HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lars Eller ready for season opener.

Old
08-17-2011, 08:03 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Pardon?

I don't expect Moen to be on his line at all.

DD won't steal the 3rd line center job, he's not a 4th line centerman and Eller doesn't play well on the wing.

DD-Eller-Kostitsyn is what I expect the 3rd line to be. and 30 points isn't out of the question at all.

I never said he'd get 50, so I'm not sure what that comment has to do with anything.
Here's a newsflash for you, your not the head coach, Jaques Martin is. Moen was good enough in Martin's eyes to play in the top 6 last year. Do you honestly think Martin is going to keep a DD-Eller-Kostitsyn line together? I bet Moen gets 3rd line time at least 50% of the next year.

The reason I commented about 50 is because the first line that you quoted said he would get 50.

Its also possible that DD plays center because thats what he's played his entire career so for you to assume that he's going to be guaranteed to play wing is also a mistake. HF posters making lineups doesn't translate to reality, just because we all love AK-Eller-DD doesn't mean its going to happen all the time.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:05 AM
katatoniak

vCash: 500
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...7_section_POS1

Eller could be ready for season opener. He's in Quebec since a week now, has been able to train at 100% and he's now 202 lbs

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:25 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Another reason why I love eller at centre over desharnais is that I think eller gains the zone better. When he was actually allowed to carry the puck, eller gained the zoned with his shiftiness and made it look almost effortless. Not sure if he'd have as much room doing it up the wing.

Agree about the prospect pool. You gotta empty the cupboards every once and a while, and having a full stocked cupboard just will hardly ever be a reality when you don't get top picks like a lot of bottom dwelling teams do.
Thank god we have a guy like Scott Gomez in our system while developing a big center like this. He could definitely learn a thing or two from Gomer when it comes to gaining the zone. After he learns that perfectly he should then ignore Gomer's tips on what to do with the puck after and seek out Tomas Plekanec's services

But on a serious note it's great for Eller's development to have Gomez and Plekanec in the lineup. He can learn a lot from these two guys and as much as people hate Gomez I'm sure that factored into trading for him. Our management has had a hole at the "big center" position for a while and it was pretty well known we'd be acquiring one be it Eller or somebody else. Glad it was Eller though because he seems like a "Montreal guy". (good fit)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 08:28 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Here's a newsflash for you, your not the head coach, Jaques Martin is. Moen was good enough in Martin's eyes to play in the top 6 last year. Do you honestly think Martin is going to keep a DD-Eller-Kostitsyn line together? I bet Moen gets 3rd line time at least 50% of the next year.

The reason I commented about 50 is because the first line that you quoted said he would get 50.

Its also possible that DD plays center because thats what he's played his entire career so for you to assume that he's going to be guaranteed to play wing is also a mistake. HF posters making lineups doesn't translate to reality, just because we all love AK-Eller-DD doesn't mean its going to happen all the time.
Exactly. I think everyone wants this:

Cammy-Plek-Cole
Pacio-Gomez-Gio
DD-Eller-Kosty
Moen-White-Darche

Or at least something close to that. What I could see Martin doing:

Cammy-Plek-Cole
Pacio-Gomez-Gio
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
DD-White-Darche

Not sure why DD is suited for a 4th line role but I don't doubt we'll see him playing on White's wing and taking draws a lot of the time either way.

In JM's defense though that 3rd line would be good even if Moen isn't the greatest offensively. That line would have people looking over their shoulder. Not because any of these guys are dirty but because they're all big and if they hit you it's going to hurt especially freight train Andrei.

I just hope Andrei has a good year on that line and realizes "3rd line" is an arbitrary number on this squad, if you play well even on the 4th line you'll get good minutes and PP time. JM isn't trying to punish Andrei he's trying to have a balanced and effective top 9. If Andrei wants 1st line minutes we'll trade him to Florida where he can be their star player.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...7_section_POS1

Eller could be ready for season opener. He's in Quebec since a week now, has been able to train at 100% and he's now 202 lbs
That's great news, 15 pounds of muscle is a hell of a summer. He kept getting better and better late in the season and playoffs, I can't wait to watch Lars this year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 03:41 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That's great news, 15 pounds of muscle is a hell of a summer. He kept getting better and better late in the season and playoffs, I can't wait to watch Lars this year
He should be even harder to knock off the puck now which should suit his style of play very well.

Looking forward to watching his progression and whether he can make Gomez expendable this season (although I hope Gomez can rebound as well).

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
He should be even harder to knock off the puck now which should suit his style of play very well.

Looking forward to watching his progression and whether he can make Gomez expendable this season (although I hope Gomez can rebound as well).
Maybe he will at the end of the season. Anyways our 3rd line of Eller, Desharnais and Kostitsyn should be dam exciting to watch this season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 03:55 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Eller is a tank!

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Exactly. I think everyone wants this:

Cammy-Plek-Cole
Pacio-Gomez-Gio
DD-Eller-Kosty
Moen-White-Darche

Or at least something close to that. What I could see Martin doing:

Cammy-Plek-Cole
Pacio-Gomez-Gio
Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn
DD-White-Darche

Not sure why DD is suited for a 4th line role but I don't doubt we'll see him playing on White's wing and taking draws a lot of the time either way.

In JM's defense though that 3rd line would be good even if Moen isn't the greatest offensively. That line would have people looking over their shoulder. Not because any of these guys are dirty but because they're all big and if they hit you it's going to hurt especially freight train Andrei.

I just hope Andrei has a good year on that line and realizes "3rd line" is an arbitrary number on this squad, if you play well even on the 4th line you'll get good minutes and PP time. JM isn't trying to punish Andrei he's trying to have a balanced and effective top 9. If Andrei wants 1st line minutes we'll trade him to Florida where he can be their star player.
DD would center that 4th line not White. Of the two Desharnais is much more suited to play in the middle. White can play center but his skill set fits in better as a RW in the NHL.

The big advantage of Desharnais on the 4th line is how he generally will outplay the 4th liners he'd be playing against leading to a good amount of supplementary offense.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:22 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
DD would center that 4th line not White. Of the two Desharnais is much more suited to play in the middle. White can play center but his skill set fits in better as a RW in the NHL.

The big advantage of Desharnais on the 4th line is how he generally will outplay the 4th liners he'd be playing against leading to a good amount of supplementary offense.
4 offensive lines pretty much always fail.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:26 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Maybe he will at the end of the season. Anyways our 3rd line of Eller, Desharnais and Kostitsyn should be dam exciting to watch this season
I think if PG doesn t get another centerman, you ll see DD as the 4 th line centerman and either Moen or Darche on the 3 rd line.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 04:34 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I remember when we had four 4th lines and did pretty well.

Old
08-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Chicago and Philadelphia have used that strategy to some strong success recently. When Montreal employed it for the first half of 2008-9 they were the strongest they'd been on ES for a long time before they collapsed from injuries and internal problems in the second half. For Montreal the real defensive line is always going to be Plekanec's while the 2nd and 3rd units mop up the lesser matchup assignments. Pretty similar to how Boston uses their best forward in Bergeron or Vancouver uses Kesler or Detroit Zetterberg. This leads to less production from the top of the line up but much more from the bottom.

What role the 4th line plays on pretty much any team is virtually irrelevant because they play only a small fraction of the game. Using Desharnais to torch goons and grinders is as good a strategy as any.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 05:23 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I remember when we had four 4th lines and did pretty well.
Didn't we finish first that year?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 05:30 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Didn't we finish first that year?
lol yeah. Good times.

Old
08-17-2011, 05:47 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

Thanks for the newsflash champ.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Forsead

I could see GM doing Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn when we need to protect the lead and Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn when we need a goal.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I could see GM doing Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn when we need to protect the lead and Desharnais-Eller-Kostitsyn when we need a goal.
IMO Desharnais isn't that much of a reliability.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Liability?

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:14 PM
EveryDay

wow 6.2/202

Finally a big Center !!!!
Go Lars Go

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Still Moen is our second best defensive forward on the team right now (best being Plekanec) and if Martin want to shutdown other teams I can see him using a Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn to give a break our two top lines.(Eller is pretty good in his zone and him and Kost can have great puck control, Kostitsyn is big and strong and he hit and wasn't bad in his zone last season).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
wow 6.2/202

Finally a big Center !!!!
Go Lars Go
He was 199 lbs at the start of last season but lost around 12 lbs which is alot, I hope he doesn't loose has much this season.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2011, 06:34 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Chicago and Philadelphia have used that strategy to some strong success recently. When Montreal employed it for the first half of 2008-9 they were the strongest they'd been on ES for a long time before they collapsed from injuries and internal problems in the second half. For Montreal the real defensive line is always going to be Plekanec's while the 2nd and 3rd units mop up the lesser matchup assignments. Pretty similar to how Boston uses their best forward in Bergeron or Vancouver uses Kesler or Detroit Zetterberg. This leads to less production from the top of the line up but much more from the bottom.

What role the 4th line plays on pretty much any team is virtually irrelevant because they play only a small fraction of the game. Using Desharnais to torch goons and grinders is as good a strategy as any.
I had completly forgot about that. While the 4th line had somewhat offensive talent, they were actually bottom sixers.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote