Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Wheeler in Winnipeg

Old
07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
He's a real good value at that money IMO.

07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheBear View Post
Our opinions on Wheels are miles apart Doj. Agree to disagree on this one.
With ya there, although I would say he showed more consistency in his willingness to go into the corners, his battle and compete level once there were so frustrating to watch. I recall a sequence, wish I could remember who they were playing, against a small D-man who not only bumped him back, but took the puck right under his nose with little to no reaction from Blake.

And his on ice hockey IQ via decision making both with and without the puck had become disturbingly poor. In Winnipeg, there will be more pressure on him, that isn`t a fan base where only the diehards will detect poor compete levels, they know their hockey and they will let him know if and when he`s doing his job.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:22 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
He's a real good value at that money IMO.
With the market as it is, sure, but I`ll still take a versatile gamer like Pevs at a fraction of Blake`s pricetag any day of the week. I just see Blake as continuing to be a guy who will have fan bases asking "is this it" , you know there is more in the tank than he gives you...

Old
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Waltah*

i heard blake signed to oearly and could have got more money. he made it to the deal a moment before his agent.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Actp
DO NOT TRADE KREJCI!

Fairly good value for Wheeler. He got smart and did not go to arbitration this time. I think he will have a pretty good year in Winipeg, scoring around 55-60 points. He is on a team without much depth and that should create a pretty good situation for him. He can produce without having his lack of agility, softness and lack of sense be too closely monitored.

Actp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:30 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Good luck to him. I was always indifferent about the guy and thought he probably could have used some time in Providence, but the fact he just kind of fell into our lap was always a bonus. I hope he rises to the level that was expected.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:30 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
i heard blake signed to oearly and could have got more money. he made it to the deal a moment before his agent.
Kinda like Kramer accepting the offer from the Coffee Company before Chiles has the chance to stop him???

Old
07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
With the market as it is, sure, but I`ll still take a versatile gamer like Pevs at a fraction of Blake`s pricetag any day of the week. I just see Blake as continuing to be a guy who will have fan bases asking "is this it" , you know there is more in the tank than he gives you...
That's not really a fair comparison. Peverley is a bargain of epic proportions, really, so of course we would prefer him. $2.5 is pretty much fair for Wheeler - he stepped up when he was put in an expanded role in Atlanta, and it's a pretty small gamble that it will carry over.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 12:58 PM
chsb

My opinion is that Pouliot could be just as good as Wheeler and probably more upside.

Wheeler is overpaid at that price.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Fat Jughead

Too bad he didn't quite get it together for the B's. It's like they had to break em down to build em back up, and it took em a while to match up what he knew CJ wanted from em, with what his muscle memory wanted to do.

It's pretty frustrating to watch someone that big and skilled go through the struggles he was going through, but I also think he was starting to come around in the physical battle department, just about the time he got traded. Just ran out of time on a Cup contender that couldn't afford to wait any longer. Most other teams woulda been happy to stick it out with em.

We got the better of that deal right now, but I think Winnipeg will be happy with Wheeler and Stu for a very long time.

Stu's got Captain Jet written all over em. Only a matter of time. Best of luck guys

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Nah. Especially not given what he showed in Atlanta after the trade (17 points over 23 games, ~.7PPG for 2.5 isn't bad)

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 01:33 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
Nice

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Good deal for both sides.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Best of luck to Wheels. He's a good kid.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote