HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 PP Discussion

Old
08-03-2011, 10:39 PM
OSUlakers

vCash: 500
2011-2012 PP Discussion

I'm sure this has been brought up a few times throughout various threads, but I've been really excited about next year's PP.

I know there are going to be lots of different opinions about how things will turn out, but one thing I'm very excited for is Vanek continuing his momentum from the second half of last year with the addition of Ehrhoff's skill set.

Without doubt, communication between Ehrhoff and Vanek shouldn't be a problem - both German speaking. We all know Ehrhoff's role on the PP in Vancouver - not only was he a good puck distributor but he shot the puck consistently, and got the puck through. A lot of Ehrhoff's success on the stat sheet was because of Ryan Kesler (screening goalies/deflecting pucks/creating havoc in front of the net), and I think a similar relationship is going to develop between Vanek and Ehrhoff.

Vanek's ability to screen / deflect / create scoring opportunities in front of the net and Ehrhoff's lack of hesitation to shoot the puck and get it through is really going to be a key ingredient for our PP this year and the many years to come. It's very exciting to know that Vanek will get every opportunity to return to his 40 goal form.

I'm not sure if Ehrhoff's numbers will be the same they were in Vancouver but I do know that he's going to be a tremendous help to Vanek.

OSUlakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:01 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

He (Ehrhoff) wasn't known for distribution on the PP. He was a triggerman. But I, too, am excited for the PP this coming year.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Old Navy Goat

But Roy will be back which means our PP is doomed to failure as he'll try to do everything himself, lose the puck and we'll spend another 30sec trying to get it back.

It'll be nice having a triggerman on the point that can actually get pucks through to the net. Entries, possession etc will still be their weakest link but hopefully Adams can work on that and improve that aspect of their game.

Of course, it would make me laugh if by chance Vancouver's PP rating were to plummet while Buffalo's climbed in proficiency especially after seeing some of the threads on the main page.

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

I can see Ehrhoff getting 45 points easily with Vanek in front of the net.
Also Vanek will probably be closer to 40+ goals again.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:49 AM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I can see Ehrhoff getting 45 points easily with Vanek in front of the net.
Also Vanek will probably be closer to 40+ goals again.
It would be funny and entertaining, if Ehrhoff surpasses 50 points when everyone predicts him to regress with new-team-new-system and "less talented" forwads (I predict him to regress in his point totals, too).

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 09:05 AM
OSUlakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
He (Ehrhoff) wasn't known for distribution on the PP. He was a triggerman. But I, too, am excited for the PP this coming year.
Yep, he was the triggerman but plenty of times he made crisp passes down low which led to scoring opportunities; hence him distributing as well.

OSUlakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Xbardown11

I hope we have 2 D-men on the points for all PP's. especially when i think we may have given up the most shorty's last year

Xbardown11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbardown11 View Post
I hope we have 2 D-men on the points for all PP's. especially when i think we may have given up the most shorty's last year
No reason not to with Erhoff, sekera, Leopold, and Myers all in the fold.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 03:19 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUlakers View Post
Yep, he was the triggerman but plenty of times he made crisp passes down low which led to scoring opportunities; hence him distributing as well.
Semantics, but I view a PPQB as a distributor - someone who holds the puck, looks for his options, shows some patience and some possession ability, etc. Ehrhoff was never really in control of the puck on the PP. It seemed like, if he wasn't shooting the puck, he was faking a shot and passing it quickly.

Either way, I'm amped to see the addition.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Sabres1026*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbardown11 View Post
Agree and I hope to never see Pominville playing the point again. With Ehrhoff, Myers, Leopold, Sekera and Gragnani(when in the lineup) they've got to use 2 D men.

Sabres1026* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Insomniac99

I still think we need a new PP coach.

Insomniac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Sabres1026*

Quote:
Originally Posted by screecwe View Post
Adams.

Sabres1026* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 07:33 PM
kirby11

as long as I don't see that stupid drop pass to a dman near center ice literally every time we need to enter the zone on a power play, i'll be happy.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
as long as I don't see that stupid drop pass to a dman near center ice literally every time we need to enter the zone on a power play, i'll be happy.
Amen, brother!

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 10:55 PM
MyersMagic57*

Anyone think that Vanek could be successful on the PP in a similar roll like Stamkos has. Leino could act as a St. Louis and find him open and he has one hell of a shot

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 12:50 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Giving Vanek more all-around responsibility on the power play, rather than being Tomas Holmstrom with better hands is pretty crucial. He got those looks and was a huge playmaker on the PP last season. He'll still got his deflections too. Stafford's emergence as a net presence was a big reason for Vanek's increased role as well.

Anyway, here's how I'd like to see things:
Stafford-Leino/Ennis-Vanek
Ehrhoff-Myers

Leino/Ennis-Roy-Pominville
Sekera-Leopold

I also hate there not being a spot for Gerbe. Maybe as a pointman... Food for thought.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
Anyone think that Vanek could be successful on the PP in a similar roll like Stamkos has. Leino could act as a St. Louis and find him open and he has one hell of a shot
Based on what Ruff described of Leino being adept at carrying the puck over the blue line, turning and holding onto it til he finds an open teammate - a la a "button-hook" pattern - I can see the trailers (typically the defensemen) on offensive rushes being the greater benefactors of his passing than either of his wingers that will be going to the net.

Old
08-05-2011, 11:56 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by screecwe View Post
You're close.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Giving Vanek more all-around responsibility on the power play, rather than being Tomas Holmstrom with better hands is pretty crucial. He got those looks and was a huge playmaker on the PP last season. He'll still got his deflections too. Stafford's emergence as a net presence was a big reason for Vanek's increased role as well.
I agree - Vanek has deft stickhandling moves that he flashed more often his first 2-3 years when he was given more room to operate; using him only in an Andreychuk/Kerr role that stands still in front of the net for deflections/garbage rebounds seems to be a one-dimensional role (even though he's the best on the team at it) which doesn't take full advantage of his other skills IMO. The trouble is that Gaustad is the only other forward with the size/strength to act in that net presence role and his finishing ability is terrible. I'd love for Vanek to be a puck carrier more often on zone entries but there are other players that can do that too.

Quote:
Anyway, here's how I'd like to see things:
Stafford-Leino/Ennis-Vanek
Ehrhoff-Myers

Leino/Ennis-Roy-Pominville
Sekera-Leopold
I'm sure the units will flip-flop throughout the year but I suspect that Ruff will go with the proven Roy on his first unit and use Leino on the second unit.

Quote:
I also hate there not being a spot for Gerbe. Maybe as a pointman... Food for thought.
If Gerbe keeps up his hardworking habits, I'm sure he'll see some PP time - as noted, players run hot and cold throughout the year as will the PP so Ruff will surely use a lot of different combos at different times.

Old
08-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Roy was getting time on the point, with a throwback nod to his days with Kitchener. It was working to an extent and it wouldn't surprise me if they have him back there at times in a four-forward look. Getting more video on these guys standing still or ragging the puck rather than moving themselves and the biscuit top openings would be the first thing Adams should be doing right now. He could have hours of footage to show them on day 1 of camp.