HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

will the sabres play season games back in Rochester?

Old
07-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Boose30

vCash: 500
will the sabres play season games back in Rochester?

Remember when golisano made it possible for a season or so to have the sabres play in Rochester? Well do you think that pegula will attempt to do the same thing?

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 07:50 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose30 View Post
Remember when golisano made it possible for a season or so to have the sabres play in Rochester? Well do you think that pegula will attempt to do the same thing?
If I recall correctly, didn't the Sabres game in Rochester only draw around 8,000, or some dreadful number like that? I doubt they'll repeat that experiment.

Besides, I think the main reason that Golisano wanted to do it was because he was a Rochester guy, not because it necessarily made any business sense.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
If I recall correctly, didn't the Sabres game in Rochester only draw around 8,000, or some dreadful number like that? I doubt they'll repeat that experiment.

Besides, I think the main reason that Golisano wanted to do it was because he was a Rochester guy, not because it necessarily made any business sense.

There were two. Sold out against the Devils in the year before the lockout and then the Caps game the year after which drew 8552.

Even if the game was a guaranteed sellout it doesn't make any financial sense to play a regular season game in Rochester, IMO.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:06 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

http://espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore/_/id...buffalo-sabres

Attendance: 11,146

I doubt they would do it this year since they already 'lost' one home game to Europe. In future years, I could see it. They'd probably be glad to take the hit at the gate to drum up more Sabres support in Rochester. I could even see them putting an Amerks game or two at HSBC to reciprocate.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I think they'll start with a preseason game or two next season and see how it goes. I'm sure they'll involve Rochester in some capacity going forward--I think moving Dev Camp there may be a real option--but the extent to which Rochester will be involved remains to be seen.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 09:22 AM
skibum

It would be a great idea, even if it didn't make money on game night, to show a little appreciation for the fans in Rochester. It would also be nice to have a Sabres "home" game without all the complacent season ticket holders who treat games like another boring day at the office. Not saying it's everyone, but lately the home game crowds have been very subdued.

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
The Sabres have one of the highest payrolls in the league and one of the lowest ticket prices. While Pegula is willing to lose money, I don't think his long term business strategy is to take millions in losses every year. I don't think he views the Sabres as his private charity. He wants to develop it into a business with revenues that can compete with the large markets. I expect them to raise ticket prices to the maximum the market will bear and develop new revenue streams. One of the ways to increase the price the market will bear is to increase the size of the market. That could involve playing some games in Rochester. Detroit has been cited as their model on the hockey end. I think the Penguins are their model on the business end.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Hell no. Sick of losing home games

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:23 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
There were two. Sold out against the Devils in the year before the lockout and then the Caps game the year after which drew 8552.

Even if the game was a guaranteed sellout it doesn't make any financial sense to play a regular season game in Rochester, IMO.
Yeah, I didn't even go to the Caps game. The ticket prices were outrageous. I don't think the Sabres will play another regular season game in Rochester. They'll lose way too much money.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:32 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think they'll start with a preseason game or two next season and see how it goes. I'm sure they'll involve Rochester in some capacity going forward--I think moving Dev Camp there may be a real option--but the extent to which Rochester will be involved remains to be seen.
Regier said during the Rochester affiliation conference that Rochester was going to be a part of the physical market going forward. Obviously not this year due to the European start, but things like training camp, preseason and even a regular season game were left on the table as possibilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I expect them to raise ticket prices to the maximum the market will bear and develop new revenue streams. One of the ways to increase the price the market will bear is to increase the size of the market. That could involve playing some games in Rochester.
On the mark as always. I think playing one or potentially two games per year in Rochester makes a lot of sense. You may take a small hit at the gate, but you'll more than make up for that in shares of ad revenue, merchandise, and the like by adding back in another 700K-viewer television market.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Dabs21Nike

One game a year isn't a big deal to me. Rochester is a big Sabres market and it helps to give them a little something once in a while.

Dabs21Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 11:26 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
So average attendance for the two games was 9,849 (87.9% of capacity).

Don't think it's worth it. Pegula is willing to take losses to win, but I don't think he's willing to just throw money away and take losses without a sufficiently good reason.

I understand the value of regionalization, but there are other ways to do that with Rochester (Exhibition and preseason games. Training camps. Ticket packages that include Amerks and Sabres games at a good price. Chartered busses from Rochester to HSBC and back - party packages).

Plenty of things that can be done that don't involve just passing up on 8,000 tickets. In a gate-driven league, that's a significant number. As noted above, the Sabres already have some of the highest payroll and lowest ticket prices in the league. That makes it crucial for them to maximize attendance.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Ghills23

Preseason games sure. Regular season? No way. Way to much money to lose.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote