light it up with Moen on his wing. Your also overlooking the possibility of DD stealing the 3 line centre job. It's more realistic than Eller tripling his rookie pointtotal to 50 points.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 05:32 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Yea he is going to light it up with Moen on his wing. Your also overlooking the possibility of DD stealing the 3 line centre job. It's more realistic than Eller tripling his rookie pointtotal to 50 points.
Pardon?

I don't expect Moen to be on his line at all.

DD won't steal the 3rd line center job, he's not a 4th line centerman and Eller doesn't play well on the wing.

DD-Eller-Kostitsyn is what I expect the 3rd line to be. and 30 points isn't out of the question at all.

I never said he'd get 50, so I'm not sure what that comment has to do with anything.

Old
08-14-2011, 06:35 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Pardon?

I don't expect Moen to be on his line at all.

DD won't steal the 3rd line center job, he's not a 4th line centerman and Eller doesn't play well on the wing.

DD-Eller-Kostitsyn is what I expect the 3rd line to be. and 30 points isn't out of the question at all.

I never said he'd get 50, so I'm not sure what that comment has to do with anything.
Agree with this. I've even read an article where desharnais comments on how it was getting easier with regards to playing wing. I have a feeling he'll be playing wing more often than not.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Agree with this. I've even read an article where desharnais comments on how it was getting easier with regards to playing wing. I have a feeling he'll be playing wing more often than not.

Wait, what? When did Desharnais say that? If what you're saying is true then you know that's the plan for him...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 06:45 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Wait, what? When did Desharnais say that? If what you're saying is true then you know that's the plan for him...
I'm pretty confident there was an article a few months back maybe where he talked about it. I'm really not good at remembering where I read things, as most of the time I just follow links posted here.

Old
08-14-2011, 06:54 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I'm pretty confident there was an article a few months back maybe where he talked about it. I'm really not good at remembering where I read things, as most of the time I just follow links posted here.
I'll admit, it would be nice if Eller could adapt better on the wing because he is more suited to play on the wing than Desharnais...but that's the way it goes.

Old
08-14-2011, 07:00 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I'll admit, it would be nice if Eller could adapt better on the wing because he is more suited to play on the wing than Desharnais...but that's the way it goes.
I dunno, I like them both a lot, and while desharnais will be viewed as the better playmaker for the next little while I wouldn't be surprised to see eller surpass him in a few years. Kid has some great vision. I like them both at centre, but at wing I'd much prefer have desharnais there. Eller seemed really out of his element when he was placed at wing but desharnais looked just fine.

Old
08-14-2011, 07:03 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
I dunno, I like them both a lot, and while desharnais will be viewed as the better playmaker for the next little while I wouldn't be surprised to see eller surpass him in a few years. Kid has some great vision. I like them both at centre, but at wing I'd much prefer have desharnais there. Eller seemed really out of his element when he was placed at wing but desharnais looked just fine.
Yeah I just think with Ellers size and speed he'd be a better fit on the wing.

Totally agree with everything you've said though. I can't wait to see what Eller is like in a couple of seasons.

One of about...6 reasons I can think of why the habs "weak prospect pool" is completely meaningless.

Old
08-14-2011, 07:07 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

Totally agree with everything you've said though. I can't wait to see what Eller is like in a couple of seasons.

One of about...6 reasons I can think of why the habs "weak prospect pool" is completely meaningless.
Another reason why I love eller at centre over desharnais is that I think eller gains the zone better. When he was actually allowed to carry the puck, eller gained the zoned with his shiftiness and made it look almost effortless. Not sure if he'd have as much room doing it up the wing.

Agree about the prospect pool. You gotta empty the cupboards every once and a while, and having a full stocked cupboard just will hardly ever be a reality when you don't get top picks like a lot of bottom dwelling teams do.

Old
08-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Forsead

Quote:

Well IMO a guy of Desharnais size is more suited to play wings. Look at guys like Sullivan, St-Louis, Gionta and even Fleury.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2011, 01:07 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Well IMO a guy of Desharnais size is more suited to play wings. Look at guys like Sullivan, St-Louis, Gionta and even Fleury.
Those guys are all really fast, Desharnais isn't.

I agree that you don't really want a small centerman, I am just saying that all things being equal at this point I would probably prefer Eller on the wing with his size and potential to throw the body.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:20 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Those guys are all really fast, Desharnais isn't.

I agree that you don't really want a small centerman, I am just saying that all things being equal at this point I would probably prefer Eller on the wing with his size and potential to throw the body.
True but I have to admit DD has looked a lot better at wing than center thus far.

Old
08-15-2011, 04:36 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
True but I have to admit DD has looked a lot better at wing than center thus far.
Yup. Looking forward to a line of DD-Eller-Kostitsyn I think tehy will be able to really provide some offence for the habs next year

Old
08-15-2011, 04:37 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
THISSSSSS, Eller has looked his best playing center and looked out of place on the wing, and Desharnais has looked his best on the wing, EXCEPT for the pp where he has more room to maneuver

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Mag1328

Desharnais is the better faceoff guy though.

Eller is hopeful he'll be ready for season opener but it's not set in stone yet.

Mag1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:14 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag1328 View Post
Desharnais is the better faceoff guy though.

Eller is hopeful he'll be ready for season opener but it's not set in stone yet.
You can always let your wing take the faceoff

And I'd also like to see the part where DD is saying he's more comfortable playing wing. To me, he fits as a winger, but I never heard him say he's okay with it. That would be great news and hopefully Martin and co. aren't dumb enough to pick apart that 3rd line.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
You can always let your wing take the faceoff And I'd also like to see the part where DD is saying he's more comfortable playing wing. To me, he fits as a winger, but I never heard him say he's okay with it. That would be great news and hopefully Martin and co. aren't dumb enough to pick apart that 3rd line.
It's what the Habs did the entire playoffs. If the winger is more suited for faceoffs on one side (right or left) vs. the center, the let the winger take the faceoff.

If DD and Eller are on the same line, they can alternate who takes faceoffs.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'd be happy with a 40 point campaign by Eller.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:00 AM
SB164

New CyberPresse article on Lars Eller (in French)

- Says that although there's no date set for his return, he'll either be ready for the season opener, or miss the first week.

- After working out during the off-season, he now weighs 202 pounds.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...3_section_POS1

Last edited by SB164: 08-17-2011 at 06:07 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 07:30 AM
durojean

desharnais played wing for only a period. Saying he's a better winger is far fetched. But it was the 1st team the two players with him were real nhlers (gomez gionta) and he looked pretty good

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote